We need a Surface Phone for flagship

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree, Surface Phone won't cause cause confusion IMO because one is called "Surface" and the other is called "Surface Phone" ! You hear the word phone after it and instantly know it's a phone! Like Samsung does the opposite.. Galaxy alone is their phone brand while Galaxy Tab is their android Tablet brand.. and its nice that way

Surface phone would cause confusion between a Lumia and a Surface, not between a surface two-in-one and a surface phone. You've also just created two more kinds of devices. A Surface has now become a surface two-in-one and a surface phone. Instead of being able to say Surface and have everyone know exactly what you're talking about you've now diluted its identity.

A Lumia is a phone, a Surface is a laptop/tablet hybrid device. They should just leave it that way because it's a lot easier to market them.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
hey people,
just chiming in here as it sounds like a nice discussion...
I have some thoughts on what has been said here.
1. no more numbered phones
Don't agree. Microsoft really wants to widen the price range as much as possible to reach an audience as wide as possible. How else to do this as with numbers. One thing they could perhaps do is make it as consistent as it can be : low number = low specced phone, high number = flagship or higher specced phone. They shouldn't make a seperate number range for phones with a bigger display as they can also be lower specced phones.
2. name it Surface Phone
If they call it Surface Phone, no confusion would be possible I think but I would keep it to Lumia. People are now getting acquainted to the Lumia brand being Microsoft branded phones (there is no Lumia on the latest released phones iirc)

One thing I'm quite sure of is that when Microsoft releases a flagship, it will be totally WOW. If I look at the premium quality of my Surface Pro 3 and how the docking is designed, I'm quite sure that Microsoft has learned their lesson on how to create & develop hardware.

I'm very confident that really soon after the launch of Windows 10 (and Windows 10 for Phones) a new flagship will be announced with big drums and trombones :)

I'm an avid Windows user for over 15 years but I must admit that I haven't really LIKED Microsoft as much as I'm doing now :)
It clearly is a company that has a strategy to follow and using all means necessary to accomplish their goal :)

my 2 cents.

anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
oh god, no, stop.. no more crap branding

microsoft surface = tablet
microsoft lumia = phones

keep simple

microsoft surface
microsoft surface PRO
microsoft surface phone
microsoft surface phone with windows 10 mobile PRO
microsoft surface phone 10231 XL with windows 10 mobile PRO
micorosft hololens surface lumia 212093 XL with windows 10 xbox edition

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a HUGE problem with the name Lumia and it makes me cringe every time I hear someone butcher it to Lumina. I've stated this many times in the past about how terrible it is. I'd like the transition to rebrand the flagship to Surface and keep Lumia's on low end or ditch the name forever. It's not recognized here in the states at least to people I know and in the workplace.

It's been my experience that it is this mysterious thing people have heard a little about but never seen. When the 1520 first came out people were shocked by the size. But now they seem to like the size of the screen.

One question I frequently get when handing it over is "is it an android phone?".

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
MSFT is calculating a launch of Windows 10, that if done correctly will be relevant from August, until January of 2016. In a world that is continuing to ingratiate themselves with being more mobile dependent, it's still the PC's that do most of the heavy lifting, and it will be that base that Windows 10 will be a sight for sore eyes, as it merges the functionality and familiarity of Windows 7, with the aesthetic enhancements of Windows 8. There aren't too many people who aren't familiar with a Windows desktop set up. It's there that Windows 10 mobile will entice them. This is ultimately why, MSFT intends to launch a flagship phone with Windows 10 already uploaded. The key isn't going to be a spec heavy phone, but a phone that can function smoothly and efficiently. It's Android that draws a correlation between specs what a flagship is. It's going to be key features like continuum, Skype/sms integration, Cortana seamlessly transitioning between mobile and desktop devices, and the universal app process that's ultimately going to get people to gravitate to a windows mobile device. I'm as guilty as the next tech infused consumer, as I'm growing bored with my 1520, not out of dissatisfaction, but out of the notion of simply not wanting to wait for the inevitable. I can't wait to see how the whole Windows 10 suite presents itself, but I know it's going to be what we as Windows phone fans want and will be well worth the wait.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So what exactly a "Surface Phone" is supposed to be, if there is any?

I've been asking myself the same for years. A lot of people cry out "I want a Surface Phone" but not a single one has yet explained what on God's Green Earth is exactly "a Surface Phone".

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been asking myself the same for years. A lot of people cry out "I want a Surface Phone" but not a single one has yet explained what on God's Green Earth is exactly "a Surface Phone".
Basically a high end flagship that resembles the surfaces' external shell.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I believe that there should be no flagship phone--or any phone for that matter--using the "Surface" moniker... Keep it for tablets/laptop hybrids. Just find a better numbering or even naming system for Lumias that are low end, mid range, and flagship beginning with W10. It's a huge mess as it is now. Since Windows is using W10 to be a new beginning, let the phones released with it to have a new beginning with numbers/names.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Eight months ago, I wrote this on the Surface subreddit:

I can imagine a ARM-based tablet under the Lumia name (a la the 2520), an Atom-based small device using the Surface name, and Core-based larger devices using the Surface Pro name. Surface and Surface Pro would both run "all" programs, but the Pros would be faster, have larger screens, more memory and storage, etc. Surface would stay strictly in the computer space (i.e., continuing the comparison to the MBA rather than the iPad). Lumia would range from phones to tablets. Those products would square-off against iOS and Android devices. Given the recent "large screen" support added to WP 8.1.1, this seems plausible.

The Atom-based Surface has come to market. (It remains to be seen if there will be another Lumia tablet.) I still doubt that Microsoft will extend the Surface name into phones and non-computer-y tablets. Surface is to Windows as Lumia is to Windows Mobile.

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
oh god, no, stop.. no more crap branding

microsoft surface = tablet
microsoft lumia = phones

keep simple

microsoft surface
microsoft surface PRO
microsoft surface phone
microsoft surface phone with windows 10 mobile PRO
microsoft surface phone 10231 XL with windows 10 mobile PRO
micorosft hololens surface lumia 212093 XL with windows 10 xbox edition

Well, if you drop Microsoft off the name you nailed it on the first three (which are the real products). That is actually simpler.

Considering how they are pushing the idea of universal apps this isn't too crazy of an idea. Just look at the Windows 10 product SKUs.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I like Lumia. It has some traction. Trying to start a new naming convention like 'Surface' - probably not a great idea.

I also don't want a 5.7"+ screen. Too big. Why not just have a tablet?

I want amazing hardware, reliability and build quality.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I like Lumia. It has some traction. Trying to start a new naming convention like 'Surface' - probably not a great idea.

I also don't want a 5.7"+ screen. Too big. Why not just have a tablet?

I want amazing hardware, reliability and build quality.

You can get the 5.2" instead

Last edited:

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

Simple. A Surface Phone is a Lumia rebranded, and therefore no longer a craptastic Chevy Lumina.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Good God no. It's not some polycarbonate lump. It's a solid, metal, slanted/chamfered (however it's described) edge with a premium feel. And professional-aimed specs.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Loop
Simple. A Surface Phone is a Lumia rebranded, and therefore no longer a craptastic Chevy Lumina.

Excactly what ive been trying to say! Although using the Surface brand would of course require the phone to aesthetically somewhat blend with t he surface tablets, Surface phone doesn't neccessarily have to be some phone with a keyboard, or some blocky PC like design.. .Its just better branding for Microsofts flagship device.. .Surface Phone 1/1xl , then 2/2xl and so forth.. .instead of dead end 940,950,960,and so forth because once you reach 990, going up one more ten is gonna land you into a different class territory.. these are smart phones not car batteries, or chipsets. ..

Part of me feels Lumia for budget devices and surface phone for flagships, while another part of me feels Lumia for all, but the flagships definitely need their own name ..budget lumia branding can stay but as for flagships ,it should either be

Surface Phone/ Surface Phone Xl.. 1, 2 3 ,etc

Or

Lumia Pro/Lumia Pro Xl 1,2 ,3 ,etc

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Loop

Excactly what ive been trying to say! Although using the Surface brand would of course require the phone to aesthetically somewhat blend with t he surface tablets, Surface phone doesn't neccessarily have to be some phone with a keyboard, or some blocky PC like design.. .Its just better branding for Microsofts flagship device.. .Surface Phone 1/1xl , then 2/2xl and so forth.. .instead of dead end 940,950,960,and so forth because once you reach 990, going up one more ten is gonna land you into a different class territory.. these are smart phones not car batteries, or chipsets. ..

Part of me feels Lumia for budget devices and surface phone for flagships, while another part of me feels Lumia for all, but the flagships definitely need their own name ..budget lumia branding can stay but as for flagships ,it should either be

Surface Phone/ Surface Phone Xl.. 1, 2 3 ,etc

Or

Lumia Pro/Lumia Pro Xl 1,2 ,3 ,etc
Lumia Surface and Lumia Surface Pro

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You are missing the point. The numbering scheme is what we are trying to avoid. It's worse than the video card market.

You say iPhone, galaxy or note and people know what you're talking about. The marketing and branding behind the Lumia line currently sucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion