WP 10 Flagship next year? WTF

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Many are ready for upgrades or need upgrades but with consumers like me on att....there's only 2 phones to choose from, a budget phone and a mid level that's it! Apple at least has 2 high end! And androids are every where all shapes and sizes. Unfortunately for me my phones broke and don't know to buy now when flagships are on the horizon but they've been much needed for while now.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Many are ready for upgrades or need upgrades but with consumers like me on att....there's only 2 phones to choose from, a budget phone and a mid level that's it! Apple at least has 2 high end! And androids are every where all shapes and sizes. Unfortunately for me my phones broke and don't know to buy now when flagships are on the horizon but they've been much needed for while now.
Just get the low end one.

Luckily Lumia devices didn't suffered great amount of performance gap between high and low end devices

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Problem is, every analyst report you can get your hands on is quite clear on the state of market saturation in the US.
Add in Apple's annual offering ​at that time of year and you have to wonder why they bother with it.
If they're in the game to increase market share, then US Autumn is the wrong time. In the wrong place.
If they're trying to clean up the low-end market, US Autumn is the wrong time. In the wrong place.
If it's about creating hype and a halo-effect device, US Autumn is the wrong time. In the wrong place.
Without knowing what the strategy (if any!) MS has around an OS for phone hardware, it's hard to know which game they're going to suck hardest at.

I don't know how it works for this market, but I do know the music industry and the music industry always loved autumn. It's less the case now that people's spending habits have changed and they're less likely to buy physical media, but traditionally Sept/Oct was the time when labels were most keen to put out important records. The games industry still loves that period. People's summers are over, students are spending their newly-acquired debt, Christmas is coming to pick up the tail on whatever's been of interest in the previous few months, and anybody looking to buy a gift for themselves had better get that done before Christmas too.

Do they have anything to lose by going up against the iPhone? There's no question of beating it, so there's no shame in "losing" a fight that never really happened. It's not as if people forget about the iPhone the rest of the year; it's always there looming over the market, so you're always looking for the customer who doesn't want the iPhone to notice you instead of Android. WP has the advantage that it looks like a family of handsets with a few extremely similar relatives, whereas the Androids have greater variety but suffer slightly from being so disparate. As a Windows Phone customer, wouldn't it be quite an attractive proposition to have a new flagship WP in your pocket at the same time that every iPhone user is proudly showing off their phone?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Because it happened with WINDOWS 8.1. The desktop OS was released in October and the mobile OS was released next year in April. I suspected, that they might do the same with Windows 10 too

Your fear was debunked already.....look up......OS End of July (This Year), Mobile about 6 weeks after.

So no The may not do that again.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Because it happened with WINDOWS 8.1. The desktop OS was released in October and the mobile OS was released next year in April. I suspected, that they might do the same with Windows 10 too

This makes no sense though. Look at your thread title. Look how you said "according to this article", which said no such thing. Look at how Windows 10 is a completely different prospect, as regards integration of the phone OS and the desktop OS.

You came up with an idea by yourself, and then you said "WTF" to your own idea.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Apple has been releasing new phones in September so I'm sure MS has some kind of strategy relating to this. Admittedly, I don't know whether it's beneficial to release new Lumias before or after Apple dominates the headlines for a week or so (which is inevitable). Samsung sure hasn't figured that one out. :grin:

The interesting thing here is that Apple is only rumored to be releasing the 6S with the same form profile which implies there just isn't enough new "orgasmic" tech to call it a 7. (Just some major camera changes perhaps). The more I think about it, Maybe MS should wait until after the lackluster introduction of the 6S to present any of their new flagships because many are waiting to see what Apple does first anyway. I certainly wouldn't give Apple the last word in this phone cycle.

Regardless, I think the spacing of MS offerings is necessary if not just to milk them for all they can. There's just too many major products coming up including the Surface Pro 4.

But what the hell do I know?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's denying it's even got a phone-manufacturing business anymore, and it's hard to see how it would benefit them to lie. Maybe they've got some R&D, but I doubt they're ready for making phones, let alone Windows phones.

The notion of an end of July Win10 release is actually the best-supported rumour we have. Unless MS overruns this date for other reasons, there's no reason to suppose the CEO reading a carefully prepared report would make a mistake on the fly: AMD may have revealed Windows 10 launch date in earnings call - Industry - News - HEXUS.net

Nokia kept the whole R&D out from the MS deal. That said i doubt they would start to make phones again, why would they? No one is doing well with phones, except AAPL of course. The N1 way makes more sense. However Nokia might do something that's new technology, that would make sense.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I am going to re post a comment that I made at the start of the Build conference when there was no mention of what type of flagship device MS might or might not be working on... "If they had something any where near ready to announce, I think they would be so full of themselves over it that they wouldn't be able to keep it a secret. There isn't any reason that I can think of not to mention it if they were truly working on and committed to a quality flagship type advice. I think if they ever release anything like that it will not be this year. "
All you have to do is research what their track record is regarding the amount of time between when they announce a new phone and the amount of time it actually takes to get said phones into the hands of the consumers. Keep in mind that MS has yet to release ANY type of Flagship that they have developed themselves. I remain all in on the Windows platform for Mobile, but color me completely skeptical when it comes to their ability to develop and manufacture high end mobile hardware.

Ukscooter

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sitting here using a Lumia 930, great phone but I'm ready to upgrade. I'm holding out for the flagship device that has been mentioned. At my local Vodafone store they are saying that the Lumia 940 is the flagship phone coming. Personally I can't see it. Microsoft needs to release the killer phone. One that takes on the Galaxy S6, LG4 and iPhone 6. These are impressive phones, and with MS releasing all the major apps to these devices it makes keeping an allegiance to Windows Phone difficult. I want to stay with Windows Phone and the upcoming release of Windows 10, but they are making it difficult...

:smile:

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Black Friday and Christmas? Not so much a bad idea..
It's not a bad idea if they can avoid stock issues as well as having it release by end-October.
Yeah it is, the iphone 6s will come with 2GB of ram and the note 5 will probably come out with 4GB of ram/ 4k screen. Both will be release before late October. How could the Windows 10 flagships complete with those phones or at least get to 5% of the US market?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it is, the iphone 6s will come with 2GB of ram and the note 5 will probably come out with 4GB of ram/ 4k screen. Both will be release before late October. How could the Windows 10 flagships complete with those phones or at least get to 5% of the US market?

If RAM is the only factor, then the 930/1520 must be destroying the iPhone 6/6+ right? There's more than just raw spec count, although its a plus.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If RAM is the only factor, then the 930/1520 must be destroying the iPhone 6/6+ right?
What? I never said RAM is not the only factor, and you know this. We all know what the iphone/IOS 8.whatever brings to the table. So, there was no need to bring that up in that paragraph you quoted. Kinda self-explanatory, imo.
There's more than just raw spec count, although its a plus.
Yes, of course, but in the case of the Iphone 6s, raw spec count will improve IOS9 experience dramatically. As for the note 5, not so much, but then, again high specs were & still is a huge selling point for android phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre