Will windows 10 for phones be worth the wait? It would be the 3rd reboot.....

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The reason I ask that is because a lot of companies, big or small, and devs are either pulling their apps from the platform or do not see it worth their time to even release an app for Windows. Yes, Windows has the basic apps available and I am pretty sure some will say there are work around/ 3rd party non official apps for certain apps/ websites but lets face it, that is not the same as the actual developer/company making the app. I sure hope Microsoft throws a lot of money and I mean a lot at marketing and getting developers/companies to release quality apps for Windows. Microsoft needs to stop touting how many apps there are in the Windows store, since to me that doesn't matter at all when 50% or more of the apps are junk/ blatant misuse of copy righted material. Microsoft needs to get the more top quality app developers to jump on board, get stores like Target to release an official app and entice more places like cities/universities to release apps. An example I have right now is Scanadu for the Scout, I was part their indiegogo funding campaign but can't use the device since they are just concentrating their efforts only to iPhones/Nexus phones with Windows phone not even on their radar.

This will be the 3rd reboot for the platform. Microsoft lost a lot of ground (about 2 years+) from when Windows Mobile went to Windows 7 since nothing was happening in between. During that time Google just exploded with Android and Apple well kept their lead and s60 unfortunately had it slows dying death. From Windows 7 to 8 Microsoft did better but still lost some ground since apps had to be modified to work on 8 and then people who had Windows 7 phones had to get new phones to even use Windows 8. Windows 8 has been good, it makes for a solid smart phone but I feel as though it's missing some basic phone essentials and just wished more quality apps/devs were there. The missing apps is the reason why I have kept my Android tablet. I did get excited about seeing Nokia making Windows phone, which is why I even gave the platform a chance since my first phone was the 520 but got disappointed by the regular basic phone features (the N95-3, my last great smartphone, had quality basic phone features ie: txt messaging handling, email (saved either on to phone or sd card, call log, phone book etc). I hope MS some how gets that knowledge/ software and manages to integrate it into Windows 10 since they did buy the mobile part of Nokia.

Microsoft has made changes and advancements with Windows, seeing how well 8.1 is and how good cortana is too. I like using cortana when it comes to tasking her with sending text messages by talking or having her read the messages out loud via bluetooth. MS just needs to go all out in a big way. I was hoping with the past announcement they recently made would have at least hinted or said something about what the next flag ship phone will be but disappointed that they decided to hold back on that info. Now with seeing apps not get published for Windows and companies pulling apps from the Store, those actions are making me rethink if waiting for the next successor to the Lumia 930 (hopefully with an SD slot) or successor to the 1520 (slightly smaller screen) will be worth it. Also MS needs to stop missing the boat on new trends. I see meerkat (unsure of spelling) and I forget which other app are popular but guess what? MS had bought a company that did live streaming feed but MS did nothing about it other than integrating that company into Skype for a dumb video messaging client platform. The company I am talking about was qik video streaming service, which I had on my N95-3 to use qik to stream live video straight on the net and then have that be my posted video too for fb. MS had that and just killed it, which is sad since that type of service is becoming popular. MS could have been on the forefront of the trend.

I know Firefox mobile is not that far behind, I see that is starting to grow and would consider using the platform once a phone with decent specs gets released with Firefox mobile here in the states. I am looking for an alternative to Android because well I did have it before and just did not like the fact on how my info gets used by Google on there, when I had my phone with Android I would get spammed heavily which all stopped when I got rid of the phone I had. I still use an android tablet but the phone book/phone call aspects of Android don't get used so I don't get spammed that way, maybe emails from time to time but no calls or odd text messages. As for Apple, well I don't like the iron fist Apple has over their products/ users.

So I do end with the question I started with. Will windows 10 be worth the wait? MS needs to do a lot to entice me to buy their next flag ship phone that's for sure.

PS: This is a little extra that I just needed insert here. My last great smartphone was the N95-3 that was a quality smartphone all around. I just wondered whatever happened to the devs/ apps who created Rock"n"Scroll and "Hand Wave" for the N95-3? If anyone knows what I am talking about. Those apps brought features to the N95-3 that I wish I could replicate with my phone today, like scrolling by tilting the phone or just waving my hand over for navigation. I know the closest I saw to something like hand wave was the commercial with Samsung galaxy with the chick answering the phone by placing her hand over the phone without touching it. Also I think Nokia was tinkering with the kinetic scrolling feature.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
The reason I ask that is because a lot of companies, big or small, and devs are either pulling their apps from the platform or do not see it worth their time to even release an app for Windows. Yes, Windows has the basic apps available and I am pretty sure some will say there are work around/ 3rd party non official apps for certain apps/ websites but lets face it, that is not the same as the actual developer/company making the app. I sure hope Microsoft throws a lot of money and I mean a lot at marketing and getting developers/companies to release quality apps for Windows. Microsoft needs to stop touting how many apps there are in the Windows store, since to me that doesn't matter at all when 50% or more of the apps are junk/ blatant misuse of copy righted material. Microsoft needs to get the more top quality app developers to jump on board, get stores like Target to release an official app and entice more places like cities/universities to release apps. An example I have right now is Scanadu for the Scout, I was part their indiegogo funding campaign but can't use the device since they are just concentrating their efforts only to iPhones/Nexus phones with Windows phone not even on their radar.

This will be the 3rd reboot for the platform. Microsoft lost a lot of ground (about 2 years+) from when Windows Mobile went to Windows 7 since nothing was happening in between. During that time Google just exploded with Android and Apple well kept their lead and s60 unfortunately had it slows dying death. From Windows 7 to 8 Microsoft did better but still lost some ground since apps had to be modified to work on 8 and then people who had Windows 7 phones had to get new phones to even use Windows 8. Windows 8 has been good, it makes for a solid smart phone but I feel as though it's missing some basic phone essentials and just wished more quality apps/devs were there. The missing apps is the reason why I have kept my Android tablet. I did get excited about seeing Nokia making Windows phone, which is why I even gave the platform a chance since my first phone was the 520 but got disappointed by the regular basic phone features (the N95-3, my last great smartphone, had quality basic phone features ie: txt messaging handling, email (saved either on to phone or sd card, call log, phone book etc). I hope MS some how gets that knowledge/ software and manages to integrate it into Windows 10 since they did buy the mobile part of Nokia.

Microsoft has made changes and advancements with Windows, seeing how well 8.1 is and how good cortana is too. I like using cortana when it comes to tasking her with sending text messages by talking or having her read the messages out loud via bluetooth. MS just needs to go all out in a big way. I was hoping with the past announcement they recently made would have at least hinted or said something about what the next flag ship phone will be but disappointed that they decided to hold back on that info. Now with seeing apps not get published for Windows and companies pulling apps from the Store, those actions are making me rethink if waiting for the next successor to the Lumia 930 (hopefully with an SD slot) or successor to the 1520 (slightly smaller screen) will be worth it. Also MS needs to stop missing the boat on new trends. I see meerkat (unsure of spelling) and I forget which other app are popular but guess what? MS had bought a company that did live streaming feed but MS did nothing about it other than integrating that company into Skype for a dumb video messaging client platform. The company I am talking about was qik video streaming service, which I had on my N95-3 to use qik to stream live video straight on the net and then have that be my posted video too for fb. MS had that and just killed it, which is sad since that type of service is becoming popular. MS could have been on the forefront of the trend.

I know Firefox mobile is not that far behind, I see that is starting to grow and would consider using the platform once a phone with decent specs gets released with Firefox mobile here in the states. I am looking for an alternative to Android because well I did have it before and just did not like the fact on how my info gets used by Google on there, when I had my phone with Android I would get spammed heavily which all stopped when I got rid of the phone I had. I still use an android tablet but the phone book/phone call aspects of Android don't get used so I don't get spammed that way, maybe emails from time to time but no calls or odd text messages. As for Apple, well I don't like the iron fist Apple has over their products/ users.

So I do end with the question I started with. Will windows 10 be worth the wait? MS needs to do a lot to entice me to buy their next flag ship phone that's for sure.

PS: This is a little extra that I just needed insert here. My last great smartphone was the N95-3 that was a quality smartphone all around. I just wondered whatever happened to the devs/ apps who created Rock"n"Scroll and "Hand Wave" for the N95-3? If anyone knows what I am talking about. Those apps brought features to the N95-3 that I wish I could replicate with my phone today, like scrolling by tilting the phone or just waving my hand over for navigation. I know the closest I saw to something like hand wave was the commercial with Samsung galaxy with the chick answering the phone by placing her hand over the phone without touching it. Also I think Nokia was tinkering with the kinetic scrolling feature.

i am definitely looking forward to winphone 10 . ;) good day

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting because I think it is worth waiting for. I love the platform as does most of us here. I'm reminded again about this book called The Druid Fantasy. Druids were an organization of trolls. Unlike the townspeople who would make clothes, repair shoes and build bridges in Scottsboro, Trolls had their own agenda and think they are offering a better way by trying to think for the town they don't represent, have no interest in or have developed nothing. You could always tell they were nearby because they all had the same foul smell. Cross any bridge in Scottsboro on foot when they were around and you had to burn your clothes because the smell is so potent. They were the Druids of Scottsboro but most knew them as trolls. Which brings me to this post.

Using your numbers, Windows Phone has had 3 reboots. How many reboots has it been for android since we are at Lollipop today. Lets count,

• Alpha (1.0)
  • Beta (1.1)
  • Cupcake (1.5)
  • Donut (1.6)
  • Eclair (2.0?2.1)
  • Froyo (2.2?2.2.3)
  • Gingerbread (2.3?2.3.7)
  • Honeycomb (3.0?3.2.6)
  • Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0?4.0.4)
  • Jelly Bean (4.1?4.3.1)
  • KitKat (4.4?4.4.4, 4.4W?4.4W.2)
  • Lollipop (5.0?5.1)

Since trolls cannot do math, I count 12. 12 separate reboots to only 3 using your number. The problem with trolls is they have a standard not based in reality or truth for that matter. If you live in a single ecosystem, you can do just fine. e.g. if I was in the google ecosystem, I would be just fine. Same with Apple and Microsoft. The problem comes up when you attempt to be in one ecosystem and live in another or several. Nothing but frustration can be the only result in that environment. I can wait.

If you can't why are you here?

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Fair points.

I don't think it's realistic to expect any iteration of WP to be a success all by itself. I've seen the various hypes over WP itself come and go, but the most positive signs I've seen for WP came not from the OS itself but the positive rumbles over the main Windows 10. Microsoft have done so much right with the positioning and promotion of Windows 10 and the newest tablets and laptops, better than they've ever done it the past, and I think that's what can sell Windows Phone. Once the remaining Vista/7/8 users get brought along to W10, there's a lot more reason to want a Windows Phone in order to enjoy the benefits of an OS shared across devices.

Certainly, I've never had more questions from my Apple/Android-owning friends about Windows Phone. It would be naive to think there's anything I can show them exclusively on the phone that would make them say "I must have this", but living with the system can change people. One friend of mine flips between Android and iOS every year or two, and I gave him my old L620 when he needed an interim phone between contracts. He was surprised how much he liked it, and completely changed his mind about WP. I think WP wins on this kind of "big picture" assurance, rather than on some "wow" aspect or feature.

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting because I think it is worth waiting for. I love the platform as does most of us here. I'm reminded again about this book called The Druid Fantasy. Druids were an organization of trolls. Unlike the townspeople who would make clothes, repair shoes and build bridges in Scottsboro, Trolls had their own agenda and think they are offering a better way by trying to think for the town they don't represent, have no interest in or have developed nothing. You could always tell they were nearby because they all had the same foul smell. Cross any bridge in Scottsboro on foot when they were around and you had to burn your clothes because the smell is so potent. They were the Druids of Scottsboro but most knew them as trolls. Which brings me to this post.

Using your numbers, Windows Phone has had 3 reboots. How many reboots has it been for android since we are at Lollipop today. Lets count,

• Alpha (1.0)
  • Beta (1.1)
  • Cupcake (1.5)
  • Donut (1.6)
  • Eclair (2.0–2.1)
  • Froyo (2.2–2.2.3)
  • Gingerbread (2.3–2.3.7)
  • Honeycomb (3.0–3.2.6)
  • Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0–4.0.4)
  • Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3.1)
  • KitKat (4.4–4.4.4, 4.4W–4.4W.2)
  • Lollipop (5.0–5.1)

Since trolls cannot do math, I count 12. 12 separate reboots to only 3 using your number. The problem with trolls is they have a standard not based in reality or truth for that matter. If you live in a single ecosystem, you can do just fine. e.g. if I was in the google ecosystem, I would be just fine. Same with Apple and Microsoft. The problem comes up when you attempt to be in one ecosystem and live in another or several. Nothing but frustration can be the only result in that environment. I can wait.

If you can't why are you here?

Really? You're going to attack me? I'm sorry but only posting 10 vs 3k doesn't make me a troll. If you're going to provide uneducated responses I'm sorry but don't respond at all. If you even read what I posted versus my headline then you would know that I don't even boast Android nor iOS at all. The only mention I have of Android is my tablet (which is a ASUS Tf101 Transoformer) that I have been using which luckily the only reason I still have it is because someone managed to put Lollipop on it and that I had tried Android out on a cellphone where I got spammed big time. Hell I call Google, "Evil Google" because they have strayed away from the motto of not being evil. The broken dream of Android is that Google made it seem as though if you got one device you'd be getting updates but that isn't the case because each manufacturer chooses if you will receive an update. Also your examples of 12 reboots make no sense because none of those updates with the exception of lollipop are considered major drastic changes to that OS. Windows Mobile is entirely different from Windows 7 mobile, Windows 7 mobile was entirely different from Windows 8 hence owners of Windows 7 devices only got upgraded to 7.8 not 8. Now Windows 10 is another restart and push for Microsoft, they are gearing up for it since they announced it. None of the updates for Android were seen as any sort of rebranding/reboot of that OS. So in all honestly what you posted is more of trolling than anything else and attacking my intellect is not showing great skills at presenting a good rebuttal to my argument I have made. In the end you didn't even present me with a good enough answer as to why I should wait for Windows 10. Microsoft needs to show something compelling to gain my hard earned money on a flag ship device or do their best to have developers/companies make apps for platform. If not then I'll just stick to my Lumia 530 that I have until something else compelling comes along. So be it if that is Firefox mobile or Cynogen with their moded Android OS off shoot or hell Nokia could make a comeback once they are allowed to create/sell mobile devices again.

I'll just end with this, it seems as though almost every day I read Windows Central news I see another company/developer choose not to update their app or drop support for Windows all together. I think the latest ones are Delta Airlines and 500px. So if the developers/companies are dropping like flies whats left? It's Microsoft right now is like Nintendo with the Wii U. 1st party makes all the good moves/apps but there needs to be 3rd party support, which right now it's lacking for WIndows phone (mobile.) Windows 10 cannot come soon enough and Microsoft needs to lay it out out. If anything at least leak what the next flag ship phone will be. I'll keep a watch out on what announces are made for that Build Developer conference coming up soon.

Last edited:

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Fair points.

I don't think it's realistic to expect any iteration of WP to be a success all by itself. I've seen the various hypes over WP itself come and go, but the most positive signs I've seen for WP came not from the OS itself but the positive rumbles over the main Windows 10. Microsoft have done so much right with the positioning and promotion of Windows 10 and the newest tablets and laptops, better than they've ever done it the past, and I think that's what can sell Windows Phone. Once the remaining Vista/7/8 users get brought along to W10, there's a lot more reason to want a Windows Phone in order to enjoy the benefits of an OS shared across devices.

Certainly, I've never had more questions from my Apple/Android-owning friends about Windows Phone. It would be naive to think there's anything I can show them exclusively on the phone that would make them say "I must have this", but living with the system can change people. One friend of mine flips between Android and iOS every year or two, and I gave him my old L620 when he needed an interim phone between contracts. He was surprised how much he liked it, and completely changed his mind about WP. I think WP wins on this kind of "big picture" assurance, rather than on some "wow" aspect or feature.

MS needs to do more to attract more users, and every day users too. I know tech geeks such as myself will be all over what gets released but it will take a lot of work. They do need to do what you pointed out though, make converts of iOS users and Android users. The promo they had I think a year ago or 2 years ago where you brought your phone in to a MS store to compare which one was faster or better needs to come back. I know for sure the voice features of Cortana definitely beats out the voice feature of Siri and riavles Google. That would be the main thing I would miss if I left the Windows platform since I use that a lot for text messages and setting reminders/alarms etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon