And this is what you get when you dont listen..

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
In my not so humble opinion, I think Microsoft should use another color tone for the logo instead of the traditional blue...

The "e" would keep the "non-tech" users understand that it's the browser, and at the same time symbolize a change from the old IE for the "tech" ones

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen as I used to teach basic IT to the tech illiterate in my neighbourhood, the average person doesn't care what browser they use, as long they can use something to access the internet - It's fine.

I used to set a different browser as a default and keep a shortcut on the desktop labeled "Internet". At one point I kept IE (IE 11) as the default with the shortcut with the firefox icon, then with the Chrome icon & so on - when asked about the UI - I would just tell them it was a new beta update and that they were replicating the UI of another browser :winktongue: as a sort of A/B testing.

Yes, some caught me out and when caught I'd explain (which was true) that I'm just gearing them up for what ever browser their kids / the admin sets as the default browser. The most didn't think to much of the browsers at all as it was just a means to an end. Needless to say after awhile they caught on it was the same browser with a different logo :grin:.

If either Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari (yes you can download Safari and use it on Windows), Opera is set as the default browser and no other browser is visible - people will use it.

However people go by referrals or what they hear from their friends & families "Firefox is good, use that", "use Reed, that's a good site for job hunting", "don't watch this so and so movie it's utter crap" and so on.

In regards to the teens they are more susceptible to blogs and vbloggers.

Which is why the best form of marketing is the word of mouth.

Anyway, a couple of days I decided to do some research since i've got nothing but time most days so I took asked 50 teenagers and 50 adults in my neighbourhood.

The overwhelming majority used firefox, followed by Chrome, then Opera and then IE as it is just there when it came to the teens.

When asked what was so bad about IE: they just heard it was bad and extension support was another, when I told them about TPL none of them knew that feature existed :grincry:. The more I explained about Edge and showed them that you could take notes on a web page the collective response was "woah that is siiiiccck dude!" (as in pretty damn cool).

I admit I did take the opportunity to shamelessly sell the surface, the writeit app by Lenovo, threw in some videos of Hololens & the demo of continuum on phone for good measure. The funny thing was that all them commented how lacking the ipad was and that it was only good for oaps (old aged pensioners).

The adults were a more interesting bunch, the group I selected was 50+ (basically retired) being careful not to choose those who I taught in the past and they pretty much said they used what their kids told them was good. When it came to IE - they heard it was bad that's why they didn't use it. 20 - 49 was disregarded as most of them would have used IE at work and their responses would have been clouded by the stigma of the less than "joyful experience" of using older versions of IE.

So yeah a lot of people bad mouth IE because of what they heard, if you really push people they will tell you that haven't used IE at all and some I've come across said that they have been using firefox since the late 90s (firefox didn't exist then lol).

tldr: once people start to see adverts of the advanced features of Edge - Note taking, reading lists, Cortana integration - the name & logo won't matter.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the design here. I have no issues with the name or logos. If the desktop and task bar logos can change colour according to theme, I would love it.
Edge.png

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
All my techie friends agreed Spartan was a much cooler name. It falls in line with the Halo references around Cortana and such in Windows already. Edge is just a 'meh' name. You could be worse, or better.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that if someone say "Still the best browser for download Google Chrome" to unreleased product and it has 25k likes, it is worth a mention.

That's the problem with social media. People assign it too much weight. Everybody loves a smart mouth on teh interwebz but real world is absolutely and completely different.

I'll use what I use based on my own criteria and not care one whit what some smart mouth on twit book thought was a clever and funny comment (and he is just parroting from ten years ago anyway)...

It's about perspective and finding the proper priority to assign things. This "threat" is not one at all, it is simply more of the same juvenile behavior that tries to get your attention as you fly down the information highway. Sensible people learn not to pull in and gawk at such antics.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
IE has become a good browser that just has a bad rep. People won't care because they will know windows 10 is a redesign. If you get something new, you want to try all of it's features. No one will get Windows 10 and download Chrome right away, they will use Edge until they become dissatisfied by something it does.

Yah the logo does not look good at all but my guess is it will get more polished.

The word Spartan is definitely nice as it is associated with strength and speed and no vulnerabilities. But my guess is that most of the users out there install windows and look for the e. Not everyone in the world is tech savvy.

Maybe they couldn't make a cool logo with spartan. But They could have used a shield and 2 swords or something haha.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
look at the results again, wp stacked them to seem more positive than they are.

"love it" was the only true positive response, all the others were negative, unless "it's ok" and "sparten was better" us the new benchmark for user appreciation responses.

"It's OK" is a positive response, and "I love it" is a warmer one. Together they add up to the majority of responses. It's simply not true that the majority want it changed.

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Working in retail and selling phones, computers, and software to the majority market whom this is all marketed to. They all resoundingly hate IE. In fact they all ask when buying a new computer if it comes with Firefox or chrome. Microsoft may have kept it an E and made it blue for brand recognition and to keep it distinct from other browsers, but the connotations surrounding it will always be negative. Even after telling my customers that IE has come a long way and has more security and usability than previous versions, they look at me like I'm lying. When I ask them why they won't use it, they usually give me the, "Someone trustworthy told me to use X product, so that's what I'll use, you can't convince me otherwise" spiel. So the only real way to get the general public to positively view Edge, is to not name it edge, and get the arm chair techies who dole out the advice to use other browsers to like the new browser. Naming it Spartan or something else that doesn't start with E, and distancing it from the legacy IE should have been step one. Leave it to Microsoft to screw up the marketing for a great product once again. They really should steal employees from Apples PR and marketing group.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I work for a company that sells a browser-based service and we have the most problems when people are using IE. We ask them to try Firefox or Chrome and things usually work correctly.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
i wonder if bing street side works on edge without silverlight accessories?

(just realized a few more poor choices for names)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I work for a company that sells a browser-based service and we have the most problems when people are using IE. We ask them to try Firefox or Chrome and things usually work correctly.

Our PC repair department often tries Firefox or Chrome when customers have a problem with something not working correctly in IE, and it usually works. Often it's a video embedded in a webpage that won't play, or some kind of rendering issue.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
All this hate for poor IE. :cry:

Can't tell you how many years it's been with me. Has it gotten worse? Debatable. Of course I don't expect it to mow the lawn, neuter the cat or wipe my arse. It just gets me where I need to go.

Maybe it's just time to move on to Edge, get on with life and ignore what the mean lil' kiddies say about the new logo. That won't change how it runs or how it's coded. I suspect there will be plenty of favorable benchmarks coming when compared to Chrome and FireFox (version 335).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs