Will there be proper apps for Google applications in Windows 10 for phones?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't forgotten anything. Read my previous post.

3% is only on the phone version of Windows but you need to remember that now when Windows 10 is released, all apps will work across devices which mean that 3% for Windows Phone will increase when users noticed that their favorite desktop app work the same way on Windows Phone 10.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
3% is only on the phone version of Windows but you need to remember that now when Windows 10 is released, all apps will work across devices which mean that 3% for Windows Phone will increase when users noticed that their favorite desktop app work the same way on Windows Phone 10.

I'm starting to wonder if anyone reads these days or just sticks to one line a post? Yes I know the 3% is for WP.... I'm not dumb. Yes I know there are many people on Windows.

Tell me something. If I'm a mobile developer. Convince me it's a good idea to develop for W10. Explain to me what I'm getting out of it. What benefit. Why should I?

Can you prove to me it's worth it?

Answer me this, do you use W8.1? Do you use store apps? How many?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if anyone reads these days or just sticks to one line a post? Yes I know the 3% is for WP.... I'm not dumb. Yes I know there are many people on Windows.

Tell me something. If I'm a mobile developer. Convince me it's a good idea to develop for W10. Explain to me what I'm getting out of it. What benefit. Why should I?

I know what you mean and I understand. If you was a developer that develop apps for Windows desktop or mobile... The most important thing is obviously that one app will work for all devices. So less effort from you and more benefits in the long way. It is worth it because the market share will increase, not immediately but in the next year.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I know what you mean and I understand. If you was a developer that develop apps for Windows desktop or mobile... The most important thing is obviously that one app will work for all devices. So less effort from you and more benefits in the long way. It is worth it because the market share will increase, not immediately but in the next year.

You have no proof of that at all. That's speculation. You're wanting me to spend money on the possibility of that?

At this moment in time you haven't offered anything that appeals to me to develop for W10. So I won't make an app. I can develop on Android and Apple and have an app that works on tablets and phones. Their mobile market share is 97%.

Convince me having desktop apps is worthwhile and that it will benefit me and I'll change my mind. What will I gain having a desktop app other than speculative numbers? Prove to me that the numbers are there in the first place. Will my app be in the Windows Store? Is the Store well used? What's the numbers now? What kind of profits do people make in the Windows Store? What's your prediction for W10 uptake in the next year? How many people do you see using universal apps? What are the numbers for W10 phones? Do you see that increasing in the next year? Why?

Do you get my point yet?

Raj Poladia

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
My personal views on this topic is, Google is Afraid of Microsoft, reasons are:
1. Microsoft's first moto is the security of customers using their services, and all of us know how secured google services are.
2. If they would give their services on Microsoft platforms then no one will ever choose android unless and until customizations are more important than security for users, this will indirectly effect the android user base of Google.
I don't think so that corporates have dropped BB and switched to android, I've seen that corporates now a days give windows phone to their employees or and iPhone, rarely I see corporates using Android as their primary phone for their job.
Even when I bought the windows phone I felt that is little complicated because of absence of google services but now I am comfortable and now I don't even use Google search on PC.the only google service I use is YouTube and there are good third party apps for that and I like it. So I personally don't think that google services are that important.

Raj Poladia

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

I personally use most of apps from store, tens of apps.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Your thoughts are absolutely true for small development studios or single developers whos product is the app itself. If my income is the app itself or the money earned through adds inside the app Windows 10 itself is no point on its own to develop for it until the market share numbers raise. For bigger businesses like financial services, public transportation and so on apps are not their product but simply a kind of service to their customers. For them Windows 10 has the big benefit of accessing more people at once. The development costs are reduced drastically and therefore disappear in the marketing budget. For me personally I don't need games or stuff where the app itself is the product for the developer. I am missing some service apps and therefore I have the hope that W10 will bring a few of them in the MS ecosystem.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My personal views on this topic is, Google is Afraid of Microsoft, reasons are:
1. Microsoft's first moto is the security of customers using their services, and all of us know how secured google services are.
2. If they would give their services on Microsoft platforms then no one will ever choose android unless and until customizations are more important than security for users, this will indirectly effect the android user base of Google.
I don't think so that corporates have dropped BB and switched to android, I've seen that corporates now a days give windows phone to their employees or and iPhone, rarely I see corporates using Android as their primary phone for their job.
Even when I bought the windows phone I felt that is little complicated because of absence of google services but now I am comfortable and now I don't even use Google search on PC.the only google service I use is YouTube and there are good third party apps for that and I like it. So I personally don't think that google services are that important.

I work in a very large company. I cannot connect a WP to my WiFi network but I can connect an iPhone or Android device.

As for Google being worried about MS, I don't think that is the case here. It's smart business to keep your competitors in check. If MS markets are high enough I think Google would consider it or lose possibility of profits. At this moment in time MS is no threat to Google in that regard.

As a mobile OS, there is nothing wrong with Android with security features and all OS providers gather information. Whether you want to believe that or not.

I also said Android and iPhone. I've only heard of a few WP uptakes. Very few. Maybe in other countries but not here and I doubt in the US.

Everyone has choice and there's nothing wrong with it. If you're happy in a Google free world that's fine. Others want some or all of those services because MS does not cover enough areas.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For bigger businesses like financial services, public transportation and so on apps are not their product but simply a kind of service to their customers. For them Windows 10 has the big benefit of accessing more people at once. The development costs are reduced drastically and therefore disappear in the marketing budget. For me personally I don't need games or stuff where the app itself is the product for the developer. I am missing some service apps and therefore I have the hope that W10 will bring a few of them in the MS ecosystem.

Just my two cents.

And yet many banks have pulled their apps from WP... On desktop I can use a web browser to access everything why do I need an app?

Same goes for other services. Most use the browser. What benefits are there in an app? I'm trying to see why it's worth spending money on developing an app for W10. So far I'm not getting any.

I'm all for the idea of universal apps. I'm all for the idea of Continuum. I'm just taking a developer point of view here. I'm trying to remove people's rose tinted glasses. It's all great stuff but how do you see this attracting developers?

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
On desktop I can use a web browser to access everything why do I need an app?

The same is true for Mac OS and Chrome OS so why is anybody developing apps anyway? With modern responsive webdesign there would be no need to develop an app for iOS or Android either but people are doing it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The same is true for Mac OS and Chrome OS so why is anybody developing apps anyway? With modern responsive webdesign there would be no need to develop an app for iOS or Android either but people are doing it.

That's because of market share and people like the experiences of apps and the mobile platform was out first. They're used to the idea. Also a lot of websites are way off being responsive or mobile ready.

On Windows Desktop people are used to going into a web browser to access things online. This is one of the reasons why so many people had issues with Windows 8/8.1. They just didn't see the point of using an app. They understood programs but apps seemed to confuse them.

I know the idea behind W10 is supposed to fix that confusion but at this time why should a developer make an app? Will it be worth it? Is it worth it? Will the average Windows user be interested?

Raj Poladia

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
From Windows App Store? Meaning Windows 8.1? If so you're one of the rare ones I think.

I too think I am from those rare people who use many apps from windows store (W8.1), ( Little out of the topic) but what I think is if developer choses to build apps for Windows they are not only doing so for only one group of people, if the make it universal then all Xbox community will enjoy their apps and all windows phone users too and even all tablet Laptop and PC users too. So even if developers don't think that their is no profit in developing for windows then according to me they are not at all interested in taking chance/risk or not to do something new. I personally like WP and as far as I know many people like it but don't chose it because of lac of google services, if developers take chance they will surely get the responses for their hard work people will buys their services here too....

amitkrc

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
How it qualify for net neutrality? I mean either Google should develop the apps for windows phone or it should release the necessary APIs to Microsoft. What do you think??

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
How it qualify for net neutrality? I mean either Google should develop the apps for windows phone or it should release the necessary APIs to Microsoft. What do you think??

APIs would be fine for most people but the issue is that APIs change and break things. There's also the issue of security breaches as we found with Snapchat.

So it's a bit tricky if you ask me.

Raj Poladia

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually that's the true issue, don't you guys feel by ignoring windows phone platform google is against net neutrality by forcing people not to choose windows platform if they want to enjoy their own services?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually that's the true issue, don't you guys feel by ignoring windows phone platform google is against net neutrality by forcing people not to choose windows platform if they want to enjoy their own services?

I think you misunderstand net neutrality. It's about IPS controlling content.

Also Google isn't an advocate of net neutrality. Neither is Nokia.

You can still use some of Google services on WP and you can use them on your desktop PC if you have one.

It would be an issue if your ISP/carrier blocked you from MS and only allowed Google forcing you to get an Android phone. That's where net neutrality comes in.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You have no proof of that at all. That's speculation. You're wanting me to spend money on the possibility of that?

So there's no point in having this conversation at all then, right? Come back in a year's time to have this chat if you want proof that anything's changed. Then one side can win and one can lose. If you won't accept any speculation or abstract thought, the topic is academic.

I think you've got some good points, but I suspect you're very unusual in only using one app. I don't think of myself as a person who uses a lot of apps and I try to keep my number down to preserve as much space as possible for 320kb/s music files, but my Store history says I've installed 212 apps from the store, and including the system apps I seem to have about 130 installed at the moment (gave up counting when I hit 100 somewhere in the Ns of my A-Z).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12