07-13-2015 06:55 PM
93 1234
tools
    A bit serious and a bit tongue in cheek. Are you in the US? I'd say people here would be more familiar with the car. Although I don't think it has been in production for a while.
    Curtieson and EMINENT 1 like this.
    05-20-2015 10:21 PM
    But with those devices you don't need to reference the model number. They have more of a car like branding recognition.

Ask someone what a lumia is. Odds are they'll think it's a Chevy. Or if they know it's a phone they'll have had exposure to a low or midrange device. Some people do know it as the phone that comes in cute colors.
    I think you'd be very much surprised how many people know the Lumia brand.

I have a 930 and someone here once actually asked me if that was an Icon just by the look of the backside... A girl even so no guy tech geek...

Here in Belgium Lumia is getting more and more acquainted...
    05-21-2015 12:12 AM
    I think you'd be very much surprised how many people know the Lumia brand.

I have a 930 and someone here once actually asked me if that was an Icon just by the look of the backside... A girl even so no guy tech geek...

Here in Belgium Lumia is getting more and more acquainted...
    girls can be tech greeks too, and considering the fact that the ICON is a U.S exclusive and she actually she knew it existed, she probably was somewhat a tech geek
    SamJHannan, dgrn23 and Sam_Cook like this.
    05-21-2015 05:49 AM
    Using the Surface name for a flagship phone is not a bad idea imho.

But the main thing MS needs to do i slim down the number of different version and localized phones they have, it's just confusing the customers.

Keep it simple Microsoft.

640/640XL = Low-end small and large screen.
    840/840XL = Mid-end small and large screen.
    1040/1040XL = High-end small and large screen.
    Surface Phone/Surface Phone Pro = 5.2" and 6" flagship phone.

This slims the range down to 8 models instead of 30+ and the customer will be much less confused.
    hotphil, michail71 and dgrn23 like this.
    05-21-2015 11:32 PM

But the main thing MS needs to do i slim down the number of different version and localized phones they have, it's just confusing the customers.
    Well, MS did remove the start screen resize arrows on the PC because they were confusing people. How that confused anyone is beyond me. Even if we are really dumbing things down. But they do need the keep is simple approach to the marketing.
    05-22-2015 12:18 AM

Keep it simple Microsoft.

640/640XL = Low-end small and large screen.

840/840XL = Mid-end small and large screen.

1040/1040XL = High-end small and large screen.

Surface Phone/Surface Phone Pro = 5.2" and 6" flagship phone.

This slims the range down to 8 models instead of 30+ and the customer will be much less confused.

10xx is for camera phones
    9xx is for flagships
    Maybe they will eliminate 13xx and 15xx just by using XL, or maybe not.
    I would subdivide phablets from "phones with big screen".
    05-23-2015 06:22 AM
    10xx is for camera phones
    9xx is for flagships
    Maybe they will eliminate 13xx and 15xx just by using XL, or maybe not.
    I would subdivide phablets from "phones with big screen".
    10xx or 9xx should be used to represent a flagship phone that is also camera phone.. these two should not be two separate classes.. its unnecessary IMO... no need for both... just 9xx OR 10xx, and whichever one is used should be a camera phone AND a flagship device
    05-24-2015 09:33 AM
    10xx or 9xx should be used to represent a flagship phone that is also camera phone.. these two should not be two separate classes.. its unnecessary IMO... no need for both... just 9xx OR 10xx, and whichever one is used should be a camera phone AND a flagship device

A Lumia 930/920/925 isn't a camera phone.
    A lumia 1020 (the only one in the Lumia line) is a camera phone.

That's extremely different a phone and a camera phone. Not just megapixels, but sensor quality and the possibility to use tripods (camera grip is for that other than the grip itself).
    05-24-2015 10:21 AM
    A Lumia 930/920/925 isn't a camera phone.
    A lumia 1020 (the only one in the Lumia line) is a camera phone.

That's extremely different a phone and a camera phone. Not just megapixels, but sensor quality and the possibility to use tripods (camera grip is for that other than the grip itself).
    I wasn't saying the 9xx series were camera phones. I understand the 10xx are camera phones and the 9xx are main flagships.. I was saying that they shouldn't have to be separate and the main flagship series should also be camera phones.. so essentially the two different series should be merged as one..One flagship that is great with all the latest features but is also a camera phone.. I don't think its necessary for them to be two different series.. Why not just put your best camera on the regular flagship?
    05-24-2015 10:26 AM
    Because the flagship would be too thick, bulky and heavy compared to others
    05-25-2015 10:06 AM
    Microsoft doesn't rely on WC for any business analytics.
    Not entirely true. MS does pull data from the Windows 10 forums on user feedback/requests/complaints and it merges with their Insider data from the Technical Preview. In fact, I spoke to Gabe Aul about this analytics questions during Build. They are supposed to be doing a post on the Windows Blog at some time on the W10 data analytics stuff, though not sure if they will mention the forums they collect data from.

In terms of watching these forums, of course MS employees are in here. However, it does not mean that every idea is treated as a good one.
    YanivC, Guytronic and EMINENT 1 like this.
    05-25-2015 10:22 AM
    Not entirely true. MS does pull data from the Windows 10 forums on user feedback/requests/complaints and it merges with their Insider data from the Technical Preview. In fact, I spoke to Gabe Aul about this analytics questions during Build. They are supposed to be doing a post on the Windows Blog at some time on the W10 data analytics stuff, though not sure if they will mention the forums they collect data from.

In terms of watching these forums, of course MS employees are in here. However, it does not mean that every idea is treated as a good one.
    Thanx for the read back Daniel!
    I stand corrected...
    Last edited by Guytronic; 05-25-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Content
    05-25-2015 10:38 AM
    Because the flagship would be too thick, bulky and heavy compared to others

That's it.

Not everyone likes 1020 for its bulky camera, but personally I love the camera and the possibility to attach the camera grip for better grip and "gain the ability" to use the tripod.

I have all of these.

Black Lumia 1020, black camera grip, and 2 tripods, one short for desks, one variable up to 1.5 meters :P

Oh, and I didn't tell you I even have the lenses for phones, fisheye, zoom in 1.5x, wide-angle, macro, and so on, didn't I?

Camera phones are for this kind of guys ^
    05-26-2015 03:50 AM
    I think people like the idea of having the surface brand carry over to their mobile line for the purpose of having one unified phone brand like the iPhone. Like numerous people have said before, Lumia has been saturated. It can still be used and should, but I don't think they should continue to use it for lower end models. Period.

If Microsoft is going to keep that brand, they should use it for only one style of phone with maybe a regular and xl version and different internal storage. Let other companies create more budget style phones. There isn't a budget surface is there? Why should there be for whatever the new line of Microsoft phones? There shouldn't. That line should be the cream of the crop
    05-26-2015 03:13 PM
    I'm afraid that Microsoft's focus on the low end is hurting the overall image of Windows phone. Today I was at a meeting and the woman beside me asked if I had broke my phone. I was like "what" and she said that her daughter broke her iPhone and "a phone like mine" was what they got her to hold her over until she became eligible for an upgrade in a couple months. She didn't seem very tech savvy (though she had an iPhone 6 Plus), so I can understand how she could my 1520 for lower end Lumia. But what it says to me is to your average user, Windows Phone looks like a low end Go Phone.
    hotphil, Dk92 and EMINENT 1 like this.
    05-26-2015 05:45 PM
    I hope it has a xenon flash aaand glance screen
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    05-27-2015 08:40 PM
    Microsoft, please please please please please, I BEG OF YOU to please make a Windows phone with a:

DIGITAL PEN SIMILAR TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE/SURFACE PRO

What is the point of using ONENOTE when you don't have a friggin pen to write your stuff in? How can I draw on freshpaint without a pen? I am suppose to use my fingers? All other stuff is fine, but please make a windows phone with a pen!!! pleeeeasseee!!! And yes I already gave my suggestion in the Microsoft feedback website, please I ask other Microsoft users to do the same!

The phone can be called: Microsoft Lumia Note, or Samsung Galaxy Windows 10 Note, Or Microsoft Windows Surface Note.
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    05-30-2015 06:01 PM
    Microsoft, please please please please please, I BEG OF YOU to please make a Windows phone with a:

DIGITAL PEN SIMILAR TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE/SURFACE PRO

What is the point of using ONENOTE when you don't have a friggin pen to write your stuff in? How can I draw on freshpaint without a pen? I am suppose to use my fingers? All other stuff is fine, but please make a windows phone with a pen!!! pleeeeasseee!!! And yes I already gave my suggestion in the Microsoft feedback website, please I ask other Microsoft users to do the same!

The phone can be called: Microsoft Lumia Note, or Samsung Galaxy Windows 10 Note, Or Microsoft Windows Surface Note.
    LOL, I could see the Samsung lawyers foaming at the mouth. They'd be ready for payback over the patents MS owns.
    05-31-2015 10:49 PM
    LOL, I could see the Samsung lawyers foaming at the mouth. They'd be ready for payback over the patents MS owns.
    LOL
    Samsung doesn't have any patents over using a pen with a phone. In fact they are likely already licensing Microsoft's patents on the pen as well.
    05-31-2015 10:55 PM
    LOL
    Samsung doesn't have any patents over using a pen with a phone. In fact they are likely already licensing Microsoft's patents on the pen as well.
    I just meant the names suggested above :) I'm sure Samsung would take exception to MS releasing a phone called the Note.
    06-01-2015 07:36 AM
    I originally thought that was the reason for them to acquiring N-Trig. So they could make a Surface Phone with a n-trig stylus. I'd pay a premium for that. One day it'll happen.
    06-04-2015 09:30 AM
    I originally thought that was the reason for them to acquiring N-Trig. So they could make a Surface Phone with a n-trig stylus. I'd pay a premium for that. One day it'll happen.
    That's what the rumor is saying now. That there will be pen support. Makes sense MS would stick with consistent technology. Unless they want to sell 2x the pens, lol. But that would be a cheap move. Anyway, people would probably buy more anyways as you'd always be losing it between having multiple devices.
    06-04-2015 08:24 PM
    Got my vote!
    06-06-2015 08:04 AM
    They could use Microsoft Lumia OneNote - that could be a cool name, and hopefully be completely integrated into OneNote
    06-08-2015 06:40 AM
    I don't agree with changing the name over to Surface. The Lumia name is a great choice, and they should continue to use it. I've thought about the product lines and offerings, and here are my thoughts:

1. Limit phone model numbers!
    currently have

4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx, 9xx, 10xx, 13xx, and 15xx

Cut it down to 5 or 6, max!

5xx - entry level for developing countries
    6xx - entry level for US/UK
    8xx - mid level for US/UK
    9xx - flagship for US/UK
    10xx - flagship camera phone for US/UK

coin toss between keeping 7xx as another mid tier option, or sticking with just the 8xx series.

While they do and should encourage other device makers to support Win phones, there should be some base standards for the Lumia line to ensure smooth user experience and app availability across product lines. For Win10, 1 (ideally 2) gigs of RAM, minimum for all Lumia devices. FFC and flash on all devices. Dedicated camera button for mid-tier and up phones.

Have 6xx, 8xx, and 9xx product lines offer XL versions of devices. Release device(s) every 6 months, with a yearly refresh.

IE release 5xx, 6xx and 9xx at the same time. Then release 8xx and 10xx lines roughly 6 months later. Other WP manufacturers can release devices as they see fit, but the Lumia line desperately needs some kind of consistency in release cycles.

I'd also say start every product line at x50 to coincide with Win10 launch, so 550, 650, 850, 950, and 1050. From there only use x51 for yearly updates. So if the 550 was released in October of 2015, the 551 would be released in October of 2016. Then the following year, release the 560. No more carrier specific numbering schemes (ie 521, 822, or 928). Uniformity would be key (the iOS numbering scheme is simple and effective imo and would be nice to adopt something similar)
    06-08-2015 06:54 AM
93 1234