We need a Surface Phone for flagship

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You are missing the point. The numbering scheme is what we are trying to avoid. It's worse than the video card market.

You say iPhone, galaxy or note and people know what you're talking about. The marketing and branding behind the Lumia line currently sucks.

I think he was just joking... I think

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
yeah whenever people ask me what phone it is, its hard to get them to understand the number scheme. Then they follow up asking how come their friends windows phone sucks (lumia 520) and I tell them its the low end one etc etc. Vs just saying iPhone, Note, Galaxy, etc get it together microsoft !

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
yeah whenever people ask me what phone it is, its hard to get them to understand the number scheme. Then they follow up asking how come their friends windows phone sucks (lumia 520) and I tell them its the low end one etc etc. Vs just saying iPhone, Note, Galaxy, etc get it together microsoft !

I see this all the time.. people with 5 and 6 series Lumias , claiming windows phone sucks , and not understanding that they bought a budget device..but who can blame them when the only windows phones you see on display are budget ones.. the only flagships left (being sold) are the 830 and m8

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
to be fair, Sammy have a scattergun approach with their Galaxy nomenclature too.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
just saying iPhone, Note, Galaxy, etc get it together microsoft !
what kind of bullcr4p is that?
Iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6+
How many different types of Galaxies are there? Just about every Samsung phone is a galaxy...

The only thing msft should do is be a bit more consistent : Lower number is lower specced, higher number is higher specced no matter the screen size... They could add XL for larger screens like with the 640, that makes sense imho.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
There are many ways to argue both sides, one can say a bigger screen with maybe a higher resolution makes the phone having better specs therefore a higher number is valid. Nevertheless I would prefer the naming scheme with XL also more. Actually I think this is the direction where they are going.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Rumors said that the flagships are named "Cityman" and "Talkman".....

I hope this is not true.

I think Microsoft will use simple naming and numbering scheme for the coming flagship(s). They have already done that for the Surface lines.

For budget phones, it is fine to keep the existing naming scheme. It does not hurt as only the interested customers will pay attention to the model numbers.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They'll be internal codenames.
Not even Microsoft's marketing department would be crazy enough to launch those names.
And they're one sequin short of a full Eurovision act.​

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
what kind of bullcr4p is that?
Iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6+
How many different types of Galaxies are there? Just about every Samsung phone is a galaxy...

The only thing msft should do is be a bit more consistent : Lower number is lower specced, higher number is higher specced no matter the screen size... They could add XL for larger screens like with the 640, that makes sense imho.
But with those devices you don't need to reference the model number. They have more of a car like branding recognition.

Ask someone what a lumia is. Odds are they'll think it's a Chevy. Or if they know it's a phone they'll have had exposure to a low or midrange device. Some people do know it as the phone that comes in cute colors.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
A bit serious and a bit tongue in cheek. Are you in the US? I'd say people here would be more familiar with the car. Although I don't think it has been in production for a while.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
But with those devices you don't need to reference the model number. They have more of a car like branding recognition.

Ask someone what a lumia is. Odds are they'll think it's a Chevy. Or if they know it's a phone they'll have had exposure to a low or midrange device. Some people do know it as the phone that comes in cute colors.
I think you'd be very much surprised how many people know the Lumia brand.

I have a 930 and someone here once actually asked me if that was an Icon just by the look of the backside... A girl even so no guy tech geek...

Here in Belgium Lumia is getting more and more acquainted...

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think you'd be very much surprised how many people know the Lumia brand.

I have a 930 and someone here once actually asked me if that was an Icon just by the look of the backside... A girl even so no guy tech geek...

Here in Belgium Lumia is getting more and more acquainted...

girls can be tech greeks too, and considering the fact that the ICON is a U.S exclusive and she actually she knew it existed, she probably was somewhat a tech geek

TheHouseBunny

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Using the Surface name for a flagship phone is not a bad idea imho.

But the main thing MS needs to do i slim down the number of different version and localized phones they have, it's just confusing the customers.

Keep it simple Microsoft.

640/640XL = Low-end small and large screen.
840/840XL = Mid-end small and large screen.
1040/1040XL = High-end small and large screen.
Surface Phone/Surface Phone Pro = 5.2" and 6" flagship phone.

This slims the range down to 8 models instead of 30+ and the customer will be much less confused.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

But the main thing MS needs to do i slim down the number of different version and localized phones they have, it's just confusing the customers.

Well, MS did remove the start screen resize arrows on the PC because they were confusing people. How that confused anyone is beyond me. Even if we are really dumbing things down. But they do need the keep is simple approach to the marketing.

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Keep it simple Microsoft.

640/640XL = Low-end small and large screen.

840/840XL = Mid-end small and large screen.

1040/1040XL = High-end small and large screen.

Surface Phone/Surface Phone Pro = 5.2" and 6" flagship phone.

This slims the range down to 8 models instead of 30+ and the customer will be much less confused.

10xx is for camera phones
9xx is for flagships
Maybe they will eliminate 13xx and 15xx just by using XL, or maybe not.
I would subdivide phablets from "phones with big screen".

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
10xx is for camera phones
9xx is for flagships
Maybe they will eliminate 13xx and 15xx just by using XL, or maybe not.
I would subdivide phablets from "phones with big screen".

10xx or 9xx should be used to represent a flagship phone that is also camera phone.. these two should not be two separate classes.. its unnecessary IMO... no need for both... just 9xx OR 10xx, and whichever one is used should be a camera phone AND a flagship device

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
10xx or 9xx should be used to represent a flagship phone that is also camera phone.. these two should not be two separate classes.. its unnecessary IMO... no need for both... just 9xx OR 10xx, and whichever one is used should be a camera phone AND a flagship device

A Lumia 930/920/925 isn't a camera phone.
A lumia 1020 (the only one in the Lumia line) is a camera phone.

That's extremely different a phone and a camera phone. Not just megapixels, but sensor quality and the possibility to use tripods (camera grip is for that other than the grip itself).

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
A Lumia 930/920/925 isn't a camera phone.
A lumia 1020 (the only one in the Lumia line) is a camera phone.

That's extremely different a phone and a camera phone. Not just megapixels, but sensor quality and the possibility to use tripods (camera grip is for that other than the grip itself).

I wasn't saying the 9xx series were camera phones. I understand the 10xx are camera phones and the 9xx are main flagships.. I was saying that they shouldn't have to be separate and the main flagship series should also be camera phones.. so essentially the two different series should be merged as one..One flagship that is great with all the latest features but is also a camera phone.. I don't think its necessary for them to be two different series.. Why not just put your best camera on the regular flagship?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb