Lumia 920 WP10 TP graphical rendering (keyboard, startscreen, notification center)

kareem09

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Im on fast ring w10 tp on lumia 920.
I hardly ever get a fully rendered start screen, keyboard, bottom bar (send, next, end call, hold etc etc), notification center. Basically all UI/interactive elements in this build have been wacky for me. I basically am typing blind, answering the phone blind sometimes etc, guessing where the keys are and pressing that area and stuff actually happens so they are there just not rendering on the screen.
I've done two hard resets so far for other reasons which actually resolved those issues but this was consistently there every instance.

Im wondering if any others (920 or otherwise) have experienced this. Maybe its my own phone with hardware beginning to deteriorate who knows. I dont intend to go back to win 8.1 if i dont have to since im having quite a good time testing different things and I am fully aware that its an early build so thats fine (in case you came specifically to say that). Just curious if others experienced it.

thanks

weaksauce27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues with my 920 on Win10TP besides some missing core apps and functionality. Navigating is smooth but a few non core apps takes awhile to load but that's about it.

kareem09

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I have no issues with my 920 on Win10TP besides some missing core apps and functionality. Navigating is smooth but a few non core apps takes awhile to load but that's about it.

can I ask if u did a straight update (keeping data backup and settings) or hard resets/clean starts?

I also had a slight graphically bug but only in a couple third party apps when I was on win 8.1 so maybe its something specific to my device

weaksauce27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did a straight update (keeping data backup and settings.) No hard reset on my end. Did some searching on forums here and saw that some people were having more issues after doing a hard reset.

Topherious

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my 920 to W10 tp and using it as my daily driver and am not having any major issues and no UI glitches like you mention. It is a bit slow at times and gets stuck on resuming the start screen occasionally and I have to restart every 1-2 days as all apps hang on "loading" but overall I'm enjoying the experience so no plans to roll back to 8.1 at this stage

Fluxcored

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thought it was just me as well.

Lumia 920 Yellow AT&T; I've had it since the release.

OS version: 10.0.12534.56
Firmware revision number: 3051.50009.1425.2001
Hardware revision number: 6.0.0.0
Radio software version: 1.0.202184.3
Chip SOC version: 8960

I first noticed the glitching when upgrading from 8.1. I tried hard reset. No change. I flashed and wiped it with Windows Recovery Tool, then upgraded. No change. Hard reset. No change. Finally I rolled back to 8.1 because the TP was effectively unusable for me. 8.1 is smooth sailing as always, no sign of the issues experienced with 10.

Symptoms included:

Typing on any keyboard in apps/sms the characters disappeared or the background "keys" disappeared. At the same time the auto correct previews disappeared. I could not tell what I was typing until i hit send. Disabling auto correct had no effect. Alternate keyboards had no effect.

Notifications caused the UI to disappear and re-render - what I would describe as flickering. Tap and hold at the task switcher/lock screen caused the same flickering. Navigating settings crashed to tiles, IE crashed to tiles, Spartan crashed to tiles.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
hmm, I have some rendering issues on my 1520, but nothing severe, worst I tend to get is an incomplete call answering screen and discolored lines along the edges of some screens (most notably the edge of the notification center) keyboard and everything is perfectly intact.Mmy 925 seems to render everything perfectly fine!

kareem09

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Thought it was just me as well.

Lumia 920 Yellow AT&T; I've had it since the release.

OS version: 10.0.12534.56
Firmware revision number: 3051.50009.1425.2001
Hardware revision number: 6.0.0.0
Radio software version: 1.0.202184.3
Chip SOC version: 8960

I first noticed the glitching when upgrading from 8.1. I tried hard reset. No change. I flashed and wiped it with Windows Recovery Tool, then upgraded. No change. Hard reset. No change. Finally I rolled back to 8.1 because the TP was effectively unusable for me. 8.1 is smooth sailing as always, no sign of the issues experienced with 10.

Symptoms included:

Typing on any keyboard in apps/sms the characters disappeared or the background "keys" disappeared. At the same time the auto correct previews disappeared. I could not tell what I was typing until i hit send. Disabling auto correct had no effect. Alternate keyboards had no effect.

Notifications caused the UI to disappear and re-render - what I would describe as flickering. Tap and hold at the task switcher/lock screen caused the same flickering. Navigating settings crashed to tiles, IE crashed to tiles, Spartan crashed to tiles.

Thanks fluxcored. You were much more descriptive than I :D but yea I have the same att 920 from launch and did see minor signs of it in 8.1 but your described symptoms are exactly the same. I don't want to go back to 8.1 im basically using muscle memory to type lol. what I did is minimize the keyboard or sometimes toggle between letters and numbers and it gets better but def is a pain. I would say its unsuable for sure but I wouldn't call myself a power user mostly phone calls and whatsapp and a few other apps.

maybe another update of the TP will fix it! Or maybe someone found a solution??

kareem09

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I did a straight update (keeping data backup and settings.) No hard reset on my end. Did some searching on forums here and saw that some people were having more issues after doing a hard reset.

thanks. Ive done three hard resets so far lol and they fixed several problems. my TP experience has improved several times. maybe it doesn't for everyone.

I did a clean hard reset this time but rendering problems still. Im thinking it might a device defect since there were also small glimpses of it in 8.1 and I couldn't search it as a popular/known issue.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
thanks. Ive done three hard resets so far lol and they fixed several problems. my TP experience has improved several times. maybe it doesn't for everyone.

I did a clean hard reset this time but rendering problems still. Im thinking it might a device defect since there were also small glimpses of it in 8.1 and I couldn't search it as a popular/known issue.
No issues for me visually, just the everyday app crashing etc etc. It could be your hardware then, try messing around in settings and see if you can get your problems to become a bit better.

kareem09

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Svaethier
thing is the problem is in so many aspects of the UI and WP settings are so limited. I tried what i could (combinations of display, brightness, touch sensitivity etc).

I am not convinced it is hardware issue just yet since it only happens on interactive objects (keyboard, buttons, notifications, call answering) everything else in wp8.1 and now 10tp has been rendering great. so maybe a software issue but after clean hard reset who knows. i give up :p

will post an update if things change as new builds release

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Svaethier
thing is the problem is in so many aspects of the UI and WP settings are so limited. I tried what i could (combinations of display, brightness, touch sensitivity etc).

I am not convinced it is hardware issue just yet since it only happens on interactive objects (keyboard, buttons, notifications, call answering) everything else in wp8.1 and now 10tp has been rendering great. so maybe a software issue but after clean hard reset who knows. i give up :p

will post an update if things change as new builds release
Clean hard reset without using any backups sounds like a good idea for you.

Brian Tangney

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. Tried win10TP when it first came out on windows insider for the 920 and it was very buggy. Went back to 8.1 and now I decided to try 10 again to see if any of the bugs had been worked out and it is still basically just as buggy for me. Has all the symptoms you mentioned. Will probably have to got back to 8.1 again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077