Unused "left side" of star/tiles screen

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
When you're on the main start/tiles screen:

- A right to left swipe brings the app list
- Up and down swipes let you see all tiles and pull down action center

And left to right swipe? Nothing

Do you considered there should be extra tiles space, a multimedia screen (specially for music & photos without opening the apps) or something like that? Maybe a customizable menu?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I remember when we were debating the intergration of the notification center, most of use were hoping that the "left swipe" would be where they put it. Way more natural for us Windows phone users then the "swipe down" motion of Android and iOS.

But you are correct- it seems like there could be an option to pin tiles to the left, as opposed to only being able to scroll down. Home tile screen, secondary tile screen to the left, and menus to the right. I think I might really like that option.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I remember when we were debating the intergration of the notification center, most of use were hoping that the "left swipe" would be where they put it. Way more natural for us Windows phone users then the "swipe down" motion of Android and iOS.

But you are correct- it seems like there could be an option to pin tiles to the left, as opposed to only being able to scroll down. Home tile screen, secondary tile screen to the left, and menus to the right. I think I might really like that option.

I think WP users might like that because they seem to want a use for as many actions as possible, but I think it could compound the problem of converting people to the OS. Besides, I don't think there's any point in having tiles to the left if I've got a list to the right. If I need a tile for an app but it's not important enough to be on my main screen area, it only needs to be placed just off the bottom for easy down-scrolling access. There's even a danger of the user forgetting where he/she has put a tile if it could be either down or left, and a phone should never get so messy.

Downward swipe works best for the notification centre because your alerts are going to be at the top of the portrait window. Drag to Expand is the obvious choice here. Pulling left to right wouldn't make any sense with the way the alert had appeared, if it is to be readable.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think WP users might like that because they seem to want a use for as many actions as possible, but I think it could compound the problem of converting people to the OS. Besides, I don't think there's any point in having tiles to the left if I've got a list to the right. If I need a tile for an app but it's not important enough to be on my main screen area, it only needs to be placed just off the bottom for easy down-scrolling access. There's even a danger of the user forgetting where he/she has put a tile if it could be either down or left, and a phone should never get so messy.

Downward swipe works best for the notification centre because your alerts are going to be at the top of the portrait window. Drag to Expand is the obvious choice here. Pulling left to right wouldn't make any sense with the way the alert had appeared, if it is to be readable.

I completely agree..a second start screen of tiles would be so messy, and the action center is great where/the way it is..more toggles,buttons,menus ,etc are all just gonna make the OS mess,inconsistent,and slow/heavy like android..

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel like after windows 10,IOS will the one to once again have the lightest,fastest,and most fluid and secure OS..with everybody wanting to turn windows 10 into an android clone ( which is weird because whenever Microsoft does add android-like features the same ppl will complain)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos