The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-28-2015 11:00 AM
79 1234
tools
    Most often I would agree with this statement, but it ignores the elephant in the room. It seems to support Microsoft moving towards the old design language of the other OS's, the language the other OS's themselves are moving away from. Copying old ideas like, for instance the hamburger, on the hope that it would be seen as familiar, (rather than old). Microsoft seems to be copying inconsistent random UI ideas rather than innovating further, the existing innovative Modern UI and maintaining a clear and consistent UI.

Apple computer OS has 6% market share worldwide. Do they panic, and change their UI to copy goggle and Microsoft? No, they stick to their principals and grow and extend their UI to make it better. They don't change their UI to copy others. Normally I don't have much good to say about Apple, but I respect them, for this.

That all said, let's hope for the best.
    I'm not advocating a shift to more "familiar" UIs like iOS or Android, far from it. But I do believe Metro is due for some modification. I like W10's start screen customization which allows you to have as many or as few tiles.
    04-10-2015 11:22 AM
    I'm not advocating a shift to more "familiar" UIs like iOS or Android, far from it. But I do believe Metro is due for some modification. I like W10's start screen customization which allows you to have as many or as few tiles.
    Removing pivots and adding hamburger buttons isn't modification. That's going in a completely different and questionable direction.
    04-10-2015 11:39 AM
    I'm not a fan of the expanded start menu (start screen). Tiles are good but slapping on the start menu programs on the side, just looks bad IMO.
    04-10-2015 11:42 AM
    A totally different UI will only confuse people and turn them off.
    But people use different UI daily and they seem to cope OK. Unless they have only 1 device most people are using a PC, Mac, Linux, Chromebook, ios, android or Windows tablet, phone, work PC and gaming console in some combination. They will also be using different applications on different devices yet they are able to cope with all these different UI's why is the Metro/Modern UI the one that cant be adapted to?

And the sad thing here is that the Metro UI was truly the only unique UI to be introduced within the last few years and what Microsoft should have done is try and refine and build on it and address issues like discoverability that people had, rather than completely ditch unique concepts like Hubs. Now with a design that is more conventional, how do they stand out in a world where the best specs and apps are available on competitors platforms? The UI is what has drawn a lot of people to the platform, as many have claimed here. Without that, what's the selling point?
    prasath1234 and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-10-2015 12:12 PM
    Background tasks is not for uploading photos on whatsapp. All OS have background tasks for push notifications. That's how it works.
    Meant service, and WhatsApp was a bad example lol...

EDIT: Not referring to Microsoft.Phone.BackgroundTransfer
    Last edited by Yazen; 04-10-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    04-10-2015 12:12 PM
    Yes & No...
    Yes, cause the WP loyalists, like myself (to a certain extent), chose WP for its unique look, hubs & simplicity. The problem we have is not with the OS evolving, only the direction its taking like slowly turning into a forked version of Android only worse due to lack of app support & the OS restrictions that restrict interactions between various apps causing feature gaps. About the Action Center, if my memory serves me right, was released about the same time as the Nokia X series & most of the criticism was about not implementing the android type notification center, but rather going in for the Fastlane like that on Nokia X.

No, cause its just that WP started out late, by which time Android & Apple had already grown in the minds of consumers. Once they're into an ecosystem, its tough to get them out. This leads to the infamous vicious cycle of "Low marketshare-> No apps-> Low marketshare". Also, theres the case of carriers & sales people, but I won't get into that cause I do my shopping online & am from India (so don't really know about carriers).

So, that leaves WP with trying to entice fresh users(this too is kind of tough, seeing as even toddlers start demanding for iPhones now) or people fed up with Android & tech enthusiasts who just want to give the platform a try.
    04-10-2015 12:29 PM
    And the sad thing here is that the Metro UI was truly the only unique UI to be introduced within the last few years and what Microsoft should have done is try and refine and build on it and address issues like discoverability that people had, rather than completely ditch unique concepts like Hubs. Now with a design that is more conventional, how do they stand out in a world where the best specs and apps are available on competitors platforms? The UI is what has drawn a lot of people to the platform, as many have claimed here. Without that, what's the selling point?

Metro is like a really awful but interesting prototype, these things never get to market. I think every product that used this design failed miserably.

Something bizarre can attract some attention, but It'll always be niche. Microsoft has to develop a good product that appeals to the masses.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-10-2015 12:36 PM
    The day I see icons on my Lumia, I'm going right back to windows phone 7.

Windows phone purist are not the issue and anyone who truly believes that I question their logic on so many levels.

If Microsoft starts copying what the others are doing while they have their own unique features/designs, then what is going to differentiate our OS from theirs. If I wanted something similar to ios and android, I would have one of those phones.

I joined windows phone 8 for metro. I don't like the notification center but I use it.

I am a Lumia purist. I find most other non Lumia phones irrelevant because they do nothing for this platform except cause annoyed users who are mad when they chose a poor OEM who abandons the platform.

The UI has never been the problem. The problem is and always has been the lack of apps and features holding it back. You can have a unique user interface while still adding similar features.

Just like we never needed more OEMS. the lack of choice wasn't the problem. It was again lack of apps and features.

I'm all for evolving but I want uniqueness and exclusivity not something that is following trends. Microsoft screwed up metro by releasing an os that lacked features and still does. Had windows 8 been what is windows 10 and we had more features and apps for phone the os would be fine and selling well.

So no its not our fault. It's Microsoft's plain and simple.
    04-10-2015 12:51 PM
    Metro UI lost. Its out of date and no longer acceptable to have the same UI for a long time, let alone years what MS did.....PS this is all my opinion....
    Thank God.
    920Walker and Kram Sacul like this.
    04-10-2015 01:04 PM
    I'm all for evolving but I want uniqueness and exclusivity not something that is following trends.
    Those that own shares of Microsoft disagree. They want ROI. In other words, uniqueness and exclusivity isn't selling. Fix it.
    04-10-2015 01:09 PM
    Totally agree with the OP. People cried about Win 8 nonstop. What happened? Msft made some changes. What was wrong with win8 anyway? It wasn't great for touch but everything else was fine. But as far as the question is concerned, no, I don't think so. WP's evolution is dependent on how well win10 desktop does. If all goes according to plan and the world realises that they cannot do without cortana in their life then we'll be better able to gauge what 'fans' contribute.
    fatclue_98 and prasath1234 like this.
    04-10-2015 03:24 PM
    My point was that Metro is the design language. Flat, sleek and simple in other words. W10 is supposed to be the thing brings everything together finally but still a starting point.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that WP8.0 or WP8.1 was the pinnacle of that design either.

I agree with the date and time picker!
    Oh that's what's you're talking about by Metro. The metro I mean is the one in WP8.1 where there are circled buttons, and no hamburgers and a total black theme with nothing else.

Basically the Metro in WP8.1 was form over functionality but of course the DNA of Metro concept is still in Windows 10
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-10-2015 08:18 PM
    Fact of the matter is that anyone on these forums is not your "average Joe" user. So, pleasing one loud group of people vs. the silent masses - which one should they choose? Marketshare is king...
    04-10-2015 08:24 PM
    Maybe I just remember it wrong but wasn't it the WP users in first place that requested the notification center for years?
    Not on this website. Well, a select few did, but the majority of the posters here were Anti-notification center.
    04-10-2015 09:08 PM
    If you read reports from a couple years ago, pretty much everyone thought that WP would be holding a 10%, 15%, or even 20% market share by now. It would be hurting Apple big time, and even making a serious dent in Android's grip on the market.
    Sigh, I was one of those guys.
    icbdxjzhnuh69.jpg
    04-10-2015 11:12 PM
    The thing is, Microsoft needs to have a UI that people will be easily able to adapt to. Given that Windows Phone has a small market share compared to Android and iOS means that most new Windows Phone users will be coming from Android or iOS, not folks who never had a smartphone.

A totally different UI will only confuse people and turn them off.

I remember when I tried BlackBerry Z10 for the first time in a T-Mobile store shortly after it was released. I spent about 15 minutes fumbling around, since I had no clue how the gestures worked. I had no issues using iPhones/Androids at that time, even though I never owned either back in 2012. Eventually, I just put the BlackBerry Z10 down, and I never picked one up again. I wasn't new to smartphones, and I wasn't even new to BlackBerry (I used legacy BBOS devices from 2009-2012).

Something too different has a danger of being too unfamiliar and driving away potential customers, rather than attracting them.
    This is 100% true. Its exactly what happened when I gave my mum my old 920 to try out (she had an iPhone and was considering a windows phone as her PC was also windows). She gave up after a Day as it was too unfamiliar. I know we will say "well that's because shes old, or stubborn, or not tech savvy"...well, welcome to most of the mobile market! :P
    04-11-2015 03:00 AM
    Those that own shares of Microsoft disagree. They want ROI. In other words, uniqueness and exclusivity isn't selling. Fix it.
    And once again, the UI is usually the least of the complaints with windows phone. Microsoft released a half baked os that lacked the ability and features of android and ios and people dislike that because it can't do this.

And the app thing. Had Microsoft released an OS that wasn't so handicapped aka windows phone 7......and had they put more effort in refining the os and marketing it, I do think that this os wood be higher than it is. I sell windows phones for a living and I rarely here, it looks confusing and hard.

It's usually

Parents:
    Some random bank or app I never heard of doesn't exist

Teens:
    I can't snap chat my friends or this app sucks compared to my iPhone.

So you can be exclusive and unique with your design while still offering a compelling product. Lets be real. Windows phone 8.1 is where android and ios were like two or three years ago.

For once it appears Microsoft is actually entering 2015 and the os doesn't seem to be as handicapped.

Both android and ios have their unique style and mentality and they continue to lead not only on market share but in the fact that they are offering compelling products without sacrificing their identity.
    sketchy9 and prasath1234 like this.
    04-11-2015 05:08 AM
    If they're going to make it like Android or iOS, then we all might as well switch to Android or iOS. Same looks and feel, same hardware, ten times more apps.

The UI in Windows 10 TP is inconsistent - sometimes you swipe, sometimes you press something, sometimes it's the hamburger menu. Sometimes the back button works, sometimes not. Sometimes swiping does one thing, sometimes another. Jeebus.
    04-11-2015 05:13 AM
    She gave up after a Day as it was too unfamiliar
    Oh c'mon, if it was windows phone she was using before that would have been a similar reaction towards other OS.
    On to the original topic then, One thing that bugs me is how we are able to speak for others, like saying people clinging on to old metro design, or the introduction of hamburger menus. I mean all we see is a very small group of people going for and against each other on a site used by 4,748,076 people. For example, now If I were to say with the people around me hated live tile concept, that would not mean everyone does. Its millions of users using windows phone, but one compares their own locality (which in my case is only 10 windows phone out of probably 1000 androids), cannot justify the statement. I cannot simply say the livetile should go based on what, 10 people around me.
    I still believe this is a evolution of metro/modern not a copy of something. One can take inspiration from others. You compare cars from today and 2 years back, some have changed drastically, some have remained same, which doesn't essentially make it a bad thing.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-11-2015 05:19 AM
    Oh c'mon, if it was windows phone she was using before that would have been a similar reaction towards other OS.
    Oh cmon, windows phone has like TWO PERCENT MARKET SHARE. The fact you have to wake up to is you can "OH CMON" all you want, that's the reality of the situation so most of the damn time people will be coming FROM ios and android TO windows phone. If you cant see that then I cant help you.
    Tien-Lin Chang and runamuck83 like this.
    04-11-2015 05:51 AM
    Oh cmon, windows phone has like TWO PERCENT MARKET SHARE. The fact you have to wake up to is you can "OH CMON" all you want, that's the reality of the situation so most of the damn time people will be coming FROM ios and android TO windows phone. If you cant see that then I cant help you.
    Ha, I agree with you for the fact of 2% market share, no doubt about that. I am sorry you got offended in some way(seeing you got a bit cocky). I was stating that particular reaction anyone can have and still be different for other people. But how can you tabulate what those other people coming from IOS or android would hate and would like to have some familiarity with their older OS. with 98% share of others how can you state that?
    That is what I explained later in my comment above. You cannot justify based on your own personal experience or your opinion. I can just easily call a group of 10 android people and have them say that they wouldn't want any similar experience from their own OS[when considering a new OS], WHICH will still not justify the fact that I or group of 10 won't have similar expectations. and yeah Oh c'mon. because I will.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-11-2015 06:06 AM
    I haven't installed W10TP on my phone they can do what ever they want my judgment reserved for the final product if i like it I'll use it if don't well there is always other options but by looking at some screenshots it look promising... Can't wait for the final release :)
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-11-2015 06:22 AM
    A pig is still a pig no matter how you dress it up. If the apps aren't there for the end user to be able to use the phone easily this OS will fade away.
    04-11-2015 12:37 PM
    The only thing that's inconsistent to the look of WP that defined and separated itself from IOS and android are the rounded profile pictures and buttons. It looks retarded and a straight up copy. I prefer windows phone 8 and below for its LOUD personality. Now its just falling in line following a trend.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-11-2015 01:46 PM

The UI in Windows 10 TP is inconsistent - sometimes you swipe, sometimes you press something, sometimes it's the hamburger menu. Sometimes the back button works, sometimes not. Sometimes swiping does one thing, sometimes another. Jeebus.
    This is why it's a TECHNICAL PREVIEW. It's not the final product, it needs refinement however you as an insider can provide first-hand valuable feedback to make it better. I have it on my Lumia 521 & yes it's buggy as hell but it's promising and I've sent feedback several times in the past 24 hours. You can always revert back to an earlier version if this I've doesn't suit your needs.

Everyone needs to see the glass as half full and not half empty or completely empty. I for one have no plans to leave the Windows/Microsoft ecosystem even if Windows Phone market share drops down to 0.5% worldwide.
    04-11-2015 10:16 PM
79 1234