The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-28-2015 07:41 AM
156 ... 4567
tools
    I'm not wasting anymore of my life on this. I've said what I had to say, and I still stand by it. Hamburgers are bad, Microsoft is stupid for playin' catch-up, and bad solutions are bad.
    Most of your are defending MS not because you really like the idea of a hamburger menu (nobody likes it because it's really bad), but because you feel the need to defend them because you use their products. This thread won't go anywhere from here. We can only wait and see what will happen, but it's pretty obvious that we'll be forced to use hamburger menus whether we like it or not. However, some will easily accept it and not think too much about it, and some will realise what is sacrificed in order to make place for the hamburger.

I'm sad it will go this way. I really thought Microsoft was different.
    Look at the onedrive app. There's a hamburger, pivots and ellipsis menu. Works fine.
    neo158 and FAHMI BASSEM like this.
    04-20-2015 11:25 AM
    Ok, change that to "paraphrasing" if it makes you feel better.
    If you mean writing articles based on other sources, everyone does that?
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-20-2015 11:44 AM
    If you mean writing articles based on other sources, everyone does that?
    It seems you're unaware of the bad opinions that a lot of people have about WMPU. I'm actually being very positive saying that I like the site for a reason. Although, this discussion is off-topic.
    rollindice likes this.
    04-20-2015 12:05 PM
    It seems you're unaware of the bad opinions that a lot of people have about WMPU. I'm actually being very positive saying that I like the site for a reason. Although, this discussion is off-topic.
    I'm not unaware. I joined last year and had those same opinions. Trying to make the site move better in terms of content and stuff. For example, I did a history of Windows Phone, interviews with several Windows Phone developers including MixRadio and other stuff. Trust me, I know.
    As for offtopic, PM? Or twitter if you want to continue the discussion
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-20-2015 12:18 PM
    The argument that most people use a phone two handed most of the time is a bad one, because when you need to use the phone one handed, you need to. Trivial in the grand scheme of things, but it is those little things that make an operating system enjoyable. That's where Apple wins out time and time again: the look and feel is always high-end and you can sense that the user experience is always in their minds. On the other hand, I often get the feeling with MS stuff that there is a vast bureaucracy ruling behind the scenes that is endlessly constrained by the needs of other parts of the company. The menu system for phones seems to be getting changed so that it can both make it more like Android to make app developers happy, while at the same time working on tablets, laptops, and PCs. Compromises, compromises. Personally, I think trying to cram everything onto phones is making them less useful, and I'm not that enthusiastic about the idea of universal apps. I'm simply not going to be using Excel or Word on my phone for anything but possibly reading a document or maybe editing a word or two. It is productivity destroying to waste time trying to do work using a tool that isn't appropriate for a job.
    I don't mind universal apps and you wanna make UI consistent but know in which apps to use pivots and hamburger menus,

Like I meantioned earlier in a post
    "and why oh why for the life of me and many other users why in the phone app you can't swipe easily from left to right to switch between Speed Dial and History, you gotta stretch fingers to very top of phone and press directly on Speed Dial or History , yeah you wanna make apps universal for phones,tablets and pcs but tablets and PCs does not have a Phone app, implementations can be done much much better, really hope changes comes. "
    theefman likes this.
    04-20-2015 12:52 PM
    I don't mind universal apps and you wanna make UI consistent but know in which apps to use pivots and hamburger menus,

Like I meantioned earlier in a post
    "and why oh why for the life of me and many other users why in the phone app you can't swipe easily from left to right to switch between Speed Dial and History, you gotta stretch fingers to very top of phone and press directly on Speed Dial or History , yeah you wanna make apps universal for phones,tablets and pcs but tablets and PCs does not have a Phone app, implementations can be done much much better, really hope changes comes. "
    Don't wanna confuse all those iOS and Android users now do we:)
    wpn00b and theefman like this.
    04-20-2015 01:01 PM
    I'm not unaware. I joined last year and had those same opinions. Trying to make the site move better in terms of content and stuff. For example, I did a history of Windows Phone, interviews with several Windows Phone developers including MixRadio and other stuff. Trust me, I know.
    As for offtopic, PM? Or twitter if you want to continue the discussion
    That's great, Windows deserves more good fan sites.
    I'm not really interested in blogs and publishing. Good luck with that.
    04-20-2015 01:12 PM
    I usually check both WindowsCentral and WMPoweruser websites, sometimes I get updates concerning Windows Phone faster on WMPoweruser site, and the community seems bigger for WindowsCentral
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-20-2015 01:13 PM
    I like your point, except that office on phone is not so important.
    wp10 + keyboard support combined gives you the best WORD experience, writing a homework for school, a report for work, on the go, or at home.
    04-20-2015 01:50 PM
    Never been a "hamburger hater" (they're delicious! ), but being serious, maybe hearing the research and data behind the decision opened people's eyes. Could be a lot of people still hate the hamburger menu, but at least understand why it's being used.

The hamburger menu is here to stay (at least for now), so people will have to decide for themselves if it's enough to switch to something else.
    Although it was a refreshing insight, it's only confirmed to my mind how it's got there (a clear decision of brute function over form) and cemented my desire to see Microsoft be gently and helpfully persuaded to change course.
    04-21-2015 06:51 AM
    I am a hater of the new ui. I think it is absolutely retarded. their logic is Apple and Android did it sooooo... let's do it ! having the nav via swipe left to right gives you more screen realestate and it works. it actually makes it FUN to interact with your phone. that's why I kept my nokia n900 for so long. Because of the interaction with the phone. The little task menu thingy was so enjoyable and needed and made navigating a breeze. no matter how much you try to minimize user interaction with a phone there will always be "user interaction with a phone" as long as there is a phone. May as well keep it an enjoyable experience. this is the retarded. there is no need to fix this as it is NOT broken. I for one embrace change and am pretty open to new things. But this is just a useless change. They are attacting the problem with getting android and apple users the wrong way. The problem isn't the OS or the UI. honesty... most phones are pretty much the same do the same things and work in the same ways. They have a settings menu and aps. they have navigation options and browse the internet etc. This a perception issue. You can't address a perception issue with a technical fix that those users will not appreciate anyway. Marketing, advertising, price point, those things affect perception. Not to mention the ***** 19 year old at the Sprint, Verizon, at&t, and tmo stores are where the energy should be put. Those ignorant little service reps int he stores are the gate keepers and they will turn the average user away from the a windows phone in a heart beat. This is the wrong fix for a problem that doesn't exist.
    Last edited by andraeseus; 04-21-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    04-21-2015 10:26 AM
    I don think its inferior at all. I like metro. I use android and apple from time to time and the apps themselves do the same things. I appreciate the swiping gestures. it looks cool and feels fun.
    prasath1234 and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-21-2015 10:29 AM
    I don think its inferior at all. I like metro. I use android and apple from time to time and the apps themselves do the same things. I appreciate the swiping gestures. it looks cool and feels fun.
    It's seems like they have ruined PC with Metro and now fixed it, but at the same time ruined mobile for the sake of "consistency" with Windows on PCs and blah blah blah.. I'm sure it will look beautiful when it's complete, but that's just how it seems..

To be honest from feedback and my thoughts too, People want a phone to be a phone and a PC to be a PC. Especially not looking the same.

I'd love to have an option for Launchers and themes for the whole system on Windows Phone too.. Then you can choose.
    04-21-2015 02:00 PM
    And before you think about a normal launcher with just icons, I don't mean just that.. I like Launchers with specific features, gestures, creative looks..
    04-21-2015 02:08 PM
    I'd love to hold a Windows system based on gestures. It would feel really Windows like haha ;)

Feels more advanced and active.

For example: Nokia's Launcher Z, Sailfish OS, add more + if you know any..

Maybe as an option? Activate/deactivate. Gestures on your Windows phone ?
    04-21-2015 02:09 PM
    it is obvious that WP designers don't know what they're doing!!

see this image as an example:
    ABOUT 3 INCHES ONLY AVAILABLE!!!!wp_ss_20150422_0002.png
    04-22-2015 06:40 AM

ABOUT 3 INCHES ONLY AVAILABLE!!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20150422_0002.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	102896
    on the contrary, I think that isn't bad at all. Maybe make it a bit more dense, but otherwise I like the design.

This isn't something that is entirely new to Windows Phone either. The acclaimed People Hub in say 7 was still received well.
    04-22-2015 06:47 AM
    can you see the blank space at the bottom!!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-22-2015 06:55 AM
    can you see the blank space at the bottom!!
    Can you see the alpha symbol at the top?
    DCTF, ajayden and xandros9 like this.
    04-22-2015 07:10 AM
    can you see that we are discussing the technical preview to find the flaws OF the UI?
    raphok, Kevin Rush and andraeseus like this.
    04-22-2015 07:20 AM
    Can you see the alpha symbol at the top?
    well, doesnt make sense to discuss the UI after the final version.. final version will not change because is a final version.
    04-22-2015 08:08 AM
    Not exactly true - its an app therefore can be updated by MS whenever they want. But I am with you it makes more sense to discuss it before the final release.
    rollindice likes this.
    04-22-2015 08:09 AM

ABOUT 3 INCHES ONLY AVAILABLE!!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20150422_0002.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	102896

Yes you are right, there is more space at the bottom.
    Mainly due to the thickness of the dark grey menu bar below.
    However, they will be reducing the size of the menu bar for sure.
    04-22-2015 09:15 AM
    My time to vent ;-)

I don't have anything about hamburger menus. But why we need to go that road is the reason I need to know!!!

For things that are used rarely? Well, have it in the next screen or keep a link like "settings" in various apps into the ellipsis. If hamburger is going to hide things that are not used often, why keep it in the screen all the time? Hide it away some where, either as a link into the ellipsis or an action in the action bar(which definitely going to be seen all the time; but putting the hamburger kind into that will at least save some screen estate used if we have both the action bar and hamburger)

For having leaps and bounds of things added to the app? Let's face it. No one can be using those number of items consistently over a period of time. And if they require that much, why do that work on a meager 4" to 6" screens? Portable and powerful do not mix well. At least things that are that portable but should be that powerful.

Better adaptable for new users? If it is going to be the same design with their previous phone, why they bother try this new OS? Why not stay with the OS they are familiar with and done away with it?

Don't need to do a "different for the sake of being different"? Well it will be as bad as "similar for the sake of being similar" except that you will lose the appeal to those who wanted something fresh. For arguments asking what about those who were familiar with other platforms, please read the previous point.

If hamburger is the way MS is going to choose, I am fine with it(even if I am not, MS is going to do it anyway). At the very least put it in the bottom(either in the action bar or a separate space for it). It will be lot more useful that way.

And what would I do if MS is going to put hamburger AND going to put it in the top only? Well, lets just say that I will be stuck in the Windows Phone 8.1. I loved the idea of hubs and hoping that hubs will be back with Windows 10(hoping that Message hub is just the beginning that I might see).
    04-22-2015 10:52 AM
    Up until NOW, I've been going on screenshots & descriptions ...

Just installed Win10 Mobile (10052) on my Lumia 635 (backup phone) and the People Hub (as it currently exists) is somewhat disappointing !!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-22-2015 12:36 PM
156 ... 4567