Poll: Do you want landscape mode for home screen?

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Does the Home screen on iOS and stock Android rotate?
Umm...YES THEY DO...
how many people would ACTUALLY use the start screen in landscape mode anyway.
You don't know about this as much as me, the fact of the matter is that i would want to use my phone in landscape when im sitting at home or using my phone on a table, which im sure is part of many people's experience in everyday lives. When both your hands are free, having it in landscape is much more nicer to hold and easier to read more content than in portrait.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Umm...YES THEY DO...

You don't know about this as much as me, the fact of the matter is that i would want to use my phone in landscape when im sitting at home or using my phone on a table, which im sure is part of many people's experience in everyday lives. When both your hands are free, having it in landscape is much more nicer to hold and easier to read more content than in portrait.

The home screen on iOS only rotates on the latest version, iOS 8 and the launcher on STOCK Android doesn't rotate at all, note that I said STOCK and not with a third party or manufacturers launcher.

Reread my post, I didn't say that NO ONE uses their phone in landscape, I asked HOW MANY people WOULD use their phone in landscape!!!!!

Reread, comprehend, then comment!!!!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Reread my post, I didn't say that NO ONE uses their phone in landscape, I asked HOW MANY people WOULD use their phone in landscape!!!!!

Yeah, but you worded it in a manner to insinuate that the number people would be small enough to be inconsequential. I happen to disagree, as I think, if available, many, many people would use it in landscape.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I support landscape mode on the phone. I mean Allllllll of my app use landscape and so does our phone setting. So why would you be against having landscape on the home screen ? If anything, it just gives you the flexibility of more options.
And those who are saying many people wont people use it are just narrow sighted. I don't see anything wrong with having the option.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Who cares whether its stock or not? Android and IOS do support it, and thats what matters, only a matter of time till Google introduces it.
Please tell me at what point in my comment did i say that you implied no one uses their phone in landscape? lmao
Rage much?
REREAD, COMPREHEND, THEN COMMENT. LOL

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Does the Home screen on iOS and stock Android rotate?

I would say that having this on WP isn't going to appeal to many more people TBH and with the death of the qwerty slider form factor there's simply no reason to have the home screen rotate. More options are always good but lets be sensible about this, realistically how many people would ACTUALLY use the start screen in landscape mode anyway.

Probably those who would buy a phone with a landscape qwerty keyboard :p, or the people who are so obsessed with running full applications when their phones are docked... I'm not against that idea, just the practical use in reality is much more limited than what they envisage.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
GOD YES!
I have the phone mounted in car horizontally (navigation) and it sucks now. not even notification bar is oriented as it should be!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
GOD YES!
I have the phone mounted in car horizontally (navigation) and it sucks now. not even notification bar is oriented as it should be!

Yes, to me, when using for GPS navigation, landscape orientation is an absolute must. Phone screen and start screen need to follow suit.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
It would be silly to not have Landscape everywhere included. There is function for it, with people wanting this feature and like every app that offers landscape currently, there will be an ability to lock/disable rotation = WIN WIN

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Am i only one using a phone on holder in car? It sucks not being in landscape turning head around and notifications being oriented the right way... This feature should be there since wp7!

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
The home screen on iOS only rotates on the latest version, iOS 8 and the launcher on STOCK Android doesn't rotate at all, note that I said STOCK and not with a third party or manufacturers launcher.

Reread, comprehend, then comment!!!!

As mentioned before, I would.... Typing this and posting this in landscape mode :p

People wonder how many would use this and some would say hardly anybody would use a landscape start screen.... But that's hard to judge when the option has never been given to you to try in order to know one way or another.

Ignorance is bliss perhaps?

I have an android tablet, which is in landscape mode 98% of the time, yet it does support portrait style..... Why it supports portrait, I don't know, but the option is there.

I would use landscape on my 930 very often. The only time I use a portrait view is when I am forced to do so.... Such as an app only being portrait, or if I only have one hand available to use.

Also, the Start Screen on Win 8.1 & 10 (PC) is obviously landscape and for many reasons. While a mobile screen is smaller, many of the benefits for landscape viewing still exist.

A good example is how people take photos or videos on a phone.... Do you prefer the tunnel vision look of videos & pictures taken portrait style or landscape, which is generally more natural for our viewing?

Different situation than compared to a menu / start screen, but the core principle remains the same.

Viewing most things in portrait on a phone feels like looking through an old keyhole and missing a lot of peripheral vision.

Sure it's still the same size and space no matter which way you rotate but for me it's about what feels natural.

I can type faster in landscape than I can in portrait. I can have text and other details larger for viewing and I don't have to zoom farther in like in portrait in order to get the same sized viewing. In landscape I can heave a nice size viewing area where I only have to pan up or down, compared to portrait where I need to zoom even further and then have to pan in all directions to get the same results.

Sure in portrait, you can see more lines of text, but that doesn't help if you can't see the remaining words in the previous lines because they're cut off.

Thus, more work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion