The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-27-2015 02:04 PM
94 1234
tools
    I have a feeling that Microsoft is not promising anything anymore because people are pissed off if update is late.
    Earlier Joe was talking about this and that but not now.
    Just look at how quiet @GabeAul has been on Twitter for the past few days, cos' they can't deliver...
    03-25-2015 07:34 AM
    Just look at how quiet @GabeAul has been on Twitter for the past few days, cos' they can't deliver...
    Deliver what? MS doesn't owe us anything. They are doing something radically different by letting everyone test early versions of their OS. Did your phone come with the promise that it will get regular updates to Technical Preview? Did you pay for the Technical Preview? If not, just get on with your life. Microsoft will come with a build when it is ready.
    a5cent, Praxius, stevemind and 1 others like this.
    03-25-2015 07:38 AM
    Deliver what? MS doesn't owe us anything. They are doing something radically different by letting everyone test early versions of their OS. Did your phone come with the promise that it will get regular updates to Technical Preview? Did you pay for the Technical Preview? If not, just get on with your life. Microsoft will come with a build when it is ready.
    ​Joe Belfiore demoed the WM10 Technical Preview 1 on a Lumia 1520 with Office Preview on it. But when they did release the TP1, it was only for 1 low ~ mid-low devices, excluding the Lumia 1520 and many flagship devices due to issues with Partition Stiching and Office Preview was also missing.

​6 weeks have passed since the 1st release and they are still not able to work on releasing TP2. @GabeAul pen his words in such a way so that he COULD twist and turn them around should they fail to deliver.

IF blah blah blah, COULD blah blah blah

Anything happens, "We never promise anything"
    03-25-2015 08:05 AM

​Joe Belfiore demoed the WM10 Technical Preview 1 on a Lumia 1520 with Office Preview on it. But when they did release the TP1, it was only for 1 low ~ mid-low devices, excluding the Lumia 1520 and many flagship devices due to issues with Partition Stiching and Office Preview was also missing.

​6 weeks have passed since the 1st release and they are still not able to work on releasing TP2. @GabeAul pen his words in such a way so that he COULD twist and turn them around should they fail to deliver.

So what is your point.
    That you get noting to play with?
    The W10 preview is no toy , it's a serious attempt to create something.
    03-25-2015 08:13 AM

C'mon! Gabe Aul uses those words not to be able to twist out of anything, but because he's making it clear he's talking only about intent and possibilities. Not promises.

The only person twisting anything here is you. By your standards, nobody could ever say anything without it instantly being a promise.

It's because of interpretations like yours, that companies decide it's better not to provide consumers with any information at all, since it will be distorted and twisted no matter how clearly they try to communicate.
    sahib lopez and d00cwe like this.
    03-25-2015 08:17 AM
    Being ex-Microsoft, I can assure you that those of you that are complaining here may be a loud voice, but overall a small one. They want to please everyone as well as they can, but badgering, complaining and calling people liars won't win you anything.

They have a hard job and are doing what is right by the customers and business. If the build they have now is buggy and not passing validation, there is NO amount of complaining and Tweet-storming that will change that. Trust me on this point, the developers, testers and engineers are getting pushed as much as they can be. Not only by management, but by themselves as well.

Do and say what you will, make all the threats about leaving the platform, that is your choice, but validating it by saying that Microsoft is not delivering on your interpreted time schedule because they want to release something stable is on you.

[/rant]
    pankaj981, a5cent, qsr786 and 12 others like this.
    03-25-2015 08:18 AM
    Definitely way too long for the updates to be pushed out especially when they have a fast and a slow ring
    03-25-2015 08:24 AM
    Definitely way too long for the updates to be pushed out especially when they have a fast and a slow ring
    Is there a fast ring for phones?
    03-25-2015 08:32 AM
    Is there a fast ring for phones?

Yes and neither has been updated in over a month

a5cent likes this.
    03-25-2015 08:35 AM
    ^ Thanks for the screenshot.
    The description is weird. It sounds like the slow ring is intended to get the exact same W10M builds, just a week or two later, after those in the fast ring have determined what the issues are. That's not how it works for the W10 TP, where the slow ring can include fixes.
    Anyway, there is still zero reason to assume there should be a new TP update every month for phones. Sure, that may be nice, but it's still just an arbitrary timeframe set by forum users, not by MS.
    03-25-2015 09:03 AM
    ^ Thanks for the screenshot.

The description is weird. It sounds like the slow ring is intended to get the exact same W10M builds, just a week or two later, after those in the fast ring have determined what the issues are. That's not how it works for the W10 TP, where the slow ring can include fixes.

Anyway, there is still zero reason to assume there should be a new TP update every month for phones. Sure, that may be nice, but it's still just an arbitrary timeframe set by forum users, not by MS.

I mean if its march (might as well say April now) and the official release is in summer ( june -September) and they have a fast ring and a slow ring I would expect at least the fast to be updated once a month if not then what's the purpose if the official release isn't far off? I could see the slow ring getting updated every other month or something. Why even offer two rings one for speedy updates and one for slower updates and wait over a month to update either one of them? So does that mean just 2-3 updates and then the official? To me it sounds like it could be done alot better than what they are doing
    03-25-2015 09:07 AM
    I mean if its march (might as well say April now) and the official release is in summer ( june -September) and they have a fast ring and a slow ring I would expect at least the fast to be updated once a month if not then what's the purpose if the official release isn't far off? I could see the slow ring getting updated every other month or something. Why even offer two rings one for speedy updates and one for slower updates and wait over a month to update either one of them? So does that mean just 2-3 updates and then the official? To me it sounds like it could be done alot better than what they are doing
    So what is your point.
    Are you going to change to another platform?
    Are you applying for a job at MS to show them how to do it?
    Are you going to buy MS and then kick everyone out and then you provide a update every week?
    Are you keep posting "useless" remarks?
    stevemind likes this.
    03-25-2015 09:44 AM
    I mean if its march (might as well say April now) and the official release is in summer ( june -September) and they have a fast ring and a slow ring I would expect at least the fast to be updated once a month...
    Yup. I understand that point.

I have no definitive explanations, but I'd note the following:

A) I don't know what the actual intent is behind the fast and slow rings for the W10M TP, but at least based on the descriptions, I'd say we're dealing with a misnomer. If the description is accurate, what we're really dealing with is "normal release cadence" (for which MS has never stated how often to expect releases) and the "delayed release cadence", which is the exact same thing just time shifted by one or two weeks. My point is that for W10M the terms "fast" and "slow" may just be raising false expectations.

B) Nobody really knows when W10M is intended to be released. W10 is expected sometime in summer, but W10M has been rumored for anywhere between then and November. Maybe we've still got more time?

C) With our reaction to the limited W10M rollout, we've somewhat screwed ourselves. We've forced MS to get a repartitioning solution up and running before releasing the next TP. That's a big issue that involves a lot of testing that can easily require more than six weeks. I think we somewhat threw a wrench in the TP gears there. I suspect the pace will pick up afterwards, but I doubt W10M TP's will ever release as frequently as for W10... if for no other reason than the WP team being much smaller.
    deadwrong03 likes this.
    03-25-2015 09:50 AM
    So what is your point.
    Are you going to change to another platform?
    Are you applying for a job at MS to show them how to do it?
    Are you going to buy MS and then kick everyone out and then you provide a update every week?
    Are you keep posting "useless" remarks?

There's no useless remarks when we're talking about the updates he ask about the fast and slow rings I commented and gave MY opinion. We're discussing the topic. It's what u do on a forum....converse on topics
    03-25-2015 09:53 AM
    It should come today or tomorrow.
    03-25-2015 10:00 AM
    Yup. I understand that point.

I have no definitive explanations, but I'd note the following:

A) I don't know what the actual intent is behind the fast and slow rings for the W10M TP, but at least based on the descriptions, I'd say we're dealing with a misnomer. If the description is accurate, what we're really dealing with is "normal release cadence" (for which MS has never stated how often to expect releases) and the "delayed release cadence", which is the exact same thing just time shifted by one or two weeks. My point is that for W10M the terms "fast" and "slow" may just be raising false expectations.

B) Nobody really knows when W10M is intended to be released. W10 is expected sometime in summer, but W10M has been rumored for anywhere between then and November. Maybe we've still got more time?

C) With our reaction to the limited W10M rollout, we've somewhat screwed ourselves. We've forced MS to get a repartitioning solution up and running before releasing the next TP. That's a big issue that involves a lot of testing that can easily require more than six weeks. I think we somewhat threw a wrench in the TP gears there. I suspect the pace will pick up afterwards, but I doubt W10M TP's will ever release as frequently as for W10... if for no other reason than the WP team being much smaller.

A) going off the description of the rings it said expect faster updates with generally more issues and the slow ring description basically said slower more stable updates. Which is why I expected faster updates going off the descriptions

B) Last I read they said summer for the phones http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...r-476072.shtml no set date but the summer time frame

C) I'm fine with delays I kno things happen but at least keep us updated maybe a in app notification or something about the status of the next update. Were basically sitting around waiting. They did say the goal was to have the updates come at least once a month ideally. Where's the improved stability version of the update that's out now for the slow ring users at least?
    03-25-2015 10:03 AM
    A) going off the description of the rings it said expect faster updates with generally more issues and the slow ring description basically said slower more stable updates. Which is why I expected faster updates going off the descriptions

?
    My expectation is that in the coming update the slow ring will be "activated" and will have the updates which did not cause issues and updates with issues which where fixed.
    And the slow ring is not activated yet because there are "no issue free" updates yet.
    03-25-2015 10:15 AM
    That's the description for W10 TP. I think it's safe to assume that doesn't apply to W10M in the same way, or at the very least, not yet.

B) Last I read they said summer for the phones http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...r-476072.shtml no set date but the summer time frame
    TBH, if we don't have a quote DIRECTLY from MS, anything such sites publish is meaningless. In this particular case the blog post is confusing statements that were made for W10 and W10M. The entire article is one big jumbled mess. When WCentral reported on this they said only that MS MAY be able to deliver W10M earlier, alongside W10.

C) I'm fine with delays I know things happen but at least keep us updated maybe a in app notification or something about the status of the next update. Were basically sitting around waiting. They did say the goal was to have the updates come at least once a month ideally. Where's the improved stability version of the update that's out now for the slow ring users at least?
    I don't think we can even speak of delays. There is no official timeframe or promised release date for anything related to W10M. Without that there is also no delay. I completely agree that more information would be very welcome however.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-25-2015 11:19 AM
    I'm not sure what it actually consists of, but my 630 (running W10 Tech Preview) has been trying to install an update for around the last 24 hours. Unfortunately, it won't complete (error 80188301) so I have no idea what's in the damn thing :-) Suspect it's nothing big because I'm not reading any other Tech Preview users talking about it.

I'm keen to have the next tech Preview build and even more so to get it on one of my 920s, but I too cannot see the point in shouting at Microsoft.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-25-2015 11:30 AM
    Very entertaining thread. If I was MS I'd just say eff you guys. When the final build is done everybody gets it. It seems no good deed goes unpunished.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    03-25-2015 01:36 PM
    Actually, MS never promised anything to begin with. Pie ty's notion that W10M TP updates were promised every 4 weeks is straight out of fantasy land.

MS mentioned how often they'd LIKE/HOPE to release the W10 TP, which was around four weeks, but not even that was a promise, nor is that the same as W10M.

It's no wonder that MS doesn't provide us with more information, considering so many take every little thing they say and interpret it as a promise that is set in stone.
    Anyway, even if MS had promised specific release dates, we should all know by now that software and "promised" release dates don't belong in the same sentence.
    I'm sure some of us have seen those people who believe rumors are real and set-in-stone.
    a5cent likes this.
    03-25-2015 04:21 PM
    Gabe Aul tweeted to someone last week that they don't generally release things on Mondays and Fridays, so if it's coming this week, I guess it'll most likely be tomorrow.
    Rehan Saleem likes this.
    03-25-2015 05:03 PM
    Ok..so..the thing where they said that they hope for monthly releases - does that apply only to Windows 10 Desktop?
    Or does it apply to both, since I've seen them saying it's almost the same OS / it shares a lot of code, so the work on both is done simultaneously.
    03-25-2015 08:05 PM
    Ok..so..the thing where they said that they hope for monthly releases - does that apply only to Windows 10 Desktop?
    Or does it apply to both, since I've seen them saying it's almost the same OS / it shares a lot of code, so the work on both is done simultaneously.
    These are two separate OSes that share many common components. The statement mentioning TP updates every four weeks was specifically for W10. The idea that both OSes are so similar that they would automatically adhere to the same release schedule is definitely incorrect. The partitioning issue MS mentioned last week, which MS is working on for W10M, is just one of many examples where the two OSes differ. No such thing is required for W10.
    Last edited by a5cent; 03-25-2015 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-25-2015 08:41 PM
    Oh I heard something about after the superbowl!
    iop777 and anon(5725119) like this.
    03-25-2015 09:24 PM
94 1234