The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-30-2016 02:35 PM
140 1234 ...
tools
    So it seems that this bug is sorted out now.
    04-23-2015 02:20 AM
    Thanks
    04-23-2015 02:42 AM
    Quick question: Is it possible to run Win10 for phones in a phone without a SIM card, i.e. WiFi only? I've got a Lumia 925 with a cracked screen. I've replaced it with my new phone (Lumia 830 - happy with it), and don't want to spend the money on a new screen. I thought I'd test Win10 on it, but I'm not sure if it will work without a SIM card.
    05-07-2015 02:19 AM
    Quick question: Is it possible to run Win10 for phones in a phone without a SIM card, i.e. WiFi only? I've got a Lumia 925 with a cracked screen. I've replaced it with my new phone (Lumia 830 - happy with it), and don't want to spend the money on a new screen. I thought I'd test Win10 on it, but I'm not sure if it will work without a SIM card.
    Why not? If it fails, you can always roll it back anyway
    holzlondon and ajayden like this.
    05-07-2015 02:23 AM
    Yes, you can. I was running it an 822 without a sim card. I ended rolling it back to 8.1 because it was just too flaky. I'm going to try again when the next release hits.
    holzlondon and ajayden like this.
    05-07-2015 04:31 PM
    Thanks guys, I got it updated last night. Not too sure about it yet though. I can't seem to get the background image. It makes the transparent tiles just like in Windows Phone 8.1. Going to scourge the other topics in this forum to see if there are answers.
    ajayden likes this.
    05-08-2015 04:09 AM
    N just to add for those users that use Airwatch or other MDM tools that wont work on 10, i'd say configure that on 8.1 before upgrading.
    My corporate email runs on exchange, and can only be configured by MDM (airwatch in this case) - and manual configuration will result in the device getting blocked on server side.. And since this was my primary phone, not having my office mail was not an option..
    Also - i changed my settings to my default region / language etc before upgrade - and wasnt able to get cortana bak after upgrade..

So the steps that worked for me was
    > Hard Reset (i always have data baked up)
    > install insider, MDM (try not to install many apps)
    > subscribe to insider fast ring (i enabled Developer Preview just in case - wud assume this is not needed)
    > (i also had my settings (language / speech / keyboard etc) changed to US to enable Cortana - you may choose to leave it to those that your phone came with (that is what is recommended by MS for this build) (update: i still havent gotten cortana working properly)
    > i also unpinned all apps from my start menu before updating to Win 10 (saw a lot of the start screen issues, and thought i'd give it a clean state), some folks complained about start menu folders causing issues etc.. (all of this should be handled due to the initi hard reset)
    > install updates - u may move to GDR2 before u get win 10 ( u'll know yr on GDR2 wen u see yr settings have a blue heading of sections) , if u dont see updates open insider, again verify on fast track it can take a few mins to show an update
    > one you're on Win 10 (do not hard reset - else u'll loose MDM config) - my 930 works fine without a hard reset.
    since i'd unpinned all apps, init i didnt get a start screen - i pinned an app, and restarted my phone to see the start..
    > use store beta to install the office previews and other universal apps
    my 930 had certain areas all blank- esp in settings .. eg. add speech / language.. lock screen etc.. later did i realize they are actually present, but the black theme hid them.. switching to the light theme solved that..
    Last edited by Aswin Rajan; 05-18-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    05-18-2015 08:41 AM
    Can someone assist me please. I want to install this on my 920 but whenever I go to insider app it just resets. I have tried rebooting, resetting, and the windows phone tool doesn't work for some reason.. It can see my device and download but whenever it is time for image update it fails (multiple pcs). Any assistance would be great after I test on my 920 I will more than likely place on my 1520..
    05-18-2015 12:19 PM
    did you try both microsoft recovery and lumia recovery (nokia)? also try changin yr region / language etc
    and have u done a hard reset on the 920?
    05-20-2015 10:46 AM
    Thanks OP.. tried it out, but working my way back to 8.2 :)
    06-05-2015 02:44 PM
    Great post OP.

I have the 1520 AT&T. I paid for the developer preview a while back but when I try to use the insider app I have no luck. I also see that maybe AT&T users are ineligible? Do you think I should be able to install using your original instructions? I don't remember having to do a factory reset before to get 8.1.

thanks in advance.
    06-07-2015 05:11 PM
    You paid for dev preview?? it's free man. Also, if not locked by AT&T you should be able to upgrade it. Just try.
    06-11-2015 01:52 AM
    When doing these hard resets, are you doing them using the buttons on the phone (Volume Up, volume down, Power, volume down)or from the phone menu (Settings>About>reset your phone) ?

Does it make any difference which way ?
    06-17-2015 09:05 AM
    I'm getting a build 12634 in the phone update option. Can anyone confirm if it is the build 136??
    06-17-2015 09:52 PM
    As as wikipedia says, it says that 12634 is in fact the 10136 build. I am installing right now on Lumia 920 and will let you know the results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...ersion_history
    06-19-2015 12:31 PM
    Hello ajayden. Perhaps you can help me. I have a Lumia Icon (No update 2 available) which I was able to load Windows Phone 10 build 10080. I then tried to load Build 10136 following your instructions paying particular attention to reset the phone before each attempt. All attempts have failed. The sticking point seems to occur 10 minutes into the installation during the two grinding gears image on the screen. The status bar never seems to completely fill and then I believe the phone restarts the process. I have left the phone in this condition from anywhere between 3 and 8 hours. I am able to revert back to Windows 8.1, Update 1 with no trouble. As an experiment, I tried to get back to Windows Phone 10, Build 10080 by using the Slow Ring option. No such luck this way either. During the attempts, I get a notice of an update which I promptly install. the only problem is that it still leaves me in Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. I am not sure what is going on, but any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    06-22-2015 09:57 AM
    does your point 9 mean you do a hard reset after Win 10 was installed? Dont you lose Win 10 and go back to 8.1 with that?
    06-29-2015 02:55 AM
    No a hard reset is always effecting your current installed OS, where should the hard reset get all the files for another OS version from? You need recovery tools on the desktop to revert to another OS version.
    06-29-2015 03:12 AM
    I tried WP10 on Lumia 535 two days back but due to data issue downgraded to WP8.1, after reading your post I'm going to try once more, I have no other issue except data.
    were you able to install? I'm getting the error that there's not enough space available on my device... I removed every piece of software I could remove but still need 300-400meg extra to install... Everything I could move to microSD has been moved but still no joy...

Don't want to install it on my 930 as that's my main mobile and need that just working for my job...
    06-29-2015 03:20 AM
    ok, here is my experience with installing the 10149 build on my Lumia 1320.

1. hard reset
    2. setup as a new phone
    3. update to GDR2, downloading insider app, etc.
    4. updating to win 10.
    5. getting a boot loop with the spinning wheels after it already took 4 hours to go through the first time with an endless boot loop in the end.
    6. using the recovery tool to go back to 8.1.
    7. doing everything the same way again and installing win 10.
    8. nothing on Win 10 works. cant download anything from the store, weird 0x8 errors or something. not able to receive messages or call somebody. all in all, nothing works, really.
    9. going back to 8.1.

so, its just not working for me, sadly. i think, i'll just wait for the finished version :(
    06-29-2015 10:07 AM
    ok, here is my experience with installing the 10149 build on my Lumia 1320.

1. hard reset
    2. setup as a new phone
    3. update to GDR2, downloading insider app, etc.
    4. updating to win 10.
    5. getting a boot loop with the spinning wheels after it already took 4 hours to go through the first time with an endless boot loop in the end.
    6. using the recovery tool to go back to 8.1.
    7. doing everything the same way again and installing win 10.
    8. nothing on Win 10 works. cant download anything from the store, weird 0x8 errors or something. not able to receive messages or call somebody. all in all, nothing works, really.
    9. going back to 8.1.

so, its just not working for me, sadly. i think, I'll just wait for the finished version :(
    I tried to install on my 1320 yesterday. It took ALL day & into the night. In the end I had a blank page that just kept ....loading....
    I could swipe down the action centre & access settings etc. but not home screen. It made the phone useless. So I reverted back to Denim. I'll wait a while longer to try again.
    06-29-2015 06:36 PM
    No clue how you people have problems installing WP10. I've followed all of the instructions, installed it for like 2 hours or something, without any problems. The only thing that's missing is that i haven't downloaded WP8 build 2, but WP10 only after I checked for the update. Still works fine as ****, except the store and the camera ofc. Store keeps popping some error. Doing the final restore after the instalation, hope it's gonna work perfect (ik the camera won't, but I'm talking about the store lol)

EDIT: Wi-Fi works fine as well
    Everything works good. New store is amazing, can watch youtube videos via ie as well, even Cortana is working. I am more than satisfied.

Lumia 520 btw.
    Last edited by bmzye; 06-30-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    06-30-2015 05:17 PM
    Just installed 10149 on my 640 tonight. Took almost 2 hours. Sd card not detected after a random robot while setting alarm tones but a battery pull fixed that. Running very smoothly infact, much to my surprise. One thing though, can't seem to swipe touch buttons off the screen. Am I missing something?
    07-01-2015 07:58 AM
    Apps I purchased back in 8.1 OS carried over to mobile 10 10149 ok and worked fine until I did the updates from the (beta store) now when I open them up they are in trial version so I tried to do purchase again it says loading, then complete. I go back to the app open it and it's the same. I deleted the app an buy, install then compete but it's still in trial. How do I get my purchased (full version) back in windows 10 mobile again? I did try both stores with no luck I'm at a loss...
    07-01-2015 12:28 PM
    Apps I purchased back in 8.1 OS carried over to mobile 10 10149 ok and worked fine until I did the updates from the (beta store) now when I open them up they are in trial version so I tried to do purchase again it says loading, then complete. I go back to the app open it and it's the same. I deleted the app an buy, install then compete but it's still in trial. How do I get my purchased (full version) back in windows 10 mobile again? I did try both stores with no luck I'm at a loss...
    I had this problem with a purchased app. I contacted the developer and he advised deleting and reinstalling from the regular store. In my case this immediately fixed the problem. I don't recall rebooting the phone at any point but it wouldn't do any harm to reboot after the uninstall.
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    07-01-2015 10:05 PM
140 1234 ...