Trying to update to Windows 10 build 10080 actually installed 8.1 GDR2

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I had updated my Lumia 920 running 8.1 with Lumia Denim (was also running Preview for Developers) to Windows 10 Mobile build 10080 a couple of days ago. This was the first time I had tried a Windows 10 build on my phone and was running into several issues, like a never loading Start Screen etc and very (VERY) sluggish performance along with continuously crashing apps.

I assumed that maybe the update had gone wrong and decided to bite the bullet and reset the device (I had never even once reset it since I had gotten the phone in late 2012) despite the fact I'd loose everything on the phone. But even after several hard resets (both from Settings > about and via the Power, then Vol. Dn exclamation mark screen) the problems with the 10080 build remained.

So I finally decided to give up and go back to 8.1 using the Recovery Tool, and it installed Lumia Cyan on my device which I then updated to Lumia Denim via Settings > phone update. I hadn't installed Preview for Developers this time. (I also learned the hard way that if you don't choose to restore from a backup during initialization, that last backup gets overwritten with the new configuration and is lost forever).

Now today, I again decided to give 10080 another shot since the phone is starting from a clean state. I installed Windows Insider app and enrolled in the fast ring, after updating, instead of getting 10080, I ended up on Windows 8.10.15116.125 which happens to be Update 2/GDR2.

vespernova7

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
what happened is that you now have update twice. 8.1 update 2 is now available for windows insider users, so if you started up at win 8.1 and updated to build 10080. you'll end up with 8.1 update 2 first. also if you have your insider set for slow ring instead of fast ring it wouldn't give you build 10080. as for 8.1 update 2 being released to the L920 i have no idea as my L1520 should have got it first

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You won't stay on that long. It will start the process to upgrade to 10 very soon.

You can start it sooner in the phone update section, but otherwise its just an extra step in the upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre