Host Card Emulation / NFC Payments - Newer Devices Only

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
(Project Spartan sucks for this forum and lost my post, so I apologize if my post skips some stuff that I forgot to say the second time around).

The talk itself isn't posted yet, but I was looking at the slides posted for a Build talk that seemed interesting to me about NFC and Host Card Emulation. (The first half of the talk was about retail point-of-sale stuff, but I don't care about that.)

New Retail Peripherals and NFC/HCE Support in Windows 10 | Build 2015 | Channel 9

For those who don't know, Host Card Emulation is what Android / Google Wallet uses for their system these days, instead of the secure element SIM-based system that Softcard used on Windows Phone 8.1. Again, the talk isn't posted yet, but it seems really clear that Microsoft's payments solution is being done through this now. Any developer can write an app that uses HCE and therefore is used as part of the tap-to-pay system. (What we don't know is if Microsoft will have an overarching one for major credit cards, or if they expect Amex et al to have their own apps that do this).

Good news so far. However, the last slide I noticed has a link to a Technet article about writing HCE apps.

How to write an NFC Host Card Emulation (HCE) app with Windows 10 for Mobile - NFC Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Here's the biggest issue.

Windows Phone 10 with NFC HCE support (730/830/640/640XL …)

Support for HCE and AID-based UICC routing is only available on specific recently launched devices (such as the Lumia 730/830/640/640XL etc).

Doesn't say anything there about the 930 or 1520 either. I'd hope that they have support, but I'm not so sure. One thing that does make clear is that those of us with slightly older flagships (my 1020 for example) will be completely left out again.

Edit: Just noticed that the video for the talk IS available at the bottom, just not yet embedded. Watching it now.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Watched most of the video, and it doesn't really change my understanding of things. They don't go into detail at all on which devices will support it. They just say something along the lines of "most newer devices that support NFC".

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm so happy I waited for the 735, it's soo windows 10 ready

I hope the 735 does support Microsoft's future tap and pay solution. With Microsoft; you never know what is going to happen until it is release out in the marketplace! I crossing my fingers on this; but not believing until it is in writing and in the national media.

​Check my Windows Phone 8.1 and just has the NFC off/on and no settings so that maybe in Windows Mobile 10?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss