Classic mode UI

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Not to mention, "remove background" brings it back to the wp8 screen.

You mean the Start screen? I guess my link is referring to the overall UI, not only the Start screen.

Start screen alone doesn't equal "UI",

I'm referring to toggles, pivots, ellipses if they take them away, etc.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what to think about the new toggles. They're OK I guess? But I still think the current ones fit Metro better.
About the new way to pick the time and date, it's ugly. The current one (in 8.1) is also ugly. I like the picker that was present in the Windows 8.1 Alarms app.
The pop-up menu (when you press and hold on something) is crap in W10, I really like the current one better.
IDK where are they going with this new look, but it sure could use some work.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I can only assume that the smart alec reply above and the "holding it back from evolving" post are referring to me.

For the smart alec, you are taking it too far. I simply made a suggestion and said if you want to vote for it do so. Not that it needs to be there.

For the post saying I'm holding it back from evolving... The whole point was for some of us it appears to be evolving in a way we are not totally comfortable with at the moment. We embraced the change to the Windows 8 metro style and done of the best parts are being removed in favor of UI that is prevalent in other for factors that do not transfer well to a one handed device above 5 inches.

It is simply a suggestion that those who agree can vote on. This thread intention was to put the link out there. This was not made to be a thread telling me why my idea is dumb (smart alec reply) or how I'm preventing Microsoft from making changes(they seem to be doing fine, hence my post and having an OPTION doesn't prevent anything from changing at all). If you don't like it, move along.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It's not going to happen. It's unfortunate how WP fans are the ones holding WP back from evolving

I appreciate it, but its just a uservoice suggestion. I felt like saying "Hey I have this idea, come like it if you agree".

Just saying, you guys are pretty much just trolling whether intentional or not. Read my first post again to see why.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate it, but its just a uservoice suggestion. I felt like saying "Hey I have this idea, come like it if you agree".

Just saying, you guys are pretty much just trolling whether intentional or not. Read my first post again to see why.
I do apologise if I did offend you or any, so apologies for that. But having a classic UI isn't going to solve much as it will result in confusion with the user. If Microsoft made themes available to users then sure I guess a classic theme would make sense

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I do apologise if I did offend you or any, so apologies for that. But having a classic UI isn't going to solve much as it will result in confusion with the user. If Microsoft made themes available to users then sure I guess a classic theme would make sense

It's okay. I guess I was just hoping this was just a list with a link that little could follow and that's all. If no one votes for it, then it isn't a good idea.

I see your point and it makes sense to me also that it should be as unified as possible, so I understand.

It wasn't your post that offended me actually, it was the other one. I guess they were being sarcastic or something but whatever.

Thanks for saying something. I might have gotten much more upset than I should have and replied too soon. Long day and I was overly sensitive. Waa waa LOL. No hard feelings to anyone. You guys are just sharing your opinion also and I appreciate it. I just think my point was misunderstood.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not going to happen. It's unfortunate how WP fans are the ones holding WP back from evolving

Oh please. Last time I checked evolving doesn't mean throwing out a lot that is good for inferior garbage.

I wish some people would think more before making such posts.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh please. Last time I checked evolving doesn't mean throwing out a lot that is good for inferior garbage.

I wish some people would think more before making such posts.
But what does keeping the same UI for 5 years solve? It's always been a thing in the tech industry to have a UI refresh of some sort.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you trying to say that nothing changed between WP 7 and 8.1? C'mon.

I'm all for a refresh in design if it's original and it follows what works. Changing from a unique, clean and stylish design language to a watered down version of Android from 2011 with awkward to use controls doesn't solve anything and will end up turning off a lot of people that came to WP in the first place. That's not evolving design or smart business sense. That's freaking dumb.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Are you trying to say that nothing changed between WP 7 and 8.1? C'mon.

I'm all for a refresh in design if it's original and it follows what works. Changing from a unique, clean and stylish design language to a watered down version of Android from 2011 with awkward to use controls doesn't solve anything and will end up turning off a lot of people that came to WP in the first place. That's not evolving design or smart business sense. That's freaking dumb.

I agree with this. That's my main issue with most of the changes. I'm happy that they are trying to evolve the design, but when most of the changes are at the expense of the originality that actually works when people give it a chance, I take issue with it.

That's why I think they can go ahead with what they think will garner more users, but if I want a "classic theme" (thank you for that 12Danny123, that's the word I was looking for) then it wouldn't be a bad option to build into the OS. If it is too much work, then they don't have to do it, just think the option would be nice. Like when some apps don't give you a choice of transparent tile or not... the option would have been better.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
But what does keeping the same UI for 5 years solve? It's always been a thing in the tech industry to have a UI refresh of some sort.
Changes to icons and switches are okay, that's why ios7 and lollipop were okay. The way you navigate the os is mostly the same. But with windows 10 for phones. They completely killed what we loved. The one handibility. The pivots man, why kill the pivots. :'(

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Changes to icons and switches are okay, that's why ios7 and lollipop were okay. The way you navigate the os is mostly the same. But with windows 10 for phones. They completely killed what we loved. The one handibility. The pivots man, why kill the pivots. :'(

You asking why? I tell you why. Complete wasting of screen space! Every platform has pivot like implementation, theyt just do not use half of screen for the header of pivot :)

As about the topic. I do not see any big difference between 8.1 and 10. It could be much better to bring complete different start screen UI. Like classic mode with icons, so the people from iOS and Android could adopt to WP easily. Right now tiles and big list of app names looks awful for platform aliens.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You asking why? I tell you why. Complete wasting of screen space! Every platform has pivot like implementation, theyt just do not use half of screen for the header of pivot :)

As about the topic. I do not see any big difference between 8.1 and 10. It could be much better to bring complete different start screen UI. Like classic mode with icons, so the people from iOS and Android could adopt to WP easily. Right now tiles and big list of app names looks awful for platform aliens.
Exactly, they just make the text smaller or use icons, no need to completely remove them.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Complete wasting of screen space! Every platform has pivot like implementation, theyt just do not use half of screen for the header of pivot
One man's "wasting of screen space" is another man's "human-designed interface" The big headers, in addition to being a stylistic affect of Metro, also serve to make the first item in a list reachable.

Of course, there's nothing that prevents a developer from starting the list a bit lower on the screen. Effectively, the Me tile in the People app does that for me. I never use that tile, but it makes the "A" jumplist button and the first person on the list reachable. Although Microsoft is choosing to no longer provide leadership/guidance in the area of UX, there's no reason that independent developers for Windows, Android, and iOS can't do things in sensible ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss