The UI problem with Windows 10 for Phones

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want myself to feel comfortable while using the phone.
Why use something ugly, when you can use something that looks nice?

Oh and yeah, I can't even remember how many times have I heard the 'It's not final, they're going to change it'.
And you know what? I think it's not true. Unless the whole internet turns against Microsoft and spams the Uservoice/Feedback, they won't change anything.
No matter how many times have users said they're not impressed by the hamburger and other ideas that MS is forcing on us, they keep doing it over and over.
And by the looks of it, these aren't placeholders. They're nearly finished design solutions. So I don't think MS will just scrap that all in a few months and say 'OK guys, what do you want?', they'll just finish what they had in mind and ship it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want myself to feel comfortable while using the phone.
Why use something ugly, when you can use something that looks nice?

Oh and yeah, I can't even remember how many times have I heard the 'It's not final, they're going to change it'.
And you know what? I think it's not true. Unless the whole internet turns against Microsoft and spams the Uservoice/Feedback, they won't change anything.
No matter how many times have users said they're not impressed by the hamburger and other ideas that MS is forcing on us, they keep doing it over and over.
And by the looks of it, these aren't placeholders. They're nearly finished design solutions. So I don't think MS will just scrap that all in a few months and say 'OK guys, what do you want?', they'll just finish what they had in mind and ship it.

Hard to believe otherwise Ma Rio. Bottom line to any of this is the apps you run and the information made available. That's it. At the end of the day, the phone is either talking to facebook, twitter, snapchat (whenever it gets here) or on the charging stand. Nobody is splitting atoms or looking for prime numbers on their phone. Important stuff is done on the desktop. You can go with this beauty with its live tiles and Cortana, get a phone covered in flat dots, aka Iphone or play suzi make-up on an android device. Its all about you.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Bring the tablet experience to the desktop was a fail in windows 8... bring the desktop experience to mobile device will be a fail too.
The fail was change in itself. People weren't ready to consider a new approach to interaction with their devices. And in their rush to hate on MS, tech journalists ran around proclaiming the end of the world. Haters gonna hate, and their sermons gained momentum.
The Modern UI MS brought wasn't cobbled together on a Friday afternoon, it was a well-thought out affair.
Now in a vain effort to please everybody, all of the time, on any device, they're experimenting with other stuff. But if customers don't want to embrace change they may as well sit back on the bench.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The fail was change in itself. People weren't ready to consider a new approach to interaction with their devices. And in their rush to hate on MS, tech journalists ran around proclaiming the end of the world. Haters gonna hate, and their sermons gained momentum.
The Modern UI MS brought wasn't cobbled together on a Friday afternoon, it was a well-thought out affair.
Now in a vain effort to please everybody, all of the time, on any device, they're experimenting with other stuff. But if customers don't want to embrace change they may as well sit back on the bench.

I only wished that those in this ecosystem had more of a spine and show that passion about the house they live in. I don't know of a platform better suited and better prepared to do what those in this ecosystem than this one. But it seems the passion in the platform is being outmatched by crybabies, whiners, failures and trolls.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Bingo!

Now for the bonus question, will the work you created on your desktop follow you to your phone?

No more than what I can carry today in a document or view in an image or video. To me, desktop work is NOT what a smart phone is designed for. It can perform some of the functions that happen on the desktop, but it cannot be the desktop like the Moto Droid Lapdock 100.
mot_droid_lapdock.jpg

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and she says the UI on Windows Phone is easier to use than on android. She also hates the bloatware and malware that is added into the phone. So starting from next week, she will be using a Lumia 830 or a Lumia 1020.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and she says the UI on Windows Phone is easier to use than on android. She also hates the bloatware and malware that is added into the phone. So starting from next week, she will be using a Lumia 830 or a Lumia 1020.

Go for the 830. It's newer, thinner, lighter, SD card, wireless charging built in, bigger display, and fantastic battery life!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No more than what I can carry today in a document or view in an image or video. To me, desktop work is NOT what a smart phone is designed for. It can perform some of the functions that happen on the desktop, but it cannot be the desktop like the Moto Droid Lapdock 100.
View attachment 102373

Not exactly what I meant. BTW, I had one of those with the Atrix. What I was referring to was, as you mentioned, documents and PDF markups. Stuff of that nature. I'm on the road quite a bit so I don't cherish composing on ANY smartphone. Editing is fine when you meet with others and small changes need to be made. Banging out emails and texts is also tolerable. But I prefer to let the laptop do the heavy lifting and know that the work follows me. OneDrive is great, but there are times when internet service is nonexistent, which is why I need to have USB Mass Storage or USB on-the-go. When I'm done on the lappy, a quick drag of the mouse and it's in my phone.

Let's be clear. I do not endorse taking work home under any circumstances. It's not good for your health and the Surgeon General needs to put a label on every computer.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And seriously if it won't change and if Microsoft won't try harder and be creative I will just go back to Android.. Why? It will look the same - actually better and I can still enjoy all their Apps there + bunch of other Microsoft apps that are not even present on WP.. I still own a tablet with Android Lolipop so yeah. I don't like to say things like this, but what are they paying designers for? Copying? Or maybe Actually they don't even have free hands..

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Been a while since I read through some of those. A good few are hilarious.

Yep. That sure is a place to lighten our heart, if we want a good laugh.

From the posts, we can clearly see that most of the posts are from users of other OS (not WP).

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It will be so funny when Google invents new hamburgerless Material design.. It's already happening though.. They use pivots on some apps ..

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The point of designing is to look forward, think out the possibilities, fix ALL the issues, create something new and then make it happen in reality.

Wish all had professors like that.. Seems like Microsoft needs some motivation to think with their heads

They achieved that with "Modern". I just expected them to improve it, maybe make the titles smaller, change UI elements, different fonts, add some life to it - colors, maybe add more transparency across the entire phone like in Windows for PC.. Add a freaking color wheel !!!!!, changing colors depending on the wallpaper like on W8 ..
And to be honest all I ever wanted in mobile word is a freaking Windows phone with real Windows or at least looks. When I tell people I have Windows phone they go crazy "Omg really, a Windows phone?!" Then I show them and get "What the @#$& are these tiles", "What there is no wallpaper?!", "Tiles look fugly", "So it's not a Windows phone", "Looks too minimalistic", "There's no color", .. That's just the normal stuff..
I'd like to see a mixure of Windows for PC looks and Tiles.. My dreams.. How would it look on small screen? Just like every other mobile device works today.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I shall question people around me and then write the responses down here. This is where the designers should build from. It's all about fixing issues and making something work better in any way :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte