Guide: How to install W10M Insider Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
What I mean is ..... I installed Windows Insider, when I enroll in slow/fast etc, the phone usually goes into configuration, then the phone reboots itself (meaning it's ready for Insider) This time the phone doesn't auto reboot ...... But the phone is still working, I just don't think Insider has registered

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
What I mean is ..... I installed Windows Insider, when I enroll in slow/fast etc, the phone usually goes into configuration, then the phone reboots itself (meaning it's ready for Insider) This time the phone doesn't auto reboot ...... But the phone is still working, I just don't think Insider has registered

Simply check for updates, not always phone reboots after a ring change

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Oh, I get you now. Did you go to insider release preview? I've noticed that that one doesn't reboot, I think the production one doesn't reboot either. If you've been on fast etc, then the phone needs to reboot for installation or configuration. .164 is the latest so check if you are already on it.

kbanes

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
funnypharmacist and Davod Bradec

Guys, I had this same problem.

I bought a 640 yesterday, just to see if it was worth it to leave my Note 4.

I played around with the phone, loaded some apps, just trying to get a feel for it.

I then downloaded the windows insider app and started the upgrade. It got about 90% complete, and failed, saying that there was a problem with the sd card. (It was almost empty, but I had verified it was working prior to running Windows Insider. I did nothing to try to get the update to load on the sd card.)

I did a hard reset on the phone and then tried to download the update again. At that point, I got the same server error that you are getting, mentioning the date/time error.

Over the past 24 hours, I have done about 6 hard resets, trying different things. (no sd card. no sim card. Not allowing any of the auto software updates that occur after a hard reset.

What finally worked for me was to download Windows Download Recovery Tool to my desktop computer. I loaded it up and plugged my phone into the computer. It recognized the phone and gave me an option to reinstall my software (8.1)

To be fair, the first two times that I tried this using WDRT, it failed, saying that it couldn't update my device. On the third attempt, it was successful doing the reload.

At that point, it went through the normal reset process. When it completed, I downloaded Windows Insider. It started normally, and let me pick the fast track.

I then went and checked for an upgrade in the Settings screen, and an OS upgrade is downloading. The download is at 74% as I type this.

I have no idea if it will eventually work, but I did get around the server error, so maybe you can, also.

I will update when mine is either successful or unsuccessful.

Good luck.

kbanes

FYI - the download and installation finished last night, after what seemed like a couple of hours, but probably just over an hour. Win 10 is a vast improvement over 8.1, but is a little slow on this processor. But I expected that going in.

Now I just have to use it for a week or so to see if it workable for me. I haven't found a decent ebook reader yet. I can live with the work around for Google Music. Not being able to deposit checks is a hindrance.

I suspect that i will give Microsoft 4 or 5 months to see if the app situation is improved, then spring for a 950xl, or whatever the flagship is at that time.

Good Luck guys.

kbanes

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I had wm10 running on my lumia 1320 until I rolled back and now with window insider I cant install wm10. Is there something I am missing. I have done a full install of win 8.1 and windows insider it registers but no update to wm10 Any suggestions would be welcome.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I had wm10 running on my lumia 1320 until I rolled back and now with window insider I cant install wm10. Is there something I am missing. I have done a full install of win 8.1 and windows insider it registers but no update to wm10 Any suggestions would be welcome.

You missed one month ago the official news abpout Insider Release Preview deprecating Windows 10 threshold for the new Redstone, so all older uneligible phones were kicked off.
Only way for you is the registry hack for acting your phone as a different eligible model.... e.g. a 1520
Go to Hacking and developer forum for full instruction

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
You missed one month ago the official news abpout Insider Release Preview deprecating Windows 10 threshold for the new Redstone, so all older uneligible phones were kicked off.
Only way for you is the registry hack for acting your phone as a different eligible model.... e.g. a 1520
Go to Hacking and developer forum for full instruction

thank you

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Bought a lumia 650. Yesterday installed the anniversary update and now I want to enroll for insider preview.
Searched for how to do that and found that I first must install Windows Insider app. But that is not needed anymore, the app displays that the functionality has been moved to Settings app with a link to the settingspage of the WIndows Insider program.

My account was already linked, did enjoy insider previews on my previous lumia 820.
So hit the get started button. Then a loading message is displayed and after a while a page is displayed "Get insider preview builds".
Some text on it and 2 links (privacy statement and program terms).

But no buttons to continue getting the insider preview.

Anyone?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Bought a lumia 650. Yesterday installed the anniversary update and now I want to enroll for insider preview.
Searched for how to do that and found that I first must install Windows Insider app. But that is not needed anymore, the app displays that the functionality has been moved to Settings app with a link to the settingspage of the WIndows Insider program.

My account was already linked, did enjoy insider previews on my previous lumia 820.
So hit the get started button. Then a loading message is displayed and after a while a page is displayed "Get insider preview builds".
Some text on it and 2 links (privacy statement and program terms).

But no buttons to continue getting the insider preview.

Anyone?
Scroll down and tap on Continue or Accept

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Scroll down and tap on Continue or Accept

I tried scrolling (swiping from left to right and back, and from top to bottom and back) but no buttons.
Can't try again because now when I hit the get started button is constantly displaying the message that I'm not connected to internet. But I am, all other apps needed internet are working.

[update]
Button working again, but no scrolling available to buttons

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I tried scrolling (swiping from left to right and back, and from top to bottom and back) but no buttons.
Can't try again because now when I hit the get started button is constantly displaying the message that I'm not connected to internet. But I am, all other apps needed internet are working.

[update]
Button working again, but no scrolling available to buttons

Reboot your phone and retry, should see a scroll down button Choose your Ring

pratikgurlani

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought 640 XL non LTE version yesterday. Updated from 8.1 to W10m 10586.107 to anniversary update successfuly. No issues occurred at all. Now I want to enroll to Insiders. so downloaded "Windows insider" app from store. Then it said this featured have been moved into "Settings". My account was already linked as I used insider builds on L720. But when i click "Get started" in settings>Windows insider programme on 640XL, Loading screen shows up with dots rolling and message "This wont take long". But then it says "Connect to the internet" and says "Your phone isnt connected to the internet" even when i am using internet on edge googling and downloading apps from store which works fine. I've tried with 3G network but same msg appears. No idea about this issue. Please help. No Hard Resets please.

Edit: Ok what worked for me is I just unlinked my microsoft account and relinked again ( while relinking it showed me two options one of which had my profile picture for outlook account and other was titled "Microsoft account" and has regular 4 colored window pic. I chose the former one). Issue solved. I was able to get enrolled and downloading 14393.82 right now.

Last edited:

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately not the solution for me. Neither is a restart of my phone.
Maybe it is disrupted by my previous enrollment on my lumia 820 which stopped updating when official w10 mobile was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb