Windows 10 for phones - very basic features required

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So now it's coming...let's see what major changes are there...since it's been 2 months from last build...excited

Wow. I still cant believe he said that both the icon and 930 won't be supported for this build. Was really looking forward to it as I've missed the first build and now gonna miss the second. Especially considering the second build took almost 2 months from the first. How much longer until I get to try it out ? This better be an awesome build. I hope.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Why waste time using a cloud service when you can directly share something with a friend right then and there in the moment. For examples, sensing pictures and songs. Instead I uploading to the cloud and waiting for it to be uploaded and then thee person having to go online and download them, Bluetooth is simple.
No need for internet access, waiting for it to be uploaded so you can download. Its right then and there. Me and my friends do it a lot especially if we go out and take photos and want to receive then quick and easy at their original quality to basically any phone that supports BT.

By your statement you are implying the Bluetooth connections will be quicker than any other form of virtual connectivity? I can honestly say from personal experience that is simply not always the case. Perhaps you and your friends are using the same equipment, however the compatibility and timing of the syncing process is predicated on what you're using. I personally don't think of using Bluetooth. It's kind of like NFC...I have the feature, but don't use it, and when I've tried, just to test it out, it wasn't worth the hassle. MSFT's cloud oriented mindset is one of the reasons I love using their services. The transition is so smooth and effortless.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the whole "basic features" assertion by the OP is incorrect to begin with. basic features would imply features that the average person not only uses, but favors. This is simply not the case with any of the recommendations. Now this is not to suggest that MSFT shouldn't consider any of them, because I would definitely agree with the 3G/4G/LTE toggle. Also remember, Windows 10 mobile is still in the developmental stage, so there's nothing to suggest none of these will find their way in the final build.

The bigger reality is that people need to stop comparing the vision of MSFT to the vision of Google and Apple. Let's face it, MSFT will be fine with Windows mobile being the tertiary option for mobile users, because they are a software provider first. Apples success is predicated on the continued popularity of the iPhone. OSX isn't breaking any records and doesn't look to be growing. Chromebooks albeit have increased in popularity a little, Android is a mobile OS first and foremost. MSFTs mobile variant is growing at a faster rate then its counterparts desktop variants are. While the rest of the world is seeing pretty encouraging signs for Windows mobile, the US is still pretty much stagnant. The good news is the carriers, primarily AT&T and Verizon have a lot to do with that as well as MSFT. If those super carriers follow suit with what T-Mobile and Sprint are doing, then people will be less inclined to pay top dollar for an iPhone or the latest rendition of Galaxy series. Why does this matter...well, MSFT doesn't need to beat them by mirroring them, they just need to satisfy the basic consumer. If developers can make decent money creating a desktop version of an application, while not having to put forth any more money or resources to create a mobile rendition, then they will.
Closing point, Apple needs the iPhone to remain relevant, and Google outside of their search engine and geo mapping service (which is amazing) is pretty reliant on android. MSFT doesn't need it's mobile service to be at the top, however with it linking it to it's desktop (which is at the top) and Xbox (which in a lot of places is at the top) they can put themselves in a very advantageous position. Windows 10 in my opinion will do that for them, and then you'll see that while these features you mention are nice to have, in the grand scheme of things, MSFT will be fine without them.

tushardhingra

May 20, 2014
Visit site
By your statement you are implying the Bluetooth connections will be quicker than any other form of virtual connectivity? I can honestly say from personal experience that is simply not always the case. Perhaps you and your friends are using the same equipment, however the compatibility and timing of the syncing process is predicated on what you're using. I personally don't think of using Bluetooth. It's kind of like NFC...I have the feature, but don't use it, and when I've tried, just to test it out, it wasn't worth the hassle. MSFT's cloud oriented mindset is one of the reasons I love using their services. The transition is so smooth and effortless.

Sir first you should first stay in developing countires and then choose what features are basic for them and what not. Yes bluetooth is still the fastest media sharing option people have (and are aware of) in those countries. And regarding many other points like Downloading an attachment before forwarding the mail is again a big deal as most of the times we people are in 2G network mode (thanks again to lumia) which also doesn'twork many a times and it is a hassle.

Out of the 9 points I mentioned, 5 are just required because of Network issues in developing countires. And yeah why did I forgot OTG support (they won't be able to give it through update btw).

Do not comment on what is relevant and what is not until you know the ground reality.

And regarding the transitions and all...yeah it is very much smooth and that's why people are using WP but what's the problem in asking for the features required by most of the people in developing countries.

Sorry for being rude but it is much a hassle for most of us and don't wanna switch back to lagdroid (and i don't like iOS).

Last edited:

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Have you ever used a 2g connection whose download and upload speeds are about 20-30 kbps?
And then did u ever try uploading a 50mb file to a cloud server for a friend who with a similar connection need to download it to his device?
No? Then i am sorry you have no idea how people in the developing nations live and thus have really no clue as to how important Bluetooth is.
Even something as simple as above will take about 90 mins to transfer between 2 devices with kind of internet in these parts of the world. The same thing can be executed in less than 15 mins using a Bluetooth transfer...
So please if u haven't experienced the good and bad things around the world then u really have no right make assumptions on the limited things u have seen and experienced...

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever used a 2g connection whose download and upload speeds are about 20-30 kbps?
And then did u ever try uploading a 50mb file to a cloud server for a friend who with a similar connection need to download it to his device?
No? Then i am sorry you have no idea how people in the developing nations live and thus have really no clue as to how important Bluetooth is.
Even something as simple as above will take about 90 mins to transfer between 2 devices with kind of internet in these parts of the world. The same thing can be executed in less than 15 mins using a Bluetooth transfer...
So please if u haven't experienced the good and bad things around the world then u really have no right make assumptions on the limited things u have seen and experienced...

News flash....with all due respect sir, take a moment and look at the picture of my profile and then ask yourself do you think I've been to developing places around the world. That's my job. I work as an IT dealing with everything from Satellites and antennas to servers and routers and everything in between. Im well aware of the technological restrictions that exist in certain parts of the world. Ive been to quite a few of them. My piont is MSFT is a business and will my decisions based on the practicality of return in investment. Not everyone is going to get what they want. 2G is indeed slow, but we both know they're are slower. What would Bluetooth transfer accomplish that NFC wouldn't? Just a question. You're quick to talk about making assertions without viable insight, yet from from where I'm sitting you are guilty of the same. And for the record while I wouldn't call them all basic features, many of them are good ideas.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
News flash....with all due respect sir, take a moment and look at the picture of my profile and then ask yourself do you think I've been to developing places around the world. That's my job. I work as an IT dealing with everything from Satellites and antennas to servers and routers and everything in between. Im well aware of the technological restrictions that exist in certain parts of the world. Ive been to quite a few of them. My piont is MSFT is a business and will my decisions based on the practicality of return in investment. Not everyone is going to get what they want. 2G is indeed slow, but we both know they're are slower. What would Bluetooth transfer accomplish that NFC wouldn't? Just a question. You're quick to talk about making assertions without viable insight, yet from from where I'm sitting you are guilty of the same. And for the record while I wouldn't call them all basic features, many of them are good ideas.

Well for the record NFC is still rare on devices in the budget market. And secondly NFC on WP sucks. I never really managed to transfer a single file from my Nexus 7 to my 620 bcos they just don't play well with each other.
And finally if you really know markets like India then u would also know how often people transfer songs,videos and photos via Bluetooth? For that there is no real substitute to Bluetooth at the moment.
Yes there are better ways like USB OTG or a proper NFC that plays well with other platforms. But nope MS doesn't offer any of these so people in countries like ours are limited to Bluetooth only which needs to work well.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
i'd love to have an option to set my device as visible to all bluetooth devices, even when i'm not in the bluetooth settings menu.. (we have BT check in at our firm, and it sucks having to always go to settings instead of just walking by....)

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
That's a big assumption to make. And not true for everyone. To break it down further:
1) Not needed in most other territories
​2) Never received a Bluetooth file. Don't know anyone that has. Feature request is irrelevant.
​3) See 2.
4) Possibly.
​5) Can't see that happening.
6) Not found a Bluetooth headset yet that doesn't work with Windows Phone.
7) Illegal in a lot of places. Hence not readily implemented. If you need to record a call, I'd question if a voice call is the best communication method in that context.
8) Well that'd be down to the social networking apps. And their lawyers.
9) See 8.

I'm not rubbishing your points. Just demonstrating that what's "critical" to one user is completely irrelevant to another.

A separate Bluetooth folder was present even in feature phones, Bluetooth files missing is very annoying to me too.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the main issue here is that for many of us in the US, many of those features are antiquated. We might have used them 10 years ago, but we don't have a need for them now.

I have an Android device, but I have no use for Bluetooth file transfer or 3G/4G/LTE toggle. I've had LTE everywhere since 2012. Bluetooth file transfer is slow as molasses, compared to uploading/downloading from the cloud via my home broadband network.

View attachment 101357

But in India, we need those features. Plus the email attachment forwarding thing is a pain.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Of all the basic 3g lock is a must.It is only con with wp as far as I am concerned having paid for 3g packs am able to access only 2g.So this is major turn off for many Indians.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs