Lumia 1020 and WP10 TP

Nathan Burgess

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Ran the update to Win10 TP.
Downloaded fine, began the installation and now is stuck in an infinite loop...
Shows "Nokia screen", then spinning gears for about 5 minutes, then goes blue, then back to "Nokia Screen".
I've tried everything, including the 2 different recover tools - neither detect a phone present (on 3 different computers).
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

mrmeyer

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
I have a series of random issues every time I boot - sometimes fast battery drain, sometimes SMS isn't working, sometimes phone locks up. I also get the "not for resale" message. Performance is incredibly slow, sometimes a full minute to load an app. I also seem to be receiving voicemail in my email app.

After reading these messages, I'm going to do a hard reset and see if it helps.

Edit: Nope. After hard reset, I see AT&T and Nokia bootup logos. Then "not for resale" and then black screen. Non functional.

I think I'm going to try to roll back now. The TP was fun for a while, but I need my phone back in a more usable format.

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a series of random issues every time I boot - sometimes fast battery drain, sometimes SMS isn't working, sometimes phone locks up. I also get the "not for resale" message. Performance is incredibly slow, sometimes a full minute to load an app. I also seem to be receiving voicemail in my email app.

After reading these messages, I'm going to do a hard reset and see if it helps.

Edit: Nope. After hard reset, I see AT&T and Nokia bootup logos. Then "not for resale" and then black screen. Non functional.

I think I'm going to try to roll back now. The TP was fun for a while, but I need my phone back in a more usable format.

"Not for resale" is displayed due to its a technical preview. It is a note to OEMs or any manufacturer that they cannot install this version of Windows and sell in the market yet.

Yes, technical preview will have its own minor bugs and that why there was a disclaimer stating that "you should not install it if you do not know what your are doing."

mrmeyer

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Yup, I knew that, and I know what I'm doing. I took W10 on a business trip this week and tried to report several issues - like calendar locations links not clickable for navigation, etc - but got errors just trying to use the feedback sometimes. I was aware it was going to be rough, and I have no complaints.

I have some complaints about the UI. Font is too small, the SMS app text/background combo is too dark so it's hard to read. I assume they'll fix those eventually.

But it's way too rough around the edges still. I don't recommend W10 yet unless one really really likes alpha testing. I rolled back last night and I'll wait for the release.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I knew that, and I know what I'm doing. I took W10 on a business trip this week and tried to report several issues - like calendar locations links not clickable for navigation, etc - but got errors just trying to use the feedback sometimes. I was aware it was going to be rough, and I have no complaints.

I have some complaints about the UI. Font is too small, the SMS app text/background combo is too dark so it's hard to read. I assume they'll fix those eventually.

But it's way too rough around the edges still. I don't recommend W10 yet unless one really really likes alpha testing. I rolled back last night and I'll wait for the release.

For the fonts, you can go to Settings > Ease of access > Ease of access and change the text size. Hope this helps.

exsanguine

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I have Wp10 on my 1020 for 4 days now. dittos on the complaints so far but nothing so drastic that it is unusable.

My issue is that I cannot roll back to 8.1.

My laptop now recognizes my 1020 as a 909. Thus when I try to rollback it errors out. If I choose the other option for detecting phone, no matter how many times I plug unplug plug it in, it does not see my phone.

So I guess I am stuck with 10 for now unless someone can help with this issue.

Ex

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I have Wp10 on my 1020 for 4 days now. dittos on the complaints so far but nothing so drastic that it is unusable.

My issue is that I cannot roll back to 8.1.

My laptop now recognizes my 1020 as a 909. Thus when I try to rollback it errors out. If I choose the other option for detecting phone, no matter how many times I plug unplug plug it in, it does not see my phone.

So I guess I am stuck with 10 for now unless someone can help with this issue.

Ex

Not very tech savy but the 1020 has always been the 909 , I did my research and that's the actual model name, I used the article on windows central the explained in detail how to roll back to 8.1 , I actually used the link in the article to download the Lumia recovery tool, my phone came up as 909, I chose the OS and within 30 minutes my rollback was a complete success. Hope that helps you.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yup it a next gen of Nokia 808 hence 909, when I first bought 1020 I thought the seller had sold me a fake piece, but after a while figured it out and was happy again.

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been testing this on my main handset for the past few days but have decided to roll back to 8.1.

I realise that this is a very early release but there are far too many bugs/problems to run this on my daily driver.

The problems I had were:

1. Feedback app was pretty much useless and wouldn't even open most of the time. This sort of thing I really find frustrating as I was willing to help test this and send feedback.
2. Resuming .....resuming.....resuming....resuming. For those hoping this problem has gone away, WP10 TP will bring them back down with a bang! No matter what screen I was on, trying to return to the start screen constantly displayed the resuming message for up to 30 seconds.
3. Phone dialler is very buggy and often results in a crash back to the start screen. I suspect this is due to the new search function as each key is pressed which makes the dialler very laggy and annoying to use.
4. Although I like where they are going with Outlook, the issue of not being able to separate work and personal accounts makes this unusable for me at the moment. Also, notifications on the live tiles didn't work most of the time. It also kept defaulting to calendar view instead of email when launching the app.
5. Overall there is a lot to like about WP10 and I'm looking forward to testing a later build but this one is just too unstable for me at the moment.

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back simply because I need email notifications for work.

Performance on my 1020 was pretty bad, but endurable (as well as understandable; it is a tech preview, and the previous very limited one was so unpolished that I can't imagine anyone with realistic expectations was expecting a consumer preview level of polish on this second release).

Virtually all of my "issues" with WP 10 on the 1020 seem like polish/build issues that will almost certainly be resolved by release, as opposed to obviously conscious design decisions on MS's part, so I'm fairly optimistic overall.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have been testing this on my main handset for the past few days but have decided to roll back to 8.1.

4. Although I like where they are going with Outlook, the issue of not being able to separate work and personal accounts makes this unusable for me at the moment. Also, notifications on the live tiles didn't work most of the time. It also kept defaulting to calendar view instead of email when launching the app.

I have been reading about using separate work and personal email but really do not understand what the issue is. Please help to elaborate for my understanding.

Is it two Hotmail or Outlook email addresses or is it one Outlook address and another corporate email address?

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading about using separate work and personal email but really do not understand what the issue is. Please help to elaborate for my understanding.

Is it two Hotmail or Outlook email addresses or is it one Outlook address and another corporate email address?

Happy to elaborate :)

I run a small online business and all corporate emails are saved on my 2 main office PC's. I also have an email forwarder set up in my hosting account to forward copies of all emails to an Outlook account, which I have set up on my 1020 with its own live tile.

My personal email is a Hotmail account which is also set up to have its own live tile.

This works perfectly well for me on WP8.1 and I can see at a glance at my start screen whether I have personal or business emails. As far as I could see, this sort of set up is not possible at the moment with Outlook on WP10 TP. In Outlook you need to open the app and select which account to view which is a rather long winded process. If it was possible to pin each account to the start screen with its own live tile this would be perfect for me.

It seems to be a popular request as when I did manage to get the feedback app to work this issue was one of the top on the trending list with almost 1k requests.

Hope this helps to clear things up a little? :smile:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Happy to elaborate :)

I run a small online business and all corporate emails are saved on my 2 main office PC's. I also have an email forwarder set up in my hosting account to forward copies of all emails to an Outlook account, which I have set up on my 1020 with its own live tile.

My personal email is a Hotmail account which is also set up to have its own live tile.

This works perfectly well for me on WP8.1 and I can see at a glance at my start screen whether I have personal or business emails. As far as I could see, this sort of set up is not possible at the moment with Outlook on WP10 TP. In Outlook you need to open the app and select which account to view which is a rather long winded process. If it was possible to pin each account to the start screen with its own live tile this would be perfect for me.

It seems to be a popular request as when I did manage to get the feedback app to work this issue was one of the top on the trending list with almost 1k requests.

Hope this helps to clear things up a little? :smile:

Hey thanks for the details. The email client that they are using an app that was used in iPhone/ Android (not sure which OS it came from).. So its just a port of the app to Windows. As the OS evolves, I am sure they will have the feature for pinning separate accounts to the home screen.

exsanguine

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Not very tech savy but the 1020 has always been the 909 , I did my research and that's the actual model name, I used the article on windows central the explained in detail how to roll back to 8.1 , I actually used the link in the article to download the Lumia recovery tool, my phone came up as 909, I chose the OS and within 30 minutes my rollback was a complete success. Hope that helps you.

I re-downloaded the Lumia recovery tool last night and after a few tries it made it all the way through the install of 8.1

Back to full performance again.

WP10 needs lots of work. I just hope all the feedback I have actually made it to the WP team.

ChuchoFett

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been able to update to the new build 10080 released yesterday? i get "The update couldn't be completed. (80070044)" error... help?
Thanks!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone been able to update to the new build 10080 released yesterday? i get "The update couldn't be completed. (80070044)" error... help?
Thanks!

I updated the morning it came out...how much free storage space do you have? Also at what stage of the update process does it show you the error?

ChuchoFett

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have about 12gb free, it downloaded, prepared for installation, rebooted, presented the gears .. started updating .. suddently if quickly fills the bar and then it boots to the lockscreen ... swipe up.. error screen displayed....

That being said... i had to use the Recovery Tool from my PC since i tried to Restore to factory defaults by using the option in the about settings... it kinda bricked... it kept showing me the gears and then go to a black screen of death with a : - ( face on it ... and looping to the same thing after a reboot.. so i had to recover via USB cable thru my PC and then when i updated from 8.1 to 10 it went directly to 10080.

Thanks for replying! :)

ChuchoFett

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found a way of syncing Google Account Contacts or Facebook Contacts ? i haven't been able to do it... i lost all my previous contacts... and can't seem to find the way to add them back. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre