Win10 for Phones can break my SD card?

anon(9226130)

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I want to install the next build on my Lumia 520 and I'm using my phone with a 16 GB SD card. Should I remove the SD card from my 520 before I install Win10 on it? Sorry for my bad English.

Mechuna

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This happened for me. My sd card was damaged beyond repair shortly after installing Win10 on my L830 when it first came out. It could be something else, I guess, but err on the side of caution just to be safe.

gigiipse

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
After installing Wind 10 I lost 2 micro sd cards.

A Kingston 64 Gb got corrupted after restoring a back-up from onedrive.
A Hama 64 GB just got corrupted after trying to move several applications to the card from the internal memory.

The cards are now read-only. Tried to format and delete the partitions with diskpart and several utilities. Nothing works. 2 cards in les then a week.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
After installing Wind 10 I lost 2 micro sd cards.

A Kingston 64 Gb got corrupted after restoring a back-up from onedrive.
A Hama 64 GB just got corrupted after trying to move several applications to the card from the internal memory.

The cards are now read-only. Tried to format and delete the partitions with diskpart and several utilities. Nothing works. 2 cards in les then a week.

Wich phone? did you enabled encription in settings, by chance?

gigiipse

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
As an update I just reached 4 destroyed SD cards as of last week. Sometimes after a restart it would tell me that something happened to the sd card and it needs to scan it. Even though it never finishes the scan it starts working normally after another restart (most of the time). This happens on my 735 and not on my wife's 640 so it might be something related to the device yet this is more than I can take. Just ordered a couple of samsung. No more windows for me :(

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
As an update I just reached 4 destroyed SD cards as of last week. Sometimes after a restart it would tell me that something happened to the sd card and it needs to scan it. Even though it never finishes the scan it starts working normally after another restart (most of the time). This happens on my 735 and not on my wife's 640 so it might be something related to the device yet this is more than I can take. Just ordered a couple of samsung. No more windows for me :(

Are you able to re-format the card on your PC. Did you give that a try and then see if it works on the 735. I have found that the card reader from phone to phone (IOS, Android and WM) have a hard time reading the card header. If I format it on my PC and put it back in; it normally works fine.

Let us know if you try and whether it works or not.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I had 2 patriot cards die in builds pre AU. I can copy but not write. My wife lost her bridal shower pics because it failed to fully write to the card. Needless to say, I'm done with cards.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps the brand and spec of the SD card plays a part? I have a Sandisk 200GB SD card inside my 950XL, which has all my music on it. Even on the latest Fast Ring build, I've never had any SD card issues.

gigiipse

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to re-format the card on your PC. Did you give that a try and then see if it works on the 735. I have found that the card reader from phone to phone (IOS, Android and WM) have a hard time reading the card header. If I format it on my PC and put it back in; it normally works fine.

Let us know if you try and whether it works or not.

I tried only on the first 2. Tried diskpart and a a whole lot of utilities. Some say they can't do it, some say they formated it but after I eject them and insert them back nothing is deleted and still write protected. I gave up on the last two, I tried only on the phone for those and changed phones. There was no data loss. I actually suspect Maps to be the cause. Can't remember why but at some point I remember I suspected that restoring or updating Maps to be the problem.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here, I can read but not write to the card and after each restart of the phone (950XL) I have a message that says there is a problem with the card.

jasonm2009

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I have had to reformat my Sandisk Extreme Pro on several occasions due to using the Insider Builds. The card hasn't run as well ever since. That started twelve months ago. You can fix the card by formatting on your laptop/ PC but of course will need to spend time setting it up again. I won't get 200 GB card because of the issues mentioned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99