04-29-2015 06:20 PM
90 1234
tools
    The perception of the product is worse because Microsoft has to incur in bigger losses to sell a similar number of devices.

The smartphone market has grown at least 30% YoY, Lumia sales increased only 18% YoY and the same quarter last year was weak because Nokia didn't have incentives to invest in the product after they signed the acquisition agreement with Microsoft.
    Going for the gold medal in the backstroke? None of this changes the fact that you presented your own facts and were decisively wrong.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    04-23-2015 09:39 PM
    Going for the gold medal in the backstroke? None of this changes the fact that you presented your own facts and were decisively wrong.
    I think your was caused by comparing numbers without context.
    04-23-2015 09:46 PM
    I think your was caused by comparing numbers without context.
    Math doesn't involve context, only integers.
    04-23-2015 09:53 PM
    I'll bet you $500,000 that you are wrong. When can you confirm ?
    04-23-2015 09:57 PM
    I'll bet you $500,000 that you are wrong. When can you confirm ?
    To which post are you referring to?
    04-23-2015 10:04 PM
    Math doesn't involve context, only integers.
    The situation is worse because Microsoft sold the phones under the cost this quarter, the smartphone market is growing much faster then WP and the same quarter of the last year was weak.
    Just comparing the numbers can't capture the context. I don't know why you're struggling with this. It's easy to understand.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-23-2015 10:05 PM
    The situation is worse because Microsoft sold the phones under the cost this quarter, the smartphone market is growing much faster then WP and the same quarter of the last year was weak.
    Just comparing the numbers can't capture the context. I don't know why you're struggling with this. It's easy to understand.
    Going off on yet another tangent doesn't change the fact that numbers don't lie. Numbers do not rely on any spoken or written language. There is no context to consider, only numbers. You're the one struggling with the fact that you can't admit that you were caught flip-flopping again. Hear my words and take heed, let it go.
    04-23-2015 10:11 PM
    If this universal apps with windows 10 doesn't work to bring in the apps, I say allow android apps. I'm tired of seeing ads for apps and games for only apple and android.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 04-23-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    04-23-2015 10:26 PM
    I believe it doesn't matter if Windows phones succeed or not. MS is already being safe and expanding itself everywhere. If Lumias keep giving me what I need, I'll keep buying them, just like anybody else who likes the system. If at any point it's not enough, I'll simply buy an Android phone and use MS apps. Either way, MS users will be well served, own platform or not. I guess what I'm saying is the original question is a moot point. Microsoft won't sell the phone business even if its own Lumias stop selling. They'll just make Android phones full of MS services and apps and probably a WP-like launcher. Either way is fine with me.
    04-23-2015 10:42 PM
    That licensing agreement between Apple and MS pertains to patents. It doesn't apply to products and services. HERE and MS have an agreement in place (lasting ten years) which anyone buying the company would have to respect. After that anything can happen.
    Anyone but MS buying HERE represents a long term threat to MS' mapping services.
    Huh, was it only patents? I thought it extended further than that, welp, nevermind me then.
    04-23-2015 11:15 PM
    If this universal apps with windows 10 doesn't work to bring in the apps, I say allow android apps. I'm tired of seeing ads for apps and games for only apple and android.
    Now that Windows Phone looks like Android they should totally do it.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-23-2015 11:49 PM
    Microsoft will invent something really revolutionary in mobile space, something never seen in the eyes of people. Windows phones will begin to sell like warm morning bread with your favorite ingredients.

In near future.

* Applies positive thoughts *
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    04-24-2015 12:11 AM
    To which post are you referring to?
    There's only one person making a prediction.
    snowmutt likes this.
    04-24-2015 12:47 AM
    What year, 2020?
    04-24-2015 12:53 AM
    I can hardly wait for Windows 10. Even if nothing else, the wave of new phones will make users of our platform a little more at ease.

Look- it has taken Bing over a decade to show a profit. MS did not give up on search. They needed it to be competitive.

XBOX took about 6 years to show a profit. MS did not give up on gaming, and now it has opened up an entire generation to MS services that otherwise would have never given "My parents Microsoft" a second thought.

For all the talk about the Zune failure, it gave way to a music service that has put MS foot in the door of the multi-media users and XBOX Music is indeed a gateway for users of it's service to it's other billion dollar industries.

NONE of these examples are nearly as important to MS as mobility. I do not think the "doomsayers" understand that Windows phone doesn't need to sell 100-200 million devices to be profitable. If MS can get even to 50-60 million Lumia's sold a year and get users worldwide on their software, all is good. Their determination to get mobility in their back pocket is way more focused than any other market in the last 15 years.

I am going to spin something fun from now until I am proven wrong: The software they have put on Android and iOS will get people using their services and drive them to Windows on phones next. In droves. By the gazillions.

So there. Neener. I even used a made-up number. All sunshine and Palm Trees in my world.
    04-24-2015 01:32 AM
    WIndows Phone will survive, but in the enterprise market, not the consumer. It has already made great inroads here in the UK.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-24-2015 01:59 AM
    The software they have put on Android and iOS will get people using their services and drive them to Windows on phones next. In droves. By the gazillions.
    The Microsoft apps on iOS and Android(especially iOS) are fantastic, there's no reason for anyone to leave either of those platforms to get better Microsoft apps and services.
    N_LaRUE and psudotechzealot like this.
    04-24-2015 03:13 AM
    WP will become more attractive because of W10, when more people take an interest in a shared, cross-device OS
    {snipped} The same thing was said about WP8. I haven't seen the marketshare increase.
    04-24-2015 03:38 AM
    The Microsoft apps on iOS and Android(especially iOS) are fantastic, there's no reason for anyone to leave either of those platforms to get better Microsoft apps and services.
    And that is the reason Microsoft will not go out of the phone market soon. As they make money off other platforms, they will just need windows phone to show their presence in mobile market.
    04-24-2015 03:41 AM
    i want to make a prediction. Although soon to judge, but i see the microsoft fails and with w10 for phones and in 2017 to sell the part of mobiles. I hope to refute be wrong but this is my opinion.
    What do you think about this guys?
    not
    04-24-2015 03:44 AM
    I dont think MS could have any less market share, i mean is that even possible? Worst case scenario is that W10 gets released, nobody gives a shet and we stay the same puny crowd of 3%. Apart from a few OS, we're one of the weakest in market share, don't think it could get any worse.
    I think there is nowhere else to go but up or we just stay the exact same amount. the most W10 could increase in market share realistically 2 years from now, is maybe 6-10%.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-24-2015 07:37 AM
    {snipped} The same thing was said about WP8. I haven't seen the marketshare increase.
    WP8 and Win8 had the right idea but the wrong application. Both suffered from the MS tendency to wrap a new layer onto the old layers rather than thinking, "If I was designing this thing for the first time, is this what it would look like?"

The biggest problem was the desktop Win8's failure to take off, because so many Win7 home users were happy where they were. That's not the case this time - there is much more impetus for the home user to take on Win10 because it's free and, most of all for the games enthusiasts, because of DX12. MS has historically shown an almost perverse avoidance of good-looking design, as if their niche was to be the Honest Joe OS that doesn't care about that latte-drinking frippery, but that began to change during the Win8 years. They quietly influenced their competitors, but never succeeded in taking the credit. Win10 is the first OS they've ever made that dares to stand up to OSX and show off its clean, modern looks as a truly elegant system.
    Last edited by DCTF; 04-24-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    04-24-2015 07:55 AM
    Things look pretty bad. Microsoft sold only 8.6 million Lumia phones in the last quarter. The gross margin felt $300 million, losses must be huge in the phone division.
    I think you'll find it pretty much broke even. I saw a graph with margin for phone division of (0.00) which indicates a very small loss.
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    04-24-2015 08:10 AM
    WP is here to stay, if MS continue to innovate on features they will stay in the market. I think they understand this, and we will see in the next iteration of their flagship devices. If the rumours are true then we'll be seeing great things for the hardware (Iris scanner, 3D interaction).

As long as MS keep building the phones and update the OS, I will keep buying them.
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    04-24-2015 08:55 AM
    I think you'll find it pretty much broke even. I saw a graph with margin for phone division of (0.00) which indicates a very small loss.
    This is a comment of a dude in other site, I think he explains it well:
    "That's gross margin surur, not profit. Adding SG&A, losses must be over $500 million per quarter.
    Negative margin means they are selling under the cost of the hardware, and even with those subsidized prices people don't want to buy the phones."
    04-24-2015 09:13 AM
90 1234