Continuum for Phones [seemingly] will be available on current Lumias[?] (video)

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Check this out, guys. Am I misunderstanding, or is Gino saying that current Lumias will be able to run Continuum for phones? Because Joe Belfiore seemed to imply that new hardware was required, so phones such as the Lumia 930 wouldn't be able to make use of this feature. But in this video, it's stated that all that is needed is a Miracast device.

Check out the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=261&v=FdzbXo38onQ

Marcelo Velazquez

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that continuum will require new hardware capable of running dual screen scenarios, something not present on actual phones. But an update to Windows in the future will give legacy devices the capability of mirroring their screen through miracast, but similar to the continuum experience

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that continuum will require new hardware capable of running dual screen scenarios, something not present on actual phones. But an update to Windows in the future will give legacy devices the capability of mirroring their screen through miracast, but similar to the continuum experience

So, if I understand correctly, current Lumias will be able to use apps on a separate screen, scaled up to look like PC apps (but the phone cannot be used while doing this), whereas new Lumia phones will be able to use both the screen and the phone to do different things?

Sorry if I've misunderstood you!

Marcelo Velazquez

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
So, if I understand correctly, current Lumias will be able to use apps on a separate screen, scaled up to look like PC apps (but the phone cannot be used while doing this), whereas new Lumia phones will be able to use both the screen and the phone to do different things?

Sorry if I've misunderstood you!

That's how I understood!. Sorry, I'm not that good at expressing my ideas. Not a native speaker 😃

Rockartisten

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
In that video he is running it on a Lumia 1520. Snapdragon 800 phones will support continuum proven by the video itself. Forget what Joe said on pr video, a live demo says it all.

Rockartisten

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it looks like a 930. But who knows, I guess we'll have to wait and see. The Surface with a Tegra chip can drive two screens, so I don't see why Snapdragon 800 wouldn't.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, looks like Gabe Aul has definitively stated that continuum will require next gen hardware.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, looks like Gabe Aul has definitively stated that continuum will require next gen hardware.

Looks like I'll be having to get new next gen hardware. I'll start saving now, so I can afford something really nice after the 1st of the new year. Perhaps I'll give it a few extra months just to make sure the kinks are worked out first.

I'm ready to replace my laptop already. I wonder how long it will take to get a "laptop shell" on the market that will let me hook my phone up to it? You know, the type of shell that is just a display, keyboard and touchpad? Okay, and battery, of course.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Belfiore stated clearly that this requires new hardware that supports multiple screens. It was a 'simulation' i.e. PowerPoint slides or such and he was following a script. If you watched closely, you see he didn't actually do any interaction and the screens popped up instantly. It was a demo of something that doesn't yet exist. Unlike the Cortana demo where it missed what he said because he spoke too soon before the beep.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Soooooo.... Basically there won't be a W10 that's the same through all phones.

It was stated that all 8.1 devices will receive the free update to W10.... Yet this feature of W10 is only for new devices that will come after W10 is released.

It was understood that lower end devices wouldn't get all the bells and whistles while the higher end / mid range phones would get the full experience of W10.... Yet now it looks like we're going to have another Windows Phone 7.8 & 8 experience.

All existing WP users will get the Windows 10 (7.8) experience while anybody who gets a new phone after Windows 10 is released will get the Windows 10 (8/8.1) experience.

This also means that the 640 & 640XL also missed the boat for Continuum.

If indeed true, then that's certainly unfortunate. I was hoping my 930 would hold up to the full W10 experience.

Hell even if my screen shuts down and only can use the TV / Monitor to display what I need to do, would be good enough for me. If there is a phone call, automatically switch back to the phone's screen.... Otherwise everything else can be done on the TV/Monitor.

tungah

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hell even if my screen shuts down and only can use the TV / Monitor to display what I need to do, would be good enough for me. If there is a phone call, automatically switch back to the phone's screen.... Otherwise everything else can be done on the TV/Monitor.

That will probably be the case, by the video I've seen from the Microsoft presentation. Chill. 😉

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Probably new hardware is required to do EVERYTHING in Continuum but it may be available as a light version for some existing phones.

From everything I've seen and heard, when they say new hardware is needed that could mean something as minor as you have to have an HDMI port to connect to a screen via HDMI. Duh. But it miracast works with old phones, I could live with that and may even prefer that.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

It was stated that all 8.1 devices will receive the free update to W10.... Yet this feature of W10 is only for new devices that will come after W10 is released.

It was understood that lower end devices wouldn't get all the bells and whistles while the higher end / mid range phones would get the full experience of W10.... Yet now it looks like we're going to have another Windows Phone 7.8 & 8 experience.

All existing WP users will get the Windows 10 (7.8) experience while anybody who gets a new phone after Windows 10 is released will get the Windows 10 (8/8.1) experience.

If indeed true, then that's certainly unfortunate. I was hoping my 930 would hold up to the full W10 experience.

Ridiculous!!! You're NOT getting WP7.8. The hardware in Lumia 930 simply isn't capable of what they demoed. That's why you won't be getting it as you saw. About 7.8: WP7.8 was the LAST update WP7 devices got. Win10 is NOT the last update your Lumia 930 will be getting. Even if you own a flagship, don't assume you'll get all the same features as the next year's flagship. Your current flagship becomes midrange when the next flagship comes. It's like iPhone 5s users wanting Apple Pay.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

It's one of the big drawbacks of technology; how quick it progresses . If Microsoft wants to implement new features to improve and evolve Windows, then at some point they have to stop making new features cater for existing phones, and start making new phones that cater for those new features.

I can't see all new W10 phones getting this either, though; even if the 640/640XL were released after W10's release, I'd imagine their price point would mean that the high-end technology needed for Continuum wouldn't have been used, or at least not in the 640 - the 640XL may have stood a chance.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for bringing this topic back from the dead, but I would like to ask if by "new hardware" they were just inferring that you needed to buy an accessory like the one just leaked in an FCC filing codenamed Munchkin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss