The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-17-2015 12:29 PM
28 12
tools
    xiaomi-windows.jpg
    So, Microsoft teamed up with Xioami... kind of. That's absolutely awesome news. At least for me. For a while I was considering Xiaomi Mi4 as my new phone but ultimately decided not to buy it because of Android. If there was possibility to buy Mi4 (I love that design!) but with Windows Phone, I wouldn't think twice about it!

What about you? The only thing I'm slightly afraid of right now is unavailability outside of China. I mean, it's easy to get the phone itself into Europe or USA but if that WP ROM will be available only in chinese...
    03-18-2015 06:15 AM
    I'll buy a Lumia with W10😃

But if this gets wider coverage, I'll recommend it to a friend. I mean seriously: You can turn an HTC One M8 into an HTC one m8 for Windows!
    03-18-2015 06:20 AM
    Obviously.
    Is there any reason left to buy Lumia?

Buy Xiaomi and enjoy both Android and Windows10.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    03-18-2015 06:41 AM
    Obviously.
    Is there any reason left to buy Lumia?

Buy Xiaomi and enjoy both Android and Windows10.
    Reasons to buy Lumia

1.Best cameras (purview,Zeiss lens,OIS,dynamic flash,rich capture,4k,2k,several microphones for Dolby surround sound)
    2.Best looking devices alongside apple and HTC..(Samsung,lenovo,huawei,etc..dont make phones that look nearly as good as apple,HTC, or Nokia or wat Microsoft has made so far)
    3.clearblack screens
    4."hey Cortana" activation
    5.Dolby enhancements for listening to music with headphones
    6.lumia designs blend better with windows better than any other OEM
    7.best support
    8. Wireless charging with nicely made matching chargers
    9. Glance
    10. Color enhancements/adjustability
    11. Exclusive apps (atleast as of now til w10
    I'm sure there's more but this is all I got for now

But to the OP, if u like the xiami mi4 GO FOR IT😉 I dont see why not, I wud just wait for w10 to be officially available for androids tho
    prasath1234 likes this.
    03-18-2015 06:58 AM
    I can see this as a good thing for a couple reasons, all speculation, but if true it would a huge boon for MS. if the phone was somehow able to run both OS, that could be seen as a gateway to get people to transition over, and slowly chip away at the Chinese market. some developers likely won't make a universal WP10 app, and I'm sure someone out there wouldn't mind having both on one phone just so they can keep that one app in their pocket if they so choose. at the same time, if they can get a large share of the chinese market to use WP10, that may force some developer's hands to start making WP apps where they have blatantly ignored it in the past. If MS can get 1-2% of the Chinese market, that's probably equal to half the US market.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    03-18-2015 02:01 PM
    Dual boot OSs are always exciting for geeks and when it comes to Xiaomi I think they make good products and their strategy worked well so far by cutting the costs.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-18-2015 02:14 PM
    It most definitely won't be dual boot. You will go with either WP or Android.

But to the OP, if u like the xiami mi4 GO FOR IT�� I dont see why not, I wud just wait for w10 to be officially available for androids tho
    I wanna stick with Windows Phone so Xiaomi Mi4 isn't really a choice for me right now. But Mi4 with Windows Phone? I'd stay in line for that. Although I'd worry about that LTE. I live in Europe and Chinese LTE is of little use in here :o/
    Last edited by r0st4; 03-18-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    03-18-2015 02:24 PM
    Reasons to buy Lumia

1.Best cameras (purview,Zeiss lens,OIS,dynamic flash,rich capture,4k,2k,several microphones for Dolby surround sound)
    2.Best looking devices alongside apple and HTC..(Samsung,lenovo,huawei,etc..dont make phones that look nearly as good as apple,HTC, or Nokia or wat Microsoft has made so far)
    3.clearblack screens
    4."hey Cortana" activation
    5.Dolby enhancements for listening to music with headphones
    6.lumia designs blend better with windows better than any other OEM
    7.best support
    8. Wireless charging with nicely made matching chargers
    9. Glance
    10. Color enhancements/adjustability
    11. Exclusive apps (atleast as of now til w10
    I'm sure there's more but this is all I got for now

But to the OP, if u like the xiami mi4 GO FOR IT I dont see why not, I wud just wait for w10 to be officially available for androids tho
    1. Agreed.(But considering price range Xioami is better)
    2.Design is matter of perspective. (Xiaomi phone design aren't any less than Lumia )
    3.Super Amoled, Super LCD 3 etc. Lumia does have a good screen but not the best looking an Xioami also have good looking screen.
    4. Cortana also coming on Android(and Android already have OK Google which is available everywhere and it doesn't need SD800 and plus processor to work. It can work on any chipset)
    5. May be you don't know but Lumia aren't the best music phone. But again Xiaomi aren't bad in that.(Dolby enhancements also available on other Chinese OEM phones may be soon on Xioami.)
    6.Same as 2.
    7. Don't know about that. Not much of info available yet.
    8.Xioami have fast charging.(Xiaomi Mi 4 - Full phone specifications)
    9.Notificationn Light
    11. Hahaha. On apps part Xioami have upper hand (in both numbers and quality) Even own MS apps are better on Android than on WP. and what exclusive apps? may be those will also available in ROM.

Now why Xioami over Lumia.( I'll finished in just two points)
    1) Price - At half price you will get almost same specs as Lumia Flagship phones(excluding Pureview)
    2) Flexibility - You can easily switch between Android and W10 without spending a single penny.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    03-19-2015 02:42 AM
    I prefer Lumia :)
    03-19-2015 07:44 AM
    The west has already outsourced much of its manufacturing base to China. I don't want to support the outsourcing of design/engineering to China as well.

So no, I won't ever buy such a device. I'd prefer to spend a bit more, but at least know that I did what I could to prevent my families and friends jobs from being shipped overseas. I doubt there are enough of us to make a difference, but at least I'll have tried.

I'd prefer my dollars go to U.S. or European workers, but virtually anyplace is better than China.
    Last edited by a5cent; 03-19-2015 at 08:27 AM.
    Asskickulater and Guytronic like this.
    03-19-2015 08:13 AM
    The west has already outsourced much of its manufacturing base to China. I don't want to support the outsourcing of design/engineering to China as well.

So no, I won't ever buy such a device. I'd prefer to spend a bit more, but at least know that I did what I could to prevent my families and friends jobs from being shipped overseas. I doubt there are enough of us to make a difference, but at least I'll have tried.

I'd prefer my dollars go to U.S. or European workers, but virtually anyplace is better than China.
    I'm with a5cent, When I can, I always try to keep my money in my country, or at the very least out of china <_<
    a5cent likes this.
    03-22-2015 04:11 PM
    I'm with a5cent, When I can, I always try to keep my money in my country, or at the very least out of china <_<
    But I do not want give my money to US.
    China is also same as US.

Now if I think about this
    .. I have live in a cave to do that.

because every tech product is directly or indirectly related to USA and China and no matter what you do, your money going there.
    03-22-2015 05:16 PM

This post is xenophobous/racist, should be removed.
    Dellboy2012 likes this.
    03-22-2015 07:31 PM
    This post is xenophobous/racist, should be removed.
    You really need to lookup the meaning of the word "racist". :-/

Mine is an economic argument against the Chinese government, and is in no way a critique of the Chinese people, which far too often are also exploited and abused by said government.

If you're still confused, note that "China" is a country and being "Chinese" denotes a nationality, meaning neither denotes race. As such, my argument wouldn't be racist, even if it was directed against the Chinese population, which it isn't.

Anyway, if you disagree with a post you are expected to report it. Had you made this type of comment for anybody else's post I would have infracted you for backseat moderating. In this case I'll let your comment stand as it is... for educational purposes.

Any further posts on this topic will be deleted and/or infracted however.

Let's get this thread back on topic...
    03-22-2015 08:29 PM
    Chinese are amazing people, they deserve the jobs as much as any other worker in the world. Of course I'd buy a Xiaomi WP.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-22-2015 08:39 PM
    Chinese are amazing people, they deserve the jobs as much as any other worker in the world. Of course I'd buy a Xiaomi WP.
    There are amazing and great people in all countries and of all races and nationalities.

The Xiaomi phone looks nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    a5cent and Guytronic like this.
    03-22-2015 08:48 PM
    I'd surely buy it, it's a great phone. Their Android version is much better than the original. It has a great design and specs too.

2) Flexibility - You can easily switch between Android and W10 without spending a single penny.
    Huh? Easily? Ok, you can just flash it to change, but I would not call it "easy".

There's no dual boot, Xiaomi has already confirmed. Even though I believe the 16GB storage would allow easily.

Although I'd worry about that LTE. I live in Europe and Chinese LTE is of little use in here :o/
    Just check it.
    03-22-2015 09:51 PM
    I'd surely buy it, it's a great phone. Their Android version is much better than the original. It has a great design and specs too.

Huh? Easily? Ok, you can just flash it to change, but I would not call it "easy".

There's no dual boot, Xiaomi has already confirmed. Even though I believe the 16GB storage would allow easily.
    First thing. Original is Original. Nothing can beat that.

now back to the point

may be not for you but for others .......

Anyway you can also use launchers. or is that also "not easy"?
    03-22-2015 10:57 PM
    My vision of easy is of really easy. A click away. Of course it's still easy, but still requires some steps. I'd buy just for the possibility to change the OS whenever I wanted, like you I guess.
    03-23-2015 11:41 AM
    Would do it in a heartbeat if the price is right (which is not a problem since 90% of Xiaomi phones are bang for bucks, but Android).

Yay for Xiaomi! If Microsoft does not give me a dual sim flagship, I'd get a Xiaomi for my second phone and will still rock my Lumia 1520.
    03-24-2015 08:17 AM
    I would definitely buy it. What's important is availability. It shouldn't be restricted to one or two countries like the One M8 for Windows.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-11-2015 09:28 AM
    But I do not want give my money to US.
    China is also same as US.

Now if I think about this
    .. I have live in a cave to do that.

because every tech product is directly or indirectly related to USA and China and no matter what you do, your money going there.
    That's actually not quite correct. I've known this for a long time, but just recently found a simple graphic (based on numbers published in the WSJ) illustrating which countries contribute how much to building the iPhone:

page_19.jpg

So, you don't need to live in a cave. You just need to know and care enough to go looking for this information and factoring it into your purchasing decisions.

It's funny how Germans are usually completely surprised to learn that they contribute anything at all, while Americans are surprised to learn they barely contribute anything to the iPhone (for the U.S. it's just another huge point on the list of things contributing to the trade deficit).

So, sorry for taking this thread back to a slight off-topic point. I just wanted to show that if you care where your consumer dollars go, you can make meaningful choices.
    04-17-2015 04:15 AM
    That's actually not quite correct. I've known this for a long time, but just recently found a simple graphic (based on numbers published in the WSJ) illustrating which countries contribute how much to building the iPhone:
    That's where the money goes by share of the components used to build an iPhone, but it doesn't necessarily assuage the concerns of people who are opposed to worker exploitation. If we saw an infographic of who gets the profits from unit sales, the USA would be much higher. A chart demonstrating the wage levels of all the workers involved in getting that iPhone to you, country by country, would be an eye-opener as well. Apple is now trying to do a better job of persuading its partners to treat workers better, but only after many years of refusing to do so and making out like bandits; now, they deign to attend to moral issues.

We don't have to live in caves, and it is very hard to avoid exploitative markets when buying electronic goods, but we should still register our concerns if we have them. We shouldn't look for an easy way to close the door on thinking about these things.
    prasath1234 and a5cent like this.
    04-17-2015 04:32 AM
    If we saw an infographic of who gets the profits from unit sales, the USA would be much higher.
    Absolutely. On the other hand, I think that would also be a difficult graphic to parse correctly. The U.S. is globally the largest iPhone market by far. Therefore, and because U.S. profits from iPhone sales are registered as Apple's U.S. profits, the U.S. would obviously figure prominently on such a chart. That's obviously a very important metric for Apple, but I'm not sure it's that great for anyone else. At the end of the day, every iPhone sold in the U.S. still contributes to the U.S. trade deficit, despite Apple's large U.S. profits.

Even then, because the profits from iPhone sales outside the U.S. are stashed overseas and never transferred back home, the U.S. probably still wouldn't make up such a large part of the profit pie as we'd intuitively think.

All that is kind of off-topic though. I didn't really want to make that last post about how much an iPhone sale does or doesn't benefit the U.S. economy. The point is the extent to which China is involved, and that occurs to a far lesser degree with an iPhone than it does with a Xiaomi device. In a nutshell:

Western consumers in favour of economic fairness and against worker exploitation can still make meaningful choices, without having to become cave dwellers.

but it doesn't necessarily assuage the concerns of people who are opposed to worker exploitation.
    I'd say it's a start...

My main concern with China is related to their practice of currency manipulation. It enables China to sign free trade deals yet still apply what amounts to export subsidies and import tariffs. Fixing that would quickly transfer a few million jobs back to Europe and the U.S. , which in a free and fair market, would never have been relocated in the first place. Worker exploitation is the other issue I'm concerned with. China is #1 when it comes to sacrificing anything and everything in pursuit for higher GDP, including their people's and their customers health/safety, the air we all end up breathing, and lives.

Until China changes those two things, I'll do what I can to channel my consumer dollars elsewhere. I realize I'm just a drop in a bucket, but I'll have at least made an effort to stick to my principles as well as I could. I realize it's far from perfect, but I won't let "perfect" become the enemy of "good".
    Last edited by a5cent; 04-17-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    DCTF and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-17-2015 08:14 AM
    If Europeans and Americans want to recover their jobs they have to become more productive or reduce their salaries. Greed and laziness is a bad combination.
    As salaries keep growing in China other countries are becoming more attractive for production facilities. Hating one country won't solve systemic problems of the western economies.
    04-17-2015 08:57 AM
28 12