The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-14-2015 01:38 AM
64 123
tools
    While I agree this is too early, the system worked fine for me except for pairing to my Band that didn't work. That was a deal breaker. I could deal with the mess of fonts and scaling, I knew those would be the last to get some polish.

But, they should've made sure functions work for everyday tasks. The UI is what's subjective and what's important for feedback, but not at the cost of being able to use your phone.

I really hope they quash the bugs in this release soon because it's still usable to me as my daily driver. I don't care about UI as much now, but communications like bluetooth have got to work.
    DaveGx likes this.
    04-12-2015 12:35 PM
    While I agree this is too early, the system worked fine for me except for pairing to my Band that didn't work. That was a deal breaker. I could deal with the mess of fonts and scaling, I knew those would be the last to get some polish.

But, they should've made sure functions work for everyday tasks. The UI is what's subjective and what's important for feedback, but not at the cost of being able to use your phone.

I really hope they quash the bugs in this release soon because it's still usable to me as my daily driver. I don't care about UI as much now, but communications like bluetooth have got to work.
    You could not be more incorrect. It was stated quite clearly and vociferously that it was in fact NOT suitable for every day. To then have that expectation is egregious on your part, not Microsoft's.

And the title of this thread bothers me. Who said it is Alpha other than the OP? It is clearly Beta. Just because you don't like the functionality of it does not make it Alpha.

Software release life cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    04-12-2015 01:34 PM
    Several of the built-in apps have alpha status displayed.

But I think MS is heading away from the traditional SDLC with Win10. Interesting to see how it goes.
    04-12-2015 06:02 PM
    i have the current build on my daily driver. living dangerously. i know how to revert back to 8.1 if i need to.
    yes, i know it's on me if something happens. and i have back-up devices if i need them.
    i'm well aware of what may happen.
    04-12-2015 06:49 PM
    I'm not sure what more MS could have done for the folks who bricked their devices - there were multiple messages that it's unreleased, incomplete and may break hardware etc that people had to click to accept.

There does seem to have been a lot of people who ignored that. I suggest a USD50 enrollment fee may have been useful in elevating the quality of feedback they'll get.
    If they paid me $50 I might install it.
    04-12-2015 08:32 PM
    This must be a joke. OP forgot he had to manually download an App just to install this update. Its like he think it was pushed from his carrier OTA...
    TechAbstract and TheCudder like this.
    04-12-2015 08:35 PM
    If they paid me $50 I might install it.
    let us know when they make you that offer.
    04-12-2015 08:41 PM
    The entire situation just shows poor judgement on the part of MS. Any good that can come out of it will be overshadowed by the disaster that it is in its current condition. The average knuckle head will load this up on his or her daily driver even though there is a warning against it. It would be interesting to hear the debate amongst MS people prior to this release to the public. There had to be someone saying "This is a bad idea!"
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-12-2015 08:46 PM
    let us know when they make you that offer.
    Check's in the mail I'm sure.
    04-12-2015 08:48 PM
    Every article and website mentioning the preview especially the Microsoft one warns that the preview is unsuitable for daily use and has issues. If people choose to ignore that then that is their choice and they will regret it and needlessly complain. Others that may have a spare phone will enjoy getting a Preview of where Windows is headed on the phone and are thankful for the opportunity to give Microsoft feedback to help tune the features.
    04-12-2015 08:50 PM
    Microsoft has been releasing alpha builds to a select group of people for months now.... It's called people in the fast ring. If you want it to be more stable, pick the slow ring.
    Last edited by Jas00555; 04-12-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    04-12-2015 08:55 PM
    But on a positive note, this should slow down the "Its been 30 days, where is the next build?" complaints. Take all the time you fellows need, it's all good.
    04-12-2015 08:57 PM
    I have It on my daily phone, only problems I get are that some apps don't open BUT turning my phone off then on fixes that problem, it's stable enough for me and I like the way Microsoft is going, you haters out there calling them stupid should sit down and consider that maybe with everyone wanting something different then everyone else confuses them which is why they are doing this preview, if you download this then you have basically signed away your devices life if It breaks, not their fault only yours so stop being a bunch of five year olds and accept the stupidity you have brought on yourself for installing a incomplete software on your own device.
    mhatretush and prasath1234 like this.
    04-12-2015 08:59 PM
    Microsoft has been releasing alpha builds to people to a select group of people for months now.... It's called people in the fast ring. If you want it to be more stable, pick the slow ring.
    Sadly, people will install anything that's put in front of them.
    "Fast" and "Slow" were probably poor naming choices. I'd have gone for one of the following (feel free to add):
    Unstable/Risky
    Face/Murdoch
    Full English/Continental
    Party animal/Nervous Nellie
    Clarkson/May
    Scaramooch/Beelzebub
    Statham/Cage
    04-12-2015 09:05 PM
    On Friday when the servers were having issues, I read something about ' ... over 5000 pops ... '

My understanding was there are over 5000 different combinations of device / carrier / region customizations to contend with - and this may only be MS / Lumia devices. Testing that many configurations can be time / manpower consuming - add in the subset of apps on each device & that number (of different phones) boggles the mind. What I'm saying is my Lumia 1520-2 RM 940 is substantively different from anyone else's because of the combination of apps I've chosen to install.

Sooooo, long story short, MS has enlisted some of us to assist with the testing - because, it may have been their only option toward a relatively (ultimately) clean release. With the debacle of this alpha release (my contention as a software Dev, since it does not include the full feature set), they now have to sort thru the credible comments reported by testers. Some have simply chosen not to Hard Reset their device (on an early report of bricking your phone) which may remediate some of the issues. and, some have just chosen to castigate MS for releasing this and ' ... forcing them to upgrade ... ' - that had me smh.

Gabe Aul has my sympathies, sounds like a daunting task.
    hotphil and RumoredNow like this.
    04-12-2015 09:14 PM
    With all the hoops one has to go through to get the TP, I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone can be complaining. It's not like we don't have threads dedicated to the TP and the associated issues. Microsoft certainly did not hold a gun to anybody's head to install the TP. It's not like installing is as simple as pressing one button. If you have TP, it was a willful decision to do so and every warning was ignored.
    Sent from my Slime Green Lumia 1520
    04-12-2015 09:18 PM
    So that folks like myself could examine features and give Microsoft my vote on what is useful, what has improved, or what was better left alone.

I expected instability (though an initial failure to wakeup from screen saber mode surprised me)... so I played in the sandbox over the weekend...

Had some show stopper issues, but fixed them with a simple Phone RESET (not OS reload)... and then a restore of a Backup. Extremely stable now. Had I found it too unstable to use, I would have gone forward with my plan to Recover to Windows Phone 8.1. However, it's stable enough to be useful now, so I'll continue to keep it on my phone and provide meaningful feedback on apps and features...

I'm withholding the 'stability of the build' comments... as I understand this tech preview is only to show case new features and to give us a general idea of how Windows 10 will look and work....
    04-12-2015 10:14 PM
    So that folks like myself could examine features and give Microsoft my vote on what is useful, what has improved, or what was better left alone.

I expected instability (though an initial failure to wakeup from screen saber mode surprised me)... so I played in the sandbox over the weekend...

Had some show stopper issues, but fixed them with a simple Phone RESET (not OS reload)... and then a restore of a Backup. Extremely stable now. Had I found it too unstable to use, I would have gone forward with my plan to Recover to Windows Phone 8.1. However, it's stable enough to be useful now, so I'll continue to keep it on my phone and provide meaningful feedback on apps and features...

I'm withholding the 'stability of the build' comments... as I understand this tech preview is only to show case new features and to give us a general idea of how Windows 10 will look and work....
    Mister, you have some nerve to come on here and post a rational thought like that. I'm gonna keep an eye on you and make sure you don't start rocking the boat and injecting sanity on these boards.

Excellent job, looking forward to more.
    04-12-2015 10:58 PM
    I think I've underestimated how easy it is for people to confuse "help shape Windows 10" (Features) vs "help fix Windows 10 (bugs).

I always thought it was pretty clear that we were given this ability to use the Technical Preview in order for us to provide feedback on features and how the operating system functions, not so we can fix bugs in the operation system and become frustrated when a product that hasn't even finished being made isn't living up to our expectations.
    04-12-2015 11:05 PM
    Feedback App was non-functional on my Lumia 1020. I think MS gave plenty warning that the outcome might be bad. I'm so happy my 1020 rolled back to 8.1.
    fatclue_98 and prasath1234 like this.
    04-12-2015 11:51 PM
    Running both Windows 10 TP for desktop and phone as a primary device, apart from some pesky bugs, it's been a superb experience for me so far.
    For the phone part, yes it more unstable compared to my desktop one, but still doesn't affect my daily needs from either device. Keep releasing Microsoft, People gonna whine for almost anything. I suffered more problems using developer preview with 8.1 then on 10 TP, so that didn't mean developer preview should have been scrapped.
    I am loving the new features, and seriously can't go back to 8, feels more limiting now although stable, win8 is boring for me now.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    04-13-2015 12:26 AM
    Bring back "Partition Stitching"! I never knew I had it so good! I may have to roll back, but am glad for the chance to try it out and to send feedback. I can't hang on for 50 days with this build in this kind of shape. But it remains a work in progress and I won't blame MS if they give us a chance at our own risk. Maybe they glean something from the feedback, even the rollbacks. I would rather see this kind of risky open responsiveness than to hang by my thumbs for months and then just taking a widely untested plunge.
    hotphil and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-13-2015 12:26 AM
    Microsoft has been releasing alpha builds to a select group of people for months now.... It's called people in the fast ring. If you want it to be more stable, pick the slow ring.
    They have? I've been in the fast ring for months and I got the first update yesterday. IMO the fast track should get the builds in a FAR faster pace, maybe once a week.
    04-13-2015 12:34 AM
    Some things are even hard to test to even report bugs. Photos app, worked in the.beginning, won't even open now, for example.

And yes, people were warned, and it wasn't shoved down anyone's throats. But MS Will now.have feedback clogged with complaints rather than just bug or improvement feedback. More nonsense to weed through
    Use the screen shot feature, volume down + power key takes a screenshot and launches the feedback on the preview for phones.

Sure, there are many that have filled the feedback inbox with "unnecessary" drudge but with-in that muck there is alot of wealth of information from which they derive what features should get implemented or refined. This by no means - a design-by-committee-product.

I'm not sure what more MS could have done for the folks who bricked their devices - there were multiple messages that it's unreleased, incomplete and may break hardware etc that people had to click to accept.

There does seem to have been a lot of people who ignored that. I suggest a USD50 enrollment fee may have been useful in elevating the quality of feedback they'll get.
    I respectively disagree, by charging a fee for entry - gives a person the sense of entitlement to a refund or reimbursement of their loss.

Also charging a fee such as $50 is a great barrier to entry for some and to state that will increase the quality of the feedback is just silly lol. That is like saying people who can't afford to pay don't have the right to a say or are dumb. Talk about blind-side inequality... eash .

What about all the people who have more money than sense?
    They have better understanding right?

So under your proposal, people like myself would have no right to give feedback unless they saved and paid that access fee...
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 04-13-2015 at 03:32 AM.
    04-13-2015 03:11 AM
    They have? I've been in the fast ring for months and I got the first update yesterday.
    Correct. This was the second preview build released to some devices. It was released to more devices than the first one (which would probably be why it was the first one your device picked up). Not sure what the other poster is on about.
    Marco Nilsson likes this.
    04-13-2015 03:28 AM
64 123