WIndows 10 is now avaiable for the ICON, What issues do you have ?

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I can report that I didn't have any problems installing. Do far, issues are:
1. Getting to stay screen is slow, sits at "loading..." For a few seconds.
2. I had 3 start screen folders; one works fine but was mislabeled with the name of another, the other two have disappeared and the apps contained in them can't be pinned to start (as if they already are pinned but they can't be found).
3. It's a bit slow/laggy/not smooth
There are other sniggles but so far these are the most significant

On the plus side:
LOVE the new OneNote app
Like Xbox music beta
Like the start screen background/transparency look
Like the dark theme
Like the settings and notifications
All settings seem more intuitive
Also:
Some tiles on start screen are blurry (crystal clear on lower rest 830)
Start screen background is compressed leaving right 3rd black (only an issue in full setting, change background to tiled is OK).
Unable to hit the ellipse in Internet Explorer (Spartan to the rescue?) seems due to scaling

I'll keep adding as I find. I think I'm going to do a hard reset after work today and see if that changes any experiences. At this point, its bearable for me on my daily driver but its a bit early in the assessment phase.

Last edited:

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Changing Start background to tiled has also resolved the performance issue when loading/returning to Start. So highly recommend changing this setting to tiled for a much better and more smooth/responsive experience!!

Ben Fulks

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I was having issues with Start screen folders. once i got rid of mine (annoyed by that) the loading of the start screen MOSTLY stopped. there are still some hang ups, but its not terribly often. I also can't create new folders...idk what that's about.

P.S. on full background, I like the transparent look.

Mark_Twain007

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
When I first installed I got the endless loading loop. It also destroyed my battery. I went from 50% to dead in 2ish hours. Eventually, I got the pull down notification area to work, and used that to get to a hard reset, which went better. As standard, the icons are huge, if I use the setting to make them smaller they are really small. Email seemed to work, but now won't download any new emails. Apps crash sometimes. I'm liking the new look and setup of everything, but if you need to keep using your phone I would not recommend the upgrade. Does anyone know a way to get your phone back to 8.1?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried going back to 8.1 Denim with Windows Recovery Tool on my Icon and now internet radio is bricked. Have no clue how to fix it. It sucks because I was trying to avoid installing 10 on my Icon but it pulled down the update automatically because I forgot to disable Windows Insider....

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have any luck syncing a second account to the new Outlook mail app? I have a second outlook.com account that I can add but it never sync's and this secondary account I use more often and it has all of my contacts.

UPDATE: Fixed. For anyone who might have had this issue, the fix is to install any other outlook.com account as an "Exchange" account and it will finally sync.

Last edited:

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well mine took the update last night.
It took a LONG time and I thought it was stuck in a loop. But eventually it did finish.
The start screen was buggy and didn't see it until I slid down the screen to get to settings and went back to home.

The first thing I noticed bad is that my contacts seem to be gone and I can not figure out how to import from a past save.
I clicked SYNC contacts and that seemed to sync what I had now in the phone.
Looks like it isn't downloading from Verizon's backup assistant properly.

Now that I played with the "Show more tiles" option in the start menu settings I am not getting the start menu to come back. I just get a LOADING screen. :-/

Maybe I will do a hard reset which I have not done yet.

Some things look pretty cool but some things are buggy.

PANTHERGM

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I got the notice about 11:30 AM (MST) fr the new 10 update. I said okay. I had issues with the upgrade and eventually it finished. I couldn't get my start menu (Live tiles) but could get into settings. that is about as far as I got. I finally had to do a Hard Reset in order to get the phone working again. Thank Goodness I had backed it all up before. When I finally got it up working the batter was low (Below 30%) and the phone was SUPER SLOW to respond to what I wanted it to do. Finally, I tried restoring all my apps via the windows store, but it said my phone couldn't be reached. I was able manually reinstall a download the apps. (Just a Few) The Verizon backup did not w to work. Email accounts, are all grouped into one tile. I looked to see if I could set Specific tiles for specific accounts. I had no luck with this. I also have had to do several soft resets of the phone. My advice is if this your primary means of communication. wait for a more stable version to come out.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Can not get any lte data on my icon NO MATTER WHAT. claims LTE in the top, it's turned on in the sim menu, but doesn't work. I'm on Bell in Canada with it, and never had any issues with 8.1. doesn't work at all, and 2 hard resets later, completely clean starts with no backups and still no luck. manually entered my apn, tried using automatic settings, still no data. No idea why. Turned it off and on, still no luck.

Had the same exact same issue as yours to the 'T'. It sucks, but the only way I got it to work was to switch my Straight Talk profile to spare SIM I had. I then put that SIM into my phone, the Icon ran the Windows Phone 8.1 LTE SIM registration, and my internet worked again.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok so here's my 50 cents :) I have l930, was on 8.1 Update 2, now 10 TP since yesterday.

The huge icons everyone talks about is the setting in "home screen". Just click show more tiles, and then you won't be able to make them huge anymore.
Phone seems to kinda work pretty well, considering it's a PREVIEW. Outlook mail works fine, but it has combined both my outlook and gmail mail, and then you choose between the 2. Callendar is nice too. Store BETA works fine with me, but didn't try downloading. The main issue is basicly reduced OS speed (it should not happen to L930), and the "loading" bug. Also, apps don't close, but when you close them by holding down arrow key, you won't come back to home screen, but it will show a blank page. If i press the arrow again, sometimes only a restart will help. But when i press windows key, it shows home. Most of the 8.1 apps actually work, surprisingly, but some of the new ones don't. I can no longer open Excel files...No suitable app installed...
Also, i can't change quick action on top (the menu that you expand down, and collapse). Setting are now very nice, and also there are a lot more of them now. Many new features. Bing search, under the search key, is very nice, and works fast. Now i can finally delete that google search app.

I like the way Microsoft is going with this. In the end it will be a very nice OS tho.
PS: The touchscreen not respond issue i had before, seemed to be gone for a day, but now it's back. Missed my pin 3 times, and now i can't enter my PUK code. I might need to roll back and hope it's a software thing :/

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I did a hard reset and it smoothed out.
I still lost my contacts since the update except I have some really OLD contacts in there for some reason.
They almost seem to be from when I had Windows Mobile 5.0 or something because some were old contacts I hadn't used since then.

I'm reinstalling a crap load of apps now.
But just as it seemed to be working good I was using Cortana and now when I push the windows key to go home it is LOADING for seconds and then goes back to Cortana.

I think my apps are still installing in the background. After a few I think another soft reset will be in order.

returnmyjedi

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I installed on my 930 just for shiggles really. Played around with it last night and today and have now reverted back to 8.1. The tiles are of a fuzzy low res, the transition animations take an age (as does unlocking), and half the settings are repeated on the app list. On the plus side the Xbox and new Music apps are pretty neat, but the Store Beta kept on crashing so took me an age to download them.

I restored using the Windows Recovery tool which seemed to work fine until I realized that it changed my handset from being locked to O2 (in the UK) to the CV. This wouldn't normally be an issue but only the o2 locked handsets have Visual Voicemail which I've become quite reliant upon. Thankfully I've still got Nokia Care suite on my PC so was able to use that to flash the o2 firmware to it, but a faff nevertheless.

I know that Windows 10 is a technical preview and still in development but I've been testing software for years and it feels more like a pre-alpha build than something that's supposedly less than 6 months from release.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm slowly installing my apps again after the second hard reset.

I do notice that a few apps from Nokia will NOT connect. That being Nokia account and mix Radio. Which really sucks since I use mix radio a lot!

Also Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus is not working.
That is why I have no contacts now. :-(

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm slowly installing my apps again after the second hard reset.

I do notice that a few apps from Nokia will NOT connect. That being Nokia account and mix Radio. Which really sucks since I use mix radio a lot!

Also Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus is not working.
That is why I have no contacts now. :-(

I personally never use Verizon's Backup.
But as long as you set them up in People, they will always be there, Including Windows 8/10 etc.
No relying on some 3rd party app they may or may not ever work at any given time.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Is "Hey Cortana" working for anyone? I noticed that it was its own app, but when I select it it states that I have to turn Cortana on first which it is. Also using Cortana for navigation does not appear to be supported as of yet which is sort of a bummer.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
So, I do have some issues, Pinch Zoom doesn't work in MyRadar.
Moving icons around on screen is very choppy and at times icons at the very top will move to the bottom when moving things around
I get a blank Start screen at time as well when try to go back to it, but locking and unlocking the phone fixes it

The backgrounds get squished to the right.

Not sure I like the new OneNote. It needs some tweaking big time.

I get Resuming for periods of time when moving back and forth, but I am sure this will be ironed out later.

So far so good. Can't wait till this thing gets more polish on it.

Really fast battery drain with BT on I think, and it gets hot with BT on.

Also notice the Mouse Cursor pop on screen at the very top left corner at times.
think it is getting confused with Continuum.
This MAY be the reason for some of the slow choppy resumes and blank screens

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven