Win10 on L930: Stuck on loading startscreen

OwlPower

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Now that I got past the start screen problem, I just realized that the Spotify app crashes on load. No way! ... gotta have tunes. Firing up the recovery tool now to go back to 8.1.

grezmel

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
All working fine now that the apps have updated. For some reason it reinstalled all apps regardless of whether I had uninstalled them in the past......

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I encountered this issue on my 1520, resetting to factory settings fixed it, and dunno if I just had a one off bug, but the first time setup screen was blank aside from the emergency call and accept button, restarting the phone from there fixed that one.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Guys I did a hard reset and all is good. Just that I no longer have my ME tile and can't create folders by dropping an app on another app.

Dhileepudu Jambula

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Soft Reset did the trick for me...but do want to go back to 8.1 though as the "LOOK" is not that much rich, the Icons are bit blurred and much more...
Will be happy if everything looks rich like 8.1...

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Looks to me like the start screen loading issue is just a problem with migrating old apps on first run. Explains why some people are able to solve it by just letting it "load" for a while. Alternatively, a hard reset fixed it immediately for me, along with a few other issues.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Well I kept it loading over night hoping some background processing or drive encryption would be causing this(drive encryption was set to default) maybe in combination with the new feature of "hard reset lock for MS account" but it still just set on loading. Soft reset once or twice.
Looked through all settings. Battery Saver said that Settings is taking 100% of the battery(well its the only thing I could use)
Alarm worked, incoming calls worked. Cortana worked with strange letters though and project Spartan kind of worked as well

My device is a NL920 on EE. Went for the Hard reset now :(

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
What fixed the Loading... with a backup was while your phone is 'broken', go to settings via the notification center, go to backup and untoggle the apps backup. Now do a backup from your device.

This will lose your installed apps, but if you now do a hard reset and use that backup all the rest will still be put back in place except for your apps (which is most likely the cause of this mess).

Update: looks like the apps arent installed, but they are in the store but show as a failed installed. Strange.

Looks like this is the fix then:
1) While your phone is stuck on Loading... head over to the notification center and go to settings
2) Browse to settings > Update & security > Backup
3) Untoggle 'Backup my app data to OneDrive'
4) Tap on 'Change OneDrive backup settings'
5) Tap on 'Backup now' (sometimes it doesnt start immediately, a few taps/moments waiting should kickstart it, you'll know it started when the button is replaced by a progress bar)
6) When the backup is finished, do a hard reset
  • Power the device off
  • Press the power key once, device will vibrate
  • Immediately press and hold the Volume Down key
  • Exclamation point will appear, release Volume Down key
  • Press these buttons one at a time in this order: Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down
  • Device should vibrate, reboot, show the Nokia flash screen, and then go to the spinning gears install screen.
7) When it asks for the backup, choose the one you made
8) Wait for the restore to finish, then head over to the Store app (NOT the beta Store)
9) You'll see your old apps in the downloads section, they show as failed (in my case there were 54 apps).

From what I can see it's the start screen that keeps crashing and trying to restart over and over again. When a WP app crashes it closes and returns to the previous app (or start screen). This is exactly the case, it crashes and keeps going back to the previous app (the start screen), thus an infinte loop.

I found this by opening the settings, and then pressing the home button (so not closing the settings), The start screen opens with 'Loading...' but crashes so the phone goes back to the previous app (in this case, the settings app).

Ankit Gupta2

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
how can I hard reset, am not able to open action center, settings. even cortana, bing search is not coming. I am on L930. Only getting the volume rocker popup and am able to receive calls

I am now doing a hard reset as per instructions at end of this page
www[dot]windowsphone[dot]com/en-in/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/reset-my-phone

Last edited:

Jashan Goraya1

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
my Lumia920 was stuck on loading screen from 2 hours..
here is some trick which worked for me..
Go to Settings from Action center > Search Apps corner > Launch Apps Corners > Make a Quick Soft Reset (While its launching Apps Corner)
when phone Restarted after soft reset i got start screen back, Hope this works for all :)))

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What fixed the Loading... with a backup was while your phone is 'broken', go to settings via the notification center, go to backup and untoggle the apps backup. Now do a backup from your device.

This will lose your installed apps, but if you now do a hard reset and use that backup all the rest will still be put back in place except for your apps (which is most likely the cause of this mess).

Update: looks like the apps arent installed, but they are in the store but show as a failed installed. Strange.

Looks like this is the fix then:
1) While your phone is stuck on Loading... head over to the notification center and go to settings
2) Browse to settings > Update & security > Backup
3) Untoggle 'Backup my app data to OneDrive'
4) Tap on 'Change OneDrive backup settings'
5) Tap on 'Backup now' (sometimes it doesnt start immediately, a few taps/moments waiting should kickstart it, you'll know it started when the button is replaced by a progress bar)
6) When the backup is finished, do a hard reset
  • Power the device off
  • Press the power key once, device will vibrate
  • Immediately press and hold the Volume Down key
  • Exclamation point will appear, release Volume Down key
  • Press these buttons one at a time in this order: Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down
  • Device should vibrate, reboot, show the Nokia flash screen, and then go to the spinning gears install screen.
7) When it asks for the backup, choose the one you made
8) Wait for the restore to finish, then head over to the Store app (NOT the beta Store)
9) You'll see your old apps in the downloads section, they show as failed (in my case there were 54 apps).

From what I can see it's the start screen that keeps crashing and trying to restart over and over again. When a WP app crashes it closes and returns to the previous app (or start screen). This is exactly the case, it crashes and keeps going back to the previous app (the start screen), thus an infinte loop.

I found this by opening the settings, and then pressing the home button (so not closing the settings), The start screen opens with 'Loading...' but crashes so the phone goes back to the previous app (in this case, the settings app).

Thanks, I'll try this and post with the results

OK, backup didn't work (progress bar didn't move), I'm just doing a hard reset now..

Update: All is fine after hard reset

Last edited:

Gunzta

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
After installing W10 on my 930, i had the constant loading screen. I left it an hour, still loading. I performed a hard reset, I did not restore my device, I went with a clean install. Worked fine for an hour, then while setting a background image in my tiles, when I hit start to return to start screen, back to loading constantly. It was late at this point, so I left it over night to see if it was me being impatient. This morning, 7 hours later, still constant loading screen. I have flashed back to 8.1 with recovery tool.

I really liked what I saw, but a big start screen bug like this is a deal breaker for me at the moment. I look forward to a fix so that I can try again.

Martinspire

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So yeah, the whole "wait until done loading"-solution isn't really working out for me. It has been loading for 6 hours now and i doubt it will have a successful outcome.
I had hard-reset my phone, got the startscreen, installed my apps and then rebooted. And as soon as it gets back to loading the startscreen it is not working anymore.
I tried hard-resetting multiple times, i tried doing a blank 8.1 upgrade to 10 again but wasn't working. So rebooting will return the error and won't ever stop loading again.
Its very annoying and a showstopper. If i can't use my apps i can't try it for a few days to see how it works, to send requests and to submit (more) bugs.
Since it seems to be triggered by reboot, i can't test which app is the culprit and since i can't get to the applist, i can't do anything when it has rebooted.
I don't think i have apps installed that have any conflict with the startscreen (like the old folders-app) but i simply don't know whats wrong and it seems that this bug is something that couldn't be missed. Somebody must've had a 930 upgrade from 8.1 that wasn't working properly. And i've heard many other 930 owners with issues. The only ones that haven't, have yet to reboot their phone.
Now of course you could say "don't reboot your phone" but this seems like a non-solution. What if the battery runs out? What if some app requires a reboot? What if an error occurs and its rebooting? I just can't rely on it right now and only have one solution: go back to 8.1 and wait.

The solutions named above aren't working at all. And the only time the whole "loading" works if you have just updated your device. As soon as you reboot it won't work no more

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss