Can i damage my phone by installing Win10 TP?

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
As you know that windows 10 technical preview will be released April 10 and I'm eager to try it out but can there be a possibility that I can damage my phone somehow ?

legend2

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
tomorrow win 10 will release for most of winphones and feel ok to update to win 10 preview no problems will be occur but it's better to wait for several days and follow people updated their phones then update it

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
After installing the preview; If you drop your phone in excitement, it could get damaged.......
;)

You should consider waiting for the slow ring build, if you are realm concerned. You will have more workarounds for any issues in the slow ring.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Possibility? Yes.
They have a disclaimer and everything, so MS makes no guarantee towards the quality, but I wouldn't expect it to be physically damaging devices left and right. The first build hasn't killed a significant of phones either, if any.

If you have no issue performing a factory reset/reverting to OS 8.1 on the phone and starting from scratch/a backup at most any given moment, I think you'll be OK.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
@saras112.
I would recommend to first download the Windows Software Recovery Tool and check if it works.
Some people had trouble installing this tool on there PC.
Furthermore for some people the recovery tool did not recognize the phone. Changing USB ports, cables or even PC was needed.
So if you have your "roll back" up and running you are sure that you can revert back if you do not like W10.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Wait for it to come to Slow ring. That could be more stable. But i recommend not to use it on a daily use phone. If u have an external phone for backup, then go forward and download the tp.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, here's my oppinion on that.

The chance that your device will be completely bricked tends to zero.
There is a chance, don't forget that, but it's so low that you have a bigger chance of dropping your phone than that happening.
That build is first made by MS developers, then tested by them, then sent out to internal testers and tested by them, then goes out to even more testers
and so on and on, and then you get it in the fast ring. If they haven't found that bug, it's eather ultra-rare or non-existant.
What's a little more realistic to happen is getting an error during the upgrade and your phone becoming temporarily unusable - but you're a flash away from a working device in that case.

All in all, yes, you can brick your device completely, yes you can brick it temporarily, but the chances are low and I wouldn't worry about that.

As for me, I'll probably wait a few hours before I install it. Check the forums to see if people are having problems. If it's nothing special, I may not even install it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Can you explain why you think this?
Everyone else, and myself, say otherwise.
Say you are tired of the preview because of a bug or app that isn't working and you roll back. Lets just say that the roll back feature hasn't worked for everybody. There are many horror stories in the forums about how people tried to roll back but the roll back failed, bricking their phone.

But it obviously won't physically damage your phone.

jglen_TNA

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I disagree from experience. There were initial issues with the Microsoft tool, but they were quickly worked around with the older Nokia tool and MS have now fixed their tool.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I would Defo wait a day or two to see the response.I rushed at the first build which was crap. Spent the next day trying to get the recovery tool to work, the tool too gives you only basic windows 8.1,so I had about 5 updates to get through to get back to where I was. I wouldn't say u can permanently damage your phone though from the preview,unless you end up chucking it at the wall in frustration

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
If you have to ask the question, then I'd wait. There are plenty of other people who know plenty about phones that will be able to test it. Also, if you have a 1020, I say go for it. As Gabe specifically mentioned it as his primary phone, if there is a phone that will work, it will be his.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The most you'd have to worry about is losing files if you have to hard reset or rollback. Get an SD card for your files. I can't imagine how an operating system could physically damage your hardware.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The most you'd have to worry about is losing files if you have to hard reset or rollback. Get an SD card for your files. I can't imagine how an operating system could physically damage your hardware.

Or OneDrive. That works too. I probably could go for a clean install anyway. My photos and videos automatically save to the cloud o I really have nothing on my phone to lose.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Can you explain why you think this?
Everyone else, and myself, say otherwise.

I think his opinion is pretty self explanatory and very true. The short answer is yes. Even Microsoft acknowledges that fact. It is likely? The answer is probably not. Can installing a beta OS do harm? Of course it can, as can installing beta software on any device, particularly those that are solid state. Whether the handful of people who had one of the first batch of devices had problems is also irrelevant. The reason other devices were not included was (initially) because of partition sizing limitations. Have something go wrong, or have an unexpected bug crop up, while re-sizing a partition and that is a guarantee of a bricked device that may not be recoverable. People really need to consider stuff carefully before a) installing, or b) spouting poorly informed opinion. Do your homework and accept the risk - don't just skip over disclaimers or assume they are for someone else....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb