07-13-2015 06:55 PM
93 1234
tools
    So what exactly a "Surface Phone" is supposed to be, if there is any?
    I've been asking myself the same for years. A lot of people cry out "I want a Surface Phone" but not a single one has yet explained what on God's Green Earth is exactly "a Surface Phone".
    sahib lopez likes this.
    05-17-2015 05:47 PM
    I've been asking myself the same for years. A lot of people cry out "I want a Surface Phone" but not a single one has yet explained what on God's Green Earth is exactly "a Surface Phone".
    Basically a high end flagship that resembles the surfaces' external shell.
    colinkiama and bo_woods like this.
    05-17-2015 05:53 PM
    I believe that there should be no flagship phone--or any phone for that matter--using the "Surface" moniker... Keep it for tablets/laptop hybrids. Just find a better numbering or even naming system for Lumias that are low end, mid range, and flagship beginning with W10. It's a huge mess as it is now. Since Windows is using W10 to be a new beginning, let the phones released with it to have a new beginning with numbers/names.
    05-17-2015 06:18 PM
    Eight months ago, I wrote this on the Surface subreddit:

I can imagine a ARM-based tablet under the Lumia name (a la the 2520), an Atom-based small device using the Surface name, and Core-based larger devices using the Surface Pro name. Surface and Surface Pro would both run "all" programs, but the Pros would be faster, have larger screens, more memory and storage, etc. Surface would stay strictly in the computer space (i.e., continuing the comparison to the MBA rather than the iPad). Lumia would range from phones to tablets. Those products would square-off against iOS and Android devices. Given the recent "large screen" support added to WP 8.1.1, this seems plausible.
    The Atom-based Surface has come to market. (It remains to be seen if there will be another Lumia tablet.) I still doubt that Microsoft will extend the Surface name into phones and non-computer-y tablets. Surface is to Windows as Lumia is to Windows Mobile.
    Last edited by manicottiK; 05-18-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    bo_woods likes this.
    05-17-2015 07:07 PM
    Basically a high end flagship that resembles the surfaces' external shell.
    Well, if that's it, rejoyce! That's already out!

It's called "Nokia Lumia 930".
    sahib lopez likes this.
    05-17-2015 08:43 PM
    oh god, no, stop.. no more crap branding

microsoft surface = tablet
    microsoft lumia = phones

keep simple

microsoft surface
    microsoft surface PRO
    microsoft surface phone
    microsoft surface phone with windows 10 mobile PRO
    microsoft surface phone 10231 XL with windows 10 mobile PRO
    micorosft hololens surface lumia 212093 XL with windows 10 xbox edition
    Well, if you drop Microsoft off the name you nailed it on the first three (which are the real products). That is actually simpler.

Considering how they are pushing the idea of universal apps this isn't too crazy of an idea. Just look at the Windows 10 product SKUs.
    05-17-2015 09:02 PM
    I like Lumia. It has some traction. Trying to start a new naming convention like 'Surface' - probably not a great idea.

I also don't want a 5.7"+ screen. Too big. Why not just have a tablet?

I want amazing hardware, reliability and build quality.
    05-17-2015 09:54 PM
    I like Lumia. It has some traction. Trying to start a new naming convention like 'Surface' - probably not a great idea.

I want amazing hardware, reliability and build quality.
    You can get the 5.2" instead
    Last edited by colinkiama; 05-18-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    05-18-2015 12:48 PM
    Why can't I get something sized between a small phone and tablet if I want?
    05-18-2015 01:07 PM

Simple. A Surface Phone is a Lumia rebranded, and therefore no longer a craptastic Chevy Lumina.
    05-18-2015 09:11 PM
    Good God no. It's not some polycarbonate lump. It's a solid, metal, slanted/chamfered (however it's described) edge with a premium feel. And professional-aimed specs.
    05-18-2015 09:27 PM
    Loop
    Simple. A Surface Phone is a Lumia rebranded, and therefore no longer a craptastic Chevy Lumina.
    Excactly what ive been trying to say! Although using the Surface brand would of course require the phone to aesthetically somewhat blend with t he surface tablets, Surface phone doesn't neccessarily have to be some phone with a keyboard, or some blocky PC like design.. .Its just better branding for Microsofts flagship device.. .Surface Phone 1/1xl , then 2/2xl and so forth.. .instead of dead end 940,950,960,and so forth because once you reach 990, going up one more ten is gonna land you into a different class territory.. these are smart phones not car batteries, or chipsets. ..

Part of me feels Lumia for budget devices and surface phone for flagships, while another part of me feels Lumia for all, but the flagships definitely need their own name ..budget lumia branding can stay but as for flagships ,it should either be

Surface Phone/ Surface Phone Xl.. 1, 2 3 ,etc

Or

Lumia Pro/Lumia Pro Xl 1,2 ,3 ,etc
    Last edited by bo_woods; 05-18-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    05-18-2015 10:36 PM
    Loop

Excactly what ive been trying to say! Although using the Surface brand would of course require the phone to aesthetically somewhat blend with t he surface tablets, Surface phone doesn't neccessarily have to be some phone with a keyboard, or some blocky PC like design.. .Its just better branding for Microsofts flagship device.. .Surface Phone 1/1xl , then 2/2xl and so forth.. .instead of dead end 940,950,960,and so forth because once you reach 990, going up one more ten is gonna land you into a different class territory.. these are smart phones not car batteries, or chipsets. ..

Part of me feels Lumia for budget devices and surface phone for flagships, while another part of me feels Lumia for all, but the flagships definitely need their own name ..budget lumia branding can stay but as for flagships ,it should either be

Surface Phone/ Surface Phone Xl.. 1, 2 3 ,etc

Or

Lumia Pro/Lumia Pro Xl 1,2 ,3 ,etc
    Lumia Surface and Lumia Surface Pro
    05-19-2015 01:16 AM
    Lumia Surface and Lumia Surface Pro
    and Lumia Surface Pro 1055, Lumia Surface Pro 1055XL, Lumia Surface Pro 650, Lumia Surface Pro 655, Lumia Surface Pro 659 4G Dual...
    05-19-2015 09:20 AM
    You are missing the point. The numbering scheme is what we are trying to avoid. It's worse than the video card market.

You say iPhone, galaxy or note and people know what you're talking about. The marketing and branding behind the Lumia line currently sucks.
    colinkiama likes this.
    05-19-2015 09:29 AM
    You are missing the point. The numbering scheme is what we are trying to avoid. It's worse than the video card market.

You say iPhone, galaxy or note and people know what you're talking about. The marketing and branding behind the Lumia line currently sucks.
    I think he was just joking... I think
    05-19-2015 10:30 AM
    yeah whenever people ask me what phone it is, its hard to get them to understand the number scheme. Then they follow up asking how come their friends windows phone sucks (lumia 520) and I tell them its the low end one etc etc. Vs just saying iPhone, Note, Galaxy, etc get it together microsoft !
    bo_woods likes this.
    05-19-2015 10:35 AM
    yeah whenever people ask me what phone it is, its hard to get them to understand the number scheme. Then they follow up asking how come their friends windows phone sucks (lumia 520) and I tell them its the low end one etc etc. Vs just saying iPhone, Note, Galaxy, etc get it together microsoft !
    I see this all the time.. people with 5 and 6 series Lumias , claiming windows phone sucks , and not understanding that they bought a budget device..but who can blame them when the only windows phones you see on display are budget ones.. the only flagships left (being sold) are the 830 and m8
    05-19-2015 11:17 AM
    to be fair, Sammy have a scattergun approach with their Galaxy nomenclature too.
    05-19-2015 07:00 PM
    just saying iPhone, Note, Galaxy, etc get it together microsoft !
    what kind of bullcr4p is that?
    Iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6+
    How many different types of Galaxies are there? Just about every Samsung phone is a galaxy...

The only thing msft should do is be a bit more consistent : Lower number is lower specced, higher number is higher specced no matter the screen size... They could add XL for larger screens like with the 640, that makes sense imho.
    05-20-2015 01:09 AM
    There are many ways to argue both sides, one can say a bigger screen with maybe a higher resolution makes the phone having better specs therefore a higher number is valid. Nevertheless I would prefer the naming scheme with XL also more. Actually I think this is the direction where they are going.
    05-20-2015 01:40 AM
    Rumors said that the flagships are named "Cityman" and "Talkman".....

I hope this is not true.

I think Microsoft will use simple naming and numbering scheme for the coming flagship(s). They have already done that for the Surface lines.

For budget phones, it is fine to keep the existing naming scheme. It does not hurt as only the interested customers will pay attention to the model numbers.
    05-20-2015 02:30 AM
    They'll be internal codenames.
    Not even Microsoft's marketing department would be crazy enough to launch those names.
    And they're one sequin short of a full Eurovision act.​
    05-20-2015 02:34 AM
    what kind of bullcr4p is that?
    Iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6+
    How many different types of Galaxies are there? Just about every Samsung phone is a galaxy...

The only thing msft should do is be a bit more consistent : Lower number is lower specced, higher number is higher specced no matter the screen size... They could add XL for larger screens like with the 640, that makes sense imho.
    But with those devices you don't need to reference the model number. They have more of a car like branding recognition.

Ask someone what a lumia is. Odds are they'll think it's a Chevy. Or if they know it's a phone they'll have had exposure to a low or midrange device. Some people do know it as the phone that comes in cute colors.
    05-20-2015 10:03 AM
    Ask someone what a lumia is. Odds are they'll think it's a Chevy.
    seriously? you think that many people know more about some obscure car than Lumia Phone? this must be tongue in cheek humor......I had to search to get your reference.....
    05-20-2015 05:24 PM
93 1234