04-20-2015 09:00 PM
36 12
tools
    Terrible luck starsoccer9. Thanks for keeping everyone posted on your journey. I for one share your disappointment.
    04-12-2015 04:09 PM
    Yes, I am tempted to retry it and see what happens. Just my first install of the new build for windows 10 prior to hard reset the screen would turn off on, but you could not turn it back on. So its interesting that all the issues seem to be related to the lockscreen.
    04-12-2015 06:19 PM
    I am not qualified to opine on what to do next, but speculatively speaking would it make sense to do a hard reset before installing Windows 10 preview?
    04-12-2015 06:56 PM
    I doubt that. I would say you can try to install it and see what happens. As I said. on my first install it worked, but if I turned the screen off I could not turn it back on. After hard reseting it, it worked fine till I rebooted it at which point all touch stopped working
    04-13-2015 07:30 AM
    Yes, I am tempted to retry it and see what happens. Just my first install of the new build for windows 10 prior to hard reset the screen would turn off on, but you could not turn it back on. So its interesting that all the issues seem to be related to the lockscreen.
    I don't have your model but if I was to take an educated guess, the lock screen issues may have something to do with the M8's dot view system. You may not personally use the system or have one of those flip cases for it, but chances are that there is conflict within the code or hardware that Win10 is not quite setup for and thus, might be the reason why these problems were happening with the lock screen.

In regards to your side buttons not working and having to soft reset, that isn't just with your phone. It happened a few times on my wife's 1320 and on my 625 tester phone.

My wife really "loves" what they're doing with W10 on the phone, but there were too many things that bothered her at the moment (performance, contacts not showing up properly, side buttons) just typical bug things.

My 930 is not invited to the party yet, but when it is, I will certainly give it a bash.

Back to you M8, if you do try and test it again, the first thing I would suggest is to jump into the settings right away and see what you can do to turn off some display settings to help reduce some of the bugs until another patch, but I don't think there will be much you can tweak.

For starters, I have noticed that you can not get into the Glance settings on either the 1320 or 625, so I assume the same issue exists for many others.

Secondly, there will be no settings listed specifically for the One M8 as it is not officially supported in this current build, therefore any issues with the Dot view stuff will not be easily fixed at present.

And finally, your lock screen and touch issues could be similar to how some people have problems with video cards in their PC's.

To over simplify, it's like trying to run an Nvidia GPU while using ATI drivers.... Or an Nvidia card with no drivers at all. It will either not work or only give you the basic functions to view.... The moment you try and play Far Cry 4, your system gets screwed up.

I imagine the hardware in the HTC is not exactly compatible with Lumia hardware settings current being used in this build.... Therefore you will no doubt run into the same problems if you try again.

As I said, this is all just an educated guess, but I would personally suggest waiting until the M8 is better supported in an upcoming build.

I could try and hack my 930 and get the latest build of W10 on it if I really tried, and while it is a Lumia and would stand a better chance at not barfing a turd when I start it up, it uses a specific display setup not common to other Lumias (which is why Glance is not available for my phone) and thus, I could still end up with a projectile turd.
    04-13-2015 08:38 AM
    Good thoughts Praxius. Do you think disabling HTC Dot View beforehand would help?
    04-13-2015 12:42 PM
    Interesting thoughts, I will just jump into my response tho,

So the dot view for sure has some sorta effect. On the old windows 10 build closing my dot view case wouldmake a yellow border appear on the screen and on all windows.

Why I think the thought process that it could be the dot view is a good one, I personally do not think that is the issue. Mainly because if it was the issue it would only occur when I closed the screen and the dot view screen attempted to start which only occurs when the case is closed which is exactly when the yellow border would appear. If I didnt have a flip/dot view case the border would never appear and I would have no issues.

Relating to disableing dot view, it is possible to uninstall the dot view, but it is quite hard to do. After upgrading to windows 10 it isnt possible to access any dot view settings or even locate the app. I could try it this weekend or something but am doubtful it will change much.
    04-13-2015 08:29 PM
    Well like I said, I am just guessing.

Why I think the dot view might be related is not due to whether you have it active or not prior to installing W10, but there could be code conflicts with the dot view and W10 during the boot up sequence.

Usually when the OS boots, it calls on all registry elements and detects hardware prior to you being able to do anything.

The phone powers up, the OS kicks in, it begins to load all drivers and registry elements for hardware & software, hits the code for the Dot View system that carried over from 8.1 or from HTC's hardware, says "Does not Compute.... Start breaking things" and you start getting conflicts and glitches through your display & touch due to that hiccup causing the rest of the display systems to go out of whack.

I'm not a coder nor am I heavy on mobile device knowledge, but as a person who has built a few computers in his day and a professional graphic designer who's had more than one issue with displays and driver conflicts over the years, the above is just a hunch.

If you could adjust the registry in W10 / your device to omit any information towards the dot view system, it might help prevent these issues from happening. As you can't change the dot view settings anyways and the dot view glitches your display, having it disabled won't hurt in the short term.

..... But fiddling with the registry and additional hacks might hurt you in the long term when another update comes along.
    04-13-2015 08:41 PM
    If you go to Settings, the Dot View settings can be found at the bottom. There is a simple toggle to disable them. I believe they are set On by default. Good luck. We are pulling for you.
    04-14-2015 03:42 AM
    If I was to go back to windows 10 having a registry editor would be no problem. It seemed to work fine for me with no issue. The main concern problem is once it goes into that mode where it no longer sees touch I have no option but to manually flash it back as no amount of reboots seems to fix it and I am unaware of anyway to do a hard reset without pressing the hard reset button
    04-14-2015 09:12 AM
    I have yet to install the preview.....keep getting notifications that its ready for install but I'm a bit worried. Noticed that my screen won't rotate while in IE and the phone is resetting about once a day since the preview been pending and also feel a bit sluggish. Is there anyway to completely abort the install? Or I'm a stuck with the notifications until I take the plunge?
    04-20-2015 09:00 PM
36 12