05-14-2015 04:38 AM
47 12
tools
    All my techie friends agreed Spartan was a much cooler name. It falls in line with the Halo references around Cortana and such in Windows already. Edge is just a 'meh' name. You could be worse, or better.
    05-09-2015 06:54 AM
    Did you notice the public vote on this site, in which 60% said they found the name fine and/or loved it? Poll results: Microsoft Edge name has its fans, but so does Spartan | Windows Central
    look at the results again, wp stacked them to seem more positive than they are.

"love it" was the only true positive response, all the others were negative, unless "it's ok" and "sparten was better" us the new benchmark for user appreciation responses.
    05-09-2015 07:04 AM
    If they had named Spartan the percentage would have been much better.
    People's mind is like this e means internet explorer
    Yes. So logically they could have made the most people happy by naming it Epartan.
    05-09-2015 09:46 AM
    I think that if someone say "Still the best browser for download Google Chrome" to unreleased product and it has 25k likes, it is worth a mention.
    That's the problem with social media. People assign it too much weight. Everybody loves a smart mouth on teh interwebz but real world is absolutely and completely different.

I'll use what I use based on my own criteria and not care one whit what some smart mouth on twit book thought was a clever and funny comment (and he is just parroting from ten years ago anyway)...

It's about perspective and finding the proper priority to assign things. This "threat" is not one at all, it is simply more of the same juvenile behavior that tries to get your attention as you fly down the information highway. Sensible people learn not to pull in and gawk at such antics.
    ajayden, xibartx, DCTF and 3 others like this.
    05-09-2015 11:07 AM
    IE has become a good browser that just has a bad rep. People won't care because they will know windows 10 is a redesign. If you get something new, you want to try all of it's features. No one will get Windows 10 and download Chrome right away, they will use Edge until they become dissatisfied by something it does.

Yah the logo does not look good at all but my guess is it will get more polished.

The word Spartan is definitely nice as it is associated with strength and speed and no vulnerabilities. But my guess is that most of the users out there install windows and look for the e. Not everyone in the world is tech savvy.

Maybe they couldn't make a cool logo with spartan. But They could have used a shield and 2 swords or something haha.
    05-09-2015 11:07 AM
    look at the results again, wp stacked them to seem more positive than they are.

"love it" was the only true positive response, all the others were negative, unless "it's ok" and "sparten was better" us the new benchmark for user appreciation responses.
    "It's OK" is a positive response, and "I love it" is a warmer one. Together they add up to the majority of responses. It's simply not true that the majority want it changed.
    05-09-2015 02:50 PM
    Yes. So logically they could have made the most people happy by naming it Epartan.
    I kinda like Spedge...
    05-09-2015 10:01 PM
    Working in retail and selling phones, computers, and software to the majority market whom this is all marketed to. They all resoundingly hate IE. In fact they all ask when buying a new computer if it comes with Firefox or chrome. Microsoft may have kept it an E and made it blue for brand recognition and to keep it distinct from other browsers, but the connotations surrounding it will always be negative. Even after telling my customers that IE has come a long way and has more security and usability than previous versions, they look at me like I'm lying. When I ask them why they won't use it, they usually give me the, "Someone trustworthy told me to use X product, so that's what I'll use, you can't convince me otherwise" spiel. So the only real way to get the general public to positively view Edge, is to not name it edge, and get the arm chair techies who dole out the advice to use other browsers to like the new browser. Naming it Spartan or something else that doesn't start with E, and distancing it from the legacy IE should have been step one. Leave it to Microsoft to screw up the marketing for a great product once again. They really should steal employees from Apples PR and marketing group.
    Blade800 likes this.
    05-09-2015 11:28 PM
    I work for a company that sells a browser-based service and we have the most problems when people are using IE. We ask them to try Firefox or Chrome and things usually work correctly.
    05-10-2015 07:37 AM
    It should have been named Espartan or Esparta. Too late now.
    05-10-2015 09:30 AM
    I work for a company that sells a browser-based service and we have the most problems when people are using IE. We ask them to try Firefox or Chrome and things usually work correctly.
    ​Well you shouldnt have any with Edge right?
    05-10-2015 12:12 PM
    i wonder if bing street side works on edge without silverlight accessories?

(just realized a few more poor choices for names)
    05-10-2015 08:17 PM
    Our PC repair department often tries Firefox or Chrome when customers have a problem with something not working correctly in IE, and it usually works. Often it's a video embedded in a webpage that won't play, or some kind of rendering issue.
    05-10-2015 08:27 PM
    All this hate for poor IE.

Can't tell you how many years it's been with me. Has it gotten worse? Debatable. Of course I don't expect it to mow the lawn, neuter the cat or wipe my arse. It just gets me where I need to go.

Maybe it's just time to move on to Edge, get on with life and ignore what the mean lil' kiddies say about the new logo. That won't change how it runs or how it's coded. I suspect there will be plenty of favorable benchmarks coming when compared to Chrome and FireFox (version 335).
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-12-2015 09:21 PM
    "It's OK" is a positive response, and "I love it" is a warmer one. Together they add up to the majority of responses. It's simply not true that the majority want it changed.
    rose colored glasses ?
    F3rzz likes this.
    05-13-2015 06:35 AM
    rose colored glasses ?
    Ikr, what a mess.

______
    I've been using internet explorer as my primary browser for quite some time... And there's a lot of things missing that i really really love and use constantly on others:

- right clicking an image and copy URL
    - right clicking an image and open in new tab
    - right clicking an image an clicking image reverse search.
    - clicking the fav icon and fav something and be done, not editing for It to respond and open the pop up windows to click save.
    - if It crashes, a lot of the times It won't restore the tabs i had opened. Sometimes It would open tabs closed long ago, i mean, what It's this mess.
    - even if It doesn't crash and i closed It normally, the same mess will happen.
    - my favs are a huge unorganisable (after the fact) mess, i haven't found a way to show all my folders together, maybe that's just my shortsightedness...
    - if i see a "http://www.mess.com/seriously?" I can't drag through It, right click and choose open in new tab... Instead I have to drag throughit, right click and choose copy, open a new tab, paste, click enter, wait and get back to where i was... Usually searching throughout a tedious unreadable list of tabs, because i didn't want to check the new page out immediately... Seriously what a mess...
    05-13-2015 07:38 AM
    rose colored glasses ?
    It's just the name of a browser; is it really so hard to believe that people would accept MS's choice happily enough, and not treat it as a battleground for demanding minor cosmetic changes?

At least it's data of some kind, and as I keep saying, I wouldn't rely on data from one site for a complete picture. I don't really care what MS calls its browser, but I do understand the sense in maintaining one of MS's most recognisable brands (perhaps the most recognisable MS brand, since it's probably recognisable to a broader range of age demographics than XBox) besides Windows itself.

However, all you're doing is confirming your own biases. You've seen people complaining, you've weighted those comments very heavily, and you've convinced yourself that you represent a majority.
    05-13-2015 08:58 AM
    I think that if someone say "Still the best browser for download Google Chrome" to unreleased product and it has 25k likes, it is worth a mention.
    There's also a picture of a fat cat on the internet that can haz cheezburger. It also has many likes.

Many likes doesn't make something important.
    RumoredNow and tgp like this.
    05-13-2015 09:22 AM
    if you don't listen ...you end up on 9gag clickbait?...crap, fell for it again....<head slap>
    05-13-2015 06:39 PM
    It's just the name of a browser; is it really so hard to believe that people would accept MS's choice happily enough, and not treat it as a battleground for demanding minor cosmetic changes?

At least it's data of some kind, and as I keep saying, I wouldn't rely on data from one site for a complete picture. I don't really care what MS calls its browser, but I do understand the sense in maintaining one of MS's most recognisable brands (perhaps the most recognisable MS brand, since it's probably recognisable to a broader range of age demographics than XBox) besides Windows itself.

However, all you're doing is confirming your own biases. You've seen people complaining, you've weighted those comments very heavily, and you've convinced yourself that you represent a majority.
    i expected someone to mention "chrome" as a really poor choice, i would agree with that.

always thought internet explorer was a great name. it conveys what it is and does very well. to bad Microsoft let it loaf and become a bad word instead of the go to portal to the world.
    05-13-2015 08:15 PM
    Thanks for sharing..............................

raza
    05-13-2015 11:05 PM
    if you don't listen ...you end up on 9gag clickbait?...crap, fell for it again....<head slap>
    It doesnt matter if the site sucks for you, its irrelevant. There are millions of people visiting that site and they are bashing edge cause it already resembles IE with logo. This way I am not seeing Edge getting any better attention than IE.
    05-14-2015 04:38 AM
47 12