How to keep Preview build from installing??

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I was met this morning with the notification that Windows 10 Preview is downloaded and ready to be installed on my Lumia Icon. This is because I had the Preview for Developers app on this phone, for Windows 8.1 updates. I was not aware that the Windows 10 Preview builds were now part of this program, since they were in their own separate program before.

EDIT: I don't even know how Windows Insider ended up on this phone, to be honest! I don't remember installing it at all. And I don't remember selecting the Slow or Fast channel either. I have it on my Lumia 635 though, set to Fast. Maybe it just applied it to this phone too?? I REALLY don't want this build on my Icon, and had I known that this program now includes Window 10 Mobile, I would have disabled it (I was keeping it on, hoping for WP 8.1 Update 2 to come out).

So now it says that this update will be automatically installed on 5/18/2015 at 3:00 AM if I don't install it manually before. There is no indication that I can STOP this from happening.

How can I STOP this update from automatically installing?

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue after installing update2 on my L930 ages ago and then uninstalling insider. I was advised by MS tech support that insider was probably still installed on my phone after I'd removed it, even though it was not in my app list. To prevent the installation they said to (1) change update settings and untick automatically download updates (2) do a back up (3) restore to factory settings (4) reinstall from the recent back up. It's probably not the answer you want but it worked for me.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hard reset/factory reset or use the WSRT is the only way to prevent the install.

Anyhow good luck and don't forget to backup your stuff on the Icon before the reset

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue after installing update2 on my L930 ages ago and then uninstalling insider. I was advised by MS tech support that insider was probably still installed on my phone after I'd removed it, even though it was not in my app list. To prevent the installation they said to (1) change update settings and untick automatically download updates (2) do a back up (3) restore to factory settings (4) reinstall from the recent back up. It's probably not the answer you want but it worked for me.

Worked for me as well. Thankfully restoring from a backup worked just fine - when I got my M8, I couldn't restore my backup from my 925 so I had to start from scratch. Kind of a pain. The restore today was great, and it's not showing the install as pending.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I hoped there was a way to keep it from installing without having to reset, since my phone is working great now, but alas it seems that is not to be. I will back up my phone and install Windows 10 Mobile and try it... might as well, if I have to do a hard reset anyway, right? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium