What flagship models do you think will release with W10?

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
So with the newly announced 1520 being discontinued it made me wonder what models are Microsoft looking to refresh? How many do y'all think there will be from Microsoft and from other carriers?

I originally thought the 1520 would last another year, but maybe they're upping the amount of RAM in these devices? 2gb seems enough though.

Keep in mind this is all purely speculation. So IMO I think they'll release some models like these:

920 successor. ( 940 or whatever it'd be called ) Out side of the refresh from the 925 and maybe the 930 ( which is closer to the 1520 ) I think this is a given. I want to say this is going to be their smaller handset variant with the 4.5 - 4.7 inch variant. I think at the most it would be a 5', but I feel like that would instead be named the 935. I feel like most of these are going to have the new intel phone chipset. Which can be great or terrible being that this is the first of their kind.

1020 successor ( 1030? ). I think this is a given and this is something that most people seem to want since they loved their 1020 (myself included), but also cause it didn't have that long of a lifespan. 41mp camera is a must, but I'd either like to see that up higher (for marketing purposes). Ultimately it just needs a better sensor to produce better pictures though. Now I would put this guy at the 5 inch mark as well. With the refresh of 2gb standard of RAM and the Denim Lumia Camera update, this could put the Galaxy S6 quick camera feature back to shame. This camera NEEDS to have top notch processing power and ram so I would say Snapdragon may be the safer bet over the intel chip.

I honestly don't think there will be a 1530 or a Surface Phone just yet. As much as I'd love to see both they cannot, as a company, release multiple models and have them all compete against each other either.

TL;DR

Which models in your opinion would be released with W10?

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
there will definitely be a 15 series and a 9 series in my opinion. the 9 series will be 1080p, the 15 series will probably be 4kish similar to the new note and hopefully with an ntrig pen that'll allow digital ink and marking up any and everything. more than anything I yearn for a pen. so ideas can go straight to the digital world!

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
there will definitely be a 15 series and a 9 series in my opinion. the 9 series will be 1080p, the 15 series will probably be 4kish similar to the new note and hopefully with an ntrig pen that'll allow digital ink and marking up any and everything. more than anything I yearn for a pen. so ideas can go straight to the digital world!

I'm hoping the 1520 successor is more than a higher resolution display and a pen I probably won't use.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Look to the 640 for a clue.

940 and 940 XL with the latter replacing the 1520.

Maybe a 24MP PureView Zeiss and a 28MP PureView Zeiss respectively.

I think the 1020 won't see a successor.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Well there is a good chance of the three big models.... The 930, 1020 & 1520 replacements.

Each will no doubt be modified greatly from one another more than before in order to be able to choose what suits who.

While the 1020 had its own department by having that honking camera, the 930 & 1520 were pretty much the same phone but different sizes.

I myself have a 930 & love it, but chances are that while the 1020 variant will continue to focus on video and photos, the variant of the 1520 will no doubt focus more on the tablet side of things, while the 930 variant will no doubt be the primary flagship as your standard 5" 'ish mobile device with every bell and whistle thrown in for the everyday mobile / gaming user.... While keeping far enough away from the 1020's field and keeping away from the 1520's tablet area.

The new 1520 will still probably be a premium device and more expensive than the 930 variant, but will thus remain an exclusive area where it would only peak the interest of a specific audience.

The new 930 will be the all-rounder flagship, while the 1020 will cost about the same as the new 930, but have a superior camera at the expense of some hardware.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Really sucks because my screens broke, up for upgrade but none in sight! Wont just spend money to " hold me over" . ms assumes no one needs flagship upgrades is tough to deal with.

Bill Harvey1

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I feel your pain! Been on the 920 for 2+ years now. Don't want to "upgrade" to a lesser spec phone just to have something "new". Really hope waiting for a new "flagship" phone is worth it!

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is so late to the game with a flagship. I have the m8, which a lot of people label as a WP flagship, even though its a repurposed Android phone that lacks a lot of the Lumia character.

I got my m8 last August since I didn't see a flagship Lumia on the horizon, and today, many seasons later, I still am hard pressed to find a Windows phone to be excited about.

That said, Im not a nay-sayer and really want WP to succeed. I'd love to see a high end flagship, but it needs to be clearly distinguished from rest of the Lumia line up.

Maybe Microsoft could give it a name like Zune...that ancient artifact who's name hasn't been spoken aloud in millennia. And while im fantasizing, I'd like a full qwerty again. The blackberry classic has my eye with that. I realize the qwerty thing is not necessary but, this is what a flagship should have in my opinion: a WP with fingerprint scanner, 20+ mp Zeiss camera, QI charging, SD slot, and a real USB slot would be awesome. I don't know why, but In the business world I live in, there are no phones that you can stick a thumb drive in. It would be a killer feature and make life so much easier than wireless and micro SD trash.

In know, TLDR, everything moves on

Last edited:

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As long as they have a flagship option that isn't the size of a small tablet I'll be happy. 5" or so 1080p would be fine for me. 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 805, 32GB or more with MicroSD slot, removable battery, and wireless charging. Give me those things and I'd gladly purchase to replace my 925.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that thinks there is going to be more than 1 Flagship release is living in a dream world. We have yet to see evidence that MS can release ANY type of flagship...let alone multiple flagships at the same time.

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
As long as they have a flagship option that isn't the size of a small tablet I'll be happy. 5" or so 1080p would be fine for me. 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 805, 32GB or more with MicroSD slot, removable battery, and wireless charging. Give me those things and I'd gladly purchase to replace my 925.

Agreed, larger smartphones have a place, but one should be able to have a flagship that's reasonable size. The 640 and 640xl isn't a bad model for sizing. I think the m8 is a bit large

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I dont like the idea of there being 3 flagships, you only need two..a 920/930 successor with an awesome camera, and then a 1520 successor with the same or maybe just higher megapixel camera...there really shouldn't be a specific super camera phone model...the 940 and 940xl should already have the best camera Lumia has to offer,they really dont need and shouldn't make a third model with a camera to put the other to to shame, instead the 940 and 940 xl should HAVE that camera in them already...if they make a 1040 the Lumia flagship line will be in self conflict

Last edited:

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I am more interested in Microsoft rolling all Nokia features into windows 10 so we don't need to wait on Microsoft for flagship releases. Imagine if LG, Samsung and HTC were able to release their Android phones and phablets day one with Windows, complete with glance screen, double tap to wake, etc. The idea of running WP10 on a Note 5 with S-Pen and all of Nokia's features would be enough to grab a significant market share from apple/google. Of course this will never happen if Microsoft doesn't stop limiting OEMs to one chipset maker.

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I dont like the idea of there being 3 flagships, you only need two..a 920/930 successor with an awesome camera, and then a 1520 successor with the same or maybe just higher megapixel camera...there really shouldn't be a specific super camera phone model...the 940 and 940xl should already have the best camera Lumia has to offer,they really dont need and shouldn't make a third model with a camera to put the other to to shame, instead the 940 and 940 xl should HAVE that camera in them already...if they make a 1040 the Lumia flagship line will be in self conflict

I can say the opposite, Lumia 1020 has a unique feel, and also I can transform it (more or less xD) into a reflex with the camera grip!
Not everyone would look forward a phone with a giant thing like 1020 has, but other do. So there should be that option.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
There will be a 940 and a 940 XL. Both will have top line cameras and very similar specs with the main difference being screen size just as Microsoft has done with the 640 and 640 XL. I seriously doubt there will be a true 1020 replacement.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
There will be a 940 and a 940 XL. Both will have top line cameras and very similar specs with the main difference being screen size just as Microsoft has done with the 640 and 640 XL. I seriously doubt there will be a true 1020 replacement.

and I think that that's a good line up too..the 940 and 940xl should within themselves succeed the 1020's camera IMO

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I can say the opposite, Lumia 1020 has a unique feel, and also I can transform it (more or less xD) into a reflex with the camera grip!
Not everyone would look forward a phone with a giant thing like 1020 has, but other do. So there should be that option.

but whether it has 41 megapixels, 20 megapixels, or even 8-10-14 megapixels, pretty much all the high end Lumias have either thickness or camera bump due to its camera power..whether you have a 1020 or a 1520 or 830 or 930, you still get either a camera bump or thickness from the camera..so them making a separate phone to have the best camera still wont stop the main 2 phones from having camera bumps or thickness from that camera power..so I feel it's very unnecessary to have a separate phone for utmost camera power when you can just put it in the main flagship, and the main flagships larger sized phone.. besides the camera bump has easily become more than just a result of the camera having extreme internals stuffed in it.. It's become a super cool and notable Lumia design element!!:confused: that you get regardless of your cameras power, so no need to make a separate phone just to save non camera centric users from a tiny trim of camera size, when they ARE gonna get some form of camera bump either way

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Anyone that thinks there is going to be more than 1 Flagship release is living in a dream world. We have yet to see evidence that MS can release ANY type of flagship...let alone multiple flagships at the same time.

In the span of a couple of weeks, MS released the 435, 640 & 640XL.... Among a few 5XX variants on top of that.

What makes you say they couldn't release 2-3 high end phones?

Do you think that they just sent all these guys home after the above phones were designed and released and are not putting them to work right now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans