Unable to Rollback From Windows 10 on 930 With Windows Phone Recovery Tool - Help?!

Alec Owens

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
So downloaded the new build of Windows 10 for phones out today on my Lumia 930, as cool as it was it's buggyness and bad rendering meant I can't really face living with it right now!

So downloaded the Windows Phone Recovery Tool 2.0.3, it identifies the phone, downloads the file, then 'Checking Anti-Theft Protection Status' while the phone goes into a restart loop. After a couple of mins 'Operation ended with a failure - try restarting etc.'

I tried the Lumia Software Recovery Tool 5.0.7 which got to the installation screen and said 'waiting for phone' while the phone itself displayed a 'refresh' like symbol in the screen. After a couple of minutes of nothing the program says 'restarting phone, flashing canceled' (or words to that extent).

I can see loads of people online have had issues, particularly with bricking devices (thankfully mine is still running W10), but would really like to go back to 8.1 asap. Anyone got any ideas here? Is there a better route to recovery than what I've been attempting?

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
So both tools detected your phone that's good but to roll back both tools have to download a 1.7gb system so this should take a while and what i understand it that the process your talking about took just minutes right?

Alec Owens

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
That file was downloaded... Windows Phone Recovery did that first time, then I believe they both recognised it had been downloaded after that.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
In my case Windows Phone Recovery tools reporting that I have latest version on L930 and only option is to reinstall software. No need to mention that on phone is WP 10 TP.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
In my case Windows Phone Recovery tools reporting that I have latest version on L930 and only option is to reinstall software. No need to mention that on phone is WP 10 TP.

Just do it and you will go back to 8.1. This wrong message happened to more people.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Mine said the same thing re: Phone having the latest software. I let it install anyway and ended up back on 8.1 denim running without problems. Give it a shot edit-sorry. Just saw harrie-s answer to you.

Alec Owens

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Nope, no fix! :( Sort of living with W10 atm, it's grown on me has to be said, it's not as buggy as it first seemed, but would still like to go back to 8.1 at some point!

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
It reports the firmware version which is the same for both.. I've given W10 a try on the 930 but it's way to bug ridden and unstable. It's really not suitable for any sort of public consumption just yet, IMO not even as a public preview.

On my way back to 8.1 as we speak. Had no problem reflashing 8.1 through the tool.

Last edited:

garbagedrew

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I know it's not the same phone but I was experiencing the above mentioned issue with my Lumia 928. I wasn't ready to try Windows 10 on my Icon. Nothing I did was working at first to restore the 928. Eventually, I shut off the sim card pin (since it was still on) but that had no effect. The Windows Software Recovery Tool kept failing until I turned off all the radios on the phone. Every single one. Cellular, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. I tried one more time and the Windows Software Recovery Tool worked like a charm. I did not try the Lumia Software Recovery Tool at any point.

So I would suggest to anyone still having this issue to disable ALL radios first and then try to perform a recovery. It's worth a shot since it worked for me.

Last edited:

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey dude, did you find a fix? I am having the EXACT same thing you are.
Successfully restore WP 8.1, WPRT showing same version but feel free to click reinstall, after two hour of restoring backup and apps right now phone is again on GDR2 (REQUIRE WINDOWS INSIDER APP).
Thinking that tomorrow again give a chance to WP 10 TP.

TomAllen37

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I installed Windows 10 on my Lumia 930 last night and after a day of having the loading screen in place of the start menu I gave up and tried to revert back to 8.1. I was using Lumia Software Recovery tool 5.0.7 but half way though it said "Software installation failed". I now can't even turn the phone one (either through hold the power up/ or holding power and volume down). When I plug it in, nothing happens on the screen but the computer makes the "bong" when a usb device is connected, and keeps repeating that every 30 seconds or so. Have I just killed my phone or is there a way to get it back up and running (I'll even take it going back to a buggy windows 10!). Thanks for any help.

josipogo

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Probably is in endless reboot since every 30 second you hear as you said "bong". Did you try to hold volume down and power for couple of second, minimum 10 second, and do you feel that phone vibrate on moment while you holding mentioned button? If the answer is yes, then is for sure endless reboot. You can try factory reset from link. This handful factory reset is helped to me yesterday.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/reset-my-phone

TomAllen37

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, Yes, I've tried holding down the volume button and power for ~30 seconds, no vibration or anything :/ If it's on an endless reboot, will it eventually run out of power? Is it worth leaving it for the weekend? Guess I don't have much choice!

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, Yes, I've tried holding down the volume button and power for ~30 seconds, no vibration or anything :/ If it's on an endless reboot, will it eventually run out of power? Is it worth leaving it for the weekend? Guess I don't have much choice!

Try a hard reset through the key combinations i dont remember it but iys detailed on ms website

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
this worked for my 930 when it was stuck in reboot...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro