05-21-2015 10:01 PM
81 1234
tools
    I wouldn't mind that if I hold my phone landscape, it would rotate landscape. The background image if you just choose a square one, then it might keep fitting ok.

I always thought it but never really complained about it either.
    04-20-2015 08:44 AM
    I almost never use an iPhone, but when I do, I jailbreak it and install a landscape home screen tweak.

I am... hardly the most interesting man in the universe.
    anon(9226130) and rhapdog like this.
    04-20-2015 09:41 AM
    I think that landscape mode will give desktop feel. I like windows metro style start screen. Which I want on my mobile as well very badly. It would be best lookwish. What say guys?
    04-20-2015 10:44 AM
    I believe iOS has it for big devices like 6+
    And android can do it with third part launchers too
    rhapdog likes this.
    04-20-2015 11:27 AM
    04-20-2015 11:32 AM
    Hell yeah.
    rhapdog and anon(9226130) like this.
    04-20-2015 11:42 AM
    I think it depends on how it's implemented, and at the moment, without the titles changing arrangement, I can't think of a good way for it to work.

I'm welcome at being wrong though. :)
    04-20-2015 11:49 AM
    Absolutely!!
    04-20-2015 11:52 AM
    Hmmm. Part of me wants to say "yes", but that's purely for aesthetic reasons. There have been so many times in recent days when I've looked for a good wallpaper image, only to find there's no way to get a good portrait crop out of it.
    Perhaps that's why Bing chooses the images they choose. There is always a good portrait crop out of the Bing images on the Bing Homepage Gallery. I always get a good portrait for my phone, and a landscape for my laptop.

I've got to say "no", though. Aside from watching video, everything else I do with the phone is based around portrait. Landscape web browsing is not pleasant on a mobile.
    Landscape web browsing is what I do most of the time. Easier to type and easier to read due to larger view area and not having to pan left and right to read full lines of text.
    Yeah, I'm with Praxius on this one. The text is already so small on a phone, that rotating it to landscape gives bigger print to tread for me.
    Landscape is pretty much the only way I do browsing on a mobile. Nothing "not pleasant" about it for me. That's okay, everyone has their own way of doing things. One man's junk is another man's treasure and all that.

Indeed. Because what my mum wants when she picks up a new phone is 76 pages of Settings to review, with four subpages of each.
    There's a usability line that has to be drawn somewhere. Preferably not just off the bottom of the screen because someone decided landscape was a good idea.
    Get over yourself. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of others who do. I have a landscape kickstand on my phone, as many people do, because a lot of cases are sold that have a landscape kickstand on it. I don't use Xbox Music because it doesn't do landscape, so I've found a landscape alternative so that I can use it as a music player on my night stand. I also have a night stand clock program to make it like an old time LED clock. When I'm working at my desk, my phone usually sits in landscape mode on the kickstand on my desk.

I'm irritated that I can't do calls or start screen in landscape, while all the settings work in landscape as does text messages. It's like Microsoft got halfway through making an OS that can go either way and just stopped and said, "That's good enough." I say they should finish the job they started.

Its actually a smaller viewing area, but yes, is more similar to browsing on a pc etc
    However, a landscape Start screen comes with different interaction issues
    Apparently you can only see vertically. Much larger viewing area horizontally, and I read left to right. Works better for me.

...and with the death of the qwerty slider form factor there's simply no reason to have the home screen rotate.
    More options are always good but lets be sensible about this, realistically how many people would ACTUALLY use the start screen in landscape mode anyway.
    Well, people are voting for it in the uservoice. I've added my vote, and I would SO use it in landscape mode more than portrait mode. In addition to my phone sitting in landscape on my bedside table and on my desk while I work, it also sits in landscape mode on my dashboard in my car. Landscape mode is sorely needed. I'm tired of hurting my neck trying to read it.

Yeah, thanks for providing the link. Had already done that a little while back, but am glad to have it advertised for more people to add votes to.
    Shobin Drogan likes this.
    04-20-2015 12:31 PM
    04-20-2015 12:31 PM
    Should be most useful on phones with screen sizes over 5 inches
    04-20-2015 12:50 PM
    Yes, it would be a nice addition but, the action center would also have to support landscape orientation.
    04-20-2015 12:51 PM
    Does the Home screen on iOS and stock Android rotate?
    Umm...YES THEY DO...
    how many people would ACTUALLY use the start screen in landscape mode anyway.
    You don't know about this as much as me, the fact of the matter is that i would want to use my phone in landscape when im sitting at home or using my phone on a table, which im sure is part of many people's experience in everyday lives. When both your hands are free, having it in landscape is much more nicer to hold and easier to read more content than in portrait.
    rhapdog, Praxius and k72 like this.
    04-21-2015 12:37 AM
    Umm...YES THEY DO...

You don't know about this as much as me, the fact of the matter is that i would want to use my phone in landscape when im sitting at home or using my phone on a table, which im sure is part of many people's experience in everyday lives. When both your hands are free, having it in landscape is much more nicer to hold and easier to read more content than in portrait.
    The home screen on iOS only rotates on the latest version, iOS 8 and the launcher on STOCK Android doesn't rotate at all, note that I said STOCK and not with a third party or manufacturers launcher.

Reread my post, I didn't say that NO ONE uses their phone in landscape, I asked HOW MANY people WOULD use their phone in landscape!!!!!

Reread, comprehend, then comment!!!!
    04-21-2015 05:58 AM
    Reread my post, I didn't say that NO ONE uses their phone in landscape, I asked HOW MANY people WOULD use their phone in landscape!!!!!
    Yeah, but you worded it in a manner to insinuate that the number people would be small enough to be inconsequential. I happen to disagree, as I think, if available, many, many people would use it in landscape.
    04-21-2015 09:27 AM
    I almost never use an iPhone, but when I do, I jailbreak it and install a landscape home screen tweak.

I am... hardly the most interesting man in the universe.
    You are not alone, I'm interesting too. So lots of people around me don't like me, because I make things otherwise.
    04-21-2015 09:39 AM
    I support landscape mode on the phone. I mean Allllllll of my app use landscape and so does our phone setting. So why would you be against having landscape on the home screen ? If anything, it just gives you the flexibility of more options.
    And those who are saying many people wont people use it are just narrow sighted. I don't see anything wrong with having the option.
    k72 and rhapdog like this.
    04-21-2015 09:41 AM
    Make a thread there in microsoft user voice blog and post link here. Everyone please vote there I will be the first one to vote.
    04-21-2015 09:42 AM
    yes..
    04-21-2015 09:45 AM
    Who cares whether its stock or not? Android and IOS do support it, and thats what matters, only a matter of time till Google introduces it.
    Please tell me at what point in my comment did i say that you implied no one uses their phone in landscape? lmao
    Rage much?
    REREAD, COMPREHEND, THEN COMMENT. LOL
    04-21-2015 10:20 AM
    Does the Home screen on iOS and stock Android rotate?

I would say that having this on WP isn't going to appeal to many more people TBH and with the death of the qwerty slider form factor there's simply no reason to have the home screen rotate. More options are always good but lets be sensible about this, realistically how many people would ACTUALLY use the start screen in landscape mode anyway.
    Probably those who would buy a phone with a landscape qwerty keyboard :P, or the people who are so obsessed with running full applications when their phones are docked... I'm not against that idea, just the practical use in reality is much more limited than what they envisage.
    neo158 likes this.
    04-21-2015 10:24 AM
    04-21-2015 03:22 PM
    GOD YES!
    I have the phone mounted in car horizontally (navigation) and it sucks now. not even notification bar is oriented as it should be!
    rhapdog and Marquis de Faux like this.
    04-21-2015 04:19 PM
    GOD YES!
    I have the phone mounted in car horizontally (navigation) and it sucks now. not even notification bar is oriented as it should be!
    Yes, to me, when using for GPS navigation, landscape orientation is an absolute must. Phone screen and start screen need to follow suit.
    04-22-2015 08:20 AM
    That's ok .... I just want to get back my talking tom app back.. It's not showing in the list please help
    04-23-2015 02:53 AM
81 1234