Bank apps coming back oooo yes

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Amusing the person is referred to as an evangelist and that people should have faith. Place faith in things that matter, not in lines from someone who is paid to say such things. If you want to know if the banks are returning, ask them. So far the silence is pretty definite as were the justifications for dropping the apps. Don't get excited over a paid spokesperson making claims he is paid to make. If such claims were all true the BB Playbook would be running BB10, the BB store would be overrun with quality apps; Instagram would not be a perpetual WP beta; WP 7 devices would have been more upgradeable, etc., etc., etc..

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It makes you wonder what purpose there was in removing the apps in the first place if they are coming back in a few months. Why make customers angry?

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
There is a simple answer to this question. They did not want to invest any more money in the existing Windows 8 versions due to low usage numbers. Due to security concerns they where not able to leave them in the store either, so they removed them.

They will give Windows 10 a chance but don't think that this is forever. If the usage rates of the apps don't raise with Windows 10 they apps will be removed again.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There is a simple answer to this question. They did not want to invest any more money in the existing Windows 8 versions due to low usage numbers. Due to security concerns they where not able to leave them in the store either, so they removed them.

They will give Windows 10 a chance but don't think that this is forever. If the usage rates of the apps don't raise with Windows 10 they apps will be removed again.

What security concerns? From what I understand there was nothing inherently wrong with the apps in the first place. It was just no one using them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What security concerns? From what I understand there was nothing inherently wrong with the apps in the first place. It was just no one using them.

It sounds like it was more related to regulations than an actual security issue:

In an interview with Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley Microsoft?s Chief Evangelist of Developer Experience Steven Guggenheimer revealed that Microsoft remained in close communication with the banks who withdrew their apps but that both Microsoft and the banks did not feel now was the right time to invest in Windows Phone apps given that Windows 10 was coming, and that the apps could unfortunately not be left un-updated due to regulatory issues.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft and the banks did not feel now was the right time to invest in Windows Phone apps given that Windows 10 was coming, and that the apps could unfortunately not be left un-updated due to regulatory issues.

I think that's half the truth. There's been a slow drip of banks pulling their apps from WP for a couple of years. A bank app requires a constant development budget to provide updates and stay on top of security problems, that much is true, but I think the calculation had a lot more to do with low profits from WP users' transactions (and therefore problems covering unique development costs for WP).* I suspect it's the Build announcement about easy app porting that's behind the new optimism.

* bearing in mind I'm just an internet bigmouth, and I have no idea what I'm talking about here really

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

What security concerns are you talking about? Windows Phone? Security risk? This is the problem when we get people propagating these unsubstantiated stories about how much a security risk Windows Phones are when almost half (44 percent) of android deployments are still running Gingerbread. That android version has major security issues from heartbleed to clientlogin and beyond and google said they flat out won't address them. Not even a little bit. Don't plan to do squat about it. if you are running anything other than Lollipop, google's position is, not my problem.
Reuters has a recent story about how much a security risk banking apps are on android. But you quote somebody like its fact on Windows Phone.

With all the side loading of apps from pirated app from every unsavory creepy hacker from all parts of the world and they connect that phone to google email systems, medical records, and your banking information and when the bank pulls out of our market, people are quick to claim low market share and Windows Phone being the security risk. I don't think banks give a dog gone about anything other than making money and they do that by being where you and your money is.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It makes you wonder what purpose there was in removing the apps in the first place if they are coming back in a few months. Why make customers angry?
The reason it doesn't make sense to you is that it is all BS. The banks aren't happy with the backlash for killing them. MS is embarrassed for subsidizing the apps in the first place only to have the banks abandon them. So they got together and came up with this BS story that makes them both look less incompetent. There is no other even possible scenario that would explain a MS evangelist keeping their job after saying it was good and smart for any company to throw Windows Phone users under the bus. Not to mention what that means going forward: Who knows when some govt reg or MS change will cause apps to disappear and MS thinks that's just good business. The reason he still has a job is that this story that makes MS and Windows for phones look ridiculous is the BEST explanation his bosses could come up with for him to say.

What happened is: (a) MS encouraged/subsidized WP apps for the banks (b) the banks didn't look a gift horse in the mouth but when the incentives dried up, they killed the apps rather than pay to update them. When they killed the apps, they either refused to give any explanation OR said it was because nobody used them OR said it was because not enough people used them to be worth the effort. Now the story changes to govt regulations were too expensive to implement and Windows 10 is so different and so much better we decided to wait.

There are so many contradictions and about faces it makes your head spin.

First if there aren't enough customers or their customers don't use Windows, why should the banks be so excited about W10?

If WP10 is being touted as trivial to convert iOS or Android apps to them AND if MS had already converted iOS games to work on WP8 why tell the world that existing WP apps are so hard to convert to WP10, that banks were smart to hold off until WP10 was released. Or why would MS make sure we had Candy Crush secretly converted from iOS instead of doing the same for important things like banking apps? If we are to believe MS, it should have been fairly simple to just convert a bank's iOS (or Android) app to run in WP8.

And since when would a bank or any company give an initial reason for dropping an app that insults customers by telling them they aren't important enough rather than telling them they were just dropping them temporarily due to the impact of govt regulation but they will be coming back better than ever with WP10? They had no intention of bringing them back. But now it looks like MS is going to do it all over again and subsidize new W10 versions of apps.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What security concerns are you talking about? Windows Phone? Security risk? This is the problem when we get people propagating these unsubstantiated stories about how much a security risk Windows Phones are...

I'm not sure Rasetech was implying there were security concerns specific to Windows Phone, just that banks may not want to leave unattended apps lying around. At least that was my take on it. I wonder if you may be reading too much into it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure Rasetech was implying there were security concerns specific to Windows Phone, just that banks may not want to leave unattended apps lying around. At least that was my take on it. I wonder if you may be reading too much into it.
That's what I thought too. I was under the impression that the US regulations don't allow banks to leave unattended apps around. It sounded like the apps must be maintained or else removed.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I find the less I think about this crap the happier I am. If banking apps are coming back with Windows 10, that's all I particularly care about. If Windows 10 for phones still does so poorly that these apps disappear again I won't care- because I'll probably be gone too.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I find the less I think about this crap the happier I am. If banking apps are coming back with Windows 10, that's all I particularly care about. If Windows 10 for phones still does so poorly that these apps disappear again I won't care- because I'll probably be gone too.

Not the most pleasant thought, but probably the most logical way to look at it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps but I doubt it. He talked about USAGE RATES as the reason it was pulled. Not government regs Perhaps you yield a bit too much.
"There is a simple answer to this question. They did not want to invest any more money in the existing Windows 8 versions due to low usage numbers. Due to security concerns they where not able to leave them in the store either, so they removed them.

They will give Windows 10 a chance but don't think that this is forever. If the usage rates of the apps don't raise with Windows 10 they apps will be removed again."
I'll stand on my earlier comment.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps but I doubt it. He talked about USAGE RATES as the reason it was pulled. Not government regs Perhaps you yield a bit too much.
"There is a simple answer to this question. They did not want to invest any more money in the existing Windows 8 versions due to low usage numbers. Due to security concerns they where not able to leave them in the store either, so they removed them.

They will give Windows 10 a chance but don't think that this is forever. If the usage rates of the apps don't raise with Windows 10 they apps will be removed again."
I'll stand on my earlier comment.
It sounds like both of you might be right. Perhaps the banks had low usage rates of the apps, so they did not wish to keep those apps updated to comply with regulations.

I don't have accounts with Chase, BoA, Wells Fargo, or any other banks that pulled Windows Phone apps. However, I do have accounts with two banks that never had Windows Phone apps but have Android apps. Just for curiosity, I'll check and see how often my banks update their Android apps.

Dark_Shroud

May 3, 2014
Visit site
If these places don't want to update actual apps then put a web app in place. So it can use their mobile site that gets updated as needed and everyone would be happy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro