We need a Surface Phone for flagship

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't rely on WC for any business analytics.

Not entirely true. MS does pull data from the Windows 10 forums on user feedback/requests/complaints and it merges with their Insider data from the Technical Preview. In fact, I spoke to Gabe Aul about this analytics questions during Build. They are supposed to be doing a post on the Windows Blog at some time on the W10 data analytics stuff, though not sure if they will mention the forums they collect data from.

In terms of watching these forums, of course MS employees are in here. However, it does not mean that every idea is treated as a good one.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely true. MS does pull data from the Windows 10 forums on user feedback/requests/complaints and it merges with their Insider data from the Technical Preview. In fact, I spoke to Gabe Aul about this analytics questions during Build. They are supposed to be doing a post on the Windows Blog at some time on the W10 data analytics stuff, though not sure if they will mention the forums they collect data from.

In terms of watching these forums, of course MS employees are in here. However, it does not mean that every idea is treated as a good one.

Thanx for the read back Daniel!
I stand corrected...

Last edited:

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Because the flagship would be too thick, bulky and heavy compared to others

That's it.

Not everyone likes 1020 for its bulky camera, but personally I love the camera and the possibility to attach the camera grip for better grip and "gain the ability" to use the tripod.

I have all of these.

Black Lumia 1020, black camera grip, and 2 tripods, one short for desks, one variable up to 1.5 meters :p

Oh, and I didn't tell you I even have the lenses for phones, fisheye, zoom in 1.5x, wide-angle, macro, and so on, didn't I?

Camera phones are for this kind of guys ^

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I think people like the idea of having the surface brand carry over to their mobile line for the purpose of having one unified phone brand like the iPhone. Like numerous people have said before, Lumia has been saturated. It can still be used and should, but I don't think they should continue to use it for lower end models. Period.

If Microsoft is going to keep that brand, they should use it for only one style of phone with maybe a regular and xl version and different internal storage. Let other companies create more budget style phones. There isn't a budget surface is there? Why should there be for whatever the new line of Microsoft phones? There shouldn't. That line should be the cream of the crop

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm afraid that Microsoft's focus on the low end is hurting the overall image of Windows phone. Today I was at a meeting and the woman beside me asked if I had broke my phone. I was like "what" and she said that her daughter broke her iPhone and "a phone like mine" was what they got her to hold her over until she became eligible for an upgrade in a couple months. She didn't seem very tech savvy (though she had an iPhone 6 Plus), so I can understand how she could my 1520 for lower end Lumia. But what it says to me is to your average user, Windows Phone looks like a low end Go Phone.

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft, please please please please please, I BEG OF YOU to please make a Windows phone with a:

DIGITAL PEN SIMILAR TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE/SURFACE PRO

What is the point of using ONENOTE when you don't have a friggin pen to write your stuff in? How can I draw on freshpaint without a pen? I am suppose to use my fingers? All other stuff is fine, but please make a windows phone with a pen!!! pleeeeasseee!!! And yes I already gave my suggestion in the Microsoft feedback website, please I ask other Microsoft users to do the same!

The phone can be called: Microsoft Lumia Note, or Samsung Galaxy Windows 10 Note, Or Microsoft Windows Surface Note.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft, please please please please please, I BEG OF YOU to please make a Windows phone with a:

DIGITAL PEN SIMILAR TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE/SURFACE PRO

What is the point of using ONENOTE when you don't have a friggin pen to write your stuff in? How can I draw on freshpaint without a pen? I am suppose to use my fingers? All other stuff is fine, but please make a windows phone with a pen!!! pleeeeasseee!!! And yes I already gave my suggestion in the Microsoft feedback website, please I ask other Microsoft users to do the same!

The phone can be called: Microsoft Lumia Note, or Samsung Galaxy Windows 10 Note, Or Microsoft Windows Surface Note.

LOL, I could see the Samsung lawyers foaming at the mouth. They'd be ready for payback over the patents MS owns.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
LOL, I could see the Samsung lawyers foaming at the mouth. They'd be ready for payback over the patents MS owns.
LOL
Samsung doesn't have any patents over using a pen with a phone. In fact they are likely already licensing Microsoft's patents on the pen as well.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
LOL
Samsung doesn't have any patents over using a pen with a phone. In fact they are likely already licensing Microsoft's patents on the pen as well.

I just meant the names suggested above :) I'm sure Samsung would take exception to MS releasing a phone called the Note.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I originally thought that was the reason for them to acquiring N-Trig. So they could make a Surface Phone with a n-trig stylus. I'd pay a premium for that. One day it'll happen.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I originally thought that was the reason for them to acquiring N-Trig. So they could make a Surface Phone with a n-trig stylus. I'd pay a premium for that. One day it'll happen.

That's what the rumor is saying now. That there will be pen support. Makes sense MS would stick with consistent technology. Unless they want to sell 2x the pens, lol. But that would be a cheap move. Anyway, people would probably buy more anyways as you'd always be losing it between having multiple devices.

Sam_Cook

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't agree with changing the name over to Surface. The Lumia name is a great choice, and they should continue to use it. I've thought about the product lines and offerings, and here are my thoughts:

1. Limit phone model numbers!
currently have

4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx, 9xx, 10xx, 13xx, and 15xx

Cut it down to 5 or 6, max!

5xx - entry level for developing countries
6xx - entry level for US/UK
8xx - mid level for US/UK
9xx - flagship for US/UK
10xx - flagship camera phone for US/UK

coin toss between keeping 7xx as another mid tier option, or sticking with just the 8xx series.

While they do and should encourage other device makers to support Win phones, there should be some base standards for the Lumia line to ensure smooth user experience and app availability across product lines. For Win10, 1 (ideally 2) gigs of RAM, minimum for all Lumia devices. FFC and flash on all devices. Dedicated camera button for mid-tier and up phones.

Have 6xx, 8xx, and 9xx product lines offer XL versions of devices. Release device(s) every 6 months, with a yearly refresh.

IE release 5xx, 6xx and 9xx at the same time. Then release 8xx and 10xx lines roughly 6 months later. Other WP manufacturers can release devices as they see fit, but the Lumia line desperately needs some kind of consistency in release cycles.

I'd also say start every product line at x50 to coincide with Win10 launch, so 550, 650, 850, 950, and 1050. From there only use x51 for yearly updates. So if the 550 was released in October of 2015, the 551 would be released in October of 2016. Then the following year, release the 560. No more carrier specific numbering schemes (ie 521, 822, or 928). Uniformity would be key (the iOS numbering scheme is simple and effective imo and would be nice to adopt something similar)

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
1. Limit phone model numbers!
currently have

4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx, 9xx, 10xx, 13xx, and 15xx

Cut it down to 5 or 6, max!

5xx - entry level for developing countries
6xx - entry level for US/UK
8xx - mid level for US/UK
9xx - flagship for US/UK
10xx - flagship camera phone for US/UK

The most discriminative post that I have ever seen. Do you really think that people in countries other than the US/UK can't afford buying any phone but the 5xx line?
For OP, the answer is: No, we don't need a Surface Phone. It's clear that Surface is for tablets/hybrids and Lumia is for phones. Making a Surface Phone will only cause confusion. The Lumia brand is widly recognised. People know that Lumia 9xx, 10xx and 15xx are for flagships. And that the higher the number is, the better the phone is.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the post was meant to imply that at all.

They were just pointing out that the bar for the first tier may have to be set a little lower. I assume they then meant that the other developed tiers would be available to all. I personally would have used the term developed, rather than US/UK.

I would be aghast if that post really was the most offensive thing that you had ever seen, as your comment alludes. Discrimination is a different thing entirely, and I think the use of the term is misplaced.

In terms of your comment on the surface phone, I really do agree. Lets give the Lumia brand some kudos back, and see it represent flagships and entry level.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm willing to bet MS execs read these boards for research purposes so I'd like to propose a marketing idea for them.

Create a high end flagship phone and call it the Surface Phone. No crazy 3-4 digit number schemes, etc and endless carrier variants that come out every other week, ENOUGH with that *&%@! The Lumia brand has just been way too saturated with low end devices that then get neglected.

Keep it simple and piggy back on the Surface brand. It will help unify the products, just like Windows 10 is doing.

And please, a large screen phablet version to replace the 1520 is needed. The iPhone 6+ has made this acceptable now. And please for the sake of humanity and all that's good in this world, don't skimp screen size on us. This can be the Surface Phone Pro.

I'm sorry. No. This is a HORRIBLE idea.

Microsoft likes to make a distinction between its product lines. There was Surface RT. Surface. And Surface Pro. Then there is the Enterprise Business Class (if I am not mistaken). Consumers identify and develop loyalty based upon product branding. If, for any reason, a Surface Phone was developed and horrible--- people may associate the "Surface" brand as being bad in every dimension. A loose analogue to this would be the Amazon Fire Phone. The Fire Tablets are great for what they do (media consumption), but a Fire phone was absolute garbage.

Microsoft already has the Lumia brand. They don't need a "surface" phone.

Sam_Cook

May 22, 2015
Visit site
The most discriminative post that I have ever seen. Do you really think that people in countries other than the US/UK can't afford buying any phone but the 5xx line?
For OP, the answer is: No, we don't need a Surface Phone. It's clear that Surface is for tablets/hybrids and Lumia is for phones. Making a Surface Phone will only cause confusion. The Lumia brand is widly recognised. People know that Lumia 9xx, 10xx and 15xx are for flagships. And that the higher the number is, the better the phone is.

Absolutely not! While I used US/UK in my writings before, my overall intent was to imply developed countries in general. And by all means, I would suggest that more than just the 5xx line should be available in developing countries, it's just that the bar shouldn't be set lower than that (meaning I wouldn't suggest new Lumia 4xx or even 3xx product lines being released). As a Black woman, I try to take care not to discriminate against anyone, so my apologies if it seemed as though I was doing so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750