Is Windows 10 for Phones 64 bit?

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Win10 supports newer processors but is the OS itself 64 bit?
I read somewhere that Windows 10 supports Snapdragon 410 but the OS itself is not 64 bit. So it won't take true advantage of the 64 bit processors.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Main reason to upgrade to 64-bit would be memory access. Which starts to be a problem after 4GB. iPhone has only 1 GB (so do first gen win8 Lumias in 2012) so that's just marketing as rospower said.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The OS itself is 32bit... It will take a while for MS to release a 64bit for phones. I have not see yet a single Lumia with 64bit processor.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
64bit processor can be implemented in WP but it wont be on any use....unless you have ram equivalent to 4gb and above...as 64bit processors needs high memoery itself to function which a WP doesn't have...even android devices don't have...4gb...usuall...

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
it doesn't really matter. MS can keep WP as 32-bit and still use 64-bit processors for marketing purposes (as I am pretty sure Apple did). Buzzwords aside, who really knows if it's actually 64-bit until it hits the RAM limitation and that's still a while from being a problem.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
it doesn't really matter. MS can keep WP as 32-bit and still use 64-bit processors for marketing purposes (as I am pretty sure Apple did). Buzzwords aside, who really knows if it's actually 64-bit until it hits the RAM limitation and that's still a while from being a problem.
Haha....not so simple....buddy....devices from production units have to undergo quality testing...they have to maintain transparency...there are benchmark tests...many more things...and if msft is caught for faslification of specs...who will be responsible?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
64 bit is just another one of the things this platform can't get and will be far behind the pack on. But hey, i love being then underdog and there is never a line at the Microsoft store.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
64 bit is just another one of the things this platform can't get and will be far behind the pack on. But hey, i love being then underdog and there is never a line at the Microsoft store.
64bit in a phone is not something we need, we don't run 3d max or PhotoShop... The regular folks will be more than satisfied with 32bit and with more RAM... The next Windows flagship phone may have 3GB of RAM.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Haha....not so simple....buddy....devices from production units have to undergo quality testing...they have to maintain transparency...there are benchmark tests...many more things...and if msft is caught for faslification of specs...who will be responsible?

Saying a 64bit processor is a 64bit processor would not be falsification of specs. :)

I think the Apple unit that was being referred to actually ran a 64bit OS but most apps were 32bit since developers had no way at that point of building 64bit ones.

Fact is that nobody needs 64bit on a phone today. But I'm sure Microsoft will move to it at some point. The OS supports it, hardware is there so the next flagship likely will be 64bit.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Ah, I remember people said the same thing for 1080p screens, big screens on phones, 2000+mah, 2 GB+ of ram, 32BG+ of memory. Ah, the good ole days.
I truly believe that at some point in the future we will need 64bit in a phone... But as right now is not necessary... We have not reach yet to 3GB of ram in Windows Phone.

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Given the convergence of the Windows and WP OS, wouldn't it make sense that this would be "easy" (spoken as a non developer) to make available when needed?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not know, but, It should. If your competition has 64 bit, you need to have it as well.

Almost nobody major has broken the 4 GB RAM barrier in mobile.
For the moment, 64-bit is marketing stuff, like Gluten-free water.
If your competition has a bunch of stuff you don't have, doesn't necessarily mean you're doomed. (see: iPhone 2G vs the smartphones of the time)

Looks like its working though.

ACynicalLamp

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is one companies who will introduce Snapdragon 810 in their flagship phones! As we all know here Snapdragon 810 processor is 64-bit. So we might see 64-bit phones after the release of Windows 10

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss