Are WP fans holding WP from evolving

WPmaniac4 25

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes they are. Just because android uses wireframe icons doesn't mean when they appear on your phone the whole experience will be cripples. To evolve you need to embrace change

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Yup I agree, majority of them want simplicity and too much of simplicity is not good for power users who want most from their personal devices

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If you hate 'Live tiles', you are using the wrong OS man. Go back to where you came from. I'm not saying Notification center is bad. But saying Live tiles is just a flipping square with random information is like saying notification center is just a pull down page with shortcut buttons. Meh!
Have some more thoughts into the utility of it will ya?

Feel free to tell me when & where I said "I hate live tiles"? Live tiles are great for getting a glance view of current news headlines, seeing the current song playing, seeing stocks & seeing weather. But a notification center brings ADDED functionality that Live Tiles simply don't have at the moment. A live tiles shows that I have a new message available, great...but it opens me up to the SMS app with all of the SMS messages. The notification center takes me directly to the new message --- and with Windows 10 Mobile, you can reply to the new message directly from the notification center. Live Tiles for items such as a Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, screen brightness toggle is wasted space on the home screen for myself personally, I much prefer being able to swipe down a hidden menu to access such toggles. My home screen is dedicated to apps I frequent use or tiles I frequently look at for quick info.

FYI, the "random info" comment was an exaggeration, but it was in reference to the fact that when you tap a live tile, you aren't taken to the item that was just displayed on it --- extremely annoying for news headlines that are no where to be found once you open the app.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference between wanting the OS to "change" and wanting it to "evolve". Evolve means recognizing shortcomings and adapting to fix or improve the experience. Change is simply making something different for the sake of making it different. What the OP seems to be suggesting is "changing" not evolving.

Adding the notification center was an example of evolving. It recognized a shortcoming (being unable to queue up missed notifications) and found a way to add that ability without changing the core OS.

Doing away with live tiles is a change for the sake of changing. Of all the complaints users and non-users have about WP, live tiles are not one of them. The idea is to make improvements, not just make changes.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I mean look at the notification centre from WP8.1 everybody hated it and wanted it to go away and look at it now. Its a tool that everybody uses. Same with the UI with Windows 10. Everybody hates the new UI for Windows 10 for phones.

The OS is also for small tablets, putting a full screen date and time pickers makes NO sense whatsoever. have you guys thought about them? Of course not

Get over it guys, Metro UI lost. Its out of date and no longer acceptable to have the same UI for a long time, let alone years what MS did

Do you agree we WP fans are clinging to the past and not letting WP evolve the way it's supposed to?

PS this is all my opinion. So judge all you want

Android and iOS completely revamped their UI? No? Then I think it's not Microsoft's fault since everyone is still sticking to their roots. Google's greedy take on Windows Phone hinders the growth of the mobile world. Google not making apps for Windows Phone hinders development and growth of mobile tech.

Google wants the mobile world to remain a duopoly and that's partially to blame of the shortcomings in terms of Mobile OSes. They know they cannot monopolize the Mobile Industry because iOS will remain the leader in the flagship area and that wouldn't change anytime soon. Microsoft is right now on par with iOS and Google sans the apps which isn't as big of an issue it was say 2 years ago.

Microsoft's fault here is they cannot market their phones properly but right now with good valued Windows Phones in the market, their share will be remarkably bigger this year than any of the years before at the end of 2015. Windows 10 will be a turning point and the make or break of Microsoft. The Surface Phone needs to happen and a catchy name would definitely help. Naming their phones after numbers and releasing lots of them is confusing. They should name their next gen phones with words and focus on four editions of phones namely the flagship, the flagshipXL (phablets), midrange and entry level.

We really can't blame the users since Win10 TP is the most comprehensive preview of the OS and this is still in ALPHA. We may or may not see this UI, these features in the final build.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I mean look at the notification centre from WP8.1 everybody hated it and wanted it to go away and look at it now. Its a tool that everybody uses. Same with the UI with Windows 10. Everybody hates the new UI for Windows 10 for phones.

The OS is also for small tablets, putting a full screen date and time pickers makes NO sense whatsoever. have you guys thought about them? Of course not

Get over it guys, Metro UI lost. Its out of date and no longer acceptable to have the same UI for a long time, let alone years what MS did

Do you agree we WP fans are clinging to the past and not letting WP evolve the way it's supposed to?

PS this is all my opinion. So judge all you want

I agree, and if there is one thing I have learned about many WP fans is that they are whiners and complain about most changes. They feel some kind of inferiority to iOS and Android users and feel that any changes will make them look even lesser in the eyes of their rivals.

hal Turnage

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Definitely more then 2 people complained about just keeping live tiles for notifications instead of the pull down curtain.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to see how 10 looks on my phone. I will say, I do like the minimal look of Metro. On Windows, I think they went too far to the desktop side for Windows 10. I think they could have compromised a bit better between tablet and desktop.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Most often I would agree with this statement, but it ignores the elephant in the room. It seems to support Microsoft moving towards the old design language of the other OS's, the language the other OS's themselves are moving away from. Copying old ideas like, for instance the hamburger, on the hope that it would be seen as familiar, (rather than old). Microsoft seems to be copying inconsistent random UI ideas rather than innovating further, the existing innovative Modern UI and maintaining a clear and consistent UI.

Apple computer OS has 6% market share worldwide. Do they panic, and change their UI to copy goggle and Microsoft? No, they stick to their principals and grow and extend their UI to make it better. They don't change their UI to copy others. Normally I don't have much good to say about Apple, but I respect them, for this.

That all said, let's hope for the best.

I'm not advocating a shift to more "familiar" UIs like iOS or Android, far from it. But I do believe Metro is due for some modification. I like W10's start screen customization which allows you to have as many or as few tiles.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not advocating a shift to more "familiar" UIs like iOS or Android, far from it. But I do believe Metro is due for some modification. I like W10's start screen customization which allows you to have as many or as few tiles.

Removing pivots and adding hamburger buttons isn't modification. That's going in a completely different and questionable direction.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm not a fan of the expanded start menu (start screen). Tiles are good but slapping on the start menu programs on the side, just looks bad IMO.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
A totally different UI will only confuse people and turn them off.

But people use different UI daily and they seem to cope OK. Unless they have only 1 device most people are using a PC, Mac, Linux, Chromebook, ios, android or Windows tablet, phone, work PC and gaming console in some combination. They will also be using different applications on different devices yet they are able to cope with all these different UI's why is the Metro/Modern UI the one that cant be adapted to?

And the sad thing here is that the Metro UI was truly the only unique UI to be introduced within the last few years and what Microsoft should have done is try and refine and build on it and address issues like discoverability that people had, rather than completely ditch unique concepts like Hubs. Now with a design that is more conventional, how do they stand out in a world where the best specs and apps are available on competitors platforms? The UI is what has drawn a lot of people to the platform, as many have claimed here. Without that, what's the selling point?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Background tasks is not for uploading photos on whatsapp. All OS have background tasks for push notifications. That's how it works.

Meant service, and WhatsApp was a bad example lol...

EDIT: Not referring to Microsoft.Phone.BackgroundTransfer

Last edited:

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes & No...
Yes, cause the WP loyalists, like myself (to a certain extent), chose WP for its unique look, hubs & simplicity. The problem we have is not with the OS evolving, only the direction its taking like slowly turning into a forked version of Android only worse due to lack of app support & the OS restrictions that restrict interactions between various apps causing feature gaps. About the Action Center, if my memory serves me right, was released about the same time as the Nokia X series & most of the criticism was about not implementing the android type notification center, but rather going in for the Fastlane like that on Nokia X.

No, cause its just that WP started out late, by which time Android & Apple had already grown in the minds of consumers. Once they're into an ecosystem, its tough to get them out. This leads to the infamous vicious cycle of "Low marketshare-> No apps-> Low marketshare". Also, theres the case of carriers & sales people, but I won't get into that cause I do my shopping online & am from India (so don't really know about carriers).

So, that leaves WP with trying to entice fresh users(this too is kind of tough, seeing as even toddlers start demanding for iPhones now) or people fed up with Android & tech enthusiasts who just want to give the platform a try.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
And the sad thing here is that the Metro UI was truly the only unique UI to be introduced within the last few years and what Microsoft should have done is try and refine and build on it and address issues like discoverability that people had, rather than completely ditch unique concepts like Hubs. Now with a design that is more conventional, how do they stand out in a world where the best specs and apps are available on competitors platforms? The UI is what has drawn a lot of people to the platform, as many have claimed here. Without that, what's the selling point?

Metro is like a really awful but interesting prototype, these things never get to market. I think every product that used this design failed miserably.

Something bizarre can attract some attention, but It'll always be niche. Microsoft has to develop a good product that appeals to the masses.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The day I see icons on my Lumia, I'm going right back to windows phone 7.

Windows phone purist are not the issue and anyone who truly believes that I question their logic on so many levels.

If Microsoft starts copying what the others are doing while they have their own unique features/designs, then what is going to differentiate our OS from theirs. If I wanted something similar to ios and android, I would have one of those phones.

I joined windows phone 8 for metro. I don't like the notification center but I use it.

I am a Lumia purist. I find most other non Lumia phones irrelevant because they do nothing for this platform except cause annoyed users who are mad when they chose a poor OEM who abandons the platform.

The UI has never been the problem. The problem is and always has been the lack of apps and features holding it back. You can have a unique user interface while still adding similar features.

Just like we never needed more OEMS. the lack of choice wasn't the problem. It was again lack of apps and features.

I'm all for evolving but I want uniqueness and exclusivity not something that is following trends. Microsoft screwed up metro by releasing an os that lacked features and still does. Had windows 8 been what is windows 10 and we had more features and apps for phone the os would be fine and selling well.

So no its not our fault. It's Microsoft's plain and simple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo