Windows 10 for phones - very basic features required

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Just in a general sense....I'm always curious about BT file xfer/sharing.

What does it enable that a cloud sharing service doesn't?

Is it bandwidth restrictions dictating a direct Xfer?

Personally, I have always been leary of any 3rd part direct access, explicit permission granted or not.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I have always been leary of any 3rd part direct access, explicit permission granted or not.

Why waste time using a cloud service when you can directly share something with a friend right then and there in the moment. For examples, sensing pictures and songs. Instead I uploading to the cloud and waiting for it to be uploaded and then thee person having to go online and download them, Bluetooth is simple.
No need for internet access, waiting for it to be uploaded so you can download. Its right then and there. Me and my friends do it a lot especially if we go out and take photos and want to receive then quick and easy at their original quality to basically any phone that supports BT.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Ummm those aren't basic features that everyone needs those are features " you need " The only thing I rarely use is the 3G/lte(4g) toggle but other than that all of the "basic" features that were mentioned I've never needed or used.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

Where in my post did I say those are features that everyone needs ?You quoted my post and therefore must have read it ? No ?
Because I'm pretty sure I said that not all the features the OP stated were necessary. Don't know if this is a mistake on your part.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Apparently everyone here assumes that, if they don't use a certain feature, nobody else needs them either.

Yup. Because the world of technology obviously evolves around them not needing features that benefit the majority of people or that could be of use to others if they make sense whether we use them or not.
I don't need every single feature but if it improves the OS and benefits others and helps our platform grow and can be of use to me where I can turn them off or on when need be and doesn't cripple the OS then im all for it.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
That's a big assumption to make. And not true for everyone. To break it down further:
1) Not needed in most other territories
​2) Never received a Bluetooth file. Don't know anyone that has. Feature request is irrelevant.
​3) See 2.
4) Possibly.
​5) Can't see that happening.
6) Not found a Bluetooth headset yet that doesn't work with Windows Phone.
7) Illegal in a lot of places. Hence not readily implemented. If you need to record a call, I'd question if a voice call is the best communication method in that context.
8) Well that'd be down to the social networking apps. And their lawyers.
9) See 8.

I'm not rubbishing your points. Just demonstrating that what's "critical" to one user is completely irrelevant to another.

Part of the response though is because we don't have the option - can't use and won't dwell on it is the best route then, but tech should be pushing forward.

Example regarding the NFC stuff: I have one of the DT910 chargers, but without being able to have a trusted device option, they are not "tap & charge". Same with payments, you would want the simplest/quickest validation possible.

I use NFC and/or BT to transfer between my 520/928/929 pretty often. Simple thing, but quite nice.

(Side note: was over on iMore, and they were discussing iOS8 after 6 months - evidently they just got the whole easy "sharing to" idea on iOS? It's so natural and fluid on WP. Actually I had some photos on my old Trophy and was stumped when I couldn't share via BT. :p )

It's quite depressing, honestly, how far back in many ways WP is after all this time - and instead of standing firm on one of the things that set them apart and they did right (UI/UX) while filling in features, they continue to backpedal on the former and tread water on the second. :/

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

I transfer between my own phones :p

Icon - active on Verizon, unlimited data whoowhooo
928 - active with GoPhone, no data plan
520 - WiFi only

As a practical matter, it's not like I'm using the 520 for pictures. But I use the 928 a LOT. I can just tap it to my Icon to get a pic over for editing or just to have on that phone.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I transfer between my own phones :p

Icon - active on Verizon, unlimited data whoowhooo
928 - active with GoPhone, no data plan
520 - WiFi only

As a practical matter, it's not like I'm using the 520 for pictures. But I use the 928 a LOT. I can just tap it to my Icon to get a pic over for editing or just to have on that phone.

What gets to me is that a simple feature like BT is awesome and everyone that I know has used it and more than likely will use it share something whether its between others or with their phone, computer or other device and yet some people say its not relevant. To your life, maybe not but it'd be digging WP own grave not to expand and improve on this feature. Just wow. We already take hits from reviewers and users not supporting other features and then finally getting them 2 years later down the road. This cycle needs to stop. Seriously.
I want WP to improve and welcome features like this. And our BT needs work as it doesn't support a handful of BT devices that both Android and IOS does. Just look in the forums and you'll see.
Like I said, just because I don't use it doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit the platform overall. There numerous features that I don't use that we have such as double tap to wake and hey Cortana, i would never vote against them being on the platform. They are handy to a handful of others so why not ? Once its well tailored and implemented.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Why waste time using a cloud service when you can directly share something with a friend right then and there in the moment. For examples, sensing pictures and songs. Instead I uploading to the cloud and waiting for it to be uploaded and then thee person having to go online and download them, Bluetooth is simple.
No need for internet access, waiting for it to be uploaded so you can download. Its right then and there. Me and my friends do it a lot especially if we go out and take photos and want to receive then quick and easy at their original quality to basically any phone that supports BT.

That's fine, I can understand that. I just personally don't/haven't operated that urgently....

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's fine, I can understand that. I just personally don't/haven't operated that urgently....

Completely Understood. There are things which I don't use either but I try my best not to pass my judgement on not needing it when I can see its usefulness. Especially if it helps grow our platform. Usb OTG ? Probably won't use It but would I say we don't need it in windows 10 ? Nope. I can see its purpose.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
What gets to me is that a simple feature like BT is awesome and everyone that I know has used it and more than likely will use it share something whether its between others or with their phone, computer or other device and yet some people say its not relevant. To your life, maybe not but it'd be digging WP own grave not to expand and improve on this feature. Just wow. We already take hits from reviewers and users not supporting other features and then finally getting them 2 years later down the road. This cycle needs to stop. Seriously.
I want WP to improve and welcome features like this. And our BT needs work as it doesn't support a handful of BT devices that both Android and IOS does. Just look in the forums and you'll see.
Like I said, just because I don't use it doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit the platform overall. There numerous features that I don't use that we have such as double tap to wake and hey Cortana, i would never vote against them being on the platform. They are handy to a handful of others so why not ? Once its well tailored and implemented.

wat?

You realize I was agreeing with you and giving examples of using this technology?

Also, not going to quote yet another post, but between BT device support, USB (whatever the stuff is) support, I would love to do that sort of thing.

Have my phone (Icon or whatever) basically be powerful and usable enough to be bomb diggity for me? Oh hell yeah.

Sure, I would probably keep a game pc or console or something around, but day to day..

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
wat?

You realize I was agreeing with you and giving examples of using this technology?

Also, not going to quote yet another post, but between BT device support, USB (whatever the stuff is) support, I would love to do that sort of thing.

Have my phone (Icon or whatever) basically be powerful and usable enough to be bomb diggity for me? Oh hell yeah.

Sure, I would probably keep a game pc or console or something around, but day to day..

Lol i know that you were. I quoted you to highlight that I agreed with what you said. Sorry if it came out as if I was targeting you with my post haha.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I am guessing Microsoft has the exact same attitude, that's why Windows Phone will always be stuck at 3% market share because Microsoft doesn't understand emerging markets.

Even symbian used to have most of the features mentioned by the OP. That's one of the reasons so many people in developing countries had such a high regard for Nokia, they didn't put features that were required only in their home country.

I would rather like MS adding all the features in WP and have a good market share, what I would like the most is these so called this feature is irrelevant calling people (3%) leave the platform because of so many features are confusing them.
When I opened several threads regarding lack of file manager in WP during WP 8.0 era, these same people liking 2nd post told me that this feature would never come to WP & NOBODY used it & if I want that feature badly, I should get an Android, I did same & now we have official file manager "Files" from MS :D. These people are apologetic but MS listens and that matters most.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I am guessing Microsoft has the exact same attitude, that's why Windows Phone will always be stuck at 3% market share because Microsoft doesn't understand emerging markets.

Even symbian used to have most of the features mentioned by the OP. That's one of the reasons so many people in developing countries had such a high regard for Nokia, they didn't put features that were required only in their home country.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I had high hope for MS 2 years ago but now I am afraid windows phones are not going anywhere with their altitude and mindset.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I had high hope for MS 2 years ago but now I am afraid windows phones are not going anywhere with their altitude and mindset.

I have been following WP news, too. My father owns Lumia 520 & my experience regarding WP is MS listens to users. I'm quit sure they're serious about phone business (not hardware), they're unifying Windows is what the best move I've seen by them.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
There is no need to be defensive. I would welcome these features, but I still wouldn't use 90% of them. I've done Bluetooth file transfer and it's painfully slow. So I could only imagine multiple file transfers.... Which is why I use cloud storage instead. The same could be said with email attachments.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
That's a big assumption to make. And not true for everyone. To break it down further:
1) Not needed in most other territories
​2) Never received a Bluetooth file. Don't know anyone that has. Feature request is irrelevant.
​3) See 2.
4) Possibly.
​5) Can't see that happening.
6) Not found a Bluetooth headset yet that doesn't work with Windows Phone.
7) Illegal in a lot of places. Hence not readily implemented. If you need to record a call, I'd question if a voice call is the best communication method in that context.
8) Well that'd be down to the social networking apps. And their lawyers.
9) See 8.

I'm not rubbishing your points. Just demonstrating that what's "critical" to one user is completely irrelevant to another.

2.) Your being very inconsiderate to neglect a very important feature. The fact is that windows phone is currently lacking the feature, and he is making it heard. From what MS has announced from win10 for phones there is LOTS of hope and I think it'll have most features to satisfy my poweruser needs.

All of the features should be there that OP is requesting, one can never say no to more features, we aren't in ios forums.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I have to agree with you being a windows phone user from November of 2010. Windows 10 is giving me hope, but I think it will take lots of sales on all fronts of the MS ecosystem to finally get some apps to the windows platform. My guess is that 3 years after the release of windows 10, hopefully there will be 500 million devices all running win 10 and then, maybe developers will take a look at developing for windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion