Are WP fans holding WP from evolving

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I mean look at the notification centre from WP8.1 everybody hated it and wanted it to go away and look at it now. Its a tool that everybody uses. Same with the UI with Windows 10. Everybody hates the new UI for Windows 10 for phones.

The OS is also for small tablets, putting a full screen date and time pickers makes NO sense whatsoever. have you guys thought about them? Of course not

Get over it guys, Metro UI lost. Its out of date and no longer acceptable to have the same UI for a long time, let alone years what MS did

Do you agree we WP fans are clinging to the past and not letting WP evolve the way it's supposed to?

PS this is all my opinion. So judge all you want

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I mean look at the notification centre from WP8.1 everybody hated it and wanted it to go away and look at it now. Its a tool that everybody uses. Same with the UI with Windows 10. Everybody hates the new UI for Windows 10 for phones.

The OS is also for small tablets, putting a full screen date and time pickers makes NO sense whatsoever. have you guys thought about them? Of course not

Get over it guys, Metro UI lost. Its out of date and no longer acceptable to have the same UI for a long time, let alone years what MS did

Do you agree we WP fans are clinging to the past and not letting WP evolve the way it's supposed to?

So having a preference for a truly unique UI is clinging to the past? Personally I don't see anything in the Windows 10 UI that makes it better than WP as it is now, its more or less similar to android and IOS. Not sure what your comment re tablets means but the current Windows 8 UI actually works well on tablets, in case you didn't know.

As for holding anything back, well its not as though they actually listen to feedback so that's neither here nor there.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
never heard of anyone hating the action center. i loved it from day 1. i get some changes are needed, and there's a learning curve that people don't want to bother with.... but spend the 5 minutes and see how awesome many of the changes can be :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I liked the NC, and I don't remember much backlash at all, except for maybe people hoping for something more unique/smarter.

Fun fact: (I've pulled this out before)
People hated Windows XP, the situation then is a parallel to 8 today actually.
Dumb start menu, fisher price toy theme, etc. why do that? Windows 2000 worked just fine! I'll stick with 2000!

etc.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I always thought it was hilarious that people would say "we don't need a notification center, we have live tiles!". A proper notification center is way more effective than a square flipping through random information that changes before you can even read it. "Live tiles" are good for information "at a glance", nothing else.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
To each his own, I am not a fan of the notification center. I don't hate it, I just don't find it terribly useful for my purposes. However, I acknowledge that without it there is no hope of stealing market share from the Goog. With that said, I am willing to give up any and all metro features for a more intuitive, powerful and efficient OS. Microsoft's market share is so miniscule that they can't afford to remain stagnant, they have to keep innovating until they hit the "it" feature that Android/iOS can't simply copy.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't like the Notification Center. I still don't like it and I think it's just a copy of all the other notification centers.
It could have been done way better.

And just look at the toggle buttons, they make me wanna throw up.
Bad design, very limited amount of them (only 4 on 95% of the phones).
Bad, bad, bad.
However I still use them, I can't deny that.
I use both the toggles and the notification center quite often.

The same goes for Windows 10. They keep saying 'This isn't final, there's still work to be done, this is just a preview', but I know a lot of bad stuff will stick.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I just remember it wrong but wasn't it the WP users in first place that requested the notification center for years?

Last edited:

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
The other side of the coin maybe when users trash each other. Eg: Oh Lumia is better than your HTC/Samsung. Like seriously, aren't we all in this together? Yeah, sure each phone has it's own advantage and cons but nah why trash your own kind just because its a different brand? They buyer made a choice, and its theirs to keep. Some users have also grown to be the bitter old man, which is understandable, given what Google does with YouTube. Kik,Snap chat, Instagram, banks ect ect abandoned us and some of us feel left out. They trash on everything, oh the update is going to take forever, and other pessimistic ways of thinking.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As I remember it, early WP7 users like me were bashing iOS for the same boring UI year after year. Now here we are 5 years into Metro and some folks don't want it to change? If in 5 years the Metro experience didn't catch on, maybe it's time to try something new. If a fresh approach finally brings in new users, I'd call it a necessary evil.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll admit that I was not a fan of a notification center for Windows Phone, but I feel that they did a good job with the Action Center. They managed to implement a system that was useful, but still kept to the UI and UX of WinPhone. The entire user experience of Windows Phone has been a give and take relationship between getting features that iOS and Android have, but also remaining unique. It is amazing to look at Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 and see how far it has gone from Windows Phone 7, despite a non-WP user seeing a phone with large, brightly colored tiles.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
As I remember it, early WP7 users like me were bashing iOS for the same boring UI year after year. Now here we are 5 years into Metro and some folks don't want it to change? If in 5 years the Metro experience didn't catch on, maybe it's time to try something new. If a fresh approach finally brings in new users, I'd call it a necessary evil.
I agree. I think its time for a refresh in the design. Having the same design language for years is not a good thing. So I think its good that Microsoft changed the UI for Windows 10

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Most often I would agree with this statement, but it ignores the elephant in the room. It seems to support Microsoft moving towards the old design language of the other OS's, the language the other OS's themselves are moving away from. Copying old ideas like, for instance the hamburger, on the hope that it would be seen as familiar, (rather than old). Microsoft seems to be copying inconsistent random UI ideas rather than innovating further, the existing innovative Modern UI and maintaining a clear and consistent UI.

Apple computer OS has 6% market share worldwide. Do they panic, and change their UI to copy goggle and Microsoft? No, they stick to their principals and grow and extend their UI to make it better. They don't change their UI to copy others. Normally I don't have much good to say about Apple, but I respect them, for this.

That all said, let's hope for the best.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte