Guide: How to install W10M Insider Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, good to know and makes sense. I guess if you're going to hard reset anyway later why not do it one more time. What's the proper way to hard reset, by the way because the last time I thought I had done it it turns out I didn't do it the "correct" way because I only used a button combo.

Button combo and OS triggered hard reset both do the exact same thing. Neither one is more correct than the other. Doing it through the UI is just simpler:

Reset my Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I did the first update after 10 Preview's install and it says there are three more but is it slower than pouring molasses for anyone else? It just hangs on "Downloading" and the bar doesn't advance and I check maybe 30 minutes later and its still there. I thought perhaps the animation isn't updating to indicate how far along it is because it didn't show anything for the first update then all of a sudden it was done. Is this slow progress about the same for everyone else?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting a black screen I can't seem to get out of whenever I try to reboot the phone. All I can do is go back to glimpse, the actual home screen never comes up though I know it's "active" because going all the way down in volume eventually vibrates when it goes to the vibrate volume option.
Also.. in terms of time I have 512, 514, and 536 to go and it's been 15 hours. It's been going back and forth between Preparing and Downloading every few hours.

Last edited:

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've now been "downloading" and "preparing" for 26 hours without completion. Is that wrong and is there anything I can do to make this process faster?

UPDATE: So after getting the first slow ring update to 10511, I did a hard reset and I just spent the whole night with the phone going from gears to sad face to reboot, to gears to sad face to reboot, over and over. I have no idea what to do and nothing in this thread seems to speak about this. If someone can help, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

Last edited:

erionzani

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Followed ajayden's instructions on first page and installed latest build on my 1020. Can confirm that following his "how to" leads ( as to my case with Nokia Lumia 1020 ) to a painless upgrading experience.
Using my Nokia 1020 as a daily driver for about five - six days now with no major problems, no reboots just minor ( os-known) glitches. Remark; the known yellow-tint of the camera, in my case, has disappeared !!:cool:
Battery seems to have settled as I'm getting nearly the same battery life as with v8.1 with normal use.

Last edited:

KennyMcCormack

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I have not had any success installing the latest build on my 950xl. The guide assumes one starts with 8.1 not 10.

Is there anything different one with 10 starting out should do?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have not had any success installing the latest build on my 950xl. The guide assumes one starts with 8.1 not 10.

Is there anything different one with 10 starting out should do?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

You can use the following steps :

1) Back up all the data and pictures on the phone
2) Hard reset the phone (For a beta OS its better to start from a clean phone)
3) After hard reset, DO NOT restore from backup. Set up as new phone.
3) Download Windows Insider App
4) Select fast ring and complete all steps until the phone reboots
5) Check for updates in Settings>Phone Updates
6) Download and install update for Windows Mobile 10
7) Very important : Hard reset the phone
8) Now install all the apps that you need, from the store

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I've now been "downloading" and "preparing" for 26 hours without completion. Is that wrong and is there anything I can do to make this process faster?

UPDATE: So after getting the first slow ring update to 10511, I did a hard reset and I just spent the whole night with the phone going from gears to sad face to reboot, to gears to sad face to reboot, over and over. I have no idea what to do and nothing in this thread seems to speak about this. If someone can help, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

I assume all your pictures and documents are still on the phone, and you have not backed it up and hard reset it.
You need to do the above step for a clean install.

Try the following for the sad face :

1) Turn off the phone.
2) Once the phone is off, Hold the Volume down key then plug the charger (charger should be connected to the power source ").
3) Once you see the exclamation ( ! ) sign, remove your finger from the Volume down key.
4) Then press the following keys , Volume Up, Volume Down, Power Key and Volume down.
The phone will turn on automatically, this may take several minutes and it will show two gears that are spinning just wait for it to finish.

virobloc

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
First of all, thanks ajayden ! I have a 1020 just like you, and following your instructions everything has worked perfectly! :D
There has been a difference in my process; the steps 5 to 8 were just one for me. I was on update 1 but when I checked for updates (step 5) it downloaded W10. I guess they have changed something since you updated yours.
I had to reset again after downloading Lumia camera and once more after setting it as the default camera app.

I did it 6 days ago and so far it's been working fine. It doesn't seem faster, it IS faster. To me it's like a new phone.
There's just a couple of things broken:
- I can't download Catalan keyboard. It's stuck downloading
- I can't download Spanish Voice pack. It's stuck downloading too.
I can go on without the keyboard, but I need the voice pack to get Cortana to work.
Does anyone know if there's a way to fix that? Aren't languages available on preview?

Edit:
Well, this is spooky. Somebody call Scooby-Doo, please.
For the last six days I've been trying to download the keyboard and the voice I mention above. As soon as I pressed "Submit post" my phone asked me to restart it. Now I have my Catalan Keyboard, the Spanish voice and I can use Cortana :I

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Edit:
Well, this is spooky. Somebody call Scooby-Doo, please.
For the last six days I've been trying to download the keyboard and the voice I mention above. As soon as I pressed "Submit post" my phone asked me to restart it. Now I have my Catalan Keyboard, the Spanish voice and I can use Cortana :I

Actual this is a pilot to make ambassador and other knowable people obsolete.
Just ask your question and press submit and your problem is automatically solved.

Rob Reynolds

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys/gals! I am on the insider programme on my 640xl, and it runs very well. Is it worth using it on my 950xl as well? I'm quite happy with the performance of my new phone but miss The buzz of getting new updates, trying new things etc. (I clearly need to get out more, obviously!!)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys/gals! I am on the insider programme on my 640xl, and it runs very well. Is it worth using it on my 950xl as well? I'm quite happy with the performance of my new phone but miss The buzz of getting new updates, trying new things etc. (I clearly need to get out more, obviously!!)

Firmware update on 950 series online in the rings, together with builds

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
If I get windows 10 insider app for my Lumia 1520, will I get official release automatically when it comes out or I need to revert back to 8.1 and then upgrade?
Can experts help me in this?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
my phone won't reboot after making selection on Insider, I am doing fresh install from win 8, any suggestions ?

Is the phone in a boot loop? Can you feel it vibrate before it fails to boot? Are you getting the sad face?? If you plug into a PC does the PC chime for connection, then chime again like a disconnect? Rather than go through the hard reset key procedure, try WDRT.

Lots of questions I know, but a phone can be recovered a lot of the time. Have you got Windows Device Recovery Tool? If you have a Lumia this can save the day. Make sure you download it from Microsoft, not anywhere else.

Before you go with WDRT, put phone on charge for a while, otherwise WDRT won't proceed.

Open WDRT. If it doesn't see your phone, click on device not found. If phone is in bootloop, and it is power cycling, ( chimes on PC ) WDRT will pick up the BIOS and then reinstall win 8.

Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire