Design: They are listening!!!

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is looking really, really good. If people still have beef about WP allegedly turning into Android/iOS after this... well... I don't know what to tell those people.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm disapointed. I read the whole blog, watched the whole keynote today, and all I can say is that I don't like the way MS is taking. That's not the way I thought they'd take. But hey, you can't satisfy everyone.
I hope it doesn't bother me as much as I think it would. But I don't know how much it's gonna work out for me, when there's not a single big thing in Win10 that I'm happy about.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm disapointed. I read the whole blog, watched the whole keynote today, and all I can say is that I don't like the way MS is taking. That's not the way I thought they'd take. But hey, you can't satisfy everyone.
I hope it doesn't bother me as much as I think it would. But I don't know how much it's gonna work out for me, when there's not a single big thing in Win10 that I'm happy about.

What way did you want them to take?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. So they're going to drop hamburger menus, switch circle contact pictures to square, redesign the toggle switches/icons to look more like WP and actually expand on the Metro/Modern design language with pivots, panoramas, ellipses and all the other stylish well thought out stuff that brought us to WP in the first place.

::reads blog::

Oh...

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
What way did you want them to take?

Ehh.. it's hard to explain my whole vision in a post. Even I don't have it clear in my head. But basicly it revolved around staying true to what they were doing, following what's good and not what's most spread. These blogs seem to me more like a way to shut our mouths and steer our minds away from being unsatisfied, then real explaining of their thoughts. However, it's not as bad as it could be, thought it's not far away from it.

Awesome. So they're going to drop hamburger menus, switch circle contact pictures to square, redesign the toggle switches/icons to look more like WP and actually expand on the Metro/Modern design language with pivots, panoramas, ellipses and all the other stylish well thought out stuff that brought us to WP in the first place.

::reads blog::

Oh...

Yup... same reaction as mine.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
The new design for photo app on wp looks really nice, email looks ok

My only problems with the photo app are that it has become slow and cumbersome like the music app. It has to search the device for new photos everytime I open it. Sometimes it takes a FEW MINUTES just to load a couple of new pictures. Very lame. We know this won't improve or change, obviously, just look how the music app is still this way. Also I'd prefer if my photos opened straight to albums, not a jumbled mess of all photos.
Seriously wonder what goes through their heads, besides air, at times.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
At this point, I personally don't care. They can do anything and I'll learn to use it. For everyone here; taking design too seriously can result in endless arguments. Design preference is really, totally subjective. Sure, I have read people post things that are genuinely thought-out and make sense, but I think everyone is being way too serious about this. Design is important, but there are things that are more important than pure looks.

I like the way WP8 is designed, and I also like the screenshots in that article. This is a big shift in the way Windows looks and while I understand how important it is for Windows 10 to 'get it right', I feel like design is one of the last things that people consider. I mean just look at Samsung phones, they sell by the millions and yet that UI is ugly as sin. Even settings app up to KitKat was abhorrent. But people buy them because they get the job done.

Don't worry about it people. There is a lot of stuff that W10 is getting right. I forgive them even if design isn't one of them.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
My only problems with the photo app are that it has become slow and cumbersome like the music app. It has to search the device for new photos everytime I open it. Sometimes it takes a FEW MINUTES just to load a couple of new pictures. Very lame. We know this won't improve or change, obviously, just look how the music app is still this way. Also I'd prefer if my photos opened straight to albums, not a jumbled mess of all photos.
Seriously wonder what goes through their heads, besides air, at times.

i meant photo app from posted link :)
1ZTlcne.png

as for the current one yes its kind of slow when it scan for new images i do remember there is an option to automatically enhance my pictures when they can be improved its enabled by default maybe try to disable auto enhancing i haven't tested phone version for w10 tp im using desktop version, and i do think it will get a lot better give them some time the current app still looks like an alpha version also send them your feedback :)

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
i meant photo app from posted link :)
http://i.imgur.com/1ZTlcne.png

as for the current one yes its kind of slow when it scan for new images i do remember there is an option to automatically enhance my pictures when they can be improved its enabled by default maybe try to disable auto enhancing i haven't tested phone version for w10 tp im using desktop version, and i do think it will get a lot better give them some time the current app still looks like an alpha version also send them your feedback :)

I reckon a lot of people are secretly angry about how good those images from the blog look. Because it's kind of, you know, inarguably better, and after all the recent bluster it takes a bit of guts to admit that.

I like KhawarNadeem's post in general, but I think design is way more important than people like to let on. If it's not there but the ergonomics are good, that's okay, but when it looks as damn smart as this, and it's a solid look across the whole new Windows family, it matters.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I like KhawarNadeem's post in general, but I think design is way more important than people like to let on. If it's not there but the ergonomics are good, that's okay, but when it looks as damn smart as this, and it's a solid look across the whole new Windows family, it matters.

Agreed. These screenshots look like a pretty good compromise between the (sort of) boring Android/iOS look and what WP8 looks like. I love the "Modern" look of WP8 and you can't deny the impact it's had in iOS 8 and Lollipop with flat(ter) UI, bigger fonts and bold colour schemes.

Microsoft will do a huge design shift, but at least it will be consistent and not all over the place like Android. I think consistency is far more elegant. The NEW MS cares too much about design to bring out a horrible UI. I have faith that Microsoft will play to its strengths, with a focus on typography and clear visuals, but they will also have to dial it back because right now a lot of people (including the ones I personally know) think that WP is too esoteric and not too practical in use. There's no harm in Modern/Metro evolving to please the masses. There's nothing wrong with being the thing that everybody likes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon