Outlook - New Mail Client - Does anyone like at this stage?

levelbest

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Loaded the TP yesterday and after a day, rolling back to 8.1. Why? The email client. Outlook is just plain bad at this point. Too many features missing, navigation between multiple accounts is awkward at best and notifications in the center aren't all appearing and the tile doesn't show when new messages have arrived. Having one icon for your work and home accounts is a pain as well.

There are lots of things I'll put up with in a preview - but a mail client that's barely in beta isn't one of them.

Would have been nice if they had left the original client as an option till more spit and shine was put on Outlook.

Disappointed at best.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Workflows are priorities in a daily driver and e-mail is really important nowadays. I don't think anyone would blame if someone rolls back to 8.1 if it interrupts their productivity.

That being said, while it is more awkward to switch between accounts, I rather like it at this stage. Definitely reminds me of Maestro enough to use it until Maestro works on W10.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, while I understand it's in the early stages and I give it a lot of slack for that, I just have no way of knowing when a new email arrives. At the bare minimum I need notifications saying an account has email waiting for me. It doesn't have to list them out, I just need to know I have mail.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Cant find my gmail client ... Can u guys help plzz??

If you're looking for it after installing the new Preview, all the e-mail is under Outlook Mail now.

On another topic, I'm using a 635 and noticed that I had two Outlook Mails in Storage Sense on my phone. Stupidly I deleted one of them, which deleted both of them. Is that happening to anyone else (two Outlooks, that is)? I'm resetting my phone back to 8.1, then back to 10, again, because of that bit of stupid on my part.

levelbest

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, while I understand it's in the early stages and I give it a lot of slack for that, I just have no way of knowing when a new email arrives. At the bare minimum I need notifications saying an account has email waiting for me. It doesn't have to list them out, I just need to know I have mail.

Overall, I think that was my biggest issue with it. Need to know the mail is there and not just be checking it randomly. This morning, I had 20 emails sitting in my box, but got only one notification in the center, and of course, no live tile. Could have put up with the account switching otherwise.

Two other oddities - outlook.com wouldn't sync and just kept making me put in my password over and over, and I had what looked to be a phantom email account I couldn't delete filled with numbers and random characters after the upgrade and import of my existing accounts. I normally have four email boxes in all - and it showed 5 with this.

Donald Oaf

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I hate it.

I'm trying to separate my feelings regarding stuff that is just broken at this stage of development (for example, the swype-style keyboard doesn't work when I'm writing an email - I have to peck each letter individually), and design decisions.

Here are the things I don't like. At this point, some may be design decisions and some may be glitches
- smaller buttons for reply, refresh, etc
- all of said buttons are on the top of the screen rather than the bottom. I have a Lumia 1520; this just made my phone a substantially harder to use unless I've got two hands on the device.
- No live tile updates
- "push" email doesn't seem to be pushing in a timely fashion (I sent an email to an account that I have on two different phones and it showed up on my android device 22 minutes before it showed on my Lumia)
- It won't let me have two different Microsoft account inboxes; I've got an old hotmail account and a newer outlook account. It will only let me use the outlook account and won't let me add the hotmail account at all.
- only one tile for all email accounts combined. really? I like having separate tiles for separate accounts. Yes, I get that I can have a "unified" experience with all email in one tile/app. If I wanted that, I'd have done it with WP 8.1. This REMOVES options and customization; forced homogenization is NOT a good thing.
- But this matters very little inasmuch as the live tile isn't live anyway (admittedly, this is probably a glitch rather than a design decision, as is that the email tile isn't transparent

It's worth noting that a lot of the design decisions I don't like (particularly moving the controls to the top of the screen) also infest the Spartan browser.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I like it. I'm sure it could be better, but it's a massive improvement over the old one, in my view.

I immediately took to the page-by-page thing for different accounts, it's reliably informing me via SMS when new mails come in (which I've now turned off, satisfied that it works). I don't feel confused about which page I'm on, given that the header is strong and clear. I see there are a lot of complaints about this from people who feel differently, so the smart thing would be to allow users to split inboxes into separate tiles and separate instances of Outlook if they wish.

I'm seeing more Times New Roman in some emails than I'd like, which is to say I'm seeing more than none. It looks especially ugly in a smartphone, and I'm surprised that the default stand-in for unknown fonts would not be Segoe UI.

Svyatko Huk

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone manage to add additional outlook.com accounts ? I have 3 outlook accounts and other than my main one the other 2 tell me I need to allow windows phone to access them. Wtf.
Don't know if that's a known issue, or I need to do a hard reset .

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I had some trouble using this new outlook. I like the functionality but not the design. All the buttons are on the top(without a name for each one, I have to try each one), it's really hard to use by one hand.
I don't know how to select multiple emails either.

I'll spend more time with it, but can't say I like it at this stage.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Its great... remember its Mail and Calendar in one universal app

Swipe right flag
Swipe left delete

On Calendar swipe Sunday down to reveal month. Works fine. Sure there are a few bugs but it works.

Last edited:

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Loaded the TP yesterday and after a day, rolling back to 8.1.

Disappointed at best.
I did the same. Not only with Mail app but I'm disappointed with People, Phone, and Calendar apps too. There are other things I don't like, some related to UI and some to functionality, but Mail, People, Calendar, and Phone apps are awful in my opinion. Yes, I know it's beta... but...

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I like the look of where it's going, but it really does need the missing functional items finishing e.g. The not being able to return to Inbox from viewing a message.
Would love to see Search Folders make it there as a feature (guess that would depend on indexing etc).

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
For me, I have no issues with the UI, though it could do with a dark theme. UX, some major work needs to be done, the navigation is counterintuitive and the layout is current a step backwards and the action buttons need to be returned to the bottom of the app. Lastly I need individual mailboxes back and Quiet hours integration through calendar.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss