The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-11-2015 06:05 PM
65 123
tools
    IMHO, the tiles filled with a single color without border are quite ugly and I hate it.
    I'm not sure whether MS has made some investigation how does people like it? E.g., how many people like it and how many dislike it?
    My point is not malicious. I just hope windows to be more successful and attractive.
    Well you're asking your question on what used to be Windows Phone Central. Most, if not all people on this site like the tiles. I love them as they are a time saver for me. Thanks to live tiles, I can swipe once and get the latest on email, news, and social stuff. On my iPhone I have to rely on the notification bar and it isn't as pleasant. Also, if you dont like the lack of borders on the tiles you can download apps to change that, or just go into Settings -> Ease of Access -> High Contrast to make borders.

Also, spend some time and search some of the "Show your background or Start Screen" threads in all the individual forums. They variety is endless and some folks hear have made some real art and have been innovative in how they setup their screens. I always scoff at those who say WP is not customizable because it couldn't be further from fact.
    04-23-2015 10:47 AM
    99% people hate it and say there should be transparent tiles (like glass) and not like now. Other 1% is Windows Central lol.
    Respectfully, you are seriously hanging out with the wrong people if 99% of them "hate" at all.
    04-23-2015 10:47 AM
    I like live tiles, but there are some problems with the implementation:
    *It's hard to find the apps because the tile is always changing.
    *Sometimes the text is hard to read because the background image of the tile is too light.
    *The home screen is too busy and distracting.
    *Sometimes the information on the tile is stale.
    *The app open the main page, not the article that was on the tile when the user clicked.
    *Tiles aren't interactive.

If live tiles have so many problems, Microsoft should provide the grid of icons as an alternative for people that prefer a simpler and more traditional home screen.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-23-2015 11:10 AM
    I have enjoyed the live tiles. I can't say I want more but it would be nice to see more apps/games go with Live Tiles, outside of Microsoft's own apps. I think Trivia Crack was the latest to add Live Tile support, but it was to just display a number at the top right corner.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the way things are now and looking for to the Start Screen changes in Windows 10; large and vertical tiles, and possibly more to come; transparent/opaque/Windows 8.1 tiles; better looking visual of the background.
    04-23-2015 11:36 AM
    For those that don't like the tiles, try the High contrast setting in Ease of access and set Personalization Background Theme to dark, and tell me what you think about that. It's almost like no tiles or transparent, but there is still the square outline. The icons are more prominent and closer to traditional.

I think the OP has a good point. When WP7 came out, I did not find it visually compelling even though the UI was very interesting. I think it had to do with the minimalistic metro icons. While simple and to the point, they're not that interesting for very long. I think the brain likes complexity, or complexity overloads the brain. Also if you have something minimalistic, it may be more interesting if it is the sole focus--meaning a colored square around it, takes away interest rather than increase it. This seems true to me when looking at a high contrast setup, or it could be something else at play.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-23-2015 12:07 PM
    Respectfully, you are seriously hanging out with the wrong people if 99% of them "hate" at all.
    Hahahah, don't worry its not that bad ;) .. Hopefully someday I will suck them all into WP lol.
    Avi Anand likes this.
    04-23-2015 03:09 PM
    Interactive Tiles, Interactive.. that would be a worthy W10 update
    04-23-2015 03:11 PM
    Interactive Tiles, Interactive.. that would be a worthy W10 update
    I'd love that too but that would be hell for the developers though if you think about it. They would have up to make 4 normal live tiles and 3 interactive tiles. Ouch!
    Last edited by colinkiama; 04-25-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-23-2015 06:11 PM
    great first post
    04-23-2015 07:43 PM
    I think the UI would look better, if they had a design more like this https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...design-concept... It is really beautiful and could give window phone the push it needs to gain users
    Slovenix likes this.
    04-23-2015 08:27 PM
    that's not a very realistic solution, by doing that you are in fact giving up the main feature of the start screen: the live tiles
    It's a realistic solution for the OP. He doesn't like the tiles being all one colour and boring. The OP wants to change the way the start screen looks and these apps do that without MS changing everything to suit his needs while PO'ing everybody else who likes them.

You may not get live tiles and maybe some of these app devs might be able to fix that somehow, but you can't always get everything you want.

Do you like live tiles more or would you prefer to have a different looking start screen over live tiles?

Pick and choose.
    04-23-2015 08:43 PM
    Interactive Live tiles is the way forward. Developers need to explore the possibilities of personalizing the info on the tiles.
    The absolute worse place for people to see and judge WP GUI is at the shops which sells WP. These have very basic screens. And I can guarantee that 99% of the sales reps won't be able to tell potential customers how to customize the start screen, much less how to personalize it (two different things)
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-23-2015 08:44 PM
    99% people hate it and say there should be transparent tiles (like glass) and not like now. Other 1% is Windows Central lol.
    And 78.23% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    raycpl likes this.
    04-23-2015 08:47 PM
    MixView Tiles!!!
    Nuff said.
    04-23-2015 08:54 PM
    And 78.23% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    Still not so far from the truth ;) of course it's made up
    Praxius likes this.
    04-23-2015 11:25 PM
    MixView Tiles!!!
    Nuff said.
    Still wondering what exactly that means
    04-23-2015 11:26 PM
    Still wondering what exactly that means
    Um yeah I thought it might have been an app..... Nope
    04-24-2015 02:02 AM
    I think the UI would look better, if they had a design more like this https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...design-concept... It is really beautiful and could give window phone the push it needs to gain users
    Have you posted one post on this forum that doesn't contain the link to your concept?
    I get it..self-promotion and all that, but cool it. Not that I'm having a problem with it, or telling you what to do, but chill dude.
    04-24-2015 06:14 PM
    The Blatant Truth

At this point it doesn't matter what anybody says, myself included. The public spoke with their wallets. Metro tiles and by extension Windows phone have been a complete failure. Market share/sales is the only way a "for profit" company measures the success of it's products. For those of you that are die hard phan boys is just doesn't matter, market share rules! You have only to look at the Windows 8 reviews and there are plenty of them to know that the metro tiles concept also damn near took down the Windows desktop franchise. If you don't believe either the review or the sales figures of Windows 8 then just ask yourself: Why is MS giving a free copy of Windows 10 to almost everybody? It certainly appears they're trying to stop any further desktop market share erosion.

If it weren't for MS's very very deep pockets windows phone would have been gone 2-3 years ago and it still may.
    04-25-2015 10:12 AM
    You tell me, tiles are what you make of it. If you think you cannot rearrange them for something different then the tile concept in 10 is gone. Here is what my 1520 looks like...wp_ss_20150422_0001.jpg
    04-25-2015 10:39 AM
    The Blatant Truth

At this point it doesn't matter what anybody says, myself included. The public spoke with their wallets. Metro tiles and by extension Windows phone have been a complete failure. Market share/sales is the only way a "for profit" company measures the success of it's products. For those of you that are die hard phan boys is just doesn't matter, market share rules! You have only to look at the Windows 8 reviews and there are plenty of them to know that the metro tiles concept also damn near took down the Windows desktop franchise. If you don't believe either the review or the sales figures of Windows 8 then just ask yourself: Why is MS giving a free copy of Windows 10 to almost everybody? It certainly appears they're trying to stop any further desktop market share erosion.

If it weren't for MS's very very deep pockets windows phone would have been gone 2-3 years ago and it still may.
    I'll bite, more than not i have heard sales people talk bad about windows phone before a customer even sees the tiles. Windows 8 for a vast majority of the market is all they needed, people just didnt like change. As well live tiles are not going away in 10 desktop, get over it. Next, free, because it's two biggest competitors, give it away for free. A unified OS is the ultimate goal. And if that means taking a billion dollar hit over a 5yr buy in period that a normal OS would take, vs an instant upgrade to get 1 billion+ devices on the latest OS, to run unified apps that will instantly boost windows phone app count. Then you sir have no clue how powerful 1billion devices is. Google likes to tout this holy grail number and Windows can tout that number over night, while android needed 8+yrs to get that number and countless throw away 50 dollar phones (not so much in the desktop market).
    04-25-2015 10:43 AM
    I'll bite, more than not i have heard sales people talk bad about windows phone before a customer even sees the tiles. Windows 8 for a vast majority of the market is all they needed, people just didnt like change. As well live tiles are not going away in 10 desktop, get over it. Next, free, because it's two biggest competitors, give it away for free. A unified OS is the ultimate goal. And if that means taking a billion dollar hit over a 5yr buy in period that a normal OS would take, vs an instant upgrade to get 1 billion+ devices on the latest OS, to run unified apps that will instantly boost windows phone app count. Then you sir have no clue how powerful 1billion devices is. Google likes to tout this holy grail number and Windows can tout that number over night, while android needed 8+yrs to get that number and countless throw away 50 dollar phones (not so much in the desktop market).
    I agree. The "Windows Phone" tiles and UI is innovative, amazing, and actually easy to understand and use. Poor communication marketing by Microsoft was the biggest problem. They didn't relentlessly communicate the incredible ease and value.
    04-25-2015 09:48 PM
    You tell me, tiles are what you make of it. If you think you cannot rearrange them for something different then the tile concept in 10 is gone. Here is what my 1520 looks like...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20150422_0001.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	103149
    1: That's super fresh
    2: Sometimes less is more

I love the tile UI. Adjustable tiles is one of the biggest reasons I choose WP over other OSs with a static grid of apps. The UI has only gotten better over time thanks to the numerous ways to customize the screen. However, it can get very ugly, very fast. I used to struggle tying to make everything look coherent, which is hard when there are 30 apps on the screen and they all have different colors and sizes.

Eventually, I realized that less is more. Thanks to the fabulous app drawer, I don't need to stuff my home screen. Once I realized that, the possibilities just opened up. First I unpinned any app that didn't have a transparent tile. And then I made good use of the #tileart app and background image.

I know having just transparent tiles might not work for everyone, but there's no reason to stuff the screen. If you're having trouble making the UI work for you, then start by simplifying it. You can come up with something truly amazing and personal. That's the hard sell, to convince someone in the store of the possibilities when all they see is a random collection of tiles. Of course the tiles looks ugly. They haven't made it theirs yet.
    04-25-2015 10:31 PM
    The UI wasn't upto mark until WP8.1 & now in Windows 10, the background picture & transparent tiles makes it more beautiful. The latest leak shows minimal gap between tiles makes it more appealing. I'm glad MS did this, it should be there since 8.1 but better late than never. My next phone will certainly be a good mid range Windows Phone.
    HeyCori, DCTF and prasath1234 like this.
    04-26-2015 02:41 AM
    IMO, main reason for WP bad reception is the absolute contrast between live tiles and rest of the system. We have colorful, joyful start screen and completely hollow ad depressing rest of the system. Black menus are so deeply black and white option is so childish and basic. IDK, for me, WP menus are ideal for eink readers but not for hi tech, hi color devices with large screens.
    Spectrum90 and prasath1234 like this.
    04-26-2015 08:01 AM
65 123