Lumia 1020 and WP10 TP

atherosxd

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I'm rolling back to 8.1 Initially I had cellular connectivity for phone/messaging, but the cellular data refused to turn on with the toggle, so I restarted and it doesn't recognize my SIM at all now.

setting up another access point or selecting another access point will make the data toggle work as it should be :)

Nightwolf88

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. It's not that the screen is gone, it's that nothing is pinned. I an unable to pin some things though... like phone and most of the stuff I had pinned before. It's it possible to get 8.1 back if I didn't back up? I was expecting only Denim :(

You can go back with the windows recovery tool mentioned in the this thread.
I did an 3rd edit. try doing another, yes another hard reset. That fixed all my problems. I'm now running the 10 TP smoothly. Strange that i needed 3 hard resets but it did the job :)

SDKevin

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Getting My 1020 back to the latest 8.1 made me so happy. It's like having a new phone! Windows phone 10 is a sad mess. I do think it's cool MS let me try it but man they have a long way too go.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
You can go back with the windows recovery tool mentioned in the this thread.
I did an 3rd edit. try doing another, yes another hard reset. That fixed all my problems. I'm now running the 10 TP smoothly. Strange that i needed 3 hard resets but it did the job :)

Lucky you can roll back. Since Micro USB is such a terrible connector, mine cannot connect to a computer anymore so rollback is not an option. I am stuck with Windows 10 on the phone until a new flagship is out later this year.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Lucky you can roll back. Since Micro USB is such a terrible connector, mine cannot connect to a computer anymore so rollback is not an option. I am stuck with Windows 10 on the phone until a new flagship is out later this year.

Just connect to another computer or change the USB port.

RellD05

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Welp, RIP To my Lumia. As has been established in this thread, This first preview is totally unusable and literally makes the Lumia 1020 barely functional. So like others, I attempted to roll back to 8.1. Problem is though, like others, my micro usb port acts as if it has a short in it that affects data flow. So during my rollback, my phone, despite sitting perfectly still in an empty room, lost connection in the middle of it's rollback, and is now bricked with only a red Nokia screen able to display.
The recovery tool can't help because the port doesn't stay connected long enough for it to recognize the phone. I was in AT&T THIS close to abandoning Windows Phone altogether but ended up just having a replacement Lumia sent out.

I have to say though, despite this preview being super early, it has definitely dampened my excitement for the future of Windows Phone. This is by FAR the crappiest preview that they've ever released. I was expecting what we've grown used to with the Tech Previews, solid OS, with new, unpolished features. I was not expecting them to release a totally broken operating system. You can't even get a feel for the new features because the entire OS is broken. The FEEDBACK APP doesn't even work! I know they have a long way to go, but I'm questioning the future of Windows (phones) more than
ever these days. The total lack of a new flagship for so long, apps jumping ship left and right, and now this horrible first impression of the future...

Somebody tell me it's gonna be ok!!! lol

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
we will all have to agree that it's different experience for different folks, and a) it all went perfectly isn't true for everyone, and b) it was a disaster isn't either

it seems to vary, massively! my experience was virtually perfect on my 1020, and only a few minor things. conversely, my win 10tp for pc is an absolute train wreck and i cant even get it to boot to a normal functioning desktop, which is strange, as i saw someone mention that the pc version of the TP was miles ahead of the phone tp which they could barely use

lesson of the story, is err on the side of caution i guess, i lucked out on phone, and failed on pc! ;)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Seems to be a lot of folk saying it's unusable.
Out of interest, did those people hard reset after install? And set it up as a new device or restore from backup? And leave it a few hours to sync everything? Or dummy out straight away?

RellD05

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be a lot of folk saying it's unusable.
Out of interest, did those people hard reset after install? And set it up as a new device or restore from backup? And leave it a few hours to sync everything? Or dummy out straight away?

In my experience, I gave it a while to sync first. But I still couldn't send text message. After a soft reset is when my SIM went out. Saw on here some folks were hard resetting to fix it, so I tried that, and my hard reset left me with a black screen with only the notification bar at the top, no start screen (I left that part out my story). That's what led me to attempt rollback and kill my phone essentially. lol smh

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
First time I tried the update, just went the normal path: enroll, Fast track (only available option, anyway), update and... Bricked!
PC won't recognize the phone, reseting showed the operator and Nokia logos, but briefiely enough that PC could not see it.
So, I set it all (Lumia Recovery, plugged cable), set it to find the phone and then did a hard reset. This keeps the phone alive long enough so my PC could see it. PC downloaded the 8.1 firmware. Couldn't find the phone again. Did another hard reset and again it lived long enough for my PC to find it and Lumia Recovery took control of it, keeping the phone on and sending the firmware. It was ok again. Reinstalled Insider, just to get GDR2, and recovered my backup.

Tonight, I tried again, but this time I performed a hard reset first, and installed only the Insider app. Update worked fine and W10 was here.

The problem I'm facing now is that my Backup did not came complete. It's missing some apps, even some paid ones that now show app at the store as not purchased. This is not THAT bad, as apps are not that expensive, but still it's a bummer.

Enviado via Note 4

canadoc

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Was unimpressed at the limited features and bugs so downgraded.
Then upgraded but stopped at GDR2.
Seems smoother and camera shot to shot a bit faster

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
All I have are some little bugs(feedback app and file explorer crashing ), and performance wise only start screen shows some lag while turning on and off, apart from that love the instant app switching, no more resuming or loading, just go to the app opened before in seconds.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Welp, RIP To my Lumia. As has been established in this thread, This first preview is totally unusable and literally makes the Lumia 1020 barely functional. So like others, I attempted to roll back to 8.1. Problem is though, like others, my micro usb port acts as if it has a short in it that affects data flow. So during my rollback, my phone, despite sitting perfectly still in an empty room, lost connection in the middle of it's rollback, and is now bricked with only a red Nokia screen able to display.
The recovery tool can't help because the port doesn't stay connected long enough for it to recognize the phone. I was in AT&T THIS close to abandoning Windows Phone altogether but ended up just having a replacement Lumia sent out.

I have to say though, despite this preview being super early, it has definitely dampened my excitement for the future of Windows Phone. This is by FAR the crappiest preview that they've ever released. I was expecting what we've grown used to with the Tech Previews, solid OS, with new, unpolished features. I was not expecting them to release a totally broken operating system. You can't even get a feel for the new features because the entire OS is broken. The FEEDBACK APP doesn't even work! I know they have a long way to go, but I'm questioning the future of Windows (phones) more than
ever these days. The total lack of a new flagship for so long, apps jumping ship left and right, and now this horrible first impression of the future...

Somebody tell me it's gonna be ok!!! lol

Over react much? Technical Preview does NOT equate to Developer Preveiw. With that being said, Windows 10 (for PC/tablets) has had plenty issues as well, it all varies from user to users. Many have reported failed updates, missing start menu's, broken apps, ect. I'm running Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 1020 and for me, the Feedback app works & the update process went smoothly. I have the scaling issue throughout the OS and some stuttering when entering and exiting apps, other than that ---- seems to be fine for a secondary device used beta testing purposes ---- because it'd be pretty silly to use as a primary device.

The reliability and stability of an early technical preview isn't meant to give a great first impression. Oh and as for flagships, this is a non-issue as Microsoft is planning to release one soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb