Where is the next build?

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey Pie Ty is right bcause they will only release on tuesday, wednesday oder thursday. Not on Mondays or Fridays and Saturday and Sunday.

According to that if they want to give update in mart then left days are today or tomorrow, after that is friday, saturday, sunday, monday then april.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Note that Gabe's last tweet on this has the word IF and COULD in big capital letters.

It's unfortunate that people seem to be looking at the words but seeing WILL instead.

There are no promises at all in the words IF and COULD.

I'm writing this post in the full and certain knowledge that it won't make a blind difference to anyone's expectations.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a feeling that Microsoft is not promising anything anymore because people are pissed off if update is late.
Earlier Joe was talking about this and that but not now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that Microsoft is not promising anything anymore...

Actually, MS never promised anything to begin with. Pie ty's notion that W10M TP updates were promised every 4 weeks is straight out of fantasy land.

MS mentioned how often they'd LIKE/HOPE to release the W10 TP, which was around four weeks, but not even that was a promise, nor is that the same as W10M.

It's no wonder that MS doesn't provide us with more information, considering so many take every little thing they say and interpret it as a promise that is set in stone.

Anyway, even if MS had promised specific release dates, we should all know by now that the terms "software" and "promised release date" don't belong in the same sentence.

Last edited:

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling that Microsoft is not promising anything anymore because people are pissed off if update is late.
Earlier Joe was talking about this and that but not now.

Just look at how quiet @GabeAul has been on Twitter for the past few days, cos' they can't deliver...

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just look at how quiet @GabeAul has been on Twitter for the past few days, cos' they can't deliver...

Deliver what? MS doesn't owe us anything. They are doing something radically different by letting everyone test early versions of their OS. Did your phone come with the promise that it will get regular updates to Technical Preview? Did you pay for the Technical Preview? If not, just get on with your life. Microsoft will come with a build when it is ready.

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Deliver what? MS doesn't owe us anything. They are doing something radically different by letting everyone test early versions of their OS. Did your phone come with the promise that it will get regular updates to Technical Preview? Did you pay for the Technical Preview? If not, just get on with your life. Microsoft will come with a build when it is ready.

​Joe Belfiore demoed the WM10 Technical Preview 1 on a Lumia 1520 with Office Preview on it. But when they did release the TP1, it was only for 1 low ~ mid-low devices, excluding the Lumia 1520 and many flagship devices due to issues with Partition Stiching and Office Preview was also missing.

​6 weeks have passed since the 1st release and they are still not able to work on releasing TP2. @GabeAul pen his words in such a way so that he COULD twist and turn them around should they fail to deliver.

IF blah blah blah, COULD blah blah blah

Anything happens, "We never promise anything"

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

​Joe Belfiore demoed the WM10 Technical Preview 1 on a Lumia 1520 with Office Preview on it. But when they did release the TP1, it was only for 1 low ~ mid-low devices, excluding the Lumia 1520 and many flagship devices due to issues with Partition Stiching and Office Preview was also missing.

​6 weeks have passed since the 1st release and they are still not able to work on releasing TP2. @GabeAul pen his words in such a way so that he COULD twist and turn them around should they fail to deliver.

So what is your point.
That you get noting to play with?
The W10 preview is no toy , it's a serious attempt to create something.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

C'mon! Gabe Aul uses those words not to be able to twist out of anything, but because he's making it clear he's talking only about intent and possibilities. Not promises.

The only person twisting anything here is you. By your standards, nobody could ever say anything without it instantly being a promise.

It's because of interpretations like yours, that companies decide it's better not to provide consumers with any information at all, since it will be distorted and twisted no matter how clearly they try to communicate.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Being ex-Microsoft, I can assure you that those of you that are complaining here may be a loud voice, but overall a small one. They want to please everyone as well as they can, but badgering, complaining and calling people liars won't win you anything.

They have a hard job and are doing what is right by the customers and business. If the build they have now is buggy and not passing validation, there is NO amount of complaining and Tweet-storming that will change that. Trust me on this point, the developers, testers and engineers are getting pushed as much as they can be. Not only by management, but by themselves as well.

Do and say what you will, make all the threats about leaving the platform, that is your choice, but validating it by saying that Microsoft is not delivering on your interpreted time schedule because they want to release something stable is on you.

[/rant]

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Is there a fast ring for phones?

Yes and neither has been updated in over a month

65cce4102b3b0cd20166d59dd108aa3d.png

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Thanks for the screenshot.
The description is weird. It sounds like the slow ring is intended to get the exact same W10M builds, just a week or two later, after those in the fast ring have determined what the issues are. That's not how it works for the W10 TP, where the slow ring can include fixes.
Anyway, there is still zero reason to assume there should be a new TP update every month for phones. Sure, that may be nice, but it's still just an arbitrary timeframe set by forum users, not by MS.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
^ Thanks for the screenshot.

The description is weird. It sounds like the slow ring is intended to get the exact same W10M builds, just a week or two later, after those in the fast ring have determined what the issues are. That's not how it works for the W10 TP, where the slow ring can include fixes.

Anyway, there is still zero reason to assume there should be a new TP update every month for phones. Sure, that may be nice, but it's still just an arbitrary timeframe set by forum users, not by MS.

I mean if its march (might as well say April now) and the official release is in summer ( june -September) and they have a fast ring and a slow ring I would expect at least the fast to be updated once a month if not then what's the purpose if the official release isn't far off? I could see the slow ring getting updated every other month or something. Why even offer two rings one for speedy updates and one for slower updates and wait over a month to update either one of them? So does that mean just 2-3 updates and then the official? To me it sounds like it could be done alot better than what they are doing

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I mean if its march (might as well say April now) and the official release is in summer ( june -September) and they have a fast ring and a slow ring I would expect at least the fast to be updated once a month if not then what's the purpose if the official release isn't far off? I could see the slow ring getting updated every other month or something. Why even offer two rings one for speedy updates and one for slower updates and wait over a month to update either one of them? So does that mean just 2-3 updates and then the official? To me it sounds like it could be done alot better than what they are doing

So what is your point.
Are you going to change to another platform?
Are you applying for a job at MS to show them how to do it?
Are you going to buy MS and then kick everyone out and then you provide a update every week?
Are you keep posting "useless" remarks?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I mean if its march (might as well say April now) and the official release is in summer ( june -September) and they have a fast ring and a slow ring I would expect at least the fast to be updated once a month...
Yup. I understand that point.

I have no definitive explanations, but I'd note the following:

A) I don't know what the actual intent is behind the fast and slow rings for the W10M TP, but at least based on the descriptions, I'd say we're dealing with a misnomer. If the description is accurate, what we're really dealing with is "normal release cadence" (for which MS has never stated how often to expect releases) and the "delayed release cadence", which is the exact same thing just time shifted by one or two weeks. My point is that for W10M the terms "fast" and "slow" may just be raising false expectations.

B) Nobody really knows when W10M is intended to be released. W10 is expected sometime in summer, but W10M has been rumored for anywhere between then and November. Maybe we've still got more time?

C) With our reaction to the limited W10M rollout, we've somewhat screwed ourselves. We've forced MS to get a repartitioning solution up and running before releasing the next TP. That's a big issue that involves a lot of testing that can easily require more than six weeks. I think we somewhat threw a wrench in the TP gears there. I suspect the pace will pick up afterwards, but I doubt W10M TP's will ever release as frequently as for W10... if for no other reason than the WP team being much smaller.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
So what is your point.
Are you going to change to another platform?
Are you applying for a job at MS to show them how to do it?
Are you going to buy MS and then kick everyone out and then you provide a update every week?
Are you keep posting "useless" remarks?

There's no useless remarks when we're talking about the updates he ask about the fast and slow rings I commented and gave MY opinion. We're discussing the topic. It's what u do on a forum....converse on topics

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb