Keyboard driving me crazy!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I always found that WP keyboard lagged behind the others when it came to just raw typing. Wordflow and swipe are fine.

However the typing mistakes I'm making in the preview are much worse. To the point I don't want to message people back.

I keep hitting b and v when going for space. I also keep hitting enter when going for delete. This causes text messages to send with typos. Usually two words strung together with a b or v. :(

I guess it is forcing me more to swipe.

The keys with fly out options are also triggering too easily.

Oh, and the cursor positioning is frustrating at best. It always jumps an extra position or gets stuck in selection mode.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Use Windows Feedback app

I did and upvoted all the similar complaints. At a minimum I think they'll address the closing keyboard and the cursor positioning thing on the next release. It's near impossible to move the cursor 1 position and it always lands one off from the target.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This is funny. I can't use the preview currently because my device doesn't support it but I appreciate you guys doing the feedback. That's how we will help make this OS much better. Get at them about it!!

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm fine with the keyboard, but I'm not happy with the autocorrect changing short words for two-letter US state abbreviations, or swapping words like "mobile" for "Mobil" (as if I'm going to be chatting with my friends about oil and petrol, rather than mentioning my mobile every now and again!). These things should not be in the autocorrect dictionary.

AshBayt

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Do you have all the options in the keyboard settings checked? Maybe there's something that's bothering you? Or reset the keyboard and all the frequently used words (like Mobil) will be reset (unless you start using them again). The keyboard learned from your typing habits.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm fine with the keyboard, but I'm not happy with the autocorrect changing short words for two-letter US state abbreviations, or swapping words like "mobile" for "Mobil" (as if I'm going to be chatting with my friends about oil and petrol, rather than mentioning my mobile every now and again!). These things should not be in the autocorrect dictionary.

I keep getting IT instead of it.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I miss Swiftkey ever since I swapped from Android to Windows. It's been 7 months now with my Lumia 1520 and I still miss Swiftkey.
People can say whatever they want, but Microsoft and Apple (got iphone 5 as work phone) keyboards are total junk compared to Swiftkey. At least for us trilingual people. It's a funny thing how a simple app makes me want to go back to Android. Just that, nothing else.
But yeah, I can type in three languages on Swiftkey, without having to change language, and it always predicts the correct words. Probably because you can sync it to sms, Facebook, etc, but still. Swiftkey is LIGHTYEARS ahead of everything else.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I too thought the keyboard is worse in W10P, but I was afraid to say anything here lol! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I too thought the keyboard is worse in W10P, but I was afraid to say anything here lol! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Saying bad things about the keyboard often gets people angry for some reason and telling you you're doing things wrong. Well, that was on 8.1. But the same issues on 8.1 are just magnified now.

My personal theory was that it had to do with the rectangular key shape. I've used WP since the 8.0 release and I can still pick up an iPhone (a small iPhone 4 or the larger 6+ ) or android phone an instantly type with more accuracy.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess it's doing that for "Information Technology", since there's no US state with that abbreviation.

It's just weird to be using acronyms at all during correction, since neither probability nor necessity can explain it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's doing that for "Information Technology", since there's no US state with that abbreviation.

It's just weird to be using acronyms at all during correction, since neither probability nor necessity can explain it.

It could just be reactive to the community. Since it's a preview perhaps it's predicting based off of all the users, many of which probably work in IT. :) But you'd think it would be more common than IT still.

In 8.0 had the voice dictation interpret something rather innocent into something nasty and x-rated. It was nothing at all like what I said.

I have a friend who's WP8.1 phone will not allow her to type curse words without correction. It always winds up being something about ducks. For some reason mine allows it but I tend to not use that word. So who knows? LOL

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It could just be reactive to the community. Since it's a preview perhaps it's predicting based off of all the users, many of which probably work in IT. :) But you'd think it would be more common than IT still.

In 8.0 had the voice dictation interpret something rather innocent into something nasty and x-rated. It was nothing at all like what I said.

I have a friend who's WP8.1 phone will not allow her to type curse words without correction. It always winds up being something about ducks. For some reason mine allows it but I tend to not use that word. So who knows? LOL

This reminds me of a bad joke:

"While on an official tour of Australia, Prince Charles makes a stop at Wagga Wagga. While shaking hands, the mayor notes the unusual combination of Charles's clothes: an impeccable smart suit, with a rather lurid, bright orange, furry bonnet. Diplomatically, the mayor asks, "Aren't you a bit hot in that headgear, Your Highness?"

Charles explained, "It was Mother's idea. I told her I was travelling to Wagga Wagga, and she said 'Wear the fox hat'".

Kevinblue4eva

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
After updating Truecaller yesterday, my keyboard is seriously messed up. It wouldnt work. I type stuff and nothing appears in the text box. Now only after switching off suggest text, it is working again. No word flow, no suggestions, just an old ****ty keyboard. Any idea whats gone wrong?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven