07-13-2015 06:55 PM
93 123 ...
tools
    I'm willing to bet MS execs read these boards for research purposes so I'd like to propose a marketing idea for them.

Create a high end flagship phone and call it the Surface Phone. No crazy 3-4 digit number schemes, etc and endless carrier variants that come out every other week, ENOUGH with that *&%@! The Lumia brand has just been way too saturated with low end devices that then get neglected.

Keep it simple and piggy back on the Surface brand. It will help unify the products, just like Windows 10 is doing.

And please, a large screen phablet version to replace the 1520 is needed. The iPhone 6+ has made this acceptable now. And please for the sake of humanity and all that's good in this world, don't skimp screen size on us. This can be the Surface Phone Pro.
    05-15-2015 11:44 PM
    The 640 XL is proof they know big phones have a place in the market. Granted it is 'only' 5.7", it still has a bigger screen than the iPhone 6+. Overall, the phone is physically the size of a 1520 as well. I don't think you will have to worry about them releasing a flagship phone that is around 5.7" or bigger.

I would like a Surface phone though, that has specific features that other Windows phones do not have.
    05-16-2015 12:13 AM
    Well I said this earlier, but if you look at the ASUS Zen Phone 2 and look at the Surface 3, the former is as if the latter were smashed into a phone form factor. I think its reasonable to expect a Surface phone (continuum anyone?). Although I think they stated that Surface is for tablets and that weird 80 inch display they have. We don't have that long to wait anyways.
    05-16-2015 12:22 AM
    Am excited to see what MS has to offer for FLAGSHIP PHONE, I will upgrade to it any how. But I wish there will be best features
    05-16-2015 12:31 AM
    I think they would never mess a brand for tablet/PC hybrid with phones.
    Lumia for smartphones, Surface for tablet and tablet/PC hybrids.
    Also, Surface brand isn't so much strong here in Europe, one of the most relevant markets for Lumias, especially Italy, where the market share has always been stronger than other countries.
    We just need a killer phone, a flagship that would take others down.
    They also should make a 1020 sucessor, since it attracted many users for its massive specs for camera, ending up some of them took a Lumia, while other changed mind towards Windows Phone.
    kevin_tenza and snowmutt like this.
    05-16-2015 12:39 AM
    I'm willing to bet MS execs read these boards for research purposes
    Microsoft doesn't rely on WC for any business analytics.
    They pay huge amounts of money to consumer research firms to watchdog market trends.
    Good decisions drive stock prices up.
    Bad goes the other way.

Happy shareholders is what determines what will be.
    I doubt they're happy with Microsoft Mobile right now.
    05-16-2015 12:54 AM
    Naming a phone Surface would cause more confusion than anything. I do agree that they need to knock it off with the numbering scheme for country variants. They could've just as easily done something with the sku/serial number so that sellers could differentiate,as in most cases they're the ones who are going to be concerned with it. Then they'd be able to have something like a Lumia S, Lumia and Lumia XL. The last thing you should lack while trying to gain traction is identity.
    05-16-2015 09:01 AM
    Microsoft doesn't rely on WC for any business analytics.
    They pay huge amounts of money to consumer research firms to watchdog market trends.
    Good decisions drive stock prices up.
    Bad goes the other way.

Happy shareholders is what determines what will be.
    I doubt they're happy with Microsoft Mobile right now.
    Not saying they rely on it, just that they may see it. I've been involved in projects where we were browsing public forums out of simple curiosity. It was hard biting my tongue and not jumping in to the discussions.

I've been at companies that dump huge amounts of money into consumer research firms. Often ignoring their own internal creative talent that wound up being correct in the end. Marketing execs sometimes get caught up in spending those budgets while ignoring the simple ideas and common sense around them. Then since they paid a fortune for it they take it as gospel.

IHMO, these things have their place but nothing game changing or industry shaking ever comes from these research firms.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 05-16-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    05-16-2015 10:57 AM
    I agree, Surface Phone won't cause cause confusion IMO because one is called "Surface" and the other is called "Surface Phone" ! You hear the word phone after it and instantly know it's a phone! Like Samsung does the opposite.. Galaxy alone is their phone brand while Galaxy Tab is their android Tablet brand.. and its nice that way
    05-16-2015 06:33 PM
    I agree, Surface Phone won't cause cause confusion IMO because one is called "Surface" and the other is called "Surface Phone" ! You hear the word phone after it and instantly know it's a phone! Like Samsung does the opposite.. Galaxy alone is their phone brand while Galaxy Tab is their android Tablet brand.. and its nice that way
    Surfaces aren't available everywhere so not everyone knows about them but lumias are becoming recognised in most places now. Scrapping the name to change it to surface would be a bad idea since the brand would have to gain attention again. It would be nice if they did something similar with the Lumia icon. Lumia (insert word here) and Lumia (use that word again) xl. That way you keep a more recognised brand and a name that no one will get confused with. Then when they plan to make a sequel, they can just add a 2 to the name, the customer will know exactly what it is too, it's foolproof
    snowmutt, Mach_E and aximtreo like this.
    05-16-2015 07:16 PM
    Surfaces aren't available everywhere so not everyone knows about them but lumias are becoming recognised in most places now. Scrapping the name to change it to surface would be a bad idea since the brand would have to gain attention again. It would be nice if they did something similar with the Lumia icon. Lumia (insert word here) and Lumia (use that word again) xl. That way you keep a more recognised brand and a name that no one will get confused with. Then when they plan to make a sequel, they can just add a 2 to the name, the customer will know exactly what it is too, it's foolproof
    I really like that too! But the idea isn't to scrap Lumia period, it is just to Seperate Lumia from flagship phones.. budget and midrange phones would still be called Lumia.. But I really Like that idea ! Lumia Pro and Lumia Pro Xl maybe? And add 1,2,3,and so forth for each gen just like the they would with surface phone. .
    05-16-2015 07:20 PM
    I really like that too! But the idea isn't to scrap Lumia period, it is just to Seperate Lumia from flagship phones.. budget and midrange phones would still be called Lumia.. But I really Like that idea ! Lumia Pro and Lumia Pro Xl maybe? And add 1,2,3,and so forth for each gen just like the they would with surface phone. .
    Thanks, but now that I've read this, your idea is awesome too, surface phone for the flagship and Lumia from the low end and midrange phones. It does make alot of sense.
    Zomby Jeezus and bo_woods like this.
    05-16-2015 07:23 PM
    So what exactly a "Surface Phone" is supposed to be, if there is any?

Is it a Windows Phone with the following?

• pen support
    • a mini type cover? (does it make sense to type in such a tiny type cover...?)
    • with a mini docking station (for continuum)?
    • With kickstand? (But that will make the phone obviously thicker)

I am confused. Yes, "Surface" phone sounds great. But what do we expect it has to be?
    snowmutt, DJCBS and sahib lopez like this.
    05-16-2015 09:11 PM
    Mop
    So what exactly a "Surface Phone" is supposed to be, if there is any?

Is it a Windows Phone with the following?

• pen support
    • a mini type cover? (does it make sense to type in such a tiny type cover...?)
    • with a mini docking station (for continuum)?
    • With kickstand? (But that will make the phone obviously thicker)

I am confused. Yes, "Surface" phone sounds great. But what do we expect it has to be?
    It doesn't have to be anything more than an updated, modern and astounding flagship windows phone that succeeds Nokias previous flagships.. the Surface Phone moniker is simply a name, that some of us think a should be applied to future Microsoft flagship phones.. .it doesn't neccessarily have to have any type of laptop like features. .. Surface Phone just seems like better branding.. . But of course alongaide the phone being called Surface Phone, some design element swould have to change to make it more similar and blend in with the surface Tablet, such as a more metallic body, instead of a full plastic one.. The Surface Phone name doesn't neccessarily come along with a list of speca and features that It needs to be itself nor is It a specific physical concept within itself .. It is just a brand some people think Microsoft should use, along with a little bit more of consistence between the flagship Microsoft phone and it's Tablet/laptop brother

Just my 2 pennies
    Zomby Jeezus likes this.
    05-16-2015 09:51 PM
    Lumia Surface, lol! But I really do think the Lumia line was oversaturated with products the majority of the public (at least high end market) have no interest in. It reminds me of the video card market. You really need to be an expert to make an sense of all the model numbers. Keep it simple, simple marketing.

Stats already show flagship phones are where app sales do their best too. And MS has not done much for that market. If they are pushing universal apps that should be a focus.
    snowmutt and aximtreo like this.
    05-16-2015 10:24 PM
    Also, people keep asking me if my Lumia 1520 is an iPhone. I tell them what it is and what os it run. Then they are curious and ask to take a closer look. I see some boredom with android in them and curiosity. Yet, they haven't heard much about the Lumia brand or WP in general. But they do seem curious for a change.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-16-2015 10:28 PM
    Mop

It doesn't have to be anything more than an updated, modern and astounding flagship windows phone that succeeds Nokias previous flagships.. the Surface Phone moniker is simply a name, that some of us think a should be applied to future Microsoft flagship phones.. .it doesn't neccessarily have to have any type of laptop like features. .. Surface Phone just seems like better branding.. . But of course alongaide the phone being called Surface Phone, some design element swould have to change to make it more similar and blend in with the surface Tablet, such as a more metallic body, instead of a full plastic one.. The Surface Phone name doesn't neccessarily come along with a list of speca and features that It needs to be itself nor is It a specific physical concept within itself .. It is just a brand some people think Microsoft should use, along with a little bit more of consistence between the flagship Microsoft phone and it's Tablet/laptop brother

Just my 2 pennies
    Agree. The brand name "Surface" sounds much better than "Microsoft".

Surface has come to the attention of those Apple & Android users. More and more people say "Surface, wow, very nice". But for "Microsoft", they still have some negative impression.

Brand name is important to all Microsoft products. Windows Phone does need a fresh new brand name.

Microsoft has the power and experience to build another cool brand name, just like what they did for Surface Pro 3 / Surface 3, Xbox, etc.

A cool brand name attracts people to try the product without too much hesitation.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-16-2015 11:13 PM
    I like so may points being brought up on this thread:

The most important in my opinion, is NO MORE NUMBER SCHEMES!! Seriously- in this day and age when companies are spitting out devices like cherry pits at a juicing company number schemes are a death knell. It is a holdover from when Nokia was king of the mobile phone world and the Nokia name was enough to sell a phone. With the market over saturated with choices, number schemes are sterile and unable to gain any traction. Lumia is a great branding. Run with it. I do not care if you use lettering, nicknames of designers best friends, or even mountain ranges as a way to separate low from premium, just ditch the numbers.

The absolute LEAST they could is make the scheming more productive. Start over from scratch with W10. Designate a set of numbers for low end, mid range, and premium. Than stick in that number range for ALL your devices. If you say 300 is low end, so be it. That gives you 99 numbers. Go in order, and help your consumers to see what is the latest in the line (302 would be older than a 303 all day).

I do not even like that. But at least it would be easier to brand in the marketplaces.
    05-17-2015 11:52 AM
    Back on topic- I actually would prefer to stick with the Surface name for tablets. I have ZERO problems with a premium Lumia phone having the design language of a Surface tablet. I think that would amazing. But as far as branding I think Microsoft has been doing a nice job growing the Surface tablet line. And in all honesty the tablet line is much more important to MS's core audience than mobile phones. I would hate to water down one of the markets which is actually showing nice growth for MS just for the sake of another market.
    05-17-2015 11:57 AM
    I have a HUGE problem with the name Lumia and it makes me cringe every time I hear someone butcher it to Lumina. I've stated this many times in the past about how terrible it is. I'd like the transition to rebrand the flagship to Surface and keep Lumia's on low end or ditch the name forever. It's not recognized here in the states at least to people I know and in the workplace.
    05-17-2015 12:31 PM
    Surface phone would cause confusion between a Lumia and a Surface, not between a surface two-in-one and a surface phone. You've also just created two more kinds of devices. A Surface has now become a surface two-in-one and a surface phone. Instead of being able to say Surface and have everyone know exactly what you're talking about you've now diluted its identity.

A Lumia is a phone, a Surface is a laptop/tablet hybrid device. They should just leave it that way because it's a lot easier to market them.
    05-17-2015 12:33 PM
    hey people,
    just chiming in here as it sounds like a nice discussion...
    I have some thoughts on what has been said here.
    1. no more numbered phones
    Don't agree. Microsoft really wants to widen the price range as much as possible to reach an audience as wide as possible. How else to do this as with numbers. One thing they could perhaps do is make it as consistent as it can be : low number = low specced phone, high number = flagship or higher specced phone. They shouldn't make a seperate number range for phones with a bigger display as they can also be lower specced phones.
    2. name it Surface Phone
    If they call it Surface Phone, no confusion would be possible I think but I would keep it to Lumia. People are now getting acquainted to the Lumia brand being Microsoft branded phones (there is no Lumia on the latest released phones iirc)

One thing I'm quite sure of is that when Microsoft releases a flagship, it will be totally WOW. If I look at the premium quality of my Surface Pro 3 and how the docking is designed, I'm quite sure that Microsoft has learned their lesson on how to create & develop hardware.

I'm very confident that really soon after the launch of Windows 10 (and Windows 10 for Phones) a new flagship will be announced with big drums and trombones :)

I'm an avid Windows user for over 15 years but I must admit that I haven't really LIKED Microsoft as much as I'm doing now :)
    It clearly is a company that has a strategy to follow and using all means necessary to accomplish their goal :)

my 2 cents.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-17-2015 01:31 PM
    oh god, no, stop.. no more crap branding

microsoft surface = tablet
    microsoft lumia = phones

keep simple

microsoft surface
    microsoft surface PRO
    microsoft surface phone
    microsoft surface phone with windows 10 mobile PRO
    microsoft surface phone 10231 XL with windows 10 mobile PRO
    micorosft hololens surface lumia 212093 XL with windows 10 xbox edition
    xibartx, snowmutt and MrPhilicorda like this.
    05-17-2015 01:40 PM
    I have a HUGE problem with the name Lumia and it makes me cringe every time I hear someone butcher it to Lumina. I've stated this many times in the past about how terrible it is. I'd like the transition to rebrand the flagship to Surface and keep Lumia's on low end or ditch the name forever. It's not recognized here in the states at least to people I know and in the workplace.
    It's been my experience that it is this mysterious thing people have heard a little about but never seen. When the 1520 first came out people were shocked by the size. But now they seem to like the size of the screen.

One question I frequently get when handing it over is "is it an android phone?".
    05-17-2015 03:19 PM
    MSFT is calculating a launch of Windows 10, that if done correctly will be relevant from August, until January of 2016. In a world that is continuing to ingratiate themselves with being more mobile dependent, it's still the PC's that do most of the heavy lifting, and it will be that base that Windows 10 will be a sight for sore eyes, as it merges the functionality and familiarity of Windows 7, with the aesthetic enhancements of Windows 8. There aren't too many people who aren't familiar with a Windows desktop set up. It's there that Windows 10 mobile will entice them. This is ultimately why, MSFT intends to launch a flagship phone with Windows 10 already uploaded. The key isn't going to be a spec heavy phone, but a phone that can function smoothly and efficiently. It's Android that draws a correlation between specs what a flagship is. It's going to be key features like continuum, Skype/sms integration, Cortana seamlessly transitioning between mobile and desktop devices, and the universal app process that's ultimately going to get people to gravitate to a windows mobile device. I'm as guilty as the next tech infused consumer, as I'm growing bored with my 1520, not out of dissatisfaction, but out of the notion of simply not wanting to wait for the inevitable. I can't wait to see how the whole Windows 10 suite presents itself, but I know it's going to be what we as Windows phone fans want and will be well worth the wait.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-17-2015 05:02 PM
93 123 ...