[Caution] Do not change your msft password when on wp 10051!!!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I change my MS password regularly for good security practice.

So today, I did a double whammy - set 2-step verification which played hell on my desktop Outlook 2013 and also my phone since a generated "app password" takes the place of your regular password - but back to that later.

I also changed my Microsoft account password.

Now, I discovered that one little thing the Known Issues article failed to mention is that there is no more "Email and Accounts" function anywhere in settings (I looked) so guess what - no way to change your phone password to match your MS Account! Scary thing is their engineers have no idea what's going on either:

Windows Phone Technical Preview Build 10051 - How do I change my - Microsoft Community

Everything was screwed up - phone updates, Store, Music - surprisingly I could still make phone calls and run the internet at least.

I ended up resetting my phone and this brought back phone update and store, but even after resetting everything, reformatting my SD Card and going through a bunch of steps, I keep getting the dreaded "Can't Fetch Rights" notification when I attempt to download any music on my Xbox Music Pass account, including stuff I have paid for!

If you are running this latest WP Build, I strongly urge waiting for a future build that brings back 'Email & Accounts' or another means of changing the phone's account password.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I deactivated 2FA before installing the latest preview.
Then activated it again afterwards.
To my surprise, nothing complained. Not even Outlook, and everything else works as expected. Not sure about XBM, I haven't even launched it yet.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll avoid changing my main password!

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
The build has automatically signed me out of the microsoft account but surprisingly... Store mahila and other related things work ad they should except my connects are lost.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)