07-10-2015 10:42 AM
89 1234
tools
    To me, the iOS is a grid of icons. Android is a grid of icons with widgets. Windows Phone is a grid of icons and widgets getting it on and making awesome babies.

The pivots and stuff once you get past the home screen doesn't really matter... and really App parity is the #1 thing that matters and here's hoping with W10 we get more apps or I'm going to be stuck using this stupid iPhone forever. God I hate iOS.
    DCTF likes this.
    04-15-2015 01:53 PM
    For me at this stage, something is missing, every time I open setting from my start screen, something feels different, it is no longer that feeling of wow when I first used windows phone, I don't really know. Let's see what new builds offer and what full OS would look like. Long road ahead.
    nohra and prasath1234 like this.
    04-15-2015 01:55 PM
    IDK but I always had a feeling that MS and 3. Party devs didnt know what to do with classic Metro UX. Yeah, I understand flat design, but WP7, 8 and 8.1 are looking not only flat, but also shallow, and weightless. When you pass a start screen tiles and jump into the menu everything looks like eink. IDK, people doesn't want to have hi specs phones with bunch of empty space and some text on their screens. Accents are dull and ugly, choice of black and white background is also dull, endless scrolling is dull, horizontal swiping without knowing what screen comes next is dull so I think MS should to do something with UX eventually.
    Spectrum90 and prasath1234 like this.
    04-15-2015 03:19 PM
    ...every time I open setting from my start screen, something feels different, it is no longer that feeling of wow...
    One of the reasons may be that the WP10 Settings page doesn't give you any information about current settings, just a list of things that can be adjusted. It is as if the designers of the new Settings app ignored the idea of live tiles (i.e., surfacing content to users instead of making them go to it). Instead, I must tap each group, then tap an individual setting to see how things are configured. There's still time to fix this. I wasn't at all worried when I saw this in the first tech preview, but I am a bit dispirited that it's just as bad in the second preview. Fingers crossed...
    04-15-2015 03:48 PM
    Well *sigh* as much as I would kick and scream if the UI did go more Android, or even looked just like it, I would still stick with WP. Why? Because it isn't from Google or Apple.
    hotphil likes this.
    04-15-2015 04:02 PM
    One of the reasons may be that the WP10 Settings page doesn't give you any information about current settings, just a list of things that can be adjusted. It is as if the designers of the new Settings app ignored the idea of live tiles (i.e., surfacing content to users instead of making them go to it). Instead, I must tap each group, then tap an individual setting to see how things are configured. There's still time to fix this. I wasn't at all worried when I saw this in the first tech preview, but I am a bit dispirited that it's just as bad in the second preview. Fingers crossed...
    Settings was always the worst part of WP8, though. It's the best argument in the entire operating system for going for a smaller text size, just to cut the length of the settings list. It was ridiculous; I would forget what I'd scrolled past by the time I got to the bottom, then carefully scrolling back up thinking, "Alright, is there any chance the setting I'm looking for might be in HERE?". It's still got some problems on that score, but at least I can cast my eyes over that menu in one go.

Live tiles were a decent enough idea, but when you got enough of them flipping over continually (and three was uncomfortable, four was horrendous) then it became the opposite of what it was intended to be: a fresh-feeling antidote to the overdressed looks of old iOS and Android setups. The new WP10 is going into dangerous territory again, because the Start page design parameters lend themselves more easily to ugliness than to beauty.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-15-2015 04:13 PM
    I'm too late to the party. Can't catch up with everything that's going on here. But I also am disapointed in the way the UX is going.

Most of you have been mostly talkin' about usability. That has suffered, and it's really sad to see things going that way, but let's not forget the other part.

The other part is the design - how everything looks, beauty-wise.

Instead of going to something new and cool, things seem like they're going backwards (as someone said, back to Android from 2011). How do you mess things up that bad, and not ask yourself 'Where are we going with this'? I'll post a few pictures comparing what W10 is, and what it could have been, and even what is was and isn't going to be anymore.

The Clock app:

How it is going to be and how it was
    clock.jpgscreenshot-8-.png

Windows Phone options menu:

How it's going to be and how it was
    wp_ss_20150212_0025.pngwp_ss_20150416_0001.png

The Minimise/Maximise/Close buttons:

buttons2.pngcapture.png

And let's not forget the Action Center. I hoped it was only temporary when they introduced it in 8.1, that it still wasn't finished, that they'll work on it.
    Back then the toggles weren't so bad because there was only one row. But now, it looks REALLY bad. I mean, just look at that mess.
    windows-10-phone-action-center.jpg

They're going the wrong way, IMO, and I don't think they're looking back.
    nohra, JohnStrk, fluffyowl and 2 others like this.
    04-15-2015 06:03 PM
    Settings was always the worst part of WP8, though. It's the best argument in the entire operating system for going for a smaller text size...
    Settings was bad because it was long and unorganized, but not because of how each item appeared. In WP8 GDR2, Microsoft introduced settings sections (like the main items that we see in W10), but the individual items are listed right there on the page along under the section headings and with their current settings. W10, as it is now, requires going in and out of lots of pages to find something (i.e., users have to go looking for the data) while WP8 GDR2 surfaces the settings and makes it easy to navigate with a quick scroll or a tap on a heading to get to the jump list.

Live tiles were a decent enough idea, but when you got enough of them flipping over continually (and three was uncomfortable, four was horrendous) then it became the opposite of what it was intended to be
    I agree that flipping can be annoying and it's overused. Microsoft should offer a way to disable it. Until then, however, developers could show more restraint. We did for our big app.

To avoid annoying myself and our users, our app avoids flipping tiles for the most part. The app has 36 standard items that can be pinned as secondary tiles (things like announcements, grades, campus bus schedules, etc.). In addition, each students has 5-10 courses per semester -- each one of them can be pinned. The Maps+More section of the app provides information on 200-300 campus places, all of which can be pinned. Only one standard item flips (it's our "photo of the day," which flips to show the caption and photographer name). The 120+ merchants also flips, but only on occasion to let you know that a merchant will open or close in the next hour.
    DCTF likes this.
    04-15-2015 06:38 PM
    I actually don't mind the expanded action center. Cluttered, yes, but it could be far worse (hamburger buttons). Losing the permanent all settings is stupid though like losing the silence all button in the volume controls in 8.1.

The rest is garbage. Toggles need to die.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-15-2015 06:40 PM
    I'm too late to the party. Can't catch up with everything that's going on here. But I also am disapointed in the way the UX is going.

Most of you have been mostly talkin' about usability. That has suffered, and it's really sad to see things going that way, but let's not forget the other part.

The other part is the design - how everything looks, beauty-wise.

Instead of going to something new and cool, things seem like they're going backwards (as someone said, back to Android from 2011). How do you mess things up that bad, and not ask yourself 'Where are we going with this'? I'll post a few pictures comparing what W10 is, and what it could have been, and even what is was and isn't going to be anymore.

The Clock app:

How it is going to be and how it was

Windows Phone options menu:

The Minimise/Maximise/Close buttons:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttons2.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	949 Bytes 
ID:	102353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	102354

And let's not forget the Action Center. I hoped it was only temporary when they introduced it in 8.1, that it still wasn't finished, that they'll work on it.
    Back then the toggles weren't so bad because there was only one row. But now, it looks REALLY bad. I mean, just look at that mess.

They're going the wrong way, IMO, and I don't think they're looking back.
    "beauty-wise"
    Beauty-wise? Never heard that one before. Must be a slang term.like the word, conversate, re-DONK-ulous and tooken. lol. But seriously, it might be one of those things you'll not take to right away. Especially when you don't even know what the final look will be. I mean, how many concept posts does this board have on it? These may only be concepts of what will be in the final product. Personally, I dig the heck out of the direction. but then, my interest in any and all of these electronics is what they add to what I do. I have never had to depend on the interface on my phone to hook up with a woman. I mean seriously, who does that? If my smart phone can enhance my commute time to and from places, get me to a good restaurant, let me know what my investments look like, its going in the right direction. aka Cortana. I could care less trying to impress some dude with my phones interface, beauty-wise or otherwise. That is simply, ahh, re-DONK-ulous.
    04-15-2015 07:03 PM
    I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want myself to feel comfortable while using the phone.
    Why use something ugly, when you can use something that looks nice?

Oh and yeah, I can't even remember how many times have I heard the 'It's not final, they're going to change it'.
    And you know what? I think it's not true. Unless the whole internet turns against Microsoft and spams the Uservoice/Feedback, they won't change anything.
    No matter how many times have users said they're not impressed by the hamburger and other ideas that MS is forcing on us, they keep doing it over and over.
    And by the looks of it, these aren't placeholders. They're nearly finished design solutions. So I don't think MS will just scrap that all in a few months and say 'OK guys, what do you want?', they'll just finish what they had in mind and ship it.
    Kram Sacul, nohra and Snowy Nokia like this.
    04-15-2015 07:28 PM
    I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want myself to feel comfortable while using the phone.
    Why use something ugly, when you can use something that looks nice?

Oh and yeah, I can't even remember how many times have I heard the 'It's not final, they're going to change it'.
    And you know what? I think it's not true. Unless the whole internet turns against Microsoft and spams the Uservoice/Feedback, they won't change anything.
    No matter how many times have users said they're not impressed by the hamburger and other ideas that MS is forcing on us, they keep doing it over and over.
    And by the looks of it, these aren't placeholders. They're nearly finished design solutions. So I don't think MS will just scrap that all in a few months and say 'OK guys, what do you want?', they'll just finish what they had in mind and ship it.
    Hard to believe otherwise Ma Rio. Bottom line to any of this is the apps you run and the information made available. That's it. At the end of the day, the phone is either talking to facebook, twitter, snapchat (whenever it gets here) or on the charging stand. Nobody is splitting atoms or looking for prime numbers on their phone. Important stuff is done on the desktop. You can go with this beauty with its live tiles and Cortana, get a phone covered in flat dots, aka Iphone or play suzi make-up on an android device. Its all about you.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-15-2015 07:45 PM
    Bring the tablet experience to the desktop was a fail in windows 8... bring the desktop experience to mobile device will be a fail too.
    FinancialP and Kram Sacul like this.
    04-15-2015 07:58 PM
    Important stuff is done on the desktop.
    Bingo!

Now for the bonus question, will the work you created on your desktop follow you to your phone?
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-15-2015 07:59 PM
    Bring the tablet experience to the desktop was a fail in windows 8... bring the desktop experience to mobile device will be a fail too.
    The fail was change in itself. People weren't ready to consider a new approach to interaction with their devices. And in their rush to hate on MS, tech journalists ran around proclaiming the end of the world. Haters gonna hate, and their sermons gained momentum.
    The Modern UI MS brought wasn't cobbled together on a Friday afternoon, it was a well-thought out affair.
    Now in a vain effort to please everybody, all of the time, on any device, they're experimenting with other stuff. But if customers don't want to embrace change they may as well sit back on the bench.
    nohra, DCTF and prasath1234 like this.
    04-15-2015 08:11 PM
    The fail was change in itself. People weren't ready to consider a new approach to interaction with their devices. And in their rush to hate on MS, tech journalists ran around proclaiming the end of the world. Haters gonna hate, and their sermons gained momentum.
    The Modern UI MS brought wasn't cobbled together on a Friday afternoon, it was a well-thought out affair.
    Now in a vain effort to please everybody, all of the time, on any device, they're experimenting with other stuff. But if customers don't want to embrace change they may as well sit back on the bench.
    I only wished that those in this ecosystem had more of a spine and show that passion about the house they live in. I don't know of a platform better suited and better prepared to do what those in this ecosystem than this one. But it seems the passion in the platform is being outmatched by crybabies, whiners, failures and trolls.
    04-15-2015 08:33 PM
    Bingo!

Now for the bonus question, will the work you created on your desktop follow you to your phone?
    No more than what I can carry today in a document or view in an image or video. To me, desktop work is NOT what a smart phone is designed for. It can perform some of the functions that happen on the desktop, but it cannot be the desktop like the Moto Droid Lapdock 100.
    mot_droid_lapdock.jpg
    04-15-2015 09:10 PM
    My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and she says the UI on Windows Phone is easier to use than on android. She also hates the bloatware and malware that is added into the phone. So starting from next week, she will be using a Lumia 830 or a Lumia 1020.
    JohnStrk, nohra and prasath1234 like this.
    04-15-2015 09:23 PM
    My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and she says the UI on Windows Phone is easier to use than on android. She also hates the bloatware and malware that is added into the phone. So starting from next week, she will be using a Lumia 830 or a Lumia 1020.
    Go for the 830. It's newer, thinner, lighter, SD card, wireless charging built in, bigger display, and fantastic battery life!
    nohra and DCTF like this.
    04-15-2015 09:55 PM
    No more than what I can carry today in a document or view in an image or video. To me, desktop work is NOT what a smart phone is designed for. It can perform some of the functions that happen on the desktop, but it cannot be the desktop like the Moto Droid Lapdock 100.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mot_droid_lapdock.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	102373
    Not exactly what I meant. BTW, I had one of those with the Atrix. What I was referring to was, as you mentioned, documents and PDF markups. Stuff of that nature. I'm on the road quite a bit so I don't cherish composing on ANY smartphone. Editing is fine when you meet with others and small changes need to be made. Banging out emails and texts is also tolerable. But I prefer to let the laptop do the heavy lifting and know that the work follows me. OneDrive is great, but there are times when internet service is nonexistent, which is why I need to have USB Mass Storage or USB on-the-go. When I'm done on the lappy, a quick drag of the mouse and it's in my phone.

Let's be clear. I do not endorse taking work home under any circumstances. It's not good for your health and the Surgeon General needs to put a label on every computer.
    Laura Knotek and Jazmac like this.
    04-16-2015 09:54 AM
    I like their current work.
    04-16-2015 01:38 PM
    04-18-2015 08:32 PM
    https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...re-suggestions

Please give votes :) At least we can try
    Been a while since I read through some of those. A good few are hilarious.
    04-18-2015 09:21 PM
    And seriously if it won't change and if Microsoft won't try harder and be creative I will just go back to Android.. Why? It will look the same - actually better and I can still enjoy all their Apps there + bunch of other Microsoft apps that are not even present on WP.. I still own a tablet with Android Lolipop so yeah. I don't like to say things like this, but what are they paying designers for? Copying? Or maybe Actually they don't even have free hands..
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-18-2015 09:39 PM
    Been a while since I read through some of those. A good few are hilarious.
    Yep. That sure is a place to lighten our heart, if we want a good laugh.

From the posts, we can clearly see that most of the posts are from users of other OS (not WP).
    04-18-2015 11:53 PM
89 1234