Outlook - New Mail Client - Does anyone like at this stage?

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I have used AC... it is not the same. It is work in progress. The outlook lacks a lot of features that outlook (accompli) offers on ios.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd say having a consistent UI across devices is a good thing.
This is exactly the idea that I'm worried that Microsoft is following. The UI should be the same is the usage style is. However, how users use phones is not a 1-for-1 match of how they use tablets or computers. The ideas need to be consistent, but the manner in which one uses the app should be respectful of the interaction mode.

The sad thing is that the chief complaint of Windows 8.1 is that it grafted a tablet UI onto a desktop OS. Now, with Windows 10, Microsoft seems to be trying the reverse: they're grafting the tablet UI onto a phone. I think that the wrong lesson has been learned. Ugh.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I love of it of course its pretty bare bones at this point. But more features and sync options will come but its **** cleaner and I love the slide to delete messages

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I love the slide to delete messages
Me too. But then again there's folk demanding they put an extra "Are you sure?" dialog in there. Which would totally negate the benefit. I properly detest confirmation dialogs/UAC etc - if I click the delete function, it should just get on with it. Especially when accidental deletions are so easily resolved.
They can't please all the people all of the time.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Me too. But then again there's folk demanding they put an extra "Are you sure?" dialog in there. Which would totally negate the benefit. I properly detest confirmation dialogs/UAC etc - if I click the delete function, it should just get on with it. Especially when accidental deletions are so easily resolved.
They can't please all the people all of the time.

I don't understand the need for that confirmation when there's a trash folder anyway simply go in there if u need to restore something

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the need for that confirmation when there's a trash folder anyway simply go in there if u need to restore something

Or just do it the way literally THOUSANDS of other programs on every platform handle this kind of thing: a confirmation dialog with a "Don't ask me this again" checkbox. Done.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Please just confirm that pressing the mail tile always takes you to the inbox.
The best thing to me about 8.1 mail is that it doesn't remember what folder you were in before, making you traverse back to the inbox. Instead the Start screen tile just always takes you to your inbox. And you can put multiple mailbox tiles on the Start screen as well.
I hate the way mail client works on ios and android.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Please just confirm that pressing the mail tile always takes you to the inbox.
At present, on first launch it takes me to the Inbox of the first (alphabetically) configured account. Which for me is an annoyance, as it's one of my other accounts I want to be the "default". On subsequent launches i.e. without having closed the app or rebooted the phone, it seems to remember which Inbox I was in and goes there.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
What if you weren't in an inbox though, but a subfolder or sent items right before you press Start button. If you then tap your mail tile it takes you back to the inbox or to that other folder you were just looking at?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
On a quick single test, yes, it goes back to where I was. These detailed behaviours may well change before release though. And I can see the decision to return to last location being a Marmite action.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I sure hope they return the current functionality.
Having to go back through the folder list to select inbox is bad.
Having all inboxes in the same folder list rather than in their own separate tiles is bad.
Windows Phone would end up being functionally worse just like ios and android.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Having to go back through the folder list to select inbox is bad.
That's the problem, some people might want that behaviour.
Having all inboxes in the same folder list rather than in their own separate tiles is bad.
Inboxes are separated by being shown under each account. Some will undoubtedly prefer a unified Inbox and/or the ability to pin Tiles for certain folders.
Windows Phone would end up being functionally worse just like ios and android.
It's a long way from being finished. We hope.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I suppose that would be an ok compromise. Have them all in one unified folder structure for people that like to scroll back through a folder list to inbox. While allowing you to pin a specific inbox to Start so people who like the current way can always get to new mail with just one press.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone knows how to set a primary email like if when I open the outlook I want my primary email to show up.
I've not tested it, but the accounts list looks to be alphabetical. You could rename <whichever account> to be first alphabetically and see if that opens as the "default".

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Outlook client was the main reason i rolled back to 8.1

​Major Flaws:-
Not getting nofitied when emails are arriving to folders other than Inbox. You have manually check for each folder
Couldnt add secondry outlook account - add new account only gave ( 365/Exchange and Gmail Option )
Unable to Pin individual folders to start screen to see if emails arrive to other folders other than inbox.
No Live tiles.

Outlook experience on WP is the only reason i am sticking to platform , if this outlook app is going to be same or even worst than Outlook or IOS , there is no reason for me to be on the platform.

Nadella and Terry - specfiically said Outlook experience will be best at windows platform , but doesnt seem to be the same , this is going to another SKYPE disaster , where they aquired accompli whos engineers have no windows coding talent , just andriod and IOS

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't like it at ALL at this stage, and I just now realized the underlying reason why - and no, it's not JUST the hamburger...

I couldn't get my work email to sync on my W10 test phone - which wasn't a big deal until this morning, when I broke the screen on my REAL phone, so now my test phone IS my real phone, and I kind of need my work mail - so it was off to the Outlook Web App, which I hadn't seen in years. And that was when I realized that the "new" Outlook Mail app on W10 is almost identical to the mobile view of the Outlook Web App - with all the ease of use and overall fluidity that that implies (i.e., very very little).

A lot of developers like web apps, because they're often easy to write; a lot of companies like web apps, because you only have to write them once for all platforms. The only people who tend not to like them are the people who USE them, but two out of three ain't bad?

If this is meant as an example of what the "Universal Apps" future looks like, then ugh.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Of the new features, Outlook is probably going to be the roughest due to where the code/team have come from.
I'm all for it starting to look close to OWA, but do wonder what's going on underneath it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)