Poll: Do you want landscape mode for home screen?

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
With landscape home screens, we should see a resurgence of landscape qwerty phones. The keyboard on the touch pro 2 was the best I ever used on a landscape qwerty, in the candy bar form factory blackberry keyboard was pretty darn good then closely followed by the E61 keyboard imo.

Windows phone needs to have more form factors than just the plain slab candy bar. With windows phone 7 they were on the right track just the landscape support was completely woeful (check out Adam Lein reviews for the Touch Pro 7 on pocket now)

That would be great if they brought in some phones with physical keyboards. I love the word flow keyboard because it is fast and easy to use, but sometimes it's just easier to have two handed thumb typing on real keys. When I had a Motorola Photon I typically used the swipe keyboards for most tasks, but depending on what I was doing, it was just so much easier to type on actual keys, especially if I was typing a lot; I could finish so much faster. Of course, being on Android, the keyboard had issues depending on what app I was in (looking at you, Chrome), but I think on a Windows phone it could be done really well. The only problem was even 2+ years ago when I got that one, it was hard to find a phone with a physical keyboard. But then again, phone trends seem to come and go, so maybe it will come back.

docholliday666

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm, well, we had it back in the Symbian days. So it's a downgrade for me right now with 8.1...and yes, landscape mode would be great - if they follow the Symbian method and let you position icons differently in each orientation.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I cant believe people actually say no to this, why would you NOT want more options even if you don't like it? I say yes, it will appeal to much more people.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If there were options for everything ever asked for in WP, can you imagine how long the Settings list would be?
I've never heard anyone say they don't like WP because the Start screen doesn't go landscape. It'll probably come though. Along with a deluge of "how do I stop my Start screen auto-rotating?" threads. Which is fine.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I cant believe people actually say no to this, why would you NOT want more options even if you don't like it? I say yes, it will appeal to much more people.

Does the Home screen on iOS and stock Android rotate?

I would say that having this on WP isn't going to appeal to many more people TBH and with the death of the qwerty slider form factor there's simply no reason to have the home screen rotate. More options are always good but lets be sensible about this, realistically how many people would ACTUALLY use the start screen in landscape mode anyway.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind that if I hold my phone landscape, it would rotate landscape. The background image if you just choose a square one, then it might keep fitting ok.

I always thought it but never really complained about it either.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I almost never use an iPhone, but when I do, I jailbreak it and install a landscape home screen tweak.

I am... hardly the most interesting man in the universe.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I think that landscape mode will give desktop feel. I like windows metro style start screen. Which I want on my mobile as well very badly. It would be best lookwish. What say guys?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on how it's implemented, and at the moment, without the titles changing arrangement, I can't think of a good way for it to work.

I'm welcome at being wrong though. :)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm. Part of me wants to say "yes", but that's purely for aesthetic reasons. There have been so many times in recent days when I've looked for a good wallpaper image, only to find there's no way to get a good portrait crop out of it.

Perhaps that's why Bing chooses the images they choose. There is always a good portrait crop out of the Bing images on the Bing Homepage Gallery. I always get a good portrait for my phone, and a landscape for my laptop.

I've got to say "no", though. Aside from watching video, everything else I do with the phone is based around portrait. Landscape web browsing is not pleasant on a mobile.
Landscape web browsing is what I do most of the time. Easier to type and easier to read due to larger view area and not having to pan left and right to read full lines of text.
Yeah, I'm with Praxius on this one. The text is already so small on a phone, that rotating it to landscape gives bigger print to tread for me.
Landscape is pretty much the only way I do browsing on a mobile. Nothing "not pleasant" about it for me. That's okay, everyone has their own way of doing things. One man's junk is another man's treasure and all that.

Indeed. Because what my mum wants when she picks up a new phone is 76 pages of Settings to review, with four subpages of each.
There's a usability line that has to be drawn somewhere. Preferably not just off the bottom of the screen because someone decided landscape was a good idea.
Get over yourself. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of others who do. I have a landscape kickstand on my phone, as many people do, because a lot of cases are sold that have a landscape kickstand on it. I don't use Xbox Music because it doesn't do landscape, so I've found a landscape alternative so that I can use it as a music player on my night stand. I also have a night stand clock program to make it like an old time LED clock. When I'm working at my desk, my phone usually sits in landscape mode on the kickstand on my desk.

I'm irritated that I can't do calls or start screen in landscape, while all the settings work in landscape as does text messages. It's like Microsoft got halfway through making an OS that can go either way and just stopped and said, "That's good enough." I say they should finish the job they started.

Its actually a smaller viewing area, but yes, is more similar to browsing on a pc etc
However, a landscape Start screen comes with different interaction issues
Apparently you can only see vertically. Much larger viewing area horizontally, and I read left to right. Works better for me.

...and with the death of the qwerty slider form factor there's simply no reason to have the home screen rotate.

More options are always good but lets be sensible about this, realistically how many people would ACTUALLY use the start screen in landscape mode anyway.
Well, people are voting for it in the uservoice. I've added my vote, and I would SO use it in landscape mode more than portrait mode. In addition to my phone sitting in landscape on my bedside table and on my desk while I work, it also sits in landscape mode on my dashboard in my car. Landscape mode is sorely needed. I'm tired of hurting my neck trying to read it.

Yeah, thanks for providing the link. Had already done that a little while back, but am glad to have it advertised for more people to add votes to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb